• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA 10 tips

Started by SMC, December 08, 2009, 01:32:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SMC

Someone give me some tips on how to get a rush on the dang QB on this game.

On all the previous NCAA games on PS2 I could get good heat on the QB with my front 4. I prefer to only rush the front 4 and play zone behind it. But on my new PS3 I have been trying this and I can't pressure him. His OL locks on to me and no matter what move I try he just latches on and I can't get through or around him. His QB will stand back there for 6-7 seconds and find an open man. It's so frustrating.

jbell96

I would like to know how I can get my O-line to block better. I turned up the AI on blocking, but it still sucks. I am scared to run play action because my line has me scrambling half the time.

rsvl_hogfan4

December 08, 2009, 03:07:50 pm #2 Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 03:10:25 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
Quote from: SMC on December 08, 2009, 01:32:44 pm
Someone give me some tips on how to get a rush on the dang QB on this game.

On all the previous NCAA games on PS2 I could get good heat on the QB with my front 4. I prefer to only rush the front 4 and play zone behind it. But on my new PS3 I have been trying this and I can't pressure him. His OL locks on to me and no matter what move I try he just latches on and I can't get through or around him. His QB will stand back there for 6-7 seconds and find an open man. It's so frustrating.
I use the DE if I know they are passing and time the snap. Once you jump off the line just hit the right joystick in the direction of the QB right as the O-lineman is about to block you. You will spin or swim move off the block and be right there for the sack if he hasn't gotten rid of it yet. Everyone I play up here has to fake snap it 4 or 5 time to try and draw me offside or it will be a sack almost every time.

The entire game, as well as Madden, is just based off timing pretty much. If you truck the defender at the perfect time you will break a tackle every time. If you big hit a ball carrier at the right time you will jar the ball loose almost every time. If you press the stick to get off a block as they initially engage in the block you will get off it every time.

I had been playing Madden the last few months, but some people have been trying to play NCAA here lately. I played with Bama or FSU back when the game first came out, but now I play with GT and run out of the wishbone/flexbone. It is pretty fun.

SMC

I need to get used to playing this game, it is definitely harder than the NCAA games on PS2.

I need to master the pass rush still obviously. For the last few games I've just been playing with my MLB and playing cover 2 or 3 and sitting in the middle, letting the computer do the pass rush and he's done better than me, lol.

You are right about timing, I have to get the timing down for my receivers running after the catch. On the old NCAA games I would catch short passes and turn them into long gains all the time. On this one I seem to get tackled immediately after I catch the ball every time. Also I can't seem to complete long passes, I need to master how hard I need to throw the ball, and timing to beat man coverage deep.

SMC

Also, is there not any way to do "formation subs" like in the old NCAA games?

It is really annoying because I have 2 RBs that I like to play. One is a power back that I want to use in I-formation type sets. The other is a speed back that I want to use in shotgun and one-back sets. However I have to pause the game and reorder the depth chart every time I want to switch backs, and if I am too lazy to do that, my RB will get tired before the end of a drive a lot of the time.

Am I missing something?

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: SMC on December 09, 2009, 10:07:39 am
Also, is there not any way to do "formation subs" like in the old NCAA games?

It is really annoying because I have 2 RBs that I like to play. One is a power back that I want to use in I-formation type sets. The other is a speed back that I want to use in shotgun and one-back sets. However I have to pause the game and reorder the depth chart every time I want to switch backs, and if I am too lazy to do that, my RB will get tired before the end of a drive a lot of the time.

Am I missing something?
When you are selecting your formation move the joystick left or right. I think it is the right joystick. That will move your outside WRs into the slots, TE to WR, RB to WR, RB for FB, and so on. Is that what you mean?

SMC

No, on the old games you could access "formation subs" on the pause menu (same place the depth chart is) and you could put in different guys.

Like I could use my #1 HB as the HB on some of the formations, but my #2 HB as the HB on other formations, without having to constantly alter the depth chart.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: SMC on December 09, 2009, 01:34:40 pm
No, on the old games you could access "formation subs" on the pause menu (same place the depth chart is) and you could put in different guys.

Like I could use my #1 HB as the HB on some of the formations, but my #2 HB as the HB on other formations, without having to constantly alter the depth chart.
Oh, no I believe they did away with that. You just have to hit the joystick while you are selecting the formation at the play calling menu and keep going over until you get HB sub. It basically does the same thing, you just can't be paused while doing it so your game clock is ticking.

The Reality is back...

Here's a question for you.

HOW YOU DO FRICKIN SLIDE WITH THE QUARTERBACK WHILE SCRAMBLING? CAUSE IT SURE AS HECK ISN'T THE SQUARE BUTTON.

jbell96

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on December 09, 2009, 02:00:25 pm

HOW YOU DO FRICKIN SLIDE WITH THE QUARTERBACK WHILE SCRAMBLING? CAUSE IT SURE AS HECK ISN'T THE SQUARE BUTTON.

No crap man. I broke a 30 yard run with my Road to Glory QB & lightly tapped the square button and it made me dive into a defender and caused a fumble. BS!

The Reality is back...

Quote from: jbell96 on December 09, 2009, 02:52:35 pm

No crap man. I broke a 30 yard run with my Road to Glory QB & lightly tapped the square button and it made me dive into a defender and caused a fumble. BS!

EVERY TIME

HorseFeathers

Sounds like I should stick with my PS2 for as long as possible, I have a tendency to break controllers when stuff doesn't work how I think it should, and if that much is different between the 2 and the 3 on Ncaa 10... I can see a couple getting broken...

The Reality is back...

Quote from: HF on December 10, 2009, 11:52:36 am
Sounds like I should stick with my PS2 for as long as possible, I have a tendency to break controllers when stuff doesn't work how I think it should, and if that much is different between the 2 and the 3 on Ncaa 10... I can see a couple getting broken...

I used to break controllers, too. Just get something in the room you can punch.

jbell96

Quote from: Agent of Chaos on December 09, 2009, 02:59:31 pm

EVERY TIME

The impossible happened yesterday. I was scrambling up the middle, picked up the 1st down, tapped the square button gently, & my QB slid! If my 13 month old wasn't taking a nap on top of me I would have done a Tiger Woods fist pump.

SMC

I wish I had known you could slide. I was in the MNC game against Florida last night and in a tie game with 10 seconds left, I had to run with TJ Yates and got nailed and knocked out of the game. With 6 seconds left my backup QB who hasn't played all year has to come in. I did a running play to try and pick up a few yards for the FG (had one timeout) and of course was thrown for a 4 yard loss. Luckily I hit a 52 yard FG at the buzzer to win.

RD™

Quote from: jbell96 on December 10, 2009, 12:36:04 pm
Quote from: Agent of Chaos on December 09, 2009, 02:59:31 pm

EVERY TIME

The impossible happened yesterday. I was scrambling up the middle, picked up the 1st down, tapped the square button gently, & my QB slid! If my 13 month old wasn't taking a nap on top of me I would have done a Tiger Woods fist pump.
And you would've had 13 women on ya ;)

jbell96

And my wife would've beat me with a 9 iron. ;D

RD™

jbell96

I was very close to breaking my first PS3 controller last night & this morning. I'm doing Road to Glory as QB playing for TCU. I'm in my 2nd season & I am in the BCS title game against Oregon. I was playing it last night and scored a TD with 20 seconds left in the first half to go up 28-7. Somehow my defense allows an 80 yard TD run to end the half. I ran the kickoff back for a TD to start the 2nd half, but Oregon's defense turned into the 85 Bears & their offense turned into the 99 Rams. I didn't score again & they scored 5 unanswered TD's to up 49-35 before I quit the game.

This morning was just as BS. I was down 20-7 with the ball in the red zone. I was running a speed option & just before I was about to get hit I pitched the ball. There was a DT  that was to my left, I pitched it to the right, that somehow managed to catch the pitch in the air even though he was slow & had the ball traveling away from him, killing my drive inside the 10. Luckily my defense held & I was able to rally and tie the score at 20 since my kicker decided he would miss the XP. Game was tied at 27 with about 1:30 left & I had the ball at the Oregon 30. I got flushed out of the pocket & once again the square button decided to make me dive instead of slide & I fumbled with Oregon recovering at the 20. Of course they score & I get the ball back with 10 seconds left. Now I know why I took an extended break from video games.

The Reality is back...

Quitters never win, boy.

I won three straight undefeated titles with the razorbacks, only to have 2 lame recruiting classes, I was livid. So I went 10-3 with a win in the capital one bowl last year, and this year I'm 8-0, but I'm scheduled against #1 LSU at DV for the last game, which is the only ranked team I have left on my roster. That's gonna be a tough win.

SMC

jbell, you sound like me.

I quit games when I determine the computer is "BS"ing me. If I am legitimately beaten, I will take that, but when they pull stuff out of nowhere, I get mad.

To me, video games are supposed to be fun. Not pee you off.

This reminds me of I think NCAA 2003 or 2004. Me and my cousin used to play it all the time in our dorm. No matter how good you were (and our dynasty teams were freakin juggernauts), the computer would always have one drive per game, usually in the 4th quarter, where he went right down the field and scored. We called it "the unstoppable drive." You would get him in 3rd down and he would always complete it. Your rush would never get there in time. He would break multiple tackles. Your DB's would drop INTs. Etc.

On NCAA 10 so far I am having a hard time controlling the computer's kickoff returns. He's broken a few TDs on me and routinely makes it to about his own 40. My kicker can only get the kick to around his 5 on a great kick, 10 on a normal kick, so I wish I could end up with a kicker with more power. But he blocks so well and always is able to get through a crease and make a big return. Me on the other hand, I'm lucky to reach the 25 unless he has a horrible kick.

jbell96

There was one screwjob that happened to me that I didn't mention. I went to OT with Oregon in the national title game on my Road To Glory game. It was the 2nd OT after we both scored TD's in the 1st one. I had a 4th & goal at the one inch line & the dumb coach decides to opt for the FG when my defense hadn't stopped them the entire 2nd half. Of course they score & I swiftly power off my PS3. Now I remember why I don't play the Road To Glory/Superstar mode. The offensive play calling is idiotic sometimes.

bulldogs1159

I love the fact that on the new games even if you don't lose for five years with the Hogs recruits never want to come here. They want to go play for 5-7 Michigan or Tennessee.

It took me over a decade to get the number 1 class on last years game.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on December 18, 2009, 04:01:41 pm
I love the fact that on the new games even if you don't lose for five years with the Hogs recruits never want to come here. They want to go play for 5-7 Michigan or Tennessee.

It was much too easy on the older NCAA games.  It got to be where I was pulling in nothing but 5 stars and when it came time to cut the roster down to 70, I had to let go a lot of talent.

SMC

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 18, 2009, 10:48:03 pm

It was much too easy on the older NCAA games.  It got to be where I was pulling in nothing but 5 stars and when it came time to cut the roster down to 70, I had to let go a lot of talent.

Haha, that's when we would cut our seniors cause the only excitement left was to see how good all our freshmen were.

bulldogs1159

I was so into recruiting in those old games. I had like a notebook full of notes on players and etc so I could remember them come season time. I had the computer cut because I just couldn't bring myself to cut anyone.

I also had madden in those days and would export my draft class and sim the NFL season and keep notes of where my players were drafted and what their rookie contracts were. Crazy I know.

RD™

Hmmm I thought was the only one that did that

SMC

We found out a glitch in the game that allowed us to cheat at recruiting.

You know how you would have to "scout" guys to see if their speed rating and all those other ratings were too high or too low? But you only had so many hours to scout or whatever.

Save right before recruiting. We would go scout a bunch of guys til we were out of points. Enter all their rankings into a spreadsheet on the computer. Don't save. Reset and go back in and scout new guys (guys will have the same ratings every time). That way we could find out who were the top players. Then after we scouted all the guys from every position that we were interested in - "start" recruiting and offer those guys without wasting points on scouting.

jbell96

Is it a glitch in this game or the older ones?

SMC

Quote from: jbell96 on December 22, 2009, 10:09:49 am
Is it a glitch in this game or the older ones?

The older ones. The ones where you didn't do in-season recruiting.

The Reality is back...

It took me over a decade to get the number 1 class on last years game.

I got the #1 class my 7th year. I had 16 4 stars, 4 5 stars, and the rest were 3 stars. It was epic. They almost all panned out to be all sec or all americans, best team I've ever assembled was when they were juniors. I was playing on heisman, and the closest game was USC at USC when I won by 17.

jbell96

Started a dynasty with Georgia Tech last night. I forgot how much fun running the wishbone is.

RD™

Quote from: jbell96 on December 23, 2009, 11:01:01 am
Started a dynasty with Georgia Tech last night. I forgot how much fun running the wishbone is.
Word. Imagine running the Wish Bone back on older versions with D-Mac, Felix and Peyton Hillis

jbell96

I can't wait to start playing good teams tonight. I just had time to play an FCS school last night since it took me over an hour just to prepare my recruiting board & do recruiting for the first week. I miss the days of just having offseason recruiting.

bulldogs1159

The fact that it takes FOREVER to do mid-week recruiting almost keeps me from playing the games.

rsvl_hogfan4

Quote from: Rebel Dog™ on December 23, 2009, 12:25:24 pm
Quote from: jbell96 on December 23, 2009, 11:01:01 am
Word. Imagine running the Wish Bone back on older versions with D-Mac, Felix and Peyton Hillis
That is the only offense I ran on that game. I ran Navy's playbook with Arkansas and Illinois. I would tick the clock down to 2 or 3 seconds every time before I snapped it. I used RoJo with Arkansas. Mendenhall, Juice Williams, and the FB for Illinois were awesome. Their FB was the 2nd best FB on the game behind Hillis. They had a little better defense than us, so I would use them against better teams.

The Reality is back...

Quote from: bulldogs1159™© on December 23, 2009, 03:34:20 pm
The fact that it takes FOREVER to do mid-week recruiting almost keeps me from playing the games.

Agree. it's annoying.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas