• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A-4 East/West District and Regional Tournament Thread

Started by AB™, February 12, 2011, 01:04:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AB™

I'm not going to get my feelings hurt if you guys keep posting in the other 2A-4 thread, but I figured I would make another thread to talk about the upcoming district and regional tournaments for the two conferences.

AB™

Final 2A-4 Standings

Boys
1.  Mountainburg
2.  County Line
3.  Eureka Springs
4.  Hartford
5.  Hackett
6.  Union Christian
7.  Decatur

Girls (not sure on 4th and 5th)
1  County Line
2  Hartford
3  Mountainburg
4  Hackett/Eureka
5  Eureka/Hartford
6  Union Christian
7  Decatur

On the boys side, barring an upset, the semi-finals should be all chalk.

1 Mountainburg
4 Hartford

2  County Line
3  Eureka Springs

There's a fairly sizable gap between those four teams and the rest of the conference.

As for the girls, County Line's girls will more than likely not even be challenged en route to winning the tournament.  However, there's a lot riding on what should be a Hartford/Mountainburg semi-final match-up. 

Mountainburg has to beat the winner of the 5/6 game to make it to the semi-finals.  They do that then they put themselves in great position to win a game in regionals and make state.  They start four sophomores but are pretty talented.  They are 0-2 against Hartford on the year but very well could be 2-0.  In the first match-up their best player got three first half fouls and only played 3-4 minutes in the first half.  In the second game Mountainburg controlled things basically the entire game.  Lead most of the way until Eureka hit a buzzer beater to win.

What's the bracket looking like on the East side?

neutralfreeroamer

2A-4 East Girls Standings

1. Bigelow
2. Magazine
3. Danville
4. WYC
5. Hector
6. Two Rivers
7. J.C. Westside

2A-4 East Boys Standings

1. Danville
2. Magazine
3. Two Rivers
4. WYC
5. Bigelow
6. Hector
7. J.C. Westside

There could be some upsest with the 4/5 seeds but other than that it seems clear cut

HorseFeathers

2a4west
1. Line
2. Burg
3. Eureka
4. Hartford

2a4east
1. Danville
2. Magazine
3. TR
4. Bigelow

Regions
1. Danville
2. County line
3. Mnt burg
4. Magazine/eureka

County line is going to be tough for anyone to beat, especially with their district and region being at their place...and magazine, idk I think I may have seen them on a bad night, but I think a team with more than one big man will hurt them if its a close game..

AB™

HF, I would disagree with your picks or whatever, but both district and regionals are at County Line, so it's hard to do so.  Mountainburg is the best team in the conference, I think they proved that over the course of the season.  They went 11-1, and are one terrible half of basketball and some very questionable calls on the road from going 12-0.  I haven't seen Magazine play, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the West got three teams into the state tournament.  Eureka with their size, and the fact that they may have the best player in the region (most certainly in this district), is going to make them a very tough out.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AB™ on February 13, 2011, 08:23:36 pm
HF, I would disagree with your picks or whatever, but both district and regionals are at County Line, so it's hard to do so.  Mountainburg is the best team in the conference, I think they proved that over the course of the season.  They went 11-1, and are one terrible half of basketball and some very questionable calls on the road from going 12-0.  I haven't seen Magazine play, but I wouldn't be least be surprised if the West got three teams into the state tournament.  Eureka with their size, and the fact that they may have the best player in the region (most certainly in this district), is going to make them a very tough out.
. If district was anywhere else, I would pick burg to win district. My region picks were made to reflect my district picks.

RATTLER43

I am still hoping for the upset of Danville in the championship game for our boys. Will look toward regionals after district tourney is over. In fact we better just get ready for our semifinal game before looking ahead.

Hope our girls can stay on this roll.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RATTLER43 on February 13, 2011, 10:42:50 pm
I am still hoping for the upset of Danville in the championship game for our boys. Will look toward regionals after district tourney is over. In fact we better just get ready for our semifinal game before looking ahead.

Hope our girls can stay on this roll.

I would love to see you guys beat danville in district finals.

RATTLER43

We have yet to put together a good game against them. The first game was a shootout and they pulled away in the final 4 minutes after us being within 3; the second game we made defensive adjustments and they defended us so much better in the half-court game than the first time. In each game they shot the ball very well  and they forced turnovers very well. We must take care of the ball to have a chance.

If they shoot like they have against us they will be tough to beat in our district and region. They had no offensive liabilities on the floor at any time when we played them each time. Good team.

wonderboys

Magazine and Danville both have big time offensive threats, Danville just happens to have more. Also, Danville probably creates more points off of their defense than any team in the region. A lot of that credit has to go to Danville's coach for his defensive scheme.

b-ball fan

Don't forget anything can happen come tourny time. An upset in the district semis could through everything into turmoil. Both Districts have some parity, and no one is a lock to win their district or even make the final. Basketball is the one game where upsets happen every night!

I think this should be one of the more interesting Regional tournaments in the state. It is up for grabs with several legit contenders to come away with the championship. Good luck to all involved.

AB™

Heard Mountainburg looked REAL good at West Fork in a scrimmage tonight.  I know it's a scrimmage, but Mountainburg's rotation (top eight) had a 24-17 lead on West Fork's rotation (top seven or eight) at one point in the second quarter.  West Fokr played their starters in the 3rd quarter while Mountainburg played their 9-15 men and WF blew it wide open. 

Anyway, Mountainburg's rotation players more than held their own with West Fork's rotation players for a half.  But, it was a scrimmage, so read into what you will.  I wasn't there either.  I'm just passing on first-hand information. 

wonderboys

I know it is nice to get players some playing time, especially if there is a chance they will not get any through the rest of the season, AND you don't want to risk injury in a scrimmage, but why would Moutainburg not play their first 7-8 players in the second half? Also, what was the score at the half for the game?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wonderboys on February 16, 2011, 09:21:06 am
I know it is nice to get players some playing time, especially if there is a chance they will not get any through the rest of the season, AND you don't want to risk injury in a scrimmage, but why would Moutainburg not play their first 7-8 players in the second half? Also, what was the score at the half for the game?

I think you probably answered your question...Also, why not get the younger, end of the bench players some game experience, it might pay off down the road if an injury happens or a starter gets into foul trouble and you have to turn to them.

AB™

Quote from: HF on February 16, 2011, 10:05:59 am
Quote from: wonderboys on February 16, 2011, 09:21:06 am

I think you probably answered your question...Also, why not get the younger, end of the bench players some game experience, it might pay off down the road if an injury happens or a starter gets into foul trouble and you have to turn to them.

Well, we were already down one of our eight man rotation.  He's the one that hurt his ankle in warm-ups against Eureka last week and he sat out just to be safe.  So, we started the second quarter with three of the remaining top seven and they pushed out to a 24-17 lead.  But the only guard that was with the second unit that's a part of the regular rotation got busted in the nose and he didn't go back in the game.  That's when West Fork's press started getting to us.  We lost our only real ball-handler in the second group and West Fork had an 8 or 10 point lead at halftime. 

And there's no need to play your starers and rotation guys all four quarters in a scrimmage.  And like HF said, we got a chance to play some of our sophomores and the two seniors who don't play much and get them some experience.

wonderboys

Not very cool, beneficial, or smart of WF to still be playing their starters against that group.

I was more going along the lines of why not play your starters while they were playing theirs. But, I know that is a coaching decision and when Coach at WF saw his team taking over I hope he put his subs in.

AB™

Quote from: wonderboys on February 16, 2011, 12:04:46 pm
Not very cool, beneficial, or smart of WF to still be playing their starters against that group.

I was more going along the lines of why not play your starters while they were playing theirs. But, I know that is a coaching decision and when Coach at WF saw his team taking over I hope he put his subs in.

Well, like I said, I wasn't there, but I was told that he didn't take his starters and rotation players out until he built up about a 30 point lead in the third quarter.  We didn't play any of our top eight in the third or fourth quarter, so he built up that 30 point lead on our 9-15 men. 

greg6568

hey guys look on the bright side, atleast wf cheerleaders got a senior night  ;D!

AB™

We almost had a major upset on night one of the West district tournament.  Hackett had Eureka down as much as 8 in the third quarter and it was a back and forth game the entire fourth quarter.  Eureka ended up winning by 7 or 8.  Had they lost, though, talk about a major upset.     

wonderboys

Both WYC teams and Danville girls won tonight. How about the Two Rivers/JCW game?

And what about the West?

AB™

Got the district finals set up for the West on Saturday. 

Girls
1 County Line  vs.  2 Hartford

Boys
1 Mountainburg  vs.  2 County Line

The only game I could make it to tonight was the Mountainburg/Hartford game.  In the Eureka/County Line boy's game, I heard Eureka's best player got his 3rd foul with 6 or 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter, meaning he basically didn't play the first half.  Eureka is really only a two man team, and that player just happens to be the best player in the conference.  Eureka basically gave-up and County Line beat them by 30.

Mountainburg jumped out to a 12-2 lead on Hartford and never looked back.  Starters didn't play most of the 4th quarter, Hartford did what they always do by getting on one of their "hot streaks" and made some three pointers to keep the game closer than it really was.  Mountainburg still won 69-49. 

I'm going to be at Two Rivers tomorrow night to see Danville and Magazine boys in action.  The three seed from our district for regionals will be Eureka and the four seed will be Hartford.  You don't want to get the two seed and have to play Eureka in the first round.  But you might be catching them at the perfect time.  They may have shot their wad when they beat Mountainburg last week.  They were down by as much as 8 against Hackett last night, and barely won, and they got beat by 30 tonight.  They aren't playing very well apparently.

AB™

Is there anyway JCW could have beaten Two Rivers tonight?  It was the three seed vs. The seven seed and the three seed was at home. 

I'm guessing it will be Magazine vs. Two Rivers and Danville vs. WYC tomorrow.

Any chance of an upset in either boys game?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: AB™ on February 18, 2011, 12:01:09 am
Is there anyway JCW could have beaten Two Rivers tonight?  It was the three seed vs. The seven seed and the three seed was at home. 

seriously doubt it....but i'd like to say congrats to western yell county boys idk what the heck happened, but from last place to region berth is a huge turn around for that program, and I for one am no longer doubting the wolverines and their fans.

HorseFeathers

seriously doubt it....but i'd like to say congrats to western yell county boys idk what the heck happened, but from last place to region berth is a huge turn around for that program, and I for one am no longer doubting the wolverines and their fans.

b-ball fan

JC Westside pulls the upset over the host Two Rivers. Wow...thats some crazy stuff right there.

Congrats to all the Regional qualifiers.

AB™

Quote from: HF on February 18, 2011, 12:09:48 am

Quote from: b-ball fan on February 18, 2011, 12:52:04 am
JC Westside pulls the upset over the host Two Rivers. Wow...thats some crazy stuff right there.

Congrats to all the Regional qualifiers.

Huh, guess we were wrong.  Goes to show that anything can happen come tourney time. 

So, that sets up the semi-finals as so for the East...

1 Danville
7 Western Yell County

2 Magazine
5 Johnson County Westside

So, the last place team during the regular season and last year's last place team qualified for regionals this year. 

The eight regional teams for the 2A-4...

County Line (W1 or W2)
Mountainburg (W1 or W2)
Eureka Springs (W3)
Hartford (W4)

Danville
Magazine
WYC
JCW

b-ball fan

Danville will play WYC in the Semis, and Magazine will get JC Westside

AB™

Quote from: b-ball fan on February 18, 2011, 12:59:38 am
Danville will play WYC in the Semis, and Magazine will get JC Westside

Whoops, thanks.  Must have looked at it wrong.  Fixed.

b-ball fan

You had the seeds right the first time :)

1 Danville
4 WYC

2 Magazine
7 JC Westside

HorseFeathers

What's the girls matchups for tonight?  I know wyc beat hector last night.

wonderboys

Girls

1 Bigelow                       > 4:30
4 WYC

2 Magazine                    > 7:00
3 Danville

wonderboys

That is a great win for JC Westside. They have played several close games this year, but couldn't pull through. They are showing what they are capable of though. Their game with Magazine could go either way, a nail-biter to the end or a blowout by Magazine. Good luck to them.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wonderboys on February 18, 2011, 10:06:27 am
That is a great win for JC Westside. They have played several close games this year, but couldn't pull through. They are showing what they are capable of though. Their game with Magazine could go either way, a nail-biter to the end or a blowout by Magazine. Good luck to them.
I'm hoping for a nail biter in every game tonight, blowouts are boring lol

wonderboys

Well, all of them could go either way, as far as close or not. Danville boys beat WYC by 8 the first time they played, then could have mercy ruled them the second time. Bigelow girls beat WYC by 1 then did mercy rule them the second time. Magazine beat JCW by 4 or 6 and then by double digits. Danville and Magazine girls played two close games, but Magazine was up big in one or both. But Danville girls could be the team that pulls the blow out if they are shooting well or if their press begins to hurt Mag.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wonderboys on February 18, 2011, 10:16:21 am
Well, all of them could go either way, as far as close or not. Danville boys beat WYC by 8 the first time they played, then could have mercy ruled them the second time. Bigelow girls beat WYC by 1 then did mercy rule them the second time. Magazine beat JCW by 4 or 6 and then by double digits. Danville and Magazine girls played two close games, but Magazine was up big in one or both. But Danville girls could be the team that pulls the blow out if they are shooting well or if their press begins to hurt Mag.

I thought Mag beat Danville both times?

wonderboys

Magazine girls did beat Danville girls both times. I guess I misworded my post. I meant to say that if that game was a blow out it could have either team on the top side of it. Magazine has been up big on Danville, but Danville has the ability to flip it.

AB™

Quote from: HF on February 18, 2011, 10:08:41 am
Quote from: wonderboys on February 18, 2011, 10:06:27 am
I'm hoping for a nail biter in every game tonight, blowouts are boring lol

Me too.  I don't want to make an almost two hour drive to watch three blowouts.  It's hard to learn much in a blowout, too. 

HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers

Bigelow 50ish wyc 25ish final...sorry about not having the exact score

AB™

Don't remember the final score but Danville beat WYC by 20ush.  It wasn't that close though.

HorseFeathers

Listening to the danville/magazine game on the radio, and you would think that the danville players had never committed a foul in their life before tonight, the way the announcers are whining about how unfair it is that they keep getting fouls called. Anyway, I wish I would have been able to stick around for the two magazine games.

AB™

HorseFeathers

Lady little johns hit a buzzer beater for a 2 pt win

AB™

Danville fans, as a group, were very annoying as a group.  I'm not singling anyone out. 

AB™

Quote from: AB™ on February 18, 2011, 08:50:20 pm
Danville fans, as a group, were very annoying as a group.  I'm not singling anyone out. 

I wanted to expand on this.  I apologize if I offend any Danville fans, because it's not fair to say every Danville fan is obnoxious.  But, tonight, I sat on the Magazine side, right in the middle of the Magazine fans, and still heard Danville fans more than I did Magazines.  I don't think there was a good call in Danville's favor tonight according to their fans.  However, Danville's fans are very passionate and you could tell they energized their team.  Especially in the girls game.

Also, after watching Danville play, I'd be lying if I said they didn't worry me from a Mountainburg fan perspective.  However, I think Mountainburg is more than capable of beating them.  I do think the best possible regional final match-up would be Danville vs. Mountainburg, but Mountainburg has the monumental task of beating County Line on their home floor tomorrow night if they want that to happen.  Of course Danville has to beat Magazine in the district finals as well to get the one seed.

neutralfreeroamer

Quote from: AB™ on February 19, 2011, 02:12:14 am

I wanted to expand on this.  I apologize if I offend any Danville fans, because it's not fair to say every Danville fan is obnoxious.  But, tonight, I sat on the Magazine side, right in the middle of the Magazine fans, and still heard Danville fans more than I did Magazines.  I don't think there was a good call in Danville's favor tonight according to their fans.  However, Danville's fans are very passionate and you could tell they energized their team.  Especially in the girls game.

Also, after watching Danville play, I'd be lying if I said they didn't worry me from a Mountainburg fan perspective.  However, I think Mountainburg is more than capable of beating them.  I do think the best possible regional final match-up would be Danville vs. Mountainburg, but Mountainburg has the monumental task of beating County Line on their home floor tomorrow night if they want that to happen.  Of course Danville has to beat Magazine in the district finals as well to get the one seed.

Well this isn't the first time we have heard this. And it really doesn't bother us either. I guess its just we get more irritable than other fans do. And also the fact that everybody in the conference (with the exception to JC Westside) dislikes us.  But its all good because its just a game. We all know that.  And if the dominos fall in their spots we will have a Mountainburg/Danville regional finals.  And by the way those refs kinda didnt know what they were doing. It was seen in all four games.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: neutralfreeroamer on February 19, 2011, 10:38:25 am

Well this isn't the first time we have heard this. And it really doesn't bother us either. I guess its just we get more irritable than other fans do. And also the fact that everybody in the conference (with the exception to JC Westside) dislikes us.  But its all good because its just a game. We all know that.  And if the dominos fall in their spots we will have a Mountainburg/Danville regional finals.  And by the way those refs kinda didnt know what they were doing. It was seen in all four games.

The announcers on the radio making fun of the other fans and teams didn't really help Danville's fans case either.

RATTLER43

Elaborate on the making fun of other teams fans.

We don't all hate Danville (JC Westside feels exactly the way the rest of us do); fans just do not appreciate the obnoxious fans. I don't appreciate obnoxious fans from any school. I don't sweat it like some do. I just cheer my team, then my conference, then my area. I get loud just like the next guy but try to direct it positively about my team and never anti kids or schools. I am hoping that our team wins. I don't want any team to lose just for sake of losing(well, maybe the Celtics!  ;D - just kidding AB). I cheered Danville all the way to state title game in FB. Go to 2A football board for evidence. I will cheer Magazine until we win title or lose out. Then I will cheer whichever conference team remains(Danville is a likely candidate). Then I will cheer area(MB, CL, Eureka, etc.)

We have our own fans who can get beside themselves. Happens to all of us from time to time. Just hope none is pre-meditated malicious attempt to demean another school. Officials are also from time to time poor. I really believe they are trying to do the best they can do.

AB™

Quote from: neutralfreeroamer on February 19, 2011, 10:38:25 am

It's one of those situations that if you're a part of the fanbase you love it, but if you're not it can get obnoxious.  I like the passion, though.

I am hoping that Danville and County Line play (preferably in the semi's) though, because their fans in the gym together might be as entertaining as the game.

RATTLER43

County Line's fans as a whole are the most passionate in our area as far as basketball is concerned. The officials have tossed so many of them over the years. Even employees of the school have been tossed at games home and away!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas