• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The 2009 MLB Thread

Started by msubulldogs21, January 09, 2009, 11:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AB™

If they had retained Lee I still would have only had a small glimmer of hope that the Braves could win the division.  Them getting Halladay pretty wiped away any hope I had in Atlanta competing for the division crown. 

Let's hope we can find a way to fill some holes and contend for the WC.

redwolf143

Seattle Gives: Aumont, 2 prospects to Philly, 1 additional prospect to Toronto
Seattle Gets: Lee
Philly Gives: Lee, D'Arnaud, Taylor
Philly Gets: Halladay, 2 prospects from Seattle
Toronto Gives: Halladay
Toronto Gets: Aumont, D'Arnaud, Taylor, 1 additional prospect from Seattle

is the current buzz

dc24

Well as the one Mariners fan on the board, even though RHS may still like them too, I'm cautiously optimistic.  I wasn't very excited about the Bedard trade a couple of years ago because I knew that Jones was going to be a good one and Sherril was good as well.  I'm more excited about this because I think Lee is much better than Bedard and more proven.  I think Bedard had one great year and was hyped up too much.  We also didn't give up too much of our top farm talent either.  I do think Gillies will be a good one, but we have a CF in Gutierrez that should be here for a long time hopefully.  I'm not all that worked up over losing Aumont or Ramirez either.

Just my 2 cents though, Hernandez and Lee at the top of the rotation is really exciting though if they both keep doing what they have been.

trevster10

Quote from: AB™ on December 14, 2009, 04:22:41 pm<br />If they had retained Lee I still would have only had a small glimmer of hope that the Braves could win the division.  Them getting Halladay pretty wiped away any hope I had in Atlanta competing for the division crown.  <br /><br />Let's hope we can find a way to fill some holes and contend for the WC.<br />

Unfortunately, the last few years, this has always been the case.

AB™

Quote from: dc24 on December 16, 2009, 09:25:29 pm
Well as the one Mariners fan on the board, even though RHS may still like them too, I'm cautiously optimistic.  I wasn't very excited about the Bedard trade a couple of years ago because I knew that Jones was going to be a good one and Sherril was good as well.  I'm more excited about this because I think Lee is much better than Bedard and more proven.  I think Bedard had one great year and was hyped up too much.  We also didn't give up too much of our top farm talent either.  I do think Gillies will be a good one, but we have a CF in Gutierrez that should be here for a long time hopefully.  I'm not all that worked up over losing Aumont or Ramirez either.

Just my 2 cents though, Hernandez and Lee at the top of the rotation is really exciting though if they both keep doing what they have been.

Seattle definitely may be able to stake claim at having the best 1-2 pitching punch in all of baseball.  (St. Louis fans will argue, and deservedly so.) 

I had no clue that Adam Jones was a part of the Bedard deal a few years ago.  That was a dumb trade.  Jones is a potential 30/30 guy and already showed signs of his studliness.  Bedard had more than just one real good year in Baltimore.  He didn't have a bunch of spectacular seasons, but he strung together some very solid years on a terrible team in an extremely tough division for pitchers to put up decent numbers.

dc24

Yeah, he was, I was really worried about including him.  I know Bedard had some solid other years, but he was way over hyped after the great year.  He proved to be pretty effective when healthy, but he just kept getting hurt and others were questioning his heart.  I was pretty skeptical from the get go though, even though some people were predicting us to win the AL West that year and everything.

AB™

I never knew Adam Jones was in the Seattle farm system and part of the deal.  Like you said, including him for Bedard wasn't too bright.  Jones is a young 5 tool player.  Bedard is a very solid #3 option, but only when he's healthy, and that appears to be no too often.

Ty

Quote from: AB™ on December 17, 2009, 02:14:21 am
I never knew Adam Jones was in the Seattle farm system and part of the deal.  Like you said, including him for Bedard wasn't too bright.  Jones is a young 5 tool player.  Bedard is a very solid #3 option, but only when he's healthy, and that appears to be no too often.
Bedard certainly isn't worth Adam Jones.

AB™

Quote from: Ty on December 17, 2009, 07:26:48 am

Adam Jones is the kind of prospect you get a Cy Young caliber pitcher out of.  Or at least a top of the line starter with a few All-Star appearances. 

I don't follow too many teams and their farm systems (especially outside of the Braves) but I'm guessing that Jones wasn't only one of the top prospects in Seattle's farm system, but probably one of baseball's top prospects at the time of the Bedard trade.

dc24

Quote from: AB™ on December 17, 2009, 02:04:31 pm

Adam Jones is the kind of prospect you get a Cy Young caliber pitcher out of.  Or at least a top of the line starter with a few All-Star appearances. 

I don't follow too many teams and their farm systems (especially outside of the Braves) but I'm guessing that Jones wasn't only one of the top prospects in Seattle's farm system, but probably one of baseball's top prospects at the time of the Bedard trade.

Yeah, he was one of the top prospects in baseball, but we never really gave him much of a chance.  I think it was the only way Baltimore would accept the trade.  We sent Sherril and three other prospects too, but I don't know how the other prospects have faired.  It was still a horrible trade though.  Bedard was thought to be a #1 pitcher at the time though.  Apparently that coaching staff thought of him more highly than Felix.  Oh well, like I said, we have a great CF now that is fairly young and we're moving in the right direction now. 

jbell96

It figures the Mariners would have a good team right when I'm leaving the Seattle/Tacoma area.

AB™

Quote from: dc24 on December 17, 2009, 04:46:31 pm
Quote from: AB™ on December 17, 2009, 02:04:31 pm

Yeah, he was one of the top prospects in baseball, but we never really gave him much of a chance.  I think it was the only way Baltimore would accept the trade.  We sent Sherril and three other prospects too, but I don't know how the other prospects have faired.  It was still a horrible trade though.  Bedard was thought to be a #1 pitcher at the time though.  Apparently that coaching staff thought of him more highly than Felix.  Oh well, like I said, we have a great CF now that is fairly young and we're moving in the right direction now. 

Seattle quietly had a solid season last year.  The Angels and Rangers made all the noise in the West but the Mariners weren't as far behind as many may thing.  Adding Cliff Lee gives them a scary 1-2 punch and the Mariners should be improved from last year given their youth.  The Angels losing Lackey and eventually Guerrero may mean a fall for them.  I could see the Mariners or Rangers winning the Division next year if the Angels don't get a top of the line starter to replace Lackey.

Chris Murphy

Haha yes! The Cubs have gotten rid of Milton Bradley. Traded him to Seattle today for Carlos Silva and $9 million. It doesn't matter to me if he goes there and does well, I'm glad to be rid of him. Personally, I think he will do well in Seattle, due to the fact that it's not as major of a market as Chicago and there's less pressure on the team there. As for the Cubs end of the deal, don't know about Silva, but I'm glad about the $9 million. This allows us some money to go after a real center fielder and slide Fukudome back over to right.

RHS

Ever think you've gotten over a team you loved but realized you never will? I have to change back to calling myself a Mariners fan. It wasn't normal for me bailing on them last year since I've stuck with every team I've liked since I picked them. I'll still pay attention to the Sox since they battle the yanks and are their main competetiors, but if you met me I would say "I'm RHS. I'm a Mariners fan."

jbell96

December 22, 2009, 10:43:57 am #2264 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:42:01 am by jbell96
Rumor has it that the Yankees are getting Javier Vasquez from Atlanta for Melky Cabrera and two prospects. W T F Atlanta?

theHammer

Quote from: jbell96 on December 22, 2009, 10:43:57 am
Rumor has it that the Yankees are getting Javier Vasquez from Atlanta for Melky Cabrera and two prospects. what in the world Atlanta?
This is getting ridiculous.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: jbell96 on December 22, 2009, 10:43:57 am
Rumor has it that the Yankees are getting Javier Vasquez from Atlanta for Melky Cabrera and two prospects. W T F Atlanta?

I want to cuss.

jbell96

Why do teams just bend over & take it from the Yankees? Someone please tell me this.

Chris Murphy

This move pushes the Yank-mes salary for next season over $200 million. That's just ridiculous.

Baseball has to grow a pair and set a salary cap. The Yankees and Scott Boras are going to destroy this game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas