• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smackover HC (filled Mike Baysinger)

Started by GotInfo?, January 19, 2017, 09:34:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GotInfo?

January 19, 2017, 09:34:02 am Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:45:26 pm by Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian
I heard that Strickland got reassigned.  Is that true?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: GotInfo? on January 19, 2017, 09:34:02 am
I heard that Strickland got reassigned.  Is that true?
See last page of Junction City thread.

Rida4Life

It was in the paper this morning that Strickland resigned his coaching duties.

Jimbo Morphis

Will this be good for Smorphlet or bite them in the butt?

Rida4Life

I can't see how it's ever a good thing to run a successful coach out of a job.... but who knows... there may be more to the story than is being told.

bleudog

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 24, 2017, 10:15:47 am
It was in the paper this morning that Strickland resigned his coaching duties.

FWIW, here's how it was worded in the EDNT:

"Strickland resigns as coach at Smackover

SMACKOVER - The Smackover School Board accepted a partial resignation from head football coach Brian Strickland on Monday.

Strickland will remain with the school district as a teacher."

nuttinbuthogs

Surely there is more to this story?

KOJACK

Resign or be reassigned...I'm sure the choice was his.

THA TRUTH

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 24, 2017, 02:34:38 pm
I can't see how it's ever a good thing to run a successful coach out of a job.... but who knows... there may be more to the story than is being told.

So what happened at Smackover with the coach? 

dragondad

So does Stegall get the HC nod, giving the 8 and Union County two head coaches that are both graduates and former players of Junction City?

THA TRUTH

They would give it to cranford before they would stegall

Iknewthemwhen

I hope they choose a good guy, good coach.  I'm just curious why the other coach is out?  Does nobody know?

Sick Dog

Lets be real....... he got reassigned because everyone thought they should win a state championship and they didnt so they blame the coach. Smackover problem is they hire superintendents but dont let them run the school. The community runs that school. Not board members. aka...........POLITICS

Proud Buckaroo

Smackover will be taking applications for the job outside of the school. There won't be any promotions from within as far as I know.

THA TRUTH

Two coaches on staff have put in applications

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 26, 2017, 08:35:53 am
Two coaches on staff have put in applications

Yeah. I know who both of them are. But right now they are wanting to look from outside the school right now.

THA TRUTH

It wouldn't be any different if they don't

Razorbacks48

so the two assistants wouldnt be a good fit?

Pat Swilling

Expect local guy.  If I were Smackover I might give Doug Means a call

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on January 26, 2017, 09:25:25 am
Yeah. I know who both of them are. But right now they are wanting to look from outside the school right now.
Who hires the coach?

THA TRUTH

Quote from: Razorbacks48 on January 26, 2017, 09:45:12 am

One of them wouldn't be but the other one was part of the reason fans were upset... even though last year wasn't on either Strickland or the OC coach Smackover just wasn't that good

Made

Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 26, 2017, 10:24:29 am

One of them wouldn't be but the other one was part of the reason fans were upset... even though last year wasn't on either Strickland or the OC coach Smackover just wasn't that good
Funny I heard Smackover had some monsters

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 26, 2017, 10:24:29 am

Must have watched a different offense than I did last year.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Razorbacks48 on January 26, 2017, 09:45:12 am

Not going to be the one who throws anyone under the bus. I'm just saying right now they are looking for someone outside.

Proud Buckaroo

THA TRUTH

January 26, 2017, 01:36:21 pm #26 Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 01:38:57 pm by THA TRUTH
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on January 26, 2017, 11:06:32 am
Must have watched a different offense than I did last year.

They only lost to better teams what more do you want when ur offensive line is subpar

THA TRUTH

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 26, 2017, 01:36:46 pm

School board
They should leave it to the super, that's what they get paid for.

THA TRUTH

I don't know why they don't allow it

bleudog

January 26, 2017, 04:23:35 pm #30 Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:59:50 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Oldman on January 26, 2017, 09:54:20 am
Who hires the coach?

School board

To paraphrase ol' Slick Willie, it depends on what the definition of hire is.

If operating as designed, the only school position a school board chooses is that of Superintendent. 

The board does have the responsibility to review and vote on the school administration's choices for filing vacancies in other school positions.

http://arsba.org/about-us/board-members/

Quote from: Oldman on January 26, 2017, 03:16:25 pm
They should leave it to the super, that's what they get paid for.

I agree.  A Board should put a great deal of weight in any coaching hire recommendation that came from a committee consisting of the Superintendent, the AD and possibly a principal.

nuttinbuthogs

Super should make the recommendation and the board approves.

nuttinbuthogs

I wondering why the other coach is gone.

dragondad

School board

School Board does not hire,  they reserve the right to vote on candidates placed before them, but they don't hire.  In most cases they select the candidate that is recommended to them.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: dragondad on January 27, 2017, 06:43:41 am
School Board does not hire,  they reserve the right to vote on candidates placed before them, but they don't hire.  In most cases they select the candidate that is recommended to them.
In theory

THA TRUTH

Which is pretty much the same thing

GotInfo?

Who was the OC and who is Cranford?  I know Coach Steele is still there.  Any chance they give it to him?

Dr. Defense

Tell that to Watson Chapel

dragondad

Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 27, 2017, 08:29:22 am

Which is pretty much the same thing

If they're selecting the candidate recommended by a committee, then their vote is really just a formality.

THA TRUTH

Not the case when it's candidates not just a candidate

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: GotInfo? on January 27, 2017, 08:49:58 am
Who was the OC and who is Cranford?  I know Coach Steele is still there.  Any chance they give it to him?

Coach Steele is defensive coordinator. Osborn is the OC.

Iknewthemwhen

I thought the board could only approve or reject the recommendation of a superintendent.  Thus the only one they can hire or fire is the super.

dragondad

Quote from: THA TRUTH on January 27, 2017, 12:57:59 pm
Not the case when it's candidates not just a candidate

Doesn't matter how many candidates there are, if they're selecting the one recommended by the committee.....as they should, otherwise there's not reason for a committee.....especially when those on the committee have more knowledge about the game and ability than the entire school board combined.

Iknewthemwhen

I don't think that matters, the committee doesn't hire or fire and I doubt they or at least most of them work for the district.  The committee like the board can recommend or vote to approve a recommendation but the super will have to formally recommend to the board and they will have to approve.  If they make some show of a committee recommendation it still hinges on the super, who runs the school.  School rules are not random.

THA TRUTH

Quote from: dragondad on January 27, 2017, 04:20:38 pm
Doesn't matter how many candidates there are, if they're selecting the one recommended by the committee.....as they should, otherwise there's not reason for a committee.....especially when those on the committee have more knowledge about the game and ability than the entire school board combined.

To bad that's not how it always goes

dragondad

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 27, 2017, 04:23:59 pm
I don't think that matters, the committee doesn't hire or fire and I doubt they or at least most of them work for the district.  The committee like the board can recommend or vote to approve a recommendation but the super will have to formally recommend to the board and they will have to approve.  If they make some show of a committee recommendation it still hinges on the super, who runs the school.  School rules are not random.

The committee could be wholey comprised of two people, the AD and the Super. 

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: dragondad on January 28, 2017, 06:14:41 am
The committee could be wholey comprised of two people, the AD and the Super. 
And the chain gang.

Rumpelstiltskin

An AD Head Football coach is an entirely different subject when you talk about hiring. It's not just everyone and their grandmother on the committee when it comes to that stuff. You can bet on the superintendent and the school board having a major say in that hire.

Pat Swilling

Why is this not an AD/HFC job?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas