• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will they reschedule state because of horrilbe field conditions?

Started by soccer72450, May 13, 2014, 12:27:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

soccer72450

Have two friends one in Harrison and other in Russellville  that report field conditions are horrible.
Harrison fields underwater (they are bad even when not soaked)  and Russellville fields are a mud pit with goose crap all over the place.   I would think this is not only dangerous but some places have closed access to locations because of the health risk associated with feces .    Just curious if they will move dates, or move playing times to Friday and Saturday?

sevenof400

One of the issues associated with playing 3 games in 3 days is what to do when this sort of issue emerges.  I suspect some discussion about this contingency occurred during the bid process so the host should be prepared for a shift in the schedule.  Should that occur, the most likely solution is to move everything back one day. 

But if that occurs this year, with all the graduations occurring throughout the same weekend, what a crap storm that would bring about....

soccer72450

Well it they pushed it back to a Sat.Sun.mon. option that might work.   Regardless most of the field are in the middle of cow pasture and do not have the underpinning for drainage.    Looking at the forecast Rain today & Wednesday does not look like much drying will take place.    Just interested if this has occurred before and how it was dealt with.    There is no Good solution.   Playing in mud and feces is unacceptable and changing dates is tough on all.     Host schools should be making alternate plans and conveying them to all schools.   Last minute change is never good.

sevenof400

Quote from: soccer72450 on May 13, 2014, 01:17:05 pm
Well it they pushed it back to a Sat.Sun.mon. option that might work.   Regardless most of the field are in the middle of cow pasture and do not have the underpinning for drainage.    Looking at the forecast Rain today & Wednesday does not look like much drying will take place.    Just interested if this has occurred before and how it was dealt with.    There is no Good solution.   Playing in mud and feces is unacceptable and changing dates is tough on all.     Host schools should be making alternate plans and conveying them to all schools.   Last minute change is never good.

There were postponements at Burns Park a few years ago (2010 or 2011 - I can't recall the exact year) that resulted in the tournament being pushed back a couple of days.  About the only hard deadline that is faced is the tournament would really need to be done by Tuesday in order to allow teams time to prepare and travel for the finals. 

There is some wiggle room in the current schedule - but not a lot. 

coach cleats

Harrison fields are next to crooked creek and the soil is mostly sand. They drain well. Unless we get five or six inches of rain they will be ok.

dispossessed

Quote from: soccer72450 on May 13, 2014, 01:17:05 pm

Perfect futbol conditions!!

Sir Alex

Not sure about the feces!   :P maybe if we call it poop it would not be as bad. 

Go Postal

Not sure of what town you are referring to,  but I promise that I didn't defecate anywhere near the 3 Harrison turf fields.  I have 3 bathrooms at my house. ;D

I remember when Harrison had that crooked creek flood not to long ago before the playoffs (not sure of the year, seven or Sir Alex help me out)(there are vids on youtube of that torrential rain) but Harrison parks and recreation cleaned the damage up and it was a nice 1st round and quarterfinal round.  This year, turf fields should be alright for the 1st and quarterfinal rounds.  if it rains on Saturday in the semifinals, it will be played at the Stadium on the synthetic turf.

HorseFeathers

Been Raining since yesterday evening in Russellville...Well it's stopped for the last couple of hours. And it's supposed to start raining again tonight, and rain off an on through thursday....So...Will they send the American Football players in to settle this tournament, since it's to be played in mud and poo?

Lionheart88

Just hold all the Harrison games at the stadium.  Sure, you'd need to hold them around the clock, but so what?  Teenagers are probably up in the middle of the night anyway.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 13, 2014, 09:46:07 pm
Just hold all the Harrison games at the stadium.  Sure, you'd need to hold them around the clock, but so what?  Teenagers are probably up in the middle of the night anyway.

Probably? I thought that was one of the givens in life....Death Taxes, and teenagers staying up all night?
Quote from: soccer72450 on May 13, 2014, 12:27:01 pm
Have two friends one in Harrison and other in Russellville  that report field conditions are horrible.
Harrison fields underwater (they are bad even when not soaked)  and Russellville fields are a mud pit with goose crap all over the place.   I would think this is not only dangerous but some places have closed access to locations because of the health risk associated with feces .    Just curious if they will move dates, or move playing times to Friday and Saturday?

Russellville fields, they're out by the darn correct?, were built on filled in wetlands/swamp...what did they expect when it started raining?

The Coach

Russellville fields, they're out by the darn correct?, were built on filled in wetlands/swamp...what did they expect when it started raining?
[/quote]

Yes and they are not that great without the rain.

Go Postal

Yeah, but it would be a long day for the sport's parents/fans.  Though I sometimes stay up with 20+, 30+, 40+ and 50+ Worldwide friends as a 57 year old on PS4 video games.  But that is another story.  LOL ;D

sevenof400

HorseFeathers

Raining today in Pope County....Might swing out by the soccer fields just to see if they are more lake today than field...

Basketball13

hogbert

Word.

Sir Alex

Games are as scheduled in Harrison.  May be a bit of snow tonight. 

Go Postal

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 14, 2014, 07:19:00 pm
Games are as scheduled in Harrison.  May be a bit of snow tonight.
Have to switch to the yellow balls then. :)

Go Postal

HF, it could be interesting for you seeing your first futbol game in the same conditions as in football.  Cold, wet and muddy.  You can really see the talent of some athletes, not only against great opponents, but also how they can play in adverse field conditions.  Another thing that I forgot to tell you in another thread, Home teams wears white like in basketball, but in this case, Home teams could possibly be muddy brown. ;)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Go Postal on May 14, 2014, 07:50:56 pm
HF, it could be interesting for you seeing your first futbol game in the same conditions as in football.  Cold, wet and muddy.  You can really see the talent of some athletes, not only against great opponents, but also how they can play in adverse field conditions.  Another thing that I forgot to tell you in another thread, Home teams wears white like in basketball, but in this case, Home teams could possibly be muddy brown. ;)

I'm sure the Goose Poo will only add to the excitement of this weekend :D

sevenof400

With respect to Harrison's fields, they were just a bit soft today but seemed to hold up quite well all things considered.  They didn't cut up too bad either. 

And there were no holes in the net!

All kidding aside full marks to Harrison Parks and Rec and the Harrison School District for some outstanding fields today!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas