• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A west - favorite

Started by Tomahawk Chop, January 13, 2012, 07:57:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk Chop

January 13, 2012, 07:57:25 pm Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:33:51 pm by Tomahawk Chop
Who is the favorite to take conference and why?  I've heard Greenwood is looking good again this year due to a lot of experienced players from the state finals team coming back.

BGR

Greenbrier in 2012, baby! I think Greenwood lost too much talent last year to be a contender.

Tomahawk Chop

Isn't Greenbrier supposed to still have an ace or two?  It will be a pitcher's game with the BBCOR bats.  I also heard that Alma is loaded with  Jensen and Burris.   I don't think Grrenwood lost as much as a lot of people are saying. 

BGR

Greenbrier is going to be pretttty good on the mound.  Does Alma have others in addition to the Jensen and Burris kids?  As far as Greenwood is concerned and if I'm not mistaken, they lost their entire infield to graduation. Gonna be hard to come back as a contender in the 5A West with a new infield and new rotation, IMO.

Tomahawk Chop

Not sure about alma. But I think greenwood will have some kids step up this year. IMO

vapor trail

i don't recall any dominant pitchers coming back in the 5a west.  Greenwood has won 3 straight conf titles and until someone dethrones them, they should be the favorite.  i believe many said that they lost too much the year before from the 31-2 team.  Last year they came within 2 runs of winning the whole thing. 

freshtheprince

Quote from: vapor trail on January 28, 2012, 09:35:34 pm
i don't recall any dominant pitchers coming back in the 5a west.  Greenwood has won 3 straight conf titles and until someone dethrones them, they should be the favorite.  i believe many said that they lost too much the year before from the 31-2 team.  Last year they came within 2 runs of winning the whole thing.

Greenwood only lost a couple from the 31-2 team. They lost the whole infield and top 4 pitchers this past year. BBCOR will be the thing to help them, their strong point will be speed. Can't wait for the season to start

vapor trail

I believe they lost 5 starters from that team. Just returned Sandifer caster and carter. So brought Caudle kid back but #2 lefty only pitched a couple of games last yr. due to muscle tear

Tomahawk Chop

If they lost all you mentioned who is going to fill the spots and make a difference?

freshtheprince

January 31, 2012, 11:38:59 pm #9 Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:01:47 pm by freshtheprince
Quote from: vapor trail on January 30, 2012, 03:23:53 pm
I believe they lost 5 starters from that team. Just returned Sandifer caster and carter. So brought Caudle kid back but #2 lefty only pitched a couple of games last yr. due to muscle tear

You are right, however they lost a 2-hole, 4,5,7,8 and only the number 3 pitcher after 2010. This past year they lost 2,3,4,5. The whole infield is gone and top 4 pitchers That's loosing the core of your team.

vapor trail

Greenwood seems to be very good in the area of replacing their losses.  they always have a couple of kids that improve each year and become players as upper classmen ie:Gilliam, Turner, Caster. They have had several kids not good enough to break into the lineup as underclassmen that would probably start for most teams in the conference.

Redbirdpride12

Greenbrier will be a contender if they can get some of their younger guys to hit the ball. They lost a good bit of power in Harmon and Virden but they still have Burgess. But yes they do still have some pitching left and they will be pretty hard to stop on the mound with the new bats.

Lion Man

Greenwood will not win it this year.  They have 2 players on the team that can make a difference though.

Sunde and Kennedy

TigerDog

Let me help ya'll out. Greenwood will be fine. Three returning senior starters  in the outfield that can fly. Sunde Suter and Smith, two of which have signed to play in college, all were All Conference players last year and Sunde was All State. The one that isn't signed will play Center Field.
Hayden Harvey is the best short stop in the state (future D1 player). Starting catcher (All Conference Bryce Bass) and third baseman from last year return. 1st base and 2nd base are the only positions that have "New" players.

Sunde back on mound had about 8 wins last year and Suter (LH Senior) is seasoned as well. Thornton (RH Senior) . The 5A West will be introduced to 6'5" Junior RH Ethan Clark and 6'2" Junior Chris Hunt.

Lots of speed that will hit consistently. Shoud be the best defensive team GW has fielded in a few years and GW defense is always good.

Good luck 5A West. Can you stop the fourth Conference Championship in a row?

Lion Man

PLEASE do not say you have the best shortstop in the state AGAIN.  We heard about sandifer for 3 years being the best in the state.  The BEST do not go Juco.

WarEagle44

Juco has nothing to do with player ability, in case you didnt know

leatherneck

Lioness,

Go home and stay home.

freshtheprince

Quote from: Lion Man on February 24, 2012, 10:10:49 pm
PLEASE do not say you have the best shortstop in the state AGAIN.  We heard about sandifer for 3 years being the best in the state.  The BEST do not go Juco.

I am in no way a Sandifer fan, but most of the better players do go to Juco in baseball.

freshtheprince

Quote from: TigerDog on February 24, 2012, 08:22:30 pm
Let me help ya'll out. Greenwood will be fine. Three returning senior starters  in the outfield that can fly. Sunde Suter and Smith, two of which have signed to play in college, all were All Conference players last year and Sunde was All State. The one that isn't signed will play Center Field.
Hayden Harvey is the best short stop in the state (future D1 player). Starting catcher (All Conference Bryce Bass) and third baseman from last year return. 1st base and 2nd base are the only positions that have "New" players.

Sunde back on mound had about 8 wins last year and Suter (LH Senior) is seasoned as well. Thornton (RH Senior) . The 5A West will be introduced to 6'5" Junior RH Ethan Clark and 6'2" Junior Chris Hunt.

Lots of speed that will hit consistently. Shoud be the best defensive team GW has fielded in a few years and GW defense is always good.

-Who is the other player to sign?

-Harvey is the best short stop Greenwood has seen in a LONG time, but its a big state. And the future D1 thing, he will need to gain a couple of inches before anyone other than juco gives him a chance. Not saying the skills arent there because Im a big believer in him, but you have to pass the eye test before you get a shot in college

-I believe Matt Turner graduated.

TigerDog

Many different circumstances lead players down different paths young dumb one....

Tony was a great high school player. Started four years. Set many school records. Led his team to the State Finals. His last two seasons he was the best player on a team that went 65-7........This JUCO you speak negatively of has put 100% of its two year players in D1 schools or the draft for the last several years.

And I will reapeat. Hayden Harvey is the best shortstop in the 5A.....just wait and see what I'm talking about.

TigerDog

Quote from: freshtheprince on February 24, 2012, 11:38:20 pm
Quote from: TigerDog on February 24, 2012, 08:22:30 pm

-Who is the other player to sign?

-Harvey is the best short stop Greenwood has seen in a LONG time, but its a big state. And the future D1 thing, he will need to gain a couple of inches before anyone other than juco gives him a chance. Not saying the skills arent there because Im a big believer in him, but you have to pass the eye test before you get a shot in college

-I believe Matt Turner graduated.

Suter is the other player. I know he has been offered. He may not have signed yet.

Hayden will get a look by D1 because of his defensive skills. Whole bunch of D1 shortstops out there that aren't 6'2". He is the best I have seen in G

Matt did graduate. But when he pitched Thornton started some and played all summer, which stuck in my mind.

Sunde, Suter, Smith, Bass each started all year. Thornton and Harvey were in lineup 2nd half of season. That is 6 players. Greenwood just reloads, they do not have to rebuild.

Hawgballer

Some of you Greenwood posters are so arrogant, it oozes out of you.  Doesn't matter whether it's football or baseball or whatever. Tigerdog seems to act as if he is all knowing about Greenwood baseball ... two have already signed. Then changes it and says, well, he's been offered, but not sure if he's signed.  I for one am tired of the arrogant Greenwood posters. "We don't rebuild, we reload."  I'll give you this much, you do have a very good baseball coach.

TheHogHead

February 25, 2012, 11:00:11 pm #22 Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:03:38 pm by TheHogHead
Quote from: TigerDog on February 24, 2012, 11:42:04 pm

And I will reapeat. Hayden Harvey is the best shortstop in the 5A.....just wait and see what I'm talking about.

Bold statement when the Hogs have already signed 2 of the shortstops in 5A SW. 

And btw, last season's top pitcher nationally chose to go to a Juco .  Sometimes the best do go the Juco route, everyone's journey is different.

TigerDog

Quote from: Hawgballer on February 25, 2012, 10:05:35 pm
Some of you Greenwood posters are so arrogant, it oozes out of you.  Doesn't matter whether it's football or baseball or whatever. Tigerdog seems to act as if he is all knowing about Greenwood baseball ... two have already signed. Then changes it and says, well, he's been offered, but not sure if he's signed.  I for one am tired of the arrogant Greenwood posters. "We don't rebuild, we reload."  I'll give you this much, you do have a very good baseball coach.

I am all knowing Hawgballer....... Just jumped the gun putting some information out. There will be more from this team that committ, are offered, or sign. My point was this GW team has talent coming back.

Grow thicker skin though. Public board where arrogance and smack talk is what makes it fun!

TigerDog

Quote from: TheHogHead on February 25, 2012, 11:00:11 pm
Quote from: TigerDog on February 24, 2012, 11:42:04 pm

Bold statement when the Hogs have already signed 2 of the shortstops in 5A SW. 

And btw, last season's top pitcher nationally chose to go to a Juco .  Sometimes the best do go the Juco route, everyone's journey is different.

Wow. Did not know that about the Shortstops from the SW. Obviously they are really good. I will stand by our SS though. I have been around baseball many years and he is one of the best defensive shortstops I have seen in Arkansas in any classification. 

TTofGreenwood

February 26, 2012, 09:34:30 pm #25 Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:53:17 pm by TTofgreenwood
Quote from: Hawgballer on February 25, 2012, 10:05:35 pm

We p i s s  excellence.  Deal with it...newbie! ;)

Rick Perry

Alma is my favorite. Wesley Larue will be taking them to state..

Rick Perry

Quote from: BGR on January 27, 2012, 09:30:21 pm
Greenbrier is going to be pretttty good on the mound.  Does Alma have others in addition to the Jensen and Burris kids?  As far as Greenwood is concerned and if I'm not mistaken, they lost their entire infield to graduation. Gonna be hard to come back as a contender in the 5A West with a new infield and new rotation, IMO.
Jensen is not playing. Huffaker is a stud i hear.

olddawg

BronxBomber

I'll take Vilonia as my dark horse.  They are a pretty solid group, and well coached.  And closer to Central Arkansas than most, so that makes them better than the rest of the 5A West  ;D

Greenbrier should be awfully good this year too.  Should be a packed place when they meet up.

WarEagle44

Greenwood looked to have plenty of pitching depth

Bleacher Creature

Harrison has both starters on the mound back and only graduated one senior. For a team that went 9-5 last year they aren't getting much talk. May not be THE favorite but definitely a contender. Inexperience and injury killed them last year.

gobfan

Harrison beat Little Rock Christian yesterday 6-5 to start out its season.

TheHogHead

Quote from: gobfan on March 02, 2012, 10:44:20 am
Harrison beat Little Rock Christian yesterday 6-5 to start out its season.
Gob, how did LR Christian look yesterday?

gobfan

I wasn't actually at the game. Had a buddy that texted me after the game.

TigerDog

Greenwood beat Springdale last night 13-4.

Three home runs hit in game. BBCOR what?

Sunde pitched 6 innings. Harvey and Bass hit bombs.

TTofGreenwood

Anyone have directions to ballpark in Siloam?  Is it at new school or old or somewhere else?  Thanks.

leatherneck

Quote from: TigerDog on March 03, 2012, 10:03:40 pm
Greenwood beat Springdale last night 13-4.

Three home runs hit in game. BBCOR what?

Sunde pitched 6 innings. Harvey and Bass hit bombs.
how did springdale look in the game against greenwood. ive seen them intrasquad and they looked horrible.

olddawg

TT,
as you come in to SS on 412 west, turn right or north on AR-59,
Go 1 mile ,Take a left on "Cheri Witlock Drive"Go about 1.50 miles, cross RR tracks
Baseball comlex is on the left

Your welcome
JB

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas