• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WILL WE PLAY?

Started by Trojan_rep, July 03, 2020, 09:30:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Trojan_rep

So I understand that it really is too early for this but given the current circumstances will basketball be played as normal? If not do yall think that it will be started late or not played at all?

LeftyWorld

I think we will play. I look at from this view. When this happened and everything shut down it was from fear of unknown. How does it effect us, signs, symptoms, how does it actually spread, etc. we had NO idea and still don't have a firm grasp on all of this but it's getting a lot more narrowed down. People are getting comfortable with it right now because it's really not effecting anyone. Adults are going to work and kids are in regular summer so they are normally home. Besides having to wear a mask and athletic restrictions it's normal right now. When school starts and it's still like this, and schools are 100% online again because we are still seeing 200+ cases a day by then and it starts actually effecting everyone you'll see numbers start to drop mid-end September because kids, college students, parents, will be tired of being inconvenienced by it and take directives seriously. I know they are expecting it to come back like the flu does but I don't think it will, at least because of the seasonal change. It's not like the flu, or we wouldn't have it increasing in this weather like we currently do. I don't believe temperature effects it like they once believed it did because they were going off of it's a virus and most viruses die off in warm weather. This one doesn't so I wouldn't think it'll ramp back up. So I see basketball at least being able to play. I honestly feel like as precautionary measures events will be held allowing only say family to watch or a certain number of people, in masks, and socially distancing in the stands just to be on the safe side. Football will be the toughest one I believe. If I'm right and cases last that long they'll do one of two things. Bump everything back and have football start mid October and go til Christmas, basketball from Christmas till spring break, then spring sports till end of school year as normal. Or they could keep basketball the same, move football to the spring and then cancel spring sports or leave spring sports up to the districts. Which large schools wouldn't be as bad, but smaller schools having the same kids play baseball say Monday, track meet Tuesday, baseball Wednesday, off Thursday, then football on Friday would stress athletes way to much but if they cancel spring sports it'll be an uproar. But money wise AAA and school districts need football and basketball to have seasons.

Walter s

I don't think there will be any sports. It's heartbreaking, and I've been trying to be positive, but it's time to be realistic. Over 1000 cases today. We opened up too soon, and some people still aren't taking this seriously. What I want to know is at what point are we going to shut down again, and get rid of this. I have seen nothing to indicate that's even a possibility. Looks like we're just gonna keep plowing through this and hope it goes away. You don't have to be very smart to realize it's not going away, and the only way we'll have basketball or any sports this year is by some kind of miracle.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas