• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question for the Harrison faithful.

Started by Buck183, October 13, 2015, 08:17:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck183

This question is specifically for the girls side of things. 

I see comments quite often referencing long term club play from a young age being the reason this team has been so consistently competitive over the years.  I see replies on this forum and in newspaper print both. I believe I've even seen quotes from your coach about it too if I'm not mistaken.

Here's my question. What club do they play for typically? 

The reason I ask. My daughter has played club ball for nine years now. We have never, not one time, played a team from Harrison.  Are they playing under a different name?  Are the players traveling to other clubs and playing on different teams?  Geographically there aren't any clubs very close to Harrison.

There is one player that travels every week and plays on my daughter's team. Aside from her I haven't seen any other kids from this town in our club.

Where are the kids playing that we keep hearing reference to?

Buck

sevenof400

I can't speak with 100% certainty on this, but if I recall correctly, a few Harrison girls have (in the past) traveled to the NW corner to play for classic teams around the Fayetteville to Bentonville areas.  However, more of the Harrison girls likely have played their club ball on rec teams in Harrison. For a good number of years, Harrison has had a significant club program at the rec level that has allowed their girls to play from August through May (and into June in some cases). 

It is hard to overestimate the value on simply having access to organized training and regular touches on the ball throughout the entirety of the calendar year.  For a city located next to nowhere, Harrison does an excellent job of maintaining a constant supply of girls in the pipeline for their current and future teams. 

MB Hog

We used to play against the Harrison Angels once or twice a year in some tournaments in Little Rock.  It typically came down to them and us for championships... and they probably won a few more than we did.

They were very good and very fast.  I have wondered, at times, why we don't see them anymore now that we are in the older girls ages.

Buck183

October 20, 2015, 10:49:57 am #3 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:36:22 pm by Buck183
Quote from: sevenof400 on October 18, 2015, 10:50:18 am
I can't speak with 100% certainty on this, but if I recall correctly, a few Harrison girls have (in the past) traveled to the NW corner to play for classic teams around the Fayetteville to Bentonville areas.  However, more of the Harrison girls likely have played their club ball on rec teams in Harrison. For a good number of years, Harrison has had a significant club program at the rec level that has allowed their girls to play from August through May (and into June in some cases). 

It is hard to overestimate the value on simply having access to organized training and regular touches on the ball throughout the entirety of the calendar year.  For a city located next to nowhere, Harrison does an excellent job of maintaining a constant supply of girls in the pipeline for their current and future teams.

This is the answer I was looking for.  Confirmed what I thought was the case. 

I agree, one cannot underestimate the value of organized training regardless of the level of play. 

It had been communicated to me that these kids were playing at the state and regional level for years.  That's where we have been playing for years and have yet to see one team from Harrison at any of these tournaments nor have we ever played a team from Harrison in our travels.  President's Cup is coming up in a couple weeks and this made me think about them possibly being there.  Given your reply I'd say they won't be.

Basically they are playing Rec 2 soccer while staying local and playing other city level teams. 

Thanks for the reply.  It helped a lot.  I've always wondered.

Buck

Sir Alex

Nope, that is not correct.  They have crossed the border.

Buck183

Quote from: Sir Alex on October 22, 2015, 08:42:25 am
Nope, that is not correct.  They have crossed the border.

Care to elaborate?  When you say "crossed the border", do you mean they have played at other levels or they have played across state lines? 

Buck

Sir Alex

Buck183

Quote from: Sir Alex on October 22, 2015, 10:10:37 pm
They play in Missouri.

Ok, so rather than driving the distance to Bentonville or Fayetteville, they are staying closer to home by driving a couple miles north and crossing the state line? 

Basically they're playing on a local city league team, staying close to home, and playing Rec 2 soccer. That pretty much sum it up?

Buck

Sir Alex

Yep, basically they are playing in a rec league booting it around a bunch... 

BigChief

I think it has been a combination of thing over the years. Players traveling to play in NWA with Comets and Lightning. Some have gone to Springfield, MO and played club ball. Some years there are local (mostly)single age teams that travel quite a bit. Some of these teams just go to Springfield and play league there. Some have traveled all over the place - i.e. Texas, KC, STL, Memphis. The key is that they are playing year round against better competition than just regular local rec leagues.

Buck183

Quote from: BigChief on October 25, 2015, 09:34:16 pm
I think it has been a combination of thing over the years. Players traveling to play in NWA with Comets and Lightning. Some have gone to Springfield, MO and played club ball. Some years there are local (mostly)single age teams that travel quite a bit. Some of these teams just go to Springfield and play league there. Some have traveled all over the place - i.e. Texas, KC, STL, Memphis. The key is that they are playing year round against better competition than just regular local rec leagues.

Thank you. 

sevenof400

It is also worth reemphasizing that a critical factor in Harrison's success was / is Chris Pratt.  Never underestimate the effect an actual soccer guy as coach can have on a program at a high school.  Far too many schools will not provide the resources to hire a soccer guy (or gal) and just let them coach soccer.  While I suspect Coach Pratt has other coaching duties at Harrison, many schools would be well served to follow Harrison's model. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 27, 2015, 07:23:28 am
It is also worth reemphasizing that a critical factor in Harrison's success was / is Chris Pratt.  Never underestimate the effect an actual soccer guy as coach can have on a program at a high school.  Far too many schools will not provide the resources to hire a soccer guy (or gal) and just let them coach soccer.  While I suspect Coach Pratt has other coaching duties at Harrison, many schools would be well served to follow Harrison's model.

I'm not sure what his other duties are, but I think he is the Assistant AD. That's a big responsibility with coaching boys/girls soccer. He is also pretty involved in the youth soccer, or used to be anyway.

Go Postal

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 28, 2015, 09:36:28 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on October 27, 2015, 07:23:28 am

I'm not sure what his other duties are, but I think he is the Assistant AD. That's a big responsibility with coaching boys/girls soccer. He is also pretty involved in the youth soccer, or used to be anyway.
I could be wrong, but I thought he was the Head AD and Head boys/girls soccer coach.

To add in about getting soccer experience for the athletes, along with playing club ball, also playing larger conferences during the soccer season doesn't hurt.  For instance, Harrison plays against 6A and 7A teams in non conference play.

The South conference on the boys side have been strong for the last few years with addition of DeQueen.
It was interesting to note on the girls side that the West conference had 3 teams in the semifinals last season and one from Central conference.  Greenbrier, Harrison, LRCA and PA.

Accomplishment that the Goblins and Lady Goblins need to shoot for...
Harrison boys/girls overall championship record is still tied for 1st place with 6A Searcy with PA and 7A Bentonville knocking on the door.  Both boys/girls made it to the playoffs with the Lady Goblins playing in the semis last year but you have to win it all to move up in this record.  I have faith in our great soccer program, coach and athletes to do the very best they can each year.

10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
10 Harrison (6B / 4G)
9 Pulaski Academy (3B / 6G)
9 Bentonville (3B / 6G)<<<<2015 change
7 Central Arkansas Christian (2B / 5G)<<<<2015 change
6 Little Rock Christian (3B / 3G)<<<<2015 change
6 De Queen (6B)<<<<2015 change
5 Fayetteville (1B / 4G)
5 LR Catholic (5B)

Buck183

December 05, 2015, 10:03:46 am #14 Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:08:26 am by Buck183
Edit

Deuceswild

These Girls are coming back healthy and hungry after last years disappointment in the Semis. Feel sorry for the teams having to face them. Coach Pratt always makes a winning combination with whoever he puts on the field.

Buck183

Quote from: Deuceswild on January 01, 2016, 02:52:26 pm
These Girls are coming back healthy and hungry after last years disappointment in the Semis. Feel sorry for the teams having to face them. Coach Pratt always makes a winning combination with whoever he puts on the field.

Any clue why Siloam and Harrison aren't playing each other this year? 

I heard a rumor, but I don't like rumors. 

Buck

Sir Alex

Quote from: Buck183 on January 02, 2016, 10:43:25 pm

I haven't heard any rumors.  The schedule shows the boys playing each other.  The girls had a commitment to fulfill before going to blended conference next year.  Siloam Springs and Harrison will be in the same blended conference next year so you will get to see them twice.  May be they will meet up at West Plains this year.

Buck

Buck183

Quote from: Sir Alex on January 14, 2016, 11:54:27 am
Quote from: Buck183 on January 02, 2016, 10:43:25 pm

I haven't heard any rumors.  The schedule shows the boys playing each other.  The girls had a commitment to fulfill before going to blended conference next year.  Siloam Springs and Harrison will be in the same blended conference next year so you will get to see them twice.  May be they will meet up at West Plains this year.

Buck

I too wondered about the West Plains tournament.  That final last year was a slug fest.  Also wondered about the Harrison Tournament. Siloam is going to it so they could cross paths there. 

Just thought it odd that the boys were playing on the schedule and the girls weren't.  This battle has been going on for years. 

Buck

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas