• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1-4A Boys

Started by Jimmy42, September 23, 2013, 11:09:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nip/Tusk

Ok Ballplayer. Where ya at?  Lol

You sticking with your pg over farm prediction for tomorrow? Your predictions tonight were not so great....:/

Ballplayer

Well I split tonight.  And yea I did say PG would beat Farmington if they played again so I guess I have to huh.  Hey give PG boys credit , they play hard and defense the heck out of you. Not always pretty but you'll always give yourself a chance to win when you play hard. Farmington is so well coached and play equally as hard.  Having watched Farmington destroy Gravette tonight , I just don't see how PG wins, unless they shoot the three great, will have to knock down 5 at least and big man in the middle plays big.

Nip/Tusk

February 22, 2014, 07:50:41 am #352 Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:37:07 pm by Perry Grove
Both pg/farm games were close this year. Pg blew a second half double digit lead just a week ago against them. If they can exploit them again I think they will finish this time. That is a big if though. Farm will be very tough on their home court.

You have to give both teams credit. Pgs game plan vs pr and Lincoln was pretty much perfect. Same can be said for farm against Gravette. BOTH coaches and players deserve the credit.

One thing I'm hoping for and actually expecting tonight: after the unbelievable moment these two teams shared last Friday, I'm really hoping that the games will be all class and the fans will be respectful of each other. The kids seem to do a better job with that than the grown ups sometimes.

Nip/Tusk

Gotta give Ballplayer some credit for calling this one.

Congrats to the Tigers players and coaches.

So awesome that pg closes down the farmington gym with an upset sweep for the district titles.

Ballplayer

Congrats to the Prairie Grove boys and girls,man those two teams play hard !!! And I will give credit to coach Edmiston , he has his kids playing hard the whole game. Thought they were in trouble when Tice got his 3rd foul in the first half , but they found away to get through it. Sat behind the Pursell kids grandmother at the game, after all the chanting and taunting of him for transferring from Farmington to PG she was happy as anyone. Sounds like a tough regional for the 1a boys but should be fun to watch

Nip/Tusk

Classy post Ballplayer.

Who's your team anyway?

Ballplayer

I just really enjoy high school basketball , it's hard not to pull for PG , they really seem to play the game the right way.

TIGER101

Quote from: Perry Grove on February 22, 2014, 11:19:14 pm
Gotta give Ballplayer some credit for calling this one.

Congrats to the Tigers players and coaches.

So awesome that pg closes down the farmington gym with an upset sweep for the district titles.

Plus 1

Nip/Tusk

February 23, 2014, 09:26:59 am #358 Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:19:19 pm by Perry Grove
101, didnt know you were still alive!

Thought you were in hibernation between football and baseball season!  Haha.

Would also like to thank Jimmy42 for his preaseason prediction of PG 7th and OldTimeCager for his "pg won't contend for a championship" comment. Just giving you a hard time guys. Lol

OldTimeCager

Congrats to Prairie Grove.  I didn't give them much chance of winning the tournament.  But like I've said in all of my posts lately, it's tournament time and ANYTHING can happen.  PG is without question playing their best ball of the year.  They've almost guaranteed themselves a spot at State by earning the #1 seed.  PG should get by Dardanelle easily while the rest of the 1-4A has some work to do.

Predictions:
Farmington over Pottsville by 7 (Pottsville is already 0-3 vs 1-4A and Farmington is playing very well)
Subiaco over Lincoln by 5 (Lincoln is not playing well)
Maumelle over Gravette by 12 (athletic ability and press too much for Gravette to overcome)
PG over Dardanelle by 10

Nip/Tusk

I don't know if anything will come easy for these tigers. I'll take a 1 pt win.

TIGER101

Quote from: Perry Grove on February 23, 2014, 09:26:59 am
101, didnt know you were still alive!

Thought you were in hibernation between football and baseball season!  Haha.

Would also like to thank Jimmy42 for his preaseason prediction of PG 7th and OldTimeCager for his "pg won't contend for a championship" comment. Just giving you a hard time guys. Lol

Just trying to get as much work in as possible before baseball starts.  I still troll around from time to time trying to keep up with some basketball news. 

doober3

Quote from: OldTimeCager on February 24, 2014, 10:09:31 am
Congrats to Prairie Grove.  I didn't give them much chance of winning the tournament.  But like I've said in all of my posts lately, it's tournament time and ANYTHING can happen.  PG is without question playing their best ball of the year.  They've almost guaranteed themselves a spot at State by earning the #1 seed.  PG should get by Dardanelle easily while the rest of the 1-4A has some work to do.

Predictions:
Farmington over Pottsville by 7 (Pottsville is already 0-3 vs 1-4A and Farmington is playing very well)
Subiaco over Lincoln by 5 (Lincoln is not playing well)
Maumelle over Gravette by 12 (athletic ability and press too much for Gravette to overcome)
PG over Dardanelle by 10

Didn't the Wolves lose to PG by 1?  So PG is peaking and Lincoln is not playing well?  Lincoln, I think has dropped a few games in a row, true; but I wouldn't say the aren't playing well.  PG is peaking now and the Tice kid is everywhere the ball is.  He is the heart a soul of that team. 

Ballplayer

Ty Tice is the man on that team, but give those other kids credit, Tice got 3 fouls in the first half of the championship game Saturday but the others kept the ship afloat. They are the perfect example that if you play defense and play hard your never out of a game and you'll alway give yourself a chance to win.  Some say this conference is down alittle , but to win 8 put of your last 9 is a great accomplishment

OldTimeCager

Here is my take on Gravette vs. Maumelle.  This may sound crazy going against an athletic Maumelle team, but I think Gravette's best chance is if they get into an up and down scoring race with Maumelle.  Gravette is best when they are in transition.  They can keep pace scoring with anyone in a fast paced game.  Troutner and Pierce have been at their best in this type of game when they don't have to face a half court defense and people can set up the box & 1 on Pierce and double team of Troutner.  A fast paced game also limits Maumelle's ability to set up in their zone press - which appears to be the key part of their game.

The other aspect will be Gravette's defense.  Pottsville beat Maumelle by setting up in a 2-3 zone.  Gravette's coach hates the zone defense and has only used it sparingly this year for the first time in his 5 years at Gravette.  Maumelle appears to be a horrible shooting team.  I think Gravette needs to play a zone and make the Hornets shoot threes and jumpers.  This also gives them better positioning on the block out to keep Maumelle off the boards - another critical aspect of beating the Hornets.  If Gravette will play a zone defense, can get the score up into the 70's or higher, and minimize turnovers against the press; then they have a chance of pulling the upset.  With that said, I think Gravette comes out in man to man defense and can't keep pace.

redfire75

Quote from: OldTimeCager on February 24, 2014, 02:14:27 pm
Here is my take on Gravette vs. Maumelle.  This may sound crazy going against an athletic Maumelle team, but I think Gravette's best chance is if they get into an up and down scoring race with Maumelle.  Gravette is best when they are in transition.  They can keep pace scoring with anyone in a fast paced game.  Troutner and Pierce have been at their best in this type of game when they don't have to face a half court defense and people can set up the box & 1 on Pierce and double team of Troutner.  A fast paced game also limits Maumelle's ability to set up in their zone press - which appears to be the key part of their game.

The other aspect will be Gravette's defense.  Pottsville beat Maumelle by setting up in a 2-3 zone.  Gravette's coach hates the zone defense and has only used it sparingly this year for the first time in his 5 years at Gravette.  Maumelle appears to be a horrible shooting team.  I think Gravette needs to play a zone and make the Hornets shoot threes and jumpers.  This also gives them better positioning on the block out to keep Maumelle off the boards - another critical aspect of beating the Hornets.  If Gravette will play a zone defense, can get the score up into the 70's or higher, and minimize turnovers against the press; then they have a chance of pulling the upset.  With that said, I think Gravette comes out in man to man defense and can't keep pace.
How did that zone and up and down Scoring race work out?

Hasbeen33PR

Obviously not very well smarta$$

Nip/Tusk

February 27, 2014, 09:55:10 am #367 Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:56:45 am by Perry Grove
Anybody that has seen Maumelle should have known that you won't win a fast paced game against them. Not when Gravette really only has 2 scoring threats.

I don't think Gravette could have manned them though either. They were just in a different league.

I'm just glad that pg (who someone on here said was going nowhere this year) is headed to state!

Ballplayer

i deserve that one Perry Grove.  I didnt see that coming when they were i believe 3-5 in the conference. To win 9 out of there last 10 any year is an amazing feat. I watched their game last night and they really have different kids step up every game. Tice and Soehner and a tough one two punch, but when guys like #00 Pursell step up and hit two big 3s early and #11 Galligan play like he did(14 points and big rebounds) they are a tough out. Listen they arent gonna beat Maumelle or prob Subiaco or Pottsville either but those teams will know they were in a battle after they play PG 

Nip/Tusk

Was I talking about you Ballplayer? Lol

Definitely have to give props to them as well. I said they were average during the year and they really were. I think they were 2-5 at one point in conference. Says a lot about the players to keep playing hard through tough times.

I'm not counting these guys out on anything till the season is over.

+1 to you Ballplayer for manning up though.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Perry Grove on February 27, 2014, 11:40:35 am
Was I talking about you Ballplayer? Lol

Definitely have to give props to them as well. I said they were average during the year and they really were. I think they were 2-5 at one point in conference. Says a lot about the players to keep playing hard through tough times.

I'm not counting these guys out on anything till the season is over.

+1 to you Ballplayer for manning up though.

I told you Grove before the season to watch out for PG, they had guards and big man. Steve didn't forget how to coach. He just hasn't had much talent until this year. Once they get to state they will they will be tough out.

Hasbeen33PR

Hey Grove

1) yep different league 6a  lol ( knocked us out 2 years in arow >:(
2) Touche'. On preseason prediction
3) rooting for PG rest of tourney I had the pleasure of hanging a little with Tice Pursell and the big Soph all good kids
4) made a friend in one of those kids dad he's a good guy.

Good luck!

Nip/Tusk

Thanks hasbeen.

And I agree with your points Cajun.

4AWhistler

February 27, 2014, 06:44:35 pm #373 Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 09:06:32 pm by 4AWhistler
Lincoln 63
Subiaco 45

Oldbadger

Lincoln boys win 63-45.

Nip/Tusk

February 27, 2014, 10:38:18 pm #375 Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:21:38 am by Perry Grove
1-4a boys with a very respectable split with the mighty 4-4a.

Lincoln / PG for round 4 tomorrow.
Ozark / PG girls for round 4 also.

OldTimeCager

How did that zone and up and down Scoring race work out?
[/quote]

What I didn't expect was 6 or 7 turnovers from Pierce and him struggling to even get a look at a three against a straight up man defense.  I was correct on Troutner being tough in transition as he dropped in 27.  Gravette was respectable on the boards most of the night.  The key, and my biggest fear, was turnovers against the press.  Clearly Gravette didn't prepare well for the quickness and jumping ability of Maumelle against the press.  Too much dribbling to beat the press and not enough pass fakes.  If Pierce hits 30 along with Troutner's 27 and we cut out 5+ turnovers, then it would have been a game. 

Agree with Hasbeen - not fair getting knocked out two years in a row by a 5A team that the AAA screwed up and dumped in 4A.  Latest enrollment numbers show Maumelle as currently the 16th largest 5A school out of 32 5A schools.  Good luck to them next year as they face competition their own size.  It will be a different ball game when they move up.  Ask Shiloh and Huntsville how that works out when they moved up.

Ballplayer

The 3 games lincoln and Prairie Grove have played have all been close, Lincoln won in OT at PG, PG won by 10 at Lincoln and PG won by 1 in the semis of district. Gonna be super tough to beat Lincoln on there home court tonight. Lincoln felt like they didnt get a call or two the other night so they feel like they have some pay back due.

Oldbadger

Quote from: Ballplayer on February 28, 2014, 09:30:57 am
The 3 games lincoln and Prairie Grove have played have all been close, Lincoln won in OT at PG, PG won by 10 at Lincoln and PG won by 1 in the semis of district. Gonna be super tough to beat Lincoln on there home court tonight. Lincoln felt like they didnt get a call or two the other night so they feel like they have some pay back due.
Lincoln beats PG 47 to 35.  PG wasn't playing as I expected.  They were never in the game.

4AWhistler

Quote from: Oldbadger on February 28, 2014, 06:45:20 pm
Quote from: Ballplayer on February 28, 2014, 09:30:57 am
Lincoln beats PG 47 to 35.  PG wasn't playing as I expected.  They were never in the game.
The Lincoln crowd and student section were definitely an advantage tonight.

Nip/Tusk

Lincoln crowd had nothing to do with it. Pg missed a ton of shots and Lincoln's team wanted it more.

Rusty Shackleford

Quote from: Perry Grove on February 28, 2014, 10:17:18 pm
Lincoln crowd had nothing to do with it. Pg missed a ton of shots and Lincoln's team wanted it more.

So what you're saying is that Lincoln is better than PG?

Nip/Tusk

Last night, definitely. A week ago, no.

Look man. Pm me and we can discuss. No sense in getting into a pi--ing match here.  Nobody wants to read it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas