• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greyhounds

Started by HeberFan, June 07, 2015, 10:57:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeberFan

This is Newport's final year in Class 4A and Carl Turner's senior year. Does that combinaton provide enough resolve for the Hounds to go a long way in the playoffs?  Sure could.

whippersnapper

I think it'll be an interesting year for the hounds. Truth is they are losing a lot of experience. 4, 3 year starters. Qb, MLB, Safety and LT. Also almost an entire defense and many 2 year starters. As Bobby Bowden has said "you cant coach experience". That works both ways though. They have 4 guys with starting time back on the offensive line and if they do stay with the same system on offense that will only be a plus. They have to find 2-3 guys to keep the defense honest through the air and that starts by returning tight end Jordan Mayberry. Ben Collier while Harrison was still there was looking to be the guy at qb. He will be a senior and is a pure athlete. I think he rushed for around 500 last season. Also return CB Darren Roddy who will probably help at wr. Then of course Mr. Carl Turner, it sure has been fun to watch him run the ball. I am sure he is wanting to leave newport as the all time leading rusher so I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him take his game to a whole other level. He is over 4000 yards already and I would love to see him reach 6K. I think they may take a few early hits in the mouth but by the end of the season if they can get on a roll and secure a playoff spot they could win a game or 2 in the playoffs. But as we all know after last years 1st round match up with Star City its all about who you get. Coach Hindsley is an excellent coach and will do well with the Greyhounds!

HeberFan

Should be a fun team to watch. I am guessing the new coach will change as little as possible ?

Infamous

June 09, 2015, 12:44:21 am #3 Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:15:01 am by Infamous
On that offensive line with "four guys returning with experience," you can make an argument for one being a plus blocker. Other than that, Carl Turner is going to struggle gaining yards behind that line.

If this team could fast-forward to the 2016 schedule, I'd like their odds better. But, with as many defections they've had combined with the schedule they'll be facing, it'll be too much to overcome. I'm seeing a maximum record of 4-6.

LakeRat

I think the Hounds will do better than 4-6... they are always pretty competitive year in/out. Usually start off a bit slow but by mid-season they hit their stride and give everyone a run for their money. 

HeberFan

Carl will get the Hounds to at least a 5-5 year. He won't finish his career with a losing season.

Infamous

Quote from: HeberFan on June 09, 2015, 07:55:42 pm
Carl will get the Hounds to at least a 5-5 year. He won't finish his career with a losing season.

They can beat Riverview and Batesville-Southside. Other than that, I'm not seeing many wins.

HeberFan

Stuttgart... surely Newport will rip the Ricecakes.

Infamous

Quote from: HeberFan on June 10, 2015, 10:06:17 pm

So, the person saying there's a possibility of a deep Newport playoff run can only point out ONE other game they could win?

I think you're making my point for me.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Infamous on June 11, 2015, 09:01:31 am

So, the person saying there's a possibility of a deep Newport playoff run can only point out ONE other game they could win?

I think you're making my point for me.
actually he just hates Stuttgart so I wouldn't take too much from his posts

Jacketman65

Infamous, I agree with HeberFan!  The ricecakes are loaded with a bunch of 10th graders this year and we all know how that will be.  However, if they can keep all of them on the field, "from what I have heard" They may be good in about two years.  Keep in mind that they lost there BEST seniors to be to of all places ----------------------- DEWITT!!                       GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HeberFan

I certainly don't hate Stuttgart. In fact they win a lot of games and have lots of shiny trophies in their case. And it's fun to razz some of their fans. Stuttgart seems to do well in the playoffs, which shows a lot.

whippersnapper

Newport does have a favorable home schedule. They get GCT, Sylvan Hills, Helena, Stuttgart, Heber and SS. Newport has only lost 2 home games in the last 3 seasons.

HeberFan

The Heber-Newport game last year was a great contest

bulldoghistorian

Infamous

Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 11, 2015, 11:08:42 pm
Infamous, I agree with HeberFan!  The ricecakes are loaded with a bunch of 10th graders this year and we all know how that will be.  However, if they can keep all of them on the field, "from what I have heard" They may be good in about two years.  Keep in mind that they lost there BEST seniors to be to of all places ----------------------- DEWITT!!                       GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not reading anything to dissuade my opinion. Newport's lost so many quality players on both sides of the ball the past two years, Harrison would have crawled to Lincoln.

HeberFan

Stuttgart seems to have a way of getting that running game going that tires down the opposing defense.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas