• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"SEC DOMINANCE"......

Started by PIGSKIN JUNKIE, January 08, 2010, 09:57:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

Bama's win gives the SEC 5 titles for the decade (unprecedented 4 straight), and 7 over the last 15 years. Loaded with the best coaches (staffs) and recruiting classes from top to bottom the SEC looks to remain on top for the foreseeable future.

powerlifter90

Quote from: PIGSKIN JUNKIE on January 08, 2010, 09:57:41 am
Bama's win gives the SEC 5 titles for the decade (unprecedented 4 straight), and 7 over the last 15 years. Loaded with the best coaches (staffs) and recruiting classes from top to bottom the SEC looks to remain on top for the foreseeable future.

The SEC as a conf dominated college football THIS decade.  But, like everything else there are ups and downs, they only had two NC's in the 90's and one in the 80's.  On top now doesn't mean on top forever..........

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/champions_national.html

question for HOG fans.  according to this list BAMA won the NC in '64, how did the Hogs win the NC if the coaches and writers didn't name them champs.  Where they the NC's according to Leroy's BBQ shack or something like that?

powerlifter90

Quote from: G™ on January 08, 2010, 10:34:44 am
Quote from: BUGEATERS on January 08, 2010, 10:29:48 am
question for HOG fans.  according to this list BAMA won the NC in '64, how did the Hogs win the NC if the coaches and writers didn't name them champs.  Where they the NC's according to Leroy's BBQ shack or something like that?

Wikipedia:

The Associated Press presented the "AP Trophy" to the winner. As such, the University of Alabama qualified as the national champion due to its 10-0-0 regular season record and its #1 finish in the AP poll. The University of Arkansas also had a 10-0-0 regular season in 1964, and finished #2 in the final AP poll. On New Year's Day, the Crimson Tide lost to the #5 ranked Texas Longhorns in the Orange Bowl, to finish the season with a 10-1 record, and the Arkansas Razorbacks defeated the 7th ranked University of Nebraska 10-7 in the Cotton Bowl Classic. Since there were no further polls, however, once-beaten Alabama's national championship was unaffected, despite the fact that Arkansas had beaten Texas during the season.

so who named Arkansas?   Was it the coaches poll or something like that?

Coach Venny Slocombe

The SEC as a conf dominated college football THIS decade.  But, like everything else there are ups and downs, they only had two NC's in the 90's and one in the 80's.  On top now doesn't mean on top forever..........

I know your just a little upset because Nebraska is not good anymore and the SEC is head and shoulders above the Suck 12, but why bash on Arkansas? We all know that Arkansas hasn't been that good for years now and we all know why. An aging and out of touch AD put the Razorback programs way behind other schools. We are however on the rise in football and let's face it, Petrino is twice the coach that Pellini is. Petrino will have Arkansas playing in a BCS bowl game before Nebraska and I would be willing to place a bet if you wish. That being said this thread is about SEC dominance and the numbers don't lie............................SEC is head and shoulders above the rest of the conferences.................................

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: BUGEATERS on January 08, 2010, 10:38:02 am

Wikipedia:

The Associated Press presented the "AP Trophy" to the winner. As such, the University of Alabama qualified as the national champion due to its 10-0-0 regular season record and its #1 finish in the AP poll. The University of Arkansas also had a 10-0-0 regular season in 1964, and finished #2 in the final AP poll. On New Year's Day, the Crimson Tide lost to the #5 ranked Texas Longhorns in the Orange Bowl, to finish the season with a 10-1 record, and the Arkansas Razorbacks defeated the 7th ranked University of Nebraska 10-7 in the Cotton Bowl Classic. Since there were no further polls, however, once-beaten Alabama's national championship was unaffected, despite the fact that Arkansas had beaten Texas during the season.

so who named Arkansas?   Was it the coaches poll or something like that?
UPI, United Press International

cuz

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 08, 2010, 10:38:57 am<br />
Quote from: BUGEATERS on January 08, 2010, 10:29:48 am<br />
Quote from: PIGSKIN JUNKIE on January 08, 2010, 09:57:41 am<br />Bama's win gives the SEC 5 titles for the decade (unprecedented 4 straight), and 7 over the last 15 years. Loaded with the best coaches (staffs) and recruiting classes from top to bottom the SEC looks to remain on top for the foreseeable future.<br />
<br /><br />The SEC as a conf dominated college football THIS decade.  But, like everything else there are ups and downs, they only had two NC's in the 90's and one in the 80's.  On top now doesn't mean on top forever..........<br /><br /><a href="http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/champions_national.html"; class="bbc_link new_win" target="_blank">http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/champions_national.html</a><br /><br /><br />question for HOG fans.  according to this list BAMA won the NC in '64, how did the Hogs win the NC if the coaches and writers didn't name them champs.  Where they the NC's according to Leroy's BBQ shack or something like that?<br /><br /><br />
I know your just a little upset because Nebraska is not good anymore and the SEC is head and shoulders above the Suck 12, but why bash on Arkansas? We all know that Arkansas hasn't been that good for years now and we all know why. An aging and out of touch AD put the Razorback programs way behind other schools. We are however on the rise in football and let's face it, Petrino is twice the coach that Pellini is. Petrino will have Arkansas playing in a BCS bowl game before Nebraska and I would be willing to place a bet if you wish. That being said this thread is about SEC dominance and the numbers don't lie............................SEC is head and shoulders above the rest of the conferences.................................<br />
Not ony a great post but undeniably the truth......

xtremewildcat

I don't think much about the big 12. However, Texas did impress me a lot last night. If they were in the SEC, where do you think they would rank. I say third behind Bama and Florida.

redwolf143

Quote from: xtremewildcat on January 08, 2010, 11:26:34 am
I don't think much about the big 12. However, Texas did impress me a lot last night. If they were in the SEC, where do you think they would rank. I say third behind Bama and Florida.
1b. with Bama and ahead of 3. Florida

zebradynasty

The Big 12 is really the Big 2 Tx and Ok the other teams are at or near the same level as Arkansas! The SEC is tops for now but eventually other schools will see that the style of the SEC is more like the NFL. Fast and Physical it's how the game is suppose to be played!

PIGSKIN JUNKIE

Quote from: BUGEATERS on January 08, 2010, 10:38:02 am

Wikipedia:

so who named Arkansas?   Was it the coaches poll or something like that?

LINK:   http://www.collegefootballhistory.com/arkansas/history.htm
Scroll down to the 1960's section. It states the Hogs were named Nat' Champs by The Football Writers of America because they had a long standing policy of waiting until after all the bowl games were played to name their Champion, which is what the AP does presently. Back then the AP and UPI awarded the Nat' Championship before the bowl games.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 08, 2010, 10:38:57 am

I know your just a little upset because Nebraska is not good anymore and the SEC is head and shoulders above the Suck 12, but why bash on Arkansas? We all know that Arkansas hasn't been that good for years now and we all know why. An aging and out of touch AD put the Razorback programs way behind other schools. We are however on the rise in football and let's face it, Petrino is twice the coach that Pellini is. Petrino will have Arkansas playing in a BCS bowl game before Nebraska and I would be willing to place a bet if you wish. That being said this thread is about SEC dominance and the numbers don't lie............................SEC is head and shoulders above the rest of the conferences.................................

a bet?  your're on because NU will be in a BCS bowl in '10, not because of anything more than a week schedule and everyone else in the B12 is reloading.

asking the questoin "who named Ark NC's in '64 wasn't a "bash" the list I pulled up didn't have them listed.

Quote from: zebradynasty on January 08, 2010, 02:18:24 pm
The Big 12 is really the Big 2 Tx and Ok the other teams are at or near the same level as Arkansas! The SEC is tops for now but eventually other schools will see that the style of the SEC is more like the NFL. Fast and Physical it's how the game is suppose to be played!

Texas has NOT dominated the B12 since '96, NU has played for and won just as many titles as they have.  NU dominated in the early years since then it has been OU, who NU beat this past season.  NU will be making a run of titles for the next few years watch and see.  As far as the "physical SEC play" check back in the 90's the SEC was throwing the ball all over the place and not playing D.  They were also getting crushed when they played a "run orientated" "tough D" NU team (see bowl games following 95, 97, and 99).  When Saban took over at LSU, they started what is now the type of football most SEC teams play. 

fastdrop

I have personally quit recognizing a football National Champion!!!

Without a play-off ..... there is no such thing as a number 1.

gatecrasher

Bugs....

We ain't worried about the decade to come....it's about the here and now. And here and dow is the SEC is the dominant conference in the land. Period.

Frankly I don't see it letting up anytime soon. Give me one reason why we should be worried. Alabama will open 2010 as preseason #1. You can put that one in the bank, alongside a repeat 6A champion ;)

powerlifter90

Quote from: gatecrasher on January 09, 2010, 10:40:04 am
Bugs....

We ain't worried about the decade to come....it's about the here and now. And here and dow is the SEC is the dominant conference in the land. Period.

Frankly I don't see it letting up anytime soon. Give me one reason why we should be worried. Alabama will open 2010 as preseason #1. You can put that one in the bank, alongside a repeat 6A champion ;)

it seems to be human nature, especially around here to only remember the good times or the times that are favorable to the one in the discussion.  You want to forget about the low times for the SEC and Eldo, just remember good times don't last forever, everything has it's ups and downs

trevster10

^^^ says nothing about the 90's? I thought we were talking about the recent years, and years to come. If I am misunderstood, I apologize.

powerlifter90

Quote from: trevster10 on January 09, 2010, 02:07:03 pm

^^^ says nothing about the 90's? I thought we were talking about the recent years, and years to come. If I am misunderstood, I apologize.

15 years ago WAS the 90's

trevster10

I don't think that is what that post meant?

powerlifter90

Quote from: trevster10 on January 09, 2010, 02:42:21 pm
I don't think that is what that post meant?

well it said "7 over the last 15" years.

trevster10

It didn't say the SEC dominated the past, it said they will (most likely) dominate the future. That stat was just a point of reference

Uncle Ivan

Mack Brown holds the Big 12's latest national title trophy.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas