• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jonesboro vs Conway

Started by ricepig, September 05, 2010, 09:59:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

I guess this is the game that would be showing in the blackout areas if El Do and Har-Ber were the main TV feed. Last year when we were scheduling games, our AD said we were looking at Conway, SS, Greenwood, and maybe Camden Fairview. When he said we had scheduled Conway, I was like, good we've got a good chance against them. Well, looks like somebody has awakened the Wampus Cats, and we are in for a tough one. I realize that the interwebs don't work in Conway, has anyone ever made a post from there in the last 3 years? However, Valley and several from the Central have been putting out the word, they are good and talented, and well coached.

Jonesboro will have to play 100% better than they did in their first game, and I think they will. My son says they had two of their hardest practices on Thursday and Friday, but they also were their two best this year. I'm not sure where we have an advantage, normally we have a speed advantage against every team we face, except WM, but what little I've seen of Conway puts it equal at best. I think we will have to score early and avoid the hole SS put themself in, I'm a homer, but I've got the Canes winning 42-41.

I understand they are expecting a big crowd for the game, our AD said Conway was bringing 10 buses, and that's just players, band, and spirit groups. Hopefully, the weather will be good and the big crowd is treated to a great game.

Valleysports

I'd have to look back to my post from last season, when we started predicting Conway to be 7A Centrals Team of the future.  I have a bit of Old Timers.  All the chip have been falling into place for them, coaches, size of population, and some very young talent is maturing.  Out of the four teams your AD was thinking about, Conway is definitely the most formidable.  Unfortunately for Jonesboro and Russellville, we're both playing Conway & Fayetteville, this year.

ricepig

Yep, both of those two look to be offensive juggernauts, hopefully we'll be able to score on them and be in it in the fourth quarter.

Billyo62

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2010, 04:23:57 pm
Yep, both of those two look to be offensive juggernauts, hopefully we'll be able to score on them and be in it in the fourth quarter.

Last few years I would have given Jonesboro the advantage, but with Ashcraft there now I think Conway may be breaking out of their shell....Gotta go with Conway, sorry Ricepig..

ricepig

Quote from: Billyo62 on September 05, 2010, 04:34:29 pm

Last few years I would have given Jonesboro the advantage, but with Ashcraft there now I think Conway may be breaking out of their shell....Gotta go with Conway, sorry Ricepig..

The biggest advantage is a 2 to 1 in student population. I know it helps a bunch to have great coaches, but I still believe at this size difference, it comes down to Jimmy and Joes over Xs and Os. Ashcraft did what Coleman did at Jonesboro, he got a lot more kids interested in playing and more important, committed to playing. They are bringing 100 players, while we only dress out 65 this year after being in the 80's the last two. Heck, they have 250 in their band, while we probably go 125. Hopefully, they come in over confident and uninspired.

Billyo62

September 05, 2010, 05:14:24 pm #5 Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 05:17:47 pm by Billyo62
Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2010, 05:03:24 pm
Quote from: Billyo62 on September 05, 2010, 04:34:29 pm

The biggest advantage is a 2 to 1 in student population. I know it helps a bunch to have great coaches, but I still believe at this size difference, it comes down to Jimmy and Joes over Xs and Os. Ashcraft did what Coleman did at Jonesboro, he got a lot more kids interested in playing and more important, committed to playing. They are bringing 100 players, while we only dress out 65 this year after being in the 80's the last two. Heck, they have 250 in their band, while we probably go 125. Hopefully, they come in over confident and uninspired.

Conway is just Bentonville without the coaching...but it does take a few years for good coaches and good coaching staffs to turn a program around to it's full potential with the players they have..  The bus thing you posted was funny..  I think we have 11 instead of 10 when we travel because our bands a little bigger.. along with a truck and tailer with excess Band equipment..  It's a little crazy!

7AFBFAN

Something I noticed on Friday from Conway was the number of kids they ran in and out of the game. This means they also have depth this year which will make them tough in the Central. Kids and Fans were full of excitement Friday night, I don't see them overlooking anyone this soon.

Billyo62

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 05, 2010, 05:17:19 pm
Something I noticed on Friday from Conway was the number of kids they ran in and out of the game. This means they also have depth this year which will make them tough in the Central. Kids and Fans were full of excitement Friday night, I don't see them overlooking anyone this soon.

Ashcraft is doing what Lunney, Woods and Williams do..  Nobody does it in High school at the level Bentonville does.. Watch out for Conway

fastdrop

Hard to go with the Canes in this game after last weeks GCT  game..... But I am pulling for you guys. GO GET EM.

ricepig

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on September 05, 2010, 05:17:19 pm

We go about 7 or 8 on the O-line without much drop off and about the same on the D-line. I was surprised we had as many cramping last Tuesday as we did, at one time we had a 10th grader in at RB as 4 of our Rb's had cramps. It sounds like we both run the spread, so it shouldn't be any surprises on offense. These next two games should help us in our preparation for the conference and playoffs.

Valleysports

7AFBFAN, did you notice if they ran a 10th grade running back any?  Someone told me he was Peyten Hillis's Brother - dattrue?  That was last year and he looked to be 3.9 speed!

7AFBFAN

Valley, I did not see him in there but I guess he could of slipped in for a play or two. I still remember one play where I believe number 2 came in motion from the end position and was handed the ball and put one of the better moves I have seen on the southside cornerback and went in for the score. Unfortunately Friday night they only had to make one move and they were gone.

Rice, I think this kind of competition will help both teams in the future. Be prepared for the screen play executed to perfection, they absolutely killed Southside on that all  night long. 

ricepig

We saw a ton of screens last week, although I'm sure without the speed of Conway. I know our coaches scouted both the Northside scrimmage and Southside game. I'll give them credit, they spend a lot of time breaking down other teams. I'm sure they have all of Conway's games from last year too. Our kids go home on Monday's with a DVD of that weeks opponent.

7AFBFAN

More than speed I thought they had several guys who were very shifty and quick. 

ricepig

Yep, I noticed they had a couple y'all couldn't seem to tackle, not very big, but cut on a dime.

InYoGrill

Conway is on a mission this year. They have been mediocre for so long under Smith that the program was really struggling to find their identity behind bball and soccer. The town is so pumped right now and they expect to go far into the playoffs. What would you expect from a great young proven coach and a city with one major high school and population of 60k+.  Plenty of big boys coming out and more athletic kids than you can shake a stick at. Their JR high programs have huge numbers and will contend for championships both this year.

ricepig

Yep, that would be like Jonesboro having 1 high school. Instead, we have 1 6a, 1 5A, and 2 4A schools. You can't help but have some athletes with those numbers, throw in a good coach and you have a program.

InYoGrill

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2010, 08:56:05 pm
Yep, that would be like Jonesboro having 1 high school. Instead, we have 1 6a, 1 5A, and 2 4A schools. You can't help but have some athletes with those numbers, throw in a good coach and you have a program.

What are the other 3 programs in your area?

ricepig

Nettleton, Valley View, and Jonesboro Westside. Brookland even has some of their school district inside the city limits.

InYoGrill

Give Westside some JB students and you almost got half a 5A conference within 50 miles?

ricepig

Valley View is growing fast, they will be a 5A school in less than 10 years. They are trying to pass a millage to build a new high school for this growth.

Valleysports

I did tell you that the 40 miles stretch between Conway and Russellville, might hold the 2011 and/or 2012 State Champs didn't I.  7A, 6A, 5A, 4A, ......  Y'all didn't realize this classification restructuring was by design?

chaingang

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2010, 09:19:12 pm
Valley View is growing fast, they will be a 5A school in less than 10 years. They are trying to pass a millage to build a new high school for this growth.
From what i have heard...VV missed being 5A by 3 students. I think It will be sooner than 10 years  Ricepig

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2010, 09:59:20 am
I guess this is the game that would be showing in the blackout areas if El Do and Har-Ber were the main TV feed. Last year when we were scheduling games, our AD said we were looking at Conway, SS, Greenwood, and maybe Camden Fairview. When he said we had scheduled Conway, I was like, good we've got a good chance against them. Well, looks like somebody has awakened the Wampus Cats, and we are in for a tough one. I realize that the interwebs don't work in Conway, has anyone ever made a post from there in the last 3 years? However, Valley and several from the Central have been putting out the word, they are good and talented, and well coached.

Jonesboro will have to play 100% better than they did in their first game, and I think they will. My son says they had two of their hardest practices on Thursday and Friday, but they also were their two best this year. I'm not sure where we have an advantage, normally we have a speed advantage against every team we face, except WM, but what little I've seen of Conway puts it equal at best. I think we will have to score early and avoid the hole SS put themself in, I'm a homer, but I've got the Canes winning 42-41.

I understand they are expecting a big crowd for the game, our AD said Conway was bringing 10 buses, and that's just players, band, and spirit groups. Hopefully, the weather will be good and the big crowd is treated to a great game.

Congrats to Jonesboro for the win over GCT RicePig but at least have the common decency to give credit where credit is due and admit that GCT was the reason Jonesboro didn't play very well. GCT is simply better tahn you thoght they would be this year. Conway is pretty talented so Jonesboro will have their work cut out for them. Good luck against Conway.

bomberfootball#4

I was able to see Jonesboro play the other night and I believe they are even better than last year so I am going to choose Jonesboro in this game.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on September 06, 2010, 11:10:57 pm
Quote from: ricepig on September 05, 2010, 09:59:20 am

Congrats to Jonesboro for the win over GCT RicePig but at least have the common decency to give credit where credit is due and admit that GCT was the reason Jonesboro didn't play very well. GCT is simply better tahn you thoght they would be this year. Conway is pretty talented so Jonesboro will have their work cut out for them. Good luck against Conway.

As usual, reading comprehension is your biggest challenge. I did say that Tech out played us in that game, do you expect me to say Tech is the better team? If we played 10 times, that game is as close as you get. How many times have you seen Tech this year? At camp, 7 on 7's, practice, actually during a game? Yes, Tech is better than I thought, should it have been a 5 point game? No way, they fired their best shot, while Jonesboro was shooting itself in the foot most of the night.

Adjudicator

Ricepig, don't forget about Brookland just up the road.  Moved fom 3A to 4A this year and growing faster than any other school in this area right now.  And they will play a full schedule next year.  They, along with VV could very possibly be 5A schools in the near future.  VV will most likely be 5A on next cycle if AAA stays with this absurd 7 classification cycle. 

Mr_Deb

this game should be a true test for Jonesboro! i know that beast of a kid shearin will be ready but what about the others?? if Jonesboro comes out flat and uninspired they'll be taken to the back of mr. cooper's barn, i for one would not like to hear of that happening. imo Jonesboro has the second best staff in the east, they made a believer out of me with some of the strategy they implemented against us last season. i believe if Jonesboro cuts down on the mistakes they can keep this ball game close for a real long time...

Conway    28
Jonesboro  7

ricepig

If we hold Conway to 28 points, we will win. The outcome of the game will come down to our secondary to me, we can't have blown assignments, and they can't miss open field tackles. I think our offense will score enough to win it.

Mr_Deb

Quote from: ricepig on September 08, 2010, 10:14:53 pm
If we hold Conway to 28 points, we will win. The outcome of the game will come down to our secondary to me, we can't have blown assignments, and they can't miss open field tackles. I think our offense will score enough to win it.

definitely, especially blown assignments in the secondary those are the killer. if im not mistaken Jonesboro had one of the bigger defenses last season, they were pretty much on par with us at the DL/LB positions... im thinking Jonesboro could catch some serious containment issues early, though if you can guys can set out to keep it close until the half i think that staff will make good adjustments and keep it close for another qtr. after that it'll be who wants it the most.  keeping it close until then might be the key!

Rzback4Life

This has the potential of being one of the best games this week.  Conway wins a VERY close game.

7AFBFAN

ricepig

7AFBFAN

And that is possible. However, Southside has a very good offense this year and only scored 35. I see where Jonesboro can score a lot on occassion so it may end up being a good game. Nothing would surprise me in this one. I could see Conway really being good and winning by a bunch or their success last week might have been due to Southside's poor defense alone. We shall see.

cyclones_52

I was really impressed by Conway last week. Jonesboro will definitely have to play better this week, but i see a high scoring game also, but I think Conway will win by at least ten points.

Valleysports

CC you didn't go to the Russellville game?

ricepig

Yep, watched the film of the SS/Conway game, they tore up your 4/3 you were in at the beginning of the game. SS had a lot more success after they switched up some stuff on the D. We should be able to score on them, hope we get enough.

cyclones_52

Quote from: Valleysports on September 09, 2010, 12:35:46 pm
CC you didn't go to the Russellville game?
Of course i did, but i saw the Conway game film from SS also.

Mr_Deb

When I say this folks I mean it! I wouldn't want to be in Jonesboro's shoes this Friday! ROTFLMTO!

ricepig

Glad to know we don't have you in our shoes, pretty sure we don't want you.

Mr_Deb

Quote from: ricepig on September 09, 2010, 07:46:29 pm
Glad to know we don't have you in our shoes, pretty sure we don't want you.

lol oh rice lighten up a bit much 'eh? your hurricanes will make it through alright...

ricepig

Yep, no matter what happens the next two weeks, we'll be fine. Looking at a lot of offense this week and next, it will help us a lot better than playing Wynne and Blytheville.

fastdrop

I get the Conway game ..... but going to the Hill --- no good reason for dat.

bomberfootball#4

Jonesboro is a much improved team from last year I believe. They feed off trash talk so I'd save it for the game

ricepig

Don't know about the football team, but Conway's spirit group bus was here at 3:45, I guess they're ready. I'll check to see if any are eligible to play on the line.

ricepig

6 Conway TD passes where the WR ran right by our coverage. Make that 7, they scored again while we looked at him. Second half will be fast, mercy time.

fastdrop

have to put all of this on the coaches head....next weeks too.

Crazy ego some of these guys have.

It is much more fun for the team and the parents if teams play other teams close to their own size. 

ricepig

Well, our thinking was it was a playoff quality opponent, unfortunately a top 7A playoff team. Same thing next week, I heard they said since AR won't play ASU, they would do a Jonesboro/Fayetteville game, whatever. I'm glad we are getting to play them while they are down, haha.

fastdrop

I still say it is no need to play these type games... I have never seen where it makes you better by losing to bigger teams.

Billyo62

Quote from: ricepig on September 10, 2010, 10:24:05 pm
Well, our thinking was it was a playoff quality opponent, unfortunately a top 7A playoff team. Same thing next week, I heard they said since AR won't play ASU, they would do a Jonesboro/Fayetteville game, whatever. I'm glad we are getting to play them while they are down, haha.

Ricepig you may have drawn two teams on the upswing...  Kind of bad luck!  :'(

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas