• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why aren't more high schools live-streaming games?

Started by Mulerider4Life, March 26, 2018, 11:35:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulerider4Life

Why aren't more high schools live streaming games? The cost has come done considerably and many parents can't make some of the away games due to travel/distance.

tmycjy

Well part of the problem is ad people and cost the other is Arkansas activity associatetion to do playoff game is 10,000 dollar or better just to the AAA just to do playoff games that if u school make it now up side is your team make it to the simi final or final better that help but if u pay the money and your team lose in the first round u are out that money so unless your are bigger school like 7A or 6A that lot of ad now smaller school like 2A or 3A school and Some 4A school make not do playoff do money

Mulerider4Life

I don't quite understand? I was talking about all high-school games period. Not just football and not just championships.

Beaver Fever

Most schools depend heavily on gate money. If I had a wife and three kids why would I go to the game and spend $20 to get in when I can watch it for free on tv

Mulerider4Life

I thought all the gate money went to AAA? Plus you could do sponsors through commercials on Livestream.

Beaver Fever

Not regular season games. Schools keep it, one reason why schools like to have rivalry games.  Big gates!!!

Mulerider4Life

Not so sure about that. I think there is something on the AAA website that has a form to fill out and send money to the AAA.

OB11

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on March 28, 2018, 08:28:50 am
Not so sure about that. I think there is something on the AAA website that has a form to fill out and send money to the AAA.

The only time gate money goes to AAA is during the playoffs.

Beaver Fever

I'm sure.
That is another reason why schools like to have 5 home games .  Since games are (for the most part) 2 year contracts, if you had 6 home games one year, you would only get 4 the next.

Mulerider4Life

OB11

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on March 28, 2018, 10:15:24 am
Oh ok gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

If schools play benefit games to start the year a portion of that money does go to the AAA to go into some kind of catastrophic insurance fund I believe. 

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: OB11 on March 28, 2018, 10:42:17 am
If schools play benefit games to start the year a portion of that money does go to the AAA to go into some kind of catastrophic insurance fund I believe.

Cool

N2DEEP

I will hopefully start doing this for our High School this year.

Apparently the drawback has been gate money loss. I told them I will cover all costs of setup and the broadcast (which is very inexpensive under $1000 complete setup) all they had to do was have internet available and space in the press box. I look at the video allowing people not able to come to games access. Many people work and or are unable to come. Plus think of games that people do not want to go due to weather, that they could watch and support.

It allows the school for another stream of money due to sponsors.

Part of the drawback may also be people to do the actual feed. Ours will require two people 1 for video and 1 for scoreboard.

Every fan has been very receptive here, and the coach is on board; just have to get school board approval.

All you need is a laptop, camera, tripod, video capture, software is free, streaming site is free; I am also using an ipad to control the scoreboard/ time via an app. The guy from PA did an article about their setup and it is very easy to follow.

I hope to see more and more schools broadcast games.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: N2DEEP on March 28, 2018, 12:48:07 pm
I will hopefully start doing this for our High School this year.

Apparently the drawback has been gate money loss. I told them I will cover all costs of setup and the broadcast (which is very inexpensive under $1000 complete setup) all they had to do was have internet available and space in the press box. I look at the video allowing people not able to come to games access. Many people work and or are unable to come. Plus think of games that people do not want to go due to weather, that they could watch and support.

It allows the school for another stream of money due to sponsors.

Part of the drawback may also be people to do the actual feed. Ours will require two people 1 for video and 1 for scoreboard.

Every fan has been very receptive here, and the coach is on board; just have to get school board approval.

All you need is a laptop, camera, tripod, video capture, software is free, streaming site is free; I am also using an ipad to control the scoreboard/ time via an app. The guy from PA did an article about their setup and it is very easy to follow.

I hope to see more and more schools broadcast games.

You need to look into Sidearm Sports

N2DEEP

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on March 28, 2018, 01:30:12 pm

You need to look into Sidearm Sports

Right now we are just going to use free services such as Youtube. Youtube is embedded in almost every smart device, plus is has fairly simple options. Combining it with OBS Studio and you have a very capable system for free :).

I have recorded my sons games for years and produced discs and or last year uploaded them to youtube; but I was always interested in having them available for a larger audience. The one thing I miss the most from my playing days was not having any video of it. This way it will be available for years to come, and maybe my kids kids will get to look back at it.

I am no videographer, but this will be something good for the fans, kids, and the community.

Beaver Fever

This doesn't sound like live stream.  It sounds like you are just making a nice recording and uploading it to YouTube after the game.  I don't think most schools would have a problem with you uploading it a day or two later.

AT

You can livestream on Youtube. Some Arkansas schools do this.

N2DEEP

Quote from: Beaver Fever on March 29, 2018, 07:04:26 am
This doesn't sound like live stream.  It sounds like you are just making a nice recording and uploading it to YouTube after the game.  I don't think most schools would have a problem with you uploading it a day or two later.

That is what I did in the past, but this upcoming year we will move to livestreaming via OBS on Youtube. But I can not do it without school approval and internet resources.

SUGARTOWN

April 09, 2018, 02:19:36 pm #18 Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:33:50 pm by SUGARTOWN
I think it would make more sense to live stream a team's ROAD games as most people can't afford to travel to all of the road games. Streaming the home games would take away some of the gate and most schools need that money. Plus the quality of some of these streams is not very good. I would think most people rather see a game in person than on a computer screen anyway. However, finding the proper resources at another school is sometimes problematic. Heck, as a radio crew we can't even get an accurate roster at some places I can only imagine how hard it would be to get internet access plus a place to set up.

That being said, I am glad some teams stream because I do enjoy seeing some other teams play as I try to watch a few games during the week.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Here in Pocahontas, we have SNT Sports that livestreams the games every week. They"re run by the local radio station and sync the audio over the video. I've even been tempted to go ask them if I could at least stay with them or even do some bit of announcing. They do a really good job and hope they don't stop for a while.
Anyway, I do see where it can take away money for streaming home games. But, I think a lot of other schools would do it if they had somebody willing to do it and also have good enough equipment.

N2DEEP

You can livestream for less than $1500.

The cost to do it is not the issue, the issue is the potential lost gate revenue. To me the livestream is about getting the game to people who may not be able to be their in person. People at work, diabled, elderly, etc... True football fans will always show up at the games in person. Plus you can replace any gate money with advertising dollars.

Road games would be the best,but as you have said getting the resources at opposing schools is extremely tough. Some small schools barely have a press box big enough for the announcers. Also mobile broadband is an issue because many fields have poor reception, thus a poor quality stream.

Lanny

Quote from: N2DEEP on April 10, 2018, 08:51:44 am
You can livestream for less than $1500.

The cost to do it is not the issue, the issue is the potential lost gate revenue. To me the livestream is about getting the game to people who may not be able to be their in person. People at work, diabled, elderly, etc... True football fans will always show up at the games in person. Plus you can replace any gate money with advertising dollars.

Road games would be the best,but as you have said getting the resources at opposing schools is extremely tough. Some small schools barely have a press box big enough for the announcers. Also mobile broadband is an issue because many fields have poor reception, thus a poor quality stream.
excellent, good luck to you

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas