• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's that Monticello Goat been up to these days.....

Started by AirWarren, July 09, 2015, 09:26:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

Apparently he wants to be on the capital lawn in Little Rock....silly billie!

cuckoobird

I would rather us pass a law to remove all religious statues from the grounds than to erect one of satan.

Jacketman65

AirWarren

July 10, 2015, 08:11:01 am #3 Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:14:38 am by AirWarren
Quote from: cuckoobird on July 10, 2015, 07:20:27 am
I would rather us pass a law to remove all religious statues from the grounds than to erect one of satan.

It's just sad the world we live in. By all means this was intended as a joke, but the sadness of the world is ridiculous.

In the 30 years of my life walking this earth as a Christian, I never would have thought as a kid that someone would want a statue of satan on display on our government grounds.

Hootie

This is what happens when you allow religious monuments on capital grounds. If you allow one, you have to allow ALL of them. Does anyone remember separation of church and state? I think our founding fathers said something about that.

BigLion10

Lord help we don't want to "offend" any other religion anymore. The nation's leaders have gotten greedy and weak are the problems

AirWarren

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Hootie on July 10, 2015, 08:16:46 am
This is what happens when you allow religious monuments on capital grounds. If you allow one, you have to allow ALL of them. Does anyone remember separation of church and state? I think our founding fathers said something about that.

Yep. They said that religion should have no place in the government.

GuvHog

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on July 10, 2015, 08:43:07 am

Actually it was the exact opposite. Government is barred from interfering with religion.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2015, 11:07:35 am
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on July 10, 2015, 08:43:07 am

Actually it was the exact opposite. Government is barred from interfering with religion.

True, but I was talking about their their opinions on the matter of government and religion. Wrong forum for this I realize:

"Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law."
~Founding Father Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

"The civil government functions with complete success by the total separation of the Church from the State."
~Founding Father James Madison, 1819, Writings, 8:432, quoted from Gene Garman, "Essays In Addition to America's Real Religion"

"And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."
~Founding Father James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

"Every new and successful example of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters is of importance."
~Founding Father James Madison, letter, 1822

"Strongly guarded as is the separation between Religion and Government in the Constitution of the United States, the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history."
~Founding Father James Madison; Monopolies, Perpetuities, Corporations, Ecclesiastical
Endowments

SUGARTOWN

Anyway....let's get back football. Don't even know why I posted on this useless thread. Just bored I guess.

Hootie

Are any threads useful in the summer? Let's be realistic lol

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Hootie on July 10, 2015, 12:08:15 pm
Are any threads useful in the summer? Let's be realistic lol

On this board they should at least be about football.

phdefense

Yes, but apparently you do not realize the context in which they did it. It is meant to keep the government out of the church not the church out of the government. Our founding fathers professed that the country had no hope if it operated apart from God. You see our founding fathers were not worried about being politically correct. In fact they were purposefully politically incorrect. George Washington was adamantly opposed to political parties in general.

p.s. Technically separation of church and state can not be found in the constitution

Hootie

Quote from: phdefense on July 10, 2015, 04:14:06 pm
Yes, but apparently you do not realize the context in which they did it. It is meant to keep the government out of the church not the church out of the government. Our founding fathers professed that the country had no hope if it operated apart from God. You see our founding fathers were not worried about being politically correct. In fact they were purposefully politically incorrect. George Washington was adamantly opposed to political parties in general.

p.s. Technically separation of church and state can not be found in the constitution

P.S I never said it was in the constitution.

phdefense

Quote from: Hootie on July 13, 2015, 09:24:55 am

If it's not in the founding documents of our republic then why bring it up?

Wahls

Quote from: phdefense on July 13, 2015, 12:37:22 pm

Because it is a quote by Thomas Jefferson to describe protections of the Constitution which has been subsequently cited and upheld in Supreme Court case law.

EDIT: Just because the exact quote isn't there doesn't mean it isn't in the "founding documents" because the specific protection is.

Hootie

You brought up the Constitution because you assumed that's what I was talking about but I wasn't. The discussion of Separation of Church and State goes way beyond just what's in the Constitution. James Madison had a really good quote something along the lines of "The government operates successfully with a complete separation of Church from the State."

phdefense

Quote from: Wahls on July 13, 2015, 12:39:58 pm

Because it is a quote by Thomas Jefferson to describe protections of the Constitution which has been subsequently cited and upheld in Supreme Court case law.

EDIT: Just because the exact quote isn't there doesn't mean it isn't in the "founding documents" because the specific protection is.
Once again the "protection" is for the church not the state.

Wahls

Quote from: phdefense on July 13, 2015, 09:34:59 pm
Quote from: Wahls on July 13, 2015, 12:39:58 pm

Once again the "protection" is for the church not the state.

Uh, no.

Is the word "separation" that difficult to understand? Jefferson described it (yet again, referenced and upheld in Supreme Court case law) as a "wall of separation" not a "semi-permeable membrane of separation".

The establishment clause prevents the state from passing laws to favor one religion over another. The "state" in this particular instance is referring to government and the people - ensuring that everyone has religious freedom to worship God or Star Wars.

Jimbo Morphis

phdefense

Quote from: Oldman on July 14, 2015, 08:26:52 am
smart people
It seems to be removing itself from the gene pool. In thinking themselves wise they became fools.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas