• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Offseason@Stuttgart

Started by scrapiron51, November 30, 2014, 02:26:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Trojanbird

Quote from: phdefense on April 27, 2015, 04:54:12 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on April 27, 2015, 03:53:45 pm
Quote from: Trojanbird on April 27, 2015, 10:21:40 am
Quote from: cuckoobird on April 23, 2015, 01:02:20 pm
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 23, 2015, 12:22:01 pm
Today is the last game in Ned Mosley Stadium to be played on grass as the Ricebird soccer teams host Lake Village. Construction on the field turf football/soccer field and new track will begin a week after graduation.

In addition, construction will begin soon on a new band hall and Jr. High. Go Birds.
Good to hear
I'm new on here as you can probably tell.  I finally decided to open an account, I no longer have a student involved with high school sports since he graduated in13.  I am glad to hear about the renovations to the stadium, I know that this has been kicked around the last few years.  Are they going to do anything with the restrooms?
What's wrong with the bathrooms now?
Absolutely nothing if it were the 1950's. I would say that every team in our conference has better restrooms than Stuttgart with the exception of Newport(have not seen WH yet). They need work, but I do not think they are that high on the list.
Thank you PH.  I'm not trying to start anything here but I do know that a few years ago several of our moms were not happy with our restrooms.  It is pretty easy for us guys to go, but the women were having to deal with no stall doors and then plastic shower curtains for doors, really this was very impressive especially to our visitors.  I think that we are above this and as PH said, this is not the 50's.  Foul odors and plastic shower curtain doors impress no one, especially potential transfers. Go Birds!

SUGARTOWN

They have doors on the stalls now.

I'm more concerned about the lighting around the concession stand myself. Ever since they put up the new lights on the field a couple years ago and took out the lights around the sidewalks it's seems extremely dark on the north end. Maybe that will be rectified this season too.

cuckoobird

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 29, 2015, 06:32:25 am
They have doors on the stalls now.

I'm more concerned about the lighting around the concession stand myself. Ever since they put up the new lights on the field a couple years ago and took out the lights around the sidewalks it's seems extremely dark on the north end. Maybe that will be rectified this season too.
maybe the glare from the turf will help!!! I'm with you though, it is awfully dark going to the bathroom and I'm afraid of the dark.....

HeberFan

Stuttgart has pretty good facilities.

WPWells

Did Stuttgart make the state tournament in any boys sports this year?

RUSH

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 09, 2015, 01:25:09 pm
not that I am aware of!

Trojanbird

Quote from: RUSH on May 09, 2015, 02:14:28 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 09, 2015, 01:25:09 pm
not that I am aware of!
Bowling if you want to call that a sport.

WPWells

Was that a tournament? Nope

Nomad1324

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on May 10, 2015, 05:16:45 pm

Actually it is....have to get out of the conference tournament first. Of 4 and 5A teams.

Trojanbird

Quote from: Nomad1324 on May 11, 2015, 12:50:30 am

Actually it is....have to get out of the conference tournament first. Of 4 and 5A teams.
Thanks Nomad, exactly my thoughts.

Nomad1324

Quote from: Trojanbird on May 11, 2015, 08:54:20 am

I know kids that have bowled up in my neck of the woods, always have to get through Stuttgart. They have a good program.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Nomad1324 on May 11, 2015, 10:35:09 am
Quote from: Trojanbird on May 11, 2015, 08:54:20 am

I know kids that have bowled up in my neck of the woods, always have to get through Stuttgart. They have a good program.
It's funny how people from other schools want to ignore the bowling kids, they work hard too. I'm not a fan of bowling but gave every kid on the team a pat on the back and told them how proud Stuttgart was of them. They have just as pretty rings as the football team does

WPWells

Wait the football team has rings?

cuckoobird

cuckoobird

Quote from: Loyalfan1 on April 24, 2015, 10:08:24 am
read that VP needs a DC.
New DC hired and he's been here before.

SUGARTOWN

June 01, 2015, 08:54:58 am #115 Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 09:07:35 am by SUGARTOWN
Work on the new turf has begun.  :)

Jacketman65

Quote from: cuckoobird on May 12, 2015, 09:53:23 am
read that VP needs a DC.
Why go back to something that may have been a problem before????????????

cuckoobird

June 02, 2015, 06:29:02 am #117 Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 09:11:11 am by cuckoobird
Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 02, 2015, 12:13:53 am
read that VP needs a DC.
I swear you're the foot in mouth queen. He didn't have a problem here before. You know, there are ways to help with your ED problem other than hating on Stuttgart. Might I suggest the lil blue pill. Oh wait, I forgot who I was speaking to. In your case, this may be more help http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20461504,00.html

Jacketman65

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 02, 2015, 06:29:02 am
read that VP needs a DC.
I swear you're the foot in mouth queen. He didn't have a problem here before. You know, there are ways to help with your ED problem other than hating on Stuttgart. Might I suggest the lil blue pill. Oh wait, I forgot who I was speaking to. In your case, this may be more help http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20461504,00.html
Son, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve there, but I was simply asking a question.  No need to get your thong in a knot!

phdefense

Quote from: Jacketman65 on June 02, 2015, 11:02:18 pm
Quote from: cuckoobird on June 02, 2015, 06:29:02 am
read that VP needs a DC.
Son, I'm sorry if I touched a nerve there, but I was simply asking a question.  No need to get your thong in a knot!
Unlike Clinton people will actually return to Stuttgart. BTW the guy at Clarendon had already left and come back once already.

Trojanbird

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on June 01, 2015, 08:54:58 am
Drove by the other day and noticed that myself. I know the new turf will be nice, but I'm still a little old school.  There is something about natural turf that I'm still partial to!

cuckoobird

Quote from: Trojanbird on June 03, 2015, 07:52:47 am
Drove by the other day and noticed that myself. I know the new turf will be nice, but I'm still a little old school.  There is something about natural turf that I'm still partial to!
turf is saving me about $2500 a year, I like it!!!!

SUGARTOWN

Playing games on a fresh green grass field can't be beat, but the turf will help out all spring sports and the band as well, it's not just about football. Plus it will still be green late in the year!  :)

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 03, 2015, 09:16:07 am
it's always about you.

cuckoobird

Quote from: Oldman on June 03, 2015, 10:05:33 am
it's always about you.
Yep!!!!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: cuckoobird on June 03, 2015, 12:48:22 pm
Quote from: Oldman on June 03, 2015, 10:05:33 am
it's always about you.
Yep!!!!
this one less about you and more about $$$$ lol?

HeberFan

These days, having a grass field is somewhat of a homefield advantage. Most teams are used to playing on turf, so when they travel to another field with grass, there is some adjustment. That's especially true in rainy weather\

cuckoobird

Quote from: HeberFan on June 04, 2015, 08:35:56 pm
These days, having a grass field is somewhat of a homefield advantage. Most teams are used to playing on turf, so when they travel to another field with grass, there is some adjustment. That's especially true in rainy weather\
We still have 3 grass practice fields and I'm sure they will be used quite often if the next game is on grass

phdefense

I think it's really great and fitting that Stuttgart gets to open the new field by beating Dewitt. Even though the field will now be turf and the Dragon tears will no longer sustain the grass The Birds shall savor them all the same.

cuckoobird

Quote from: phdefense on June 24, 2015, 04:42:55 pm
I think it's really great and fitting that Stuttgart gets to open the new field by beating Dewitt. Even though the field will now be turf and the Dragon tears will no longer sustain the grass The Birds shall savor them all the same.
I think so too. I'm looking forward to it

Trojanbird

How is the progress going on the new turf?  The last time I saw it, it looked like they all of the dirt plowed to the center of the field for some reason.

gametime

No matter the success or failure, Stuttgart will always be the armpit of the state.  If not for Duck season  the state would take this town off the books.

Proud Buckaroo

Armpit of the state? Is that like your way of saying they stink? 😒

phdefense

http://www.stuttgartdailyleader.com/article/20150615/NEWS/150619777/2001/SPORTS

Quote from: SDLAn issue that plagued the Ricebirds all of last season was a depth of players. At the end of 2014 there were only 22 kids dressing out.  Perrin will enter his second season with around 47 athletes on the roster, most notably on the lines.

Quote from:  Coach Perrin"We have 22 linemen. That is a good problem, I do not expect us to have to use any two-way players this season. We will be bigger and faster across both lines and those guys will have a much better understanding of what we want to do."

Proud Buckaroo

I read the article, and what struck me was this quote:

"An issue that plagued the Ricebirds all of last season was a dearth of players. At the end of 2014 there were only 22 kids dressing out.  Perrin will enter his second season with around 47 athletes on the roster, most notably on the lines."

Is that a normal issue with Stuttgart? I'm just wondering, because of a 4A school having that low of numbers really made me ponder.

cuckoobird

June 30, 2015, 09:00:56 am #135 Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:03:04 am by cuckoobird
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on June 30, 2015, 04:54:16 am
I read the article, and what struck me was this quote:

"An issue that plagued the Ricebirds all of last season was a dearth of players. At the end of 2014 there were only 22 kids dressing out.  Perrin will enter his second season with around 47 athletes on the roster, most notably on the lines."

Is that a normal issue with Stuttgart? I'm just wondering, because of a 4A school having that low of numbers really made me ponder.
47 will be about 13 more than the defending champ of 4a had last year. It's not untypical for low numbers in 4a at all. I grew up in a small school where every kid played that was eligible and for a while I didn't understand it either but it's a fact of life. Not all kids want to be athletes in the bigger towns, there is much more for them to do

Proud Buckaroo

When I was in Smackover. I remembered we had A LOT of kids who played both ways. I only played defense. It really shocks me to see that Smackover has close to 50 kids this Spring.

FBfan79

It seems FL has quite a few on the roster that just want to be a part of the team.  Usually quite a few playing both ways as well.

LakeRat

One thing to note in the amount of kids on the roster is normal variations in class size year to year... I thought the last couple years of Heber's football team roster seemed small compared to the previous couple of years, I wondered if interest in the program had fallen off, but then looked at the numbers.

There's about a 2-3 year window where the high school class sizes were smaller than the previous 2-3 years. Also a higher ratio of girls to boys. There was a direct correlation to shrinkage in kids on the field.

Also looked at the larger number of kids in the junior high program and it was noticeably bigger than senior high. Both Stuttgart and Heber have larger junior high classes moving up the next couple of years so I think we'll see roster sizes increasing in relation to that.

Proud Buckaroo

And I think that's what plays a big part of why Smackover has the most kids they have had.

TIGER101

What is the population of Stutt right now?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: TIGER101 on June 30, 2015, 12:04:08 pm
What is the population of Stutt right now?

A little bit over 9000.

nmyeyes

DeWitt needs to move back to the Old Field, If I'm not mistaken they have not ever had a winning season in the new complex. I vote to move back to the old spot and start again. I hope that doesn't happen to Stuttgart and the new field, looks like it's hard to get rid of the Chicken hex!

phdefense

cuckoobird

July 01, 2015, 07:24:05 am #144 Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:50:52 pm by cuckoobird
Quote from: nmyeyes on June 30, 2015, 01:44:48 pm
DeWitt needs to move back to the Old Field, If I'm not mistaken they have not ever had a winning season in the new complex. I vote to move back to the old spot and start again. I hope that doesn't happen to Stuttgart and the new field, looks like it's hard to get rid of the Chicken hex!
It's the same field with a different surface. Besides, the last time the Ricebirds changed fields, there was no let down in the win column

TIGER101

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: phdefense on June 29, 2015, 10:37:14 pm
http://www.stuttgartdailyleader.com/article/20150615/NEWS/150619777/2001/SPORTS

Quote from: SDLAn issue that plagued the Ricebirds all of last season was a depth of players. At the end of 2014 there were only 22 kids dressing out.  Perrin will enter his second season with around 47 athletes on the roster, most notably on the lines.

Quote from:  Coach Perrin"We have 22 linemen. That is a good problem, I do not expect us to have to use any two-way players this season. We will be bigger and faster across both lines and those guys will have a much better understanding of what we want to do."

47 is a good number. Maybe they'll get a few move ins during the summer as well.  :)

nmyeyes

Sugartown, what years did you play for the ricebirds?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: nmyeyes on July 14, 2015, 11:21:16 am
Sugartown, what years did you play for the ricebirds?

I played basketball and baseball, graduated in '89.

HeberFan

So this really good linebacker at Stuttgart, is he a senior?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas