• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is the best coach in 1A?

Started by Neckred, December 13, 2017, 02:42:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neckred

I don't get to see much 1A ball but when I do very impressed with the quality of teams in 1A.  Just wondering who are the top coaches out there in boys and girls.  Who develops their players to the max?

lineman76

Bigleague

SackAttack

The guy with the most talent at any given time!! In class A its all about the talent available because it fluctuates so much year to year!!

thebigman3

Quote from: Bigleague on December 13, 2017, 03:08:07 pm
Double B up at Bay.
yep. him and WV girls coach. I think credit has to be given to Maullemell Charter boys coach. He has really turned that program around. Not the best but def a lot better.

Neckred

Quote from: SackAttack on December 13, 2017, 03:31:18 pm
The guy with the most talent at any given time!! In class A its all about the talent available because it fluctuates so much year to year!!
Totally disagree.  I want to know who the coaches are that develop their talent.  Make ball players!  Put the extra time in and work with their kids year round doing drills, not just working on plays like I see some coaches at big schools. 

thebigman3

Quote from: Neckred on December 13, 2017, 03:41:08 pm
Totally disagree.  I want to know who the coaches are that develop their talent.  Make ball players!  Put the extra time in and work with their kids year round doing drills, not just working on plays like I see some coaches at big schools.
Im with you there. You can't listen to anything he says.

BannerChaser95

Hard to say "best coach" in my opinion. Multiple guys with multiple rings.

Bradley coach has been down their a good minute and he's got a couple rocks for girls basketball.

Kirby coaches have both been to state finals. Multiple final 4's from both.

Wonderviews girls coach has been their done that for how long now?

County Line boys coach has been to multiple final 4's.

Hutch at guys has the rings.

Coach Jackson at acorn. Has acorn girls talented year in and year out. Then again his kids are the best players lol

You have to specify, is your criteria State titles, is it consistently being a good team? A bunch of good coaches in 1A. Just my take on it.

Splash199

The Woodlawn Coach is a young talented coach. I think he's 24-26 years old, and has the boys averaging around 80-85 points a game. Coaches all 4 teams. I know Woodlawn is a baseball school, but what Adair has done with the program is exceptional. I expect both Sr teams to make it to state.

Bomberman

Another really good 1A boys coach is Rocky Dodson, I know he doesn't have the championships but he gets everything out of the kids he coaches. He has got Omaha going pretty good right now and the Norfork teams he coached were always competitive with at least one final 4 and a few other quarterfinals. 

Majorpain

I agree on Rocky Dodson. He is a very good coach. Norfork was always competing with him and he also has a team this year that could be a contender.

SackAttack

Ok all jokes aside and on a very serious note here!! Do this---- Give the top 10 coaches in your opinion three consecutive bad classes in 7th 8th and 9th grade. NO size, no skill, weak, inexperienced, dont let anybody move in(Guy,Kirby,Bay,ICC) and in three years on a level playing field youd have your answer. Everything else is just conjecture and opinion! Everybody thinks their opinion is right. Some of the guys that Banner Chaser mentioned have always had talent so we dont really know do we!! Its a proven fact that "most anybody" can coach really talented teams but for my money Ill take a guy that can take bad to average teams and make them good over time.Example without calling any names--- this coach and school had a great run four five years ago and everybody was crowing about the second coming of John Wooden and for the last three now his teams are some of the most unorganized underperforming teams ive ever seen. Junior high team is really good so I suspect he will somehow miraculously figure it out again in a couple more seasons. Do you see where Im at with this ?? If not put your Glasses on Stevie Wonder. Just my nickels worth plus two cents change

SackAttack

Quote from: Majorpain on December 13, 2017, 09:44:08 pm
I agree on Rocky Dodson. He is a very good coach. Norfork was always competing with him and he also has a team this year that could be a contender.
I agree but his teams at Cotter were turrrible!! And this helps make my point. Im assuming he would probably tell you he had really good players at Norfolk and Omaha and not so good ones at Cotter

Bigleague

Lol.   Good point    And so true

BasketballNeverStops

I think Rocky Dodson is doing great at Omaha right now. I was really impressed with how disciplined and consistent that team was when I seen them. Of course Cornett is up there, took Concord to seven straight state tournaments, went to finals twice and won it all once. Has a pretty solid Pirate team this year. Also took Pangburn to their first ever state tournament in 2002. As for Brannen or Hutchcraft, I look at it like how I look at Phil Jackson. Yes, Phil Jackson may have been a good coach in his own right, but take Jordan and Pippen out at Chicago. and take Kobe and Shaq out at Los Angeles, and how many rings would the man have? Are we ranking these coaches based on titles or that they can win with whatever they are handed?

Backboard Shattered

Quote from: lineman76 on December 13, 2017, 02:53:51 pm
Joe Brunson
WSGF alumini!  Has ties to the Boss edge goes to him for that simple fact

LeftyWorld

You can debate about talent level but its all about what expectations are verses where a team finishes. Ive seen really talented teams not even make it to state, really sub par as far as talent goes teams make it to state. It is all about if a coach get their players to above the level they are suppose to be. Some coaches can just simply not coach talented players because they do not know what to do with that talent or how to develop them above where they are currently and do better with sub par athletes to get them at a higher level but still not what anyone would consider great but average. Then there are coaches who can not develop sub par players into average players but can take an average player to become a really good player. In short some coaches are better with a lot of talent, some are better with a little talent, and some are better with no talent. Its all in their methods and knowledge.

Neckred

Quote from: SackAttack on December 13, 2017, 09:54:46 pm
Ok all jokes aside and on a very serious note here!! Do this---- Give the top 10 coaches in your opinion three consecutive bad classes in 7th 8th and 9th grade. NO size, no skill, weak, inexperienced, dont let anybody move in(Guy,Kirby,Bay,ICC) and in three years on a level playing field youd have your answer. Everything else is just conjecture and opinion! Everybody thinks their opinion is right. Some of the guys that Banner Chaser mentioned have always had talent so we dont really know do we!! Its a proven fact that "most anybody" can coach really talented teams but for my money Ill take a guy that can take bad to average teams and make them good over time.Example without calling any names--- this coach and school had a great run four five years ago and everybody was crowing about the second coming of John Wooden and for the last three now his teams are some of the most unorganized underperforming teams ive ever seen. Junior high team is really good so I suspect he will somehow miraculously figure it out again in a couple more seasons. Do you see where Im at with this ?? If not put your Glasses on Stevie Wonder. Just my nickels worth plus two cents change
A good coach can make a good player great and a bad player good if he has them from 7th to 12th grade. 

Neckred

Quote from: LeftyWorld on December 14, 2017, 08:32:07 am
You can debate about talent level but its all about what expectations are verses where a team finishes. Ive seen really talented teams not even make it to state, really sub par as far as talent goes teams make it to state. It is all about if a coach get their players to above the level they are suppose to be. Some coaches can just simply not coach talented players because they do not know what to do with that talent or how to develop them above where they are currently and do better with sub par athletes to get them at a higher level but still not what anyone would consider great but average. Then there are coaches who can not develop sub par players into average players but can take an average player to become a really good player. In short some coaches are better with a lot of talent, some are better with a little talent, and some are better with no talent. Its all in their methods and knowledge.
Show me a coach who is better with no talent than he is with talent and I'll show you a stubborn coach. 

LeftyWorld

Quote from: Neckred on December 14, 2017, 08:34:27 am
A good coach can make a good player great and a bad player good if he has them from 7th to 12th grade.

A coach can not give a kid that "it" factor though. Some kids are naturally competitive and it shows in adverse situations. Especially at smaller schools there will be a 2-3 grade span that one is not talented but also just does not have that competitive drive that some are born with, and then you have that same span where kids are super competitive. I agree as far as skills go a coach can coach them up but there are other things that some people are born with and some are not and no matter how hard a coach pushes them or tries to teach it some kids never get "it". Then when they take the floor they look like they have no idea what to do because of the moment, but in practice they look like an all star.

LeftyWorld

Quote from: Neckred on December 14, 2017, 08:36:40 am
Show me a coach who is better with no talent than he is with talent and I'll show you a stubborn coach.

Once again are you thinking about where they end up at the end of the year or expectations??? How many coaches do you look at at the end of the year and go wow they did really well for no more than they had to work with, and then when they are loaded with talent and suppose to make deep runs they end up getting beat in regionals or first round of state and do not exceed or meet expectations.

Neckred

Quote from: LeftyWorld on December 14, 2017, 08:38:44 am
A coach can not give a kid that "it" factor though. Some kids are naturally competitive and it shows in adverse situations. Especially at smaller schools there will be a 2-3 grade span that one is not talented but also just does not have that competitive drive that some are born with, and then you have that same span where kids are super competitive. I agree as far as skills go a coach can coach them up but there are other things that some people are born with and some are not and no matter how hard a coach pushes them or tries to teach it some kids never get "it". Then when they take the floor they look like they have no idea what to do because of the moment, but in practice they look like an all star.
I can agree with this

SackAttack

Quote from: LeftyWorld on December 14, 2017, 08:41:18 am
Once again are you thinking about where they end up at the end of the year or expectations??? How many coaches do you look at at the end of the year and go wow they did really well for no more than they had to work with, and then when they are loaded with talent and suppose to make deep runs they end up getting beat in regionals or first round of state and do not exceed or meet expectations.
Ive seen this happen to some of the best coaches out there!! Im sure if you are in it long enough it most likely happens to them all. Does this make them a bad coach because in one particular year they had a bad game at the wrong time of the year and got bounced early! Like BasketballNeverStops said or was making reference to that its all about the body of work and consistency with varying talent levels!

LeftyWorld

No it does not make them a bad coach everyone has bad games but if it is happening multiple years or especially when those groups come through that just never live up to their potential then you can make that judgement but it is hard to make any judgment off of one year unless its lop sided one way or the other. and just because a coach with talent year in and year out doesnt do well it does not mean they cant be a great coach somewhere else with less talent or different kinds of kids. Brett B is a great example. Very successful with less talent and different kids at Wisc but down here he looked like he did not know how to develop kids.

monkeyman3434

Coaches who have been doing it over the long haul are the coaches at Kirby and Coach Harris at Bradley.  Year in and year out they are to be reckoned with and their kids play the game the way that its supposed to be played and they act the way they are supposed to

Ba$ketballFan54321

Quote from: monkeyman3434 on December 14, 2017, 09:45:19 am
Coaches who have been doing it over the long haul are the coaches at Kirby and Coach Harris at Bradley.  Year in and year out they are to be reckoned with and their kids play the game the way that its supposed to be played and they act the way they are supposed to

+1 to this. I've been watching these coaches for a long time and they're top notch.

GassvilleDragonfly

Quote from: SackAttack on December 13, 2017, 09:56:55 pm
I agree but his teams at Cotter were turrrible!! And this helps make my point. Im assuming he would probably tell you he had really good players at Norfolk and Omaha and not so good ones at Cotter
I know the players he had at Cotter. Those groups he had were talented, they just weren't that tough mentally. They almost had EPC beat in regional the year after Madden left, but the moment got to them. They also had to compete with the Cedar Ridge teams for district that won state three out of four years.

Ctucker

Quote from: GassvilleDragonfly on December 14, 2017, 11:22:19 am
I know the players he had at Cotter. Those groups he had were talented, they just weren't that tough mentally. They almost had EPC beat in regional the year after Madden left, but the moment got to them. They also had to compete with the Cedar Ridge teams for district that won state three out of four years.
cedar only won 2a state twice and won they moved up WCC won that conference last year cedar was in 2a WCC got second in the conference I only remember one year during them years were cotter made regionals.

GassvilleDragonfly

Quote from: Ctucker on December 14, 2017, 11:31:20 am
cedar only won 2a state twice and won they moved up WCC won that conference last year cedar was in 2a WCC got second in the conference I only remember one year during them years were cotter made regionals.
Half of the time he was there they were a 2A playing up to 3A for travel purposes. They still competed. He left halfway through the Cedar run, and Cedar won 2A state younger Reaves' Freshman And Sophomore years, then won 3A his Senior year. Cotter went to regionals 3 of his seven years there if I remember right. They haven't been back since.

Ctucker

Neckred

I saw the Reaves kid at Cedar and I've seen some coaches who would have never let him play the way he did.  They would have screamed over dribbling!!!!  Glad his coach let him play free

Bigleague

And you won't see any of those coaches on the best coaches in 1A board.   Lol. 

BannerMountainMan

Benny B was for a long time. But now I gotta say it might be Concords coach!

ErnestTBass

Neckred

Moonshiner

SackAttack

Quote from: ErnestTBass on December 14, 2017, 01:15:04 pm
I think this is a dumb thread!!
If you are grading this on the Bell Curve then my post would be in the top percentile Ill put it that way. Ill explain that to you if you want me to!! Might be a little over the head of most posters on here though. The Lower Seeds would not understand!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SackAttack on December 14, 2017, 03:28:48 pm
If you are grading this on the Bell Curve then my post would be in the top percentile Ill put it that way. Ill explain that to you if you want me to!! Might be a little over the head of most posters on here though. The Lower Seeds would not understand!!

Bell curves only exist in the fairy tale land of math classrooms

SackAttack

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 14, 2017, 04:16:49 pm
Bell curves only exist in the fairy tale land of math classrooms
That is true but surely youve heard that me and my partner Backboard are math wizards also. Weve come up with new a mathematical theroem called methametrics. But you are correct nonetheless and Im impressed that someone knows the bell curve theorem. You just moved up to a mid seed HF

ErnestTBass

Quote from: Neckred on December 14, 2017, 02:40:14 pm
It just got a lot dumber.  Thanks
Some things in life are simply impossible! This would be one of em.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: rebelfan on December 14, 2017, 11:16:50 pm
Izard County's Kyle McCandliss has won the state and last year made it to the semi-finals. Another one is Johnny Taylor. He is now at Caddo Hills. I don't now if that is a 1A school or not, but he has won two state tournaments, one at Wiener and the other at Rosebud. Highland had him for a year, but his mother is a friend of mine, and she said the other coaches were mean to him because he made more money than they did. Of course he made more money, because he was a good coach and some of the ones they had weren't. He left after one year. Probably the best chance Highland will ever have to win a state tournament and they run him off. That is disgusting.

ICC has won state with mcCandliss as coach?

Neckred

Quote from: rebelfan on December 14, 2017, 11:16:50 pm
Izard County's Kyle McCandliss has won the state and last year made it to the semi-finals. Another one is Johnny Taylor. He is now at Caddo Hills. I don't now if that is a 1A school or not, but he has won two state tournaments, one at Wiener and the other at Rosebud. Highland had him for a year, but his mother is a friend of mine, and she said the other coaches were mean to him because he made more money than they did. Of course he made more money, because he was a good coach and some of the ones they had weren't. He left after one year. Probably the best chance Highland will ever have to win a state tournament and they run him off. That is disgusting.
He told mommy they were mean to him?  LOL

eamo8911

December 15, 2017, 02:31:18 pm #42 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:32:56 pm by eamo8911
Quote from: fann07 on December 15, 2017, 06:33:46 am
ICC has won state with mcCandliss as coach?

I believe the OP meant that they won with him as a player in 2008.

gamechanger11

Wasn't the lady mustang supposed to compete in this conf this year. After returning all players. Michael Scott has let us all down this year. Kind of like our main man Gino. Eeeeeowww

Robert_Dorfenshootze

Quote from: gamechanger11 on December 15, 2017, 03:13:18 pm
Wasn't the lady mustang supposed to compete in this conf this year. After returning all players. Michael Scott has let us all down this year. Kind of like our main man Gino. Eeeeeowww

Imo, both of our coaches have been fine this year. Boys are competing for likely the 2 seed in our conference, and our girls haven't lost anything i would consider that bad of a loss, relative to our talent, just to be realistic.

gamechanger11

Lol you right, Rob. Those lady mustangs have looked sharp this week. 🤔🤔
An eked out win against a bad wcc and then blasted twice against avg teams. The guys are really about where everyone thought they would be. Eagles fly. Eeeeowww

Robert_Dorfenshootze

Maybe you're right. I have never claimed to be a basketball expert. We are more of a softball school in the first place. But I'm just saying I think he does an alright job. I don't think we are incredibly talented like you seem to think. Maybe you just see more/ know more than I do. I know our girls have played some decent teams close this season. And last year played some good teams close and even beat a very talented concord team at the end of regular season least year. I just don't think he's a bad coach, but like I said, I don't know enough to argue.

doctor in the house

1. Hutchcraft
2-5 could be anyone of the above on any given night or season..

thebigman3

doctor in the house

Quote from: Daddy eagle on December 17, 2017, 10:27:33 pm
I totally agree Doc. What a frickin legend them thunderbirds have on there hands. I mean wow. So many state champienships. It truly is amasing how he wins with the style of round ball they play. It's an lot of "showbirding" but somehow other coach's -like bozo- can't figure it out. Why don't we try showbirding. Hey it works oviously. This is why "so clutch hutch" is a frickin legend. Plus,,,, he is on my favoprite show American pickers accashionally.

Gonna be interesting to see who they get to replace him... Will also be interesting to see the list of who applies for the job..

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas