• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Region 4A-North @ Lincoln

Started by Brian G, February 23, 2014, 12:25:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

February 23, 2014, 12:25:09 pm Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:57:53 pm by HF
Unless you are coming up 59 from VB, this is a simple drive.  Take the MLK Exit off 540 in Fayetteville and turn west on what is aka as HWY 62.  You will go through Farmington, P Grove and then you will come into Lincoln.  The school is easy to find.

From 540, you'll be there in 20 minutes.  There are a few spots to eat in Lincoln but not a lot.  Pay attention as you drive out of Fayetteville and through Farmington and PG for choices to eat.  If you are staying the night, I recommend right around the 540 exit in Fayetteville.  There are probably 10 hotels right there.

Wednesday
Game 1 4:00(G)- Prairie Grove vs Waldron
Game 2 5:30(B)- Prairie Grove vs Dardanelle
Game 3 7:00)G)- Pottsville vs Berryville
Game 4 8:30(B)- Maumelle vs Gravette

Thursday
Game 5 4:00(G)- Mena vs Ozark
Game 6 5:30(B)- Subiaco vs Lincoln
Game 7 7:00(G)- Farmington vs Dover
Game 8 8:30(B)- Farmington vs Pottsville

Nip/Tusk

February 23, 2014, 12:44:18 pm #1 Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:48:17 pm by Perry Grove
Winners of Wednesday and Thursdays game will play Friday (same times)

Fridays losers will play Saturday at noon (girls) and 1:30 (boys)

Friday winners will play Saturday at 6:00 (girls) and 7:30 (boys)

Leroy88

After the game that Pierce had against Farmington where he was forcing up shots when he wasn't open and was having a hard time even getting open. How do you guys think he will do against from what I hear a very athletic Maumelle team. Also I haven't heard anything about Pottsville, Subiaco, or Dardanelle. Who can tell me about these teams?

Nip/Tusk

If Maumelle is athletic as what I hear, I think gravette will really struggle. I haven't seen maumelle play so I don't know how good they are defensively. Of course, I've seen pierce go off on athletic teams before too.

redfire75

Well, Here are my 2 cents worth coming from 4-4a Land. Here are my predictions. I just go with who I think will win or lose, I don't predict scores. If anyone on this site is that good, to predict the actual scores for each of these games, could you IM me and tell me what LOTTO numbers to play please?
1. Maumelle over Gravette
2. Prairie Grove over Dardanelle
3.Subiaco over Lincoln-I'm torn on this one. I believe that Subiaco is the better team, but Lincoln will be at home, and that may be enough for them to pull it off.
4.Pottsvile over Farmington.I'm torn on this one also. Farmington defeated Pottsville earlier in the year, but Pottsville has been playing better. Hard to defeat twice. I give a slight edge to Pottsville. From a personal note, The way that Pottsville has treated teams that they played at Pottsville has been horrible. Just a terrible place to play. On that note,  I really hope that I'm wrong on my prediction and I hope Farmington Wins by 30!!!

WPWells

I saw the first three quarters of Gravette-Farmington and the second half of PG-Lincoln. I've also seen Lincoln play Charleston sans football players and saw the first half of Lincoln-Ozark. I streamed Maumelle-Subi and Pottsville-Subi and watched Subi play live in the Coke Classic. Basically I've seen 7 of these 8 teams play. I'll just assume that PG beats Dardanelle. In the other seven games here's what I have:

Maumelle over Gravette by 5. Maumelle is a much better team but lacks discipline so Pierce will have a big night exploiting that. In the end, though, superior athleticism will win out like it has all year

Subiaco over Lincoln by 8. The two most disciplined teams in the tournament. Subi just has better athletes. I think they're 15 better on a neutral court but at Lincoln's home court it will be a single-digit game

Pottsville over Farmington by 1. The game of the tournament. I've never seen two teams as evenly matched as these two. I think that in the end Perry will take over for Pottsville

redfire75

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on February 23, 2014, 06:34:58 pm
I saw the first three quarters of Gravette-Farmington and the second half of PG-Lincoln. I've also seen Lincoln play Charleston sans football players and saw the first half of Lincoln-Ozark. I streamed Maumelle-Subi and Pottsville-Subi and watched Subi play live in the Coke Classic. Basically I've seen 7 of these 8 teams play. I'll just assume that PG beats Dardanelle. In the other seven games here's what I have:

Maumelle over Gravette by 5. Maumelle is a much better team but lacks discipline so Pierce will have a big night exploiting that. In the end, though, superior athleticism will win out like it has all year

Subiaco over Lincoln by 8. The two most disciplined teams in the tournament. Subi just has better athletes. I think they're 15 better on a neutral court but at Lincoln's home court it will be a single-digit game

Pottsville over Farmington by 1. The game of the tournament. I've never seen two teams as evenly matched as these two. I think that in the end Perry will take over for Pottsville
I guess if I was a Subiaco Academy fan I probably wouldn't have anything nice to say about Maumelle Either. LOL. Subiaco is an extremely talented team and unfortunately they have another very talented team in the same conference.

WPWells

I feel that the regional finals could turn out to be Subi-Maumelle for the fourth time this year

Oldbadger

Please, please, watch your speed going from Fayetteville to Lincoln.  No tolerance at all! If it says 55, go 55.  Set your cruise.  If you are stopped, you are ticketed. Should have plenty of easy parking at Lincoln High School.  Just go past the school on the left, then turn left into the parking lot.

Nip/Tusk

Very good point badger. Very glad farmington is not on the route from PG to Lincoln. (Especially this week!) :)

Chief_Osceola™

February 23, 2014, 10:56:36 pm #10 Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 11:14:33 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: Perry Grove on February 23, 2014, 04:57:52 pm
If Maumelle is athletic as what I hear, I think gravette will really struggle. I haven't seen maumelle play so I don't know how good they are defensively. Of course, I've seen pierce go off on athletic teams before too.

Defensively, they press for 4 quarters. They come in waves - I think they go 9 or 10 deep. They have a good mix of length and smaller guys who can pressure ball handlers the full length of the court. They trap a lot and create offense from their defense via bad passes, steals, etc. at times Subi handled it well but wasn't able to turn it into fast break points because Maumelle's defenders got back so quickly. There were also spurts where Subi struggled a lot with the press.

On the other side of that - #3 (I think) from Subi is a really, really good ballplayer. Krueger is his name I believe.  Great shooter who can also create off the dribble. Also, any team coached by Tim Tencleve is going to play sound fundamental basketball.

Pottsville is similar to Subi. Perry is the big gun and he has a solid, fundamentally sound supporting cast.

I don't know anything about Dardanelle other than we beat them badly every time we played them. I don't know if they just don't match up well with us or what, but I don't look for them to make more than one trip up to Lincoln. That being said, I didn't think Booneville would make any noise last year either and they surprised a lot of people.

4AWhistler

Quote from: B.G. on February 23, 2014, 12:25:09 pm
Unless you are coming up 59 from VB, this is a simple drive.  Take the MLK Exit off 540 in Fayetteville and turn west on what is aka as HWY 62.  You will go through Farmington, P Grove and then you will come into Lincoln.  The school is easy to find.

From 540, you'll be there in 20 minutes.  There are a few spots to eat in Lincoln but not a lot.  Pay attention as you drive out of Fayetteville and through Farmington and PG for choices to eat.  If you are staying the night, I recommend right around the 540 exit in Fayetteville.  There are probably 10 hotels right there.

Wednesday
Game 1 4:00(G)- Prairie Grove vs Waldron
Game 2 5:30(B)- Prairie Grove vs Dardanelle
Game 3 7:00)G)- Pottsville vs Berryville
Game 4 8:30(B)- Maumelle vs Gravette

Thursday
Game 5 4:00(G)- Mena vs Ozark
Game 6 5:30(B)- Subiaco vs Lincoln
Game 7 7:00(G)- Farmington vs Dover
Game 8 8:30(B)- Farmington vs Pottsville
In Lincoln:  Burgerland (much more than burgers there-great down home plate dinners), American Drive-In (burgers), El Cazador (Mexican).

In Prairie Grove:  Sonic, Gabbi's (Mexican), Razorback Pizza.

Farmington:  Sonic, Subway, Gabriella's (Mexican), McDonald's.

All are right on 62.

Fayetteville:  The choices are limitless, but you'll have to back under 540 if you want more variety.

You're right about staying overnight.  Fayettville is about it.

Be careful,  speed limit in front of Lincoln High is 45.

Welcome, 4A fans and teams!

Oldbadger

Speed limit in front of the school drops to 25 when school is in session and is very well monitored when school lets out.
Eating places in Lincoln are swamped at noon, especially Burgerland.  Recommend Gabbies in PG and Gabriella's in Farmington. 

DerekOxford

Farmington has Tooley's BBQ now and it's really good. Right off 62, take a left on Southwinds and it's in a shopping center type thing.

WPWells

I can vouch for Tooley's. If you go in there ask for Kristen to be your waitress and then tip her really well

Nip/Tusk

Wasn't crazy about tooleys. Kinda tasted like cafeteria food the time I ate there.

The gaby's in pg and Farmington are both good and run by the same guy.

Avoid the pg sonic.

DerekOxford

Quote from: Perry Grove on February 24, 2014, 11:19:38 am
Wasn't crazy about tooleys. Kinda tasted like cafeteria food the time I ate there.

The gaby's in pg and Farmington are both good and run by the same guy.

Avoid the pg sonic.

I like Gabi's, but I'm a Viejo guy myself. If you get off 540 take a right like you're going to UA and turn in to the Electric Cowboy if you want to try it.

As for your Tooley's experience, must've caught them on a bad night. I've been there 2-3 times and each time it was solid.

Nip/Tusk

Viejo is the best no doubt! 

I like subway in farmington too.

Ballplayer

This has apparently turned into food critic corner.lol   Anybody know much about that Dardanelle bunch? Just looking and comparing scores they really dont look too bad.   

WPWells

I'm all about trying new places! I've had Tooley's. What's the one place between Fayetteville and Lincoln that I have to try this week?

Also, if you have a sweet tooth stop by Briar Rose bakery in Farmington and order a cinnamon roll. Thank me later

DerekOxford

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on February 24, 2014, 03:04:18 pm
I'm all about trying new places! I've had Tooley's. What's the one place between Fayetteville and Lincoln that I have to try this week?

Also, if you have a sweet tooth stop by Briar Rose bakery in Farmington and order a cinnamon roll. Thank me later

Farmington has a Asian restaurant right before the first stoplight in town called Mandalay that is really good. It's on the corner of Brown St. right across from the Arvest.

Nip/Tusk

Between fay and Lincoln I'd have to say the gaby's in farmington. On the right, right before you get into town on 62. Hard to miss it.

WPWells

Thank y'all! I'm a student here at the U of A so I've gotten to try a lot of the places in Fayetteville but haven't had the chance to venture out a whole lot! I only went to Tooley's because I have a friend who works there

To some of you NWA people: I plan on watching my Alma Mater one day in Elkins as well. Any places I should try there?

Nip/Tusk

All i know of in Elkins is a sonic but I'm sure they've got some mom and pop place that's pretty good like most towns do.

DerekOxford

Elkins has Pizza Junction, which is a decent pizza parlor if you're in the mood for a pie. A lot better than it used to be.

There's a Mexican restaurant called Rio Grande that I've never been to but friends have told me is pretty good. Pizza Junction is before the school and Rio Grande is after the school, both on the right coming from Fayetteville but on the left if coming from the Pig Trail.

redfire75

Quote from: Ballplayer on February 24, 2014, 02:30:29 pm
This has apparently turned into food critic corner.lol   Anybody know much about that Dardanelle bunch? Just looking and comparing scores they really dont look too bad.   
Out of the 8 teams in this regional, and I had my pick of which team I would want to face with a chance at state on the line, It would be Dardanelle. Not sure what scores your comparing but I'm pretty sure that Pottsville, Subiaco, and Maumelle defeated them by double digits in every game this year. I will give them credit for defeating Waldron to get into regionals, but Waldron's point guard quit the team a week before conference tournament leaving a big hole that they couldn't fill.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Ballplayer on February 24, 2014, 02:30:29 pm
Happy to oblige.

They have a couple of 6-3, 6-4 types at forward/post.  Guards very small but very quick. Lawrence (#24) is probably their best player.  Not a lot of depth, one of their guards that comes off the bench is pretty good, otherwise just a fairly decent team.

Nip/Tusk

This is what concerns me.

What kind of defense do they play?  1/2 court or full? Man, zone? 

And how hard do they play?

Brian G

King Pizza in Fayetteville on the right heading out.  It's just passed the Aldi's which is across from the Supercenter.

WPWells

I've had King Pizza! Very good. You'd never know it was there if you weren't looking for it

Brian G

Plenty of room for a team/parents.  Good people run it and a fine good pizza.

1-Adam-12

February 24, 2014, 09:27:07 pm #31 Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:30:06 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: Perry Grove on February 24, 2014, 05:44:39 pm
This is what concerns me.

What kind of defense do they play?  1/2 court or full? Man, zone? 

And how hard do they play?

They played us man fullcourt.  We usually cleared out and let Harrel take charge.  We split our games with each team winning on their home floor.

The Lizards will play hard, their coach doesn't tolerate otherwise.  Ball handling is suspect at times.

I think the difference between Booneville last year and Dardanelle this year is Dardanelle does not have a Harrel-type player that can penetrate the defense with effect.  That is why I can't see the Sand Lizards pulling off an upset like Booneville did. 

Credit to them for getting this far, though remember that they beat a weakened Waldron team.

Basketball13

If we were picking finals of this portion of the tourney i believe we are going to see Subiaco and Maumelle.

WPWells

I agree with bb13. That's what I picked on my regional bracket

Nip/Tusk

I'm fully expecting 3, if not all 4 girls teams from the 4a-1 to advance to state. Berryville would be more of a long shot but are a scrappy bunch.

And I really think the 4a-1 boys will split with the 4. Not sure which two and really don't care as long as pg is one of 'em. Lol. My gut tells me Farmington finds a way to advance.

Uncle Tupelo

Will any of these games be broadcast online?

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Uncle Tupelo on February 25, 2014, 06:08:54 pm
Will any of these games be broadcast online?

Doubtful.  The cost to broadcast is pretty expensive.  The exception, I think, is for those schools that have broadcast all season, they will be allowed to.  The host school cannot just run a stream of all games (unless something has changed).

Oldbadger

I'm not sure but I feel that Lincoln, PG, and Farmington games will be streamed on PGTELCO.  Unless some rule prohibits it.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Oldbadger on February 25, 2014, 06:23:03 pm
I'm not sure but I feel that Lincoln, PG, and Farmington games will be streamed on PGTELCO.  Unless some rule prohibits it.

As of today, I don't think Farmington games will be streamed.

mightymustangs1

Quote from: Oldbadger on February 25, 2014, 06:23:03 pm
Subiaco usually streams their games also

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Perry Grove on February 25, 2014, 07:13:01 am
I'm fully expecting 3, if not all 4 girls teams from the 4a-1 to advance to state. Berryville would be more of a long shot but are a scrappy bunch.

And I really think the 4a-1 boys will split with the 4. Not sure which two and really don't care as long as pg is one of 'em. Lol. My gut tells me Farmington finds a way to advance.

I feel the same way.  Waldron girls can be dangerous if they're on, but even if they are I don't see them upsetting PG.  Pottsville is not the Pottsville of last season, but they should advance.  Mena-Ozark could be a very good game, I think it's too close to call.  Dover has a pretty stingy D and are well organized, but I think Farmington will eventually get the W.

In the boys, PG and Maumelle should have an easy time in the Wednesday games.  The Thursday games could get interesting.  Lincoln upended Subi last year and they are on their home court with a chance to repeat that.  Would be less of an upset this time.  Farmington and Pottsville will probably go right down to the end. Both of these could go either way.

Good luck to all!

Nip/Tusk

Pg website will have the pg games.

I think Arthur is right. You have to do so many games during the season before aaa will allow you to do postseason. ($$$$$)

Hasbeen33PR

Calling it right here folks Gravette stuns Maumelle in rematch of regionals from last year ;)

Pg
Lincoln
Pottsville

redfire75

Quote from: Hasbeen33PR on February 26, 2014, 07:25:47 am
Calling it right here folks Gravette stuns Maumelle in rematch of regionals from last year ;)

Pg
Lincoln
Pottsville
Quote from: Hasbeen33PR on February 21, 2014, 03:21:10 pm
You have to hold a kid to 22 points to win? Lol. My predictions are Lincoln over PG and Gravette avenges two odd games against Farmington
Well, it is possible that Gravette can pull off the upset. any team can beat any other team on any given day. as far as your prediction, I just wanted to share your conference picks for the 1-4a tournament last week  and ask how those predictions went?

Hasbeen33PR

0-2 baby! That's why I don't gamble for a living! But its fun to guess. Just hoping to see my boy play one more time before college.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: B.G. on February 24, 2014, 06:23:13 pm
King Pizza in Fayetteville on the right heading out.  It's just passed the Aldi's which is across from the Supercenter.

I still love going to Jim's Razorback Pizza when I'm in the area. Might hit it up Saturday before the Hogs-UGA game.

DerekOxford

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on February 26, 2014, 09:24:53 am

I still love going to Jim's Razorback Pizza when I'm in the area. Might hit it up Saturday before the Hogs-UGA game.

The one right off MLK?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: DerekOxford on February 26, 2014, 09:29:23 am
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on February 26, 2014, 09:24:53 am

The one right off MLK?

Yes. Went there when I was in college and it still looks the same. Good pizza though.

Nip/Tusk

There's also a less-crowded Jim's in pg. Right on Main Street.

Pgs game won't be easy against Dardanelle. Remember, pg was a 4 seed just 5 days ago. Lets go Tigers!!

I am expecting pg girls to move on without any problem.

OldTimeCager

Gravette 76 Pottsville 63 +13
Pottsville 77 Maumelle 67 +10

So, Gravette by by 23 over Maumelle tonight?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas