• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Region 3 @ Manila

Started by Head Lion, April 28, 2017, 12:01:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Lion

I will probably see every pitch. I will try to post scores and good performances during the tournament.

OB11

Thanks HL! Good luck to the Lions.

BoxNOne

Looks like it will be

Clinton vs Piggott
Corning vs Melbourne
Riverside vs Mountain View
Valley Springs vs Manila

Baller_34

So who's the top seeds in each district and is there any predictions?

RedWolf275

April 30, 2017, 03:00:41 pm #4 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:03:20 pm by RedWolf275
Clinton and Riverside won their districts and are #1 seeds
I like Clinton, Corning, Riverside and Manila to advance to state.

playthegame12

Clinton has a very strong team for their speed, bats, and it seems like just about every boy on that team can pitch.  They have a pretty well strutted team.  River side also has a good team by the looks of it, I hope to see Clinton or River Side in the Regional Championship

BoxNOne

Weather forecast doesn't look good for the Thursday first round games. I've never understood why they don't start these regionals earlier in the week. Weather is always a factor this time of the year.

Nomad1324

Quote from: BoxNOne on May 02, 2017, 08:26:01 am
Weather forecast doesn't look good for the Thursday first round games. I've never understood why they don't start these regionals earlier in the week. Weather is always a factor this time of the year.

My guess is that they leave room in case the district gets rain. The weather just plays havoc with baseball/softball.

Head Lion

Our fields drain really good, dry to the bone today. I figure we will play as long as it is not raining at game time. One problem, the areas around the field hold some water because the fields are built up.

ChokeNPoke

Quote from: Head Lion on May 02, 2017, 11:55:46 am
Our fields drain really good, dry to the bone today. I figure we will play as long as it is not raining at game time. One problem, the areas around the field hold some water because the fields are built up.
So did Manila receive a ton of rain today because I hear games are already called for tomorrow??

ricepig

Quote from: ChokeNPoke on May 04, 2017, 08:07:18 pm
So did Manila receive a ton of rain today because I hear games are already called for tomorrow??

They were postponed yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ArkActAssn/status/859806107254104064

Head Lion

May 04, 2017, 08:14:36 pm #11 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:16:27 pm by Head Lion
I just left the fields and the tournament director. AAA has been notified that that first round games will be played Saturday and 2 semis, consolation and finals all on Monday. Grass areas are good on both fields, but dirt just real mushy and the mist and rain is not supposed to end here until 2 am. Safe travels and good luck to all.

neaguru

Quote from: ChokeNPoke on May 04, 2017, 08:07:18 pm
Trumann already cancelled the 4a as well.

ricepig

Quote from: Head Lion on May 04, 2017, 08:14:36 pm
I just left the fields and the tournament director. AAA has been notified that that first round games will be played Saturday and 2 semis, consolation and finals all on Monday. Grass areas are good on both fields, but dirt just real mushy and the mist and rain is not supposed to end here until 2 am. Safe travels and good luck to all.

Yeah, it really didn't start raining in Jonesboro until 5ish, rained about .35 since and still raining. It's slowly moving to the east, and had only been a mist for most of the day.

General Lee

I would've done whatever possible to not play 2 on Monday! This really hurts the Region for next week in state.
I'm surprised they couldn't get the field ready to play at least a couple of games today. I thought it was a pretty good draining field?
Armorel, 20 miles away, starts at 10:00am!

ricepig

Quote from: General Lee on May 05, 2017, 09:20:08 am
I would've done whatever possible to not play 2 on Monday! This really hurts the Region for next week in state.
I'm surprised they couldn't get the field ready to play at least a couple of games today. I thought it was a pretty good draining field?
Armorel, 20 miles away, starts at 10:00am!

Armorel may have a tarp, does Manila?

hogman

Armorel has a tarp and has been on field since noon Wednesday. If we hadn't had tarp we wouldn't have play.

General Lee

Surely they could get it ready for a couple of games today, that's all it would've taken not to play 2 games on Monday. Diamond dry is your friend this time of year.

General Lee

And I know that it would put 2 teams at a disadvantage on Saturday but I can guarantee that Riverside would've volunteered to play 2 then vs Monday!

neaguru

Quote from: General Lee on May 05, 2017, 10:59:36 am
And I know that it would put 2 teams at a disadvantage on Saturday but I can guarantee that Riverside would've volunteered to play 2 then vs Monday!
AAA has to approve of all schedule changes this time of year I believe and highly doubt they would agree upon that schedule because of the disadvantage that it gives some teams. You throw your ace on Saturday and he is fully rested for Thursday and the guys you throw on Monday will be back for Friday if you make it that far.

Head Lion

The AAA was contacted and approved. I don't see where anyone gets a big advantage or disadvantage and I have looked far enough ahead, that their is a 80% chance of rain in Harrison on Thursday and Friday.

BoxNOne

Quote from: General Lee on May 05, 2017, 10:39:46 am
Surely they could get it ready for a couple of games today, that's all it would've taken not to play 2 games on Monday. Diamond dry is your friend this time of year.

After looking at other scores, it looks like Manila and Trumann were the only two regional hosts out of twelve that couldn't get their fields ready. I still say AAA should start these regionals on Wednesday at least.

Head Lion

Quote from: BoxNOne on May 06, 2017, 08:06:04 am
After looking at other scores, it looks like Manila and Trumann were the only two regional hosts out of twelve that couldn't get their fields ready. I still say AAA should start these regionals on Wednesday at least.
i don't disagree with that at all Box. It rains every year at this time, usually just not this much.

General Lee

Quote from: Head Lion on May 05, 2017, 02:13:08 pm
The AAA was contacted and approved. I don't see where anyone gets a big advantage or disadvantage and I have looked far enough ahead, that their is a 80% chance of rain in Harrison on Thursday and Friday.

The big disadvantage comes from having to play two games on Monday when no one else in the state does. Huge disadvantage for this region, surely people can see that. You will have at least two pitchers that will be on 2 days rest!
And if it rains it out Thursday everything would be even again but it's hard to depend on the weather this time of year.

ricepig

I'm not calling our Manila, or any school, but having a tarp for the infield, or turf, should be in their requirements for bids, too.

RedWolf275

Quote from: ricepig on May 06, 2017, 10:54:05 am
I'm not calling our Manila, or any school, but having a tarp for the infield, or turf, should be in their requirements for bids, too.

I agree with this!

RedWolf275

Clinton beats Piggott 14-1

Head Lion

Corning wins on a walkoff homer in 7th over Melbourne.

Head Lion

Quote from: ricepig on May 06, 2017, 10:54:05 am
kinda like lights???

Oldref

Hey this region is lucky the AAA didn't make them play on Tuesday also. The AAA will loose one day gate money by having it only go two days. AAA is all about the $$$

No reason in the world to not start these on Tuesday or Wednesday so you have some wiggle room for weather.

As for tarps Armorel told me the steel mill loaned them the tarps last week.  HL I figured with your connections you could swing that for Manila also in the future. :)

ricepig

Quote from: Head Lion on May 06, 2017, 02:59:26 pm
kinda like lights???

It only asks if you have lights on Regional bids, you would think that would be mandatory, too.

RedWolf275

Riverside over Mountain View 8-4

Head Lion

We have tarps for mound & home, but we went back to dirt base paths(I like better) & those were not covered & real mushy. We might have could have played Friday, but the field would have been horrible for the first 2 games & then everyone would have said we didn't care about the first 2 games since we played last. Always a no win situation. I hope the kids had an enjoyable experience today & im good.

Head Lion

Manila 8-0 over Valley Springs

Head Lion

Quote from: Oldref on May 06, 2017, 03:31:42 pm
Hey this region is lucky the AAA didn't make them play on Tuesday also. The AAA will loose one day gate money by having it only go two days. AAA is all about the $$$

No reason in the world to not start these on Tuesday or Wednesday so you have some wiggle room for weather.

As for tarps Armorel told me the steel mill loaned them the tarps last week.  HL I figured with your connections you could swing that for Manila also in the future. :)
Not sure Oldref, we had some big crowds today. About as big as I have seen in my 40+years of watching hi school baseball. I guess it finally quit raining and everyone wanted to get out.

BannerMountainMan

Bad disadvantage. Pitching rule is a killer and it really is going to hurt this region. This is not going to end well.

Rebelfan77

I don't think it will hurt everyone's pitching. I'm not sure where you think it will end bad? How many teams from this region have you actually watched play more than once?

neaguru

It's that big of a disadvantage, how man pitchers do you need for Thursday? Your ace should be capable of going the distance this time of year and if not you only need 1 reliever. What I think people are more worrried and upset about is not being able to pitch your ace for 110 on Monday if he didn't pitch on Saturday.

Head Lion

Manila is the only team of the 4 to pitch their #1 yesterday, but there is not much difference between him & our #2. I like the pitch count rules, it keeps coaches in some ways of "riding" a kids arm to death at smaller schools. Plus it makes coaches develop a group of pitchers.

BoxNOne

I know Riverside intended to pitch their #1 in the semifinals all along. The goal was to avoid Harding and Mayflower in the first round of state. Sure they would have rather the semi had been Saturday than Monday but it is what it is as they say. Big chance of rain at Harrison on Thursday so maybe it will all even out after all.

General Lee

Quote from: neaguru on May 07, 2017, 06:56:31 am
It's that big of a disadvantage, how man pitchers do you need for Thursday? Your ace should be capable of going the distance this time of year and if not you only need 1 reliever. What I think people are more worrried and upset about is not being able to pitch your ace for 110 on Monday if he didn't pitch on Saturday.

What if your ace has to go the distance Monday?
And one of your other pitchers also have to throw 85+...still know disadvantage?

Head Lion

It is what it is. If a team is good enough to go deep or win state, it is not that much to overcome. Teams that go deep will have the pitching staff to do so.

neaguru

Quote from: General Lee on May 07, 2017, 10:39:38 am
What if your ace has to go the distance Monday?
And one of your other pitchers also have to throw 85+...still know disadvantage?
Your ace didn't  have to throw on Monday your coach just elected to throw him on Monday.  He could've thrown on Saturday and everything would be fine and dandy.

ricepig

Quote from: neaguru on May 07, 2017, 11:26:42 am
Your ace didn't  have to throw on Monday your coach just elected to throw him on Monday.  He could've thrown on Saturday and everything would be fine and dandy.

Don't you have to win one game at Regional to qualify for the state tournament? If you choose not to pitch your best in the first game, you're already gambling on your future.

neaguru

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2017, 11:53:03 am
Don't you have to win one game at Regional to qualify for the state tournament? If you choose not to pitch your best in the first game, you're already gambling on your future.
Exactly my point rice.

BoxNOne

You two guys obviously don't know much about Riverside or Mountain View. Let's just say Riverside had no need to pitch their ace in that game. Making the state was a given so why waste him there.
He was going to pitch the semifinal game from the get go. That where the Saturday vs Monday comes into play.

General Lee

Quote from: BoxNOne on May 07, 2017, 03:22:32 pm
You two guys obviously don't know much about Riverside or Mountain View. Let's just say Riverside had no need to pitch their ace in that game. Making the state was a given so why waste him there.
He was going to pitch the semifinal game from the get go. That where the Saturday vs Monday comes into play.

Nor do they know much about trying to "WIN" a state tournament...not just get there and be happy! Unbelievable that people can't see that the games being pushed back hurts your pitching staff. I'd rather have Gavin on full rest Thursday myself but hey what do I know?

ricepig

Quote from: General Lee on May 07, 2017, 03:34:36 pm
Nor do they know much about trying to "WIN" a state tournament...not just get there and be happy! Unbelievable that people can't see that the games being pushed back hurts your pitching staff. I'd rather have Gavin on full rest Thursday myself but hey what do I know?

You have to get to the state tournament to win it. Sure, there are instances where you are vastly better than your first round opponent, but don't think many a team hasn't gone home with bullets in their gun, lol.

Head Lion

Ok guys I am trying to remain positive about a tough situation, because I have a lot of respect for the Rebels and their communities.

BoxNOne

Quote from: ricepig on May 07, 2017, 04:15:22 pm
You have to get to the state tournament to win it. Sure, there are instances where you are vastly better than your first round opponent, but don't think many a team hasn't gone home with bullets in their gun, lol.

Not this one

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas