• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Conference

Started by BigMan15, September 24, 2014, 09:36:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

TheGovernor

Harding, Cedar Ridge,  Marianna in 3a-2...

WildcatGrandpa13

ECS, BHG, and Mayflower in 3A-5. ECS and Mayflower are both top 5 teams in the state

Eagle20

From what  I hear BHG will surprise some people. 

neds

Quote from: Eagle20 on September 24, 2014, 07:10:23 pm

Never underestimate their coach

TheGovernor

Mayflower will be down... Episcopal and BHG will be good.. episcopal has that conference though. Not as tough as 3a-2 in my opinion. You looking at a tough cedar ridge team who won state and Harding. Not to mention Marianna who held their own in 4a. Very competitive conference no hands down winner in that one

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: TheGovernor on September 24, 2014, 07:32:56 pm
Mayflower will be down... Episcopal and BHG will be good.. episcopal has that conference though. Not as tough as 3a-2 in my opinion. You looking at a tough cedar ridge team who won state and Harding. Not to mention Marianna who held their own in 4a. Very competitive conference no hands down winner in that one
ECS won state last year...

TheGovernor

Exactly they have an easy path to state again... it would be tougher for them in 3a-2

BigMan15

I think 3a-5 is the toughest but not as tough as last year followed by 3a-2 then 3a-4

Moonshiner

Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on September 25, 2014, 09:08:40 am
ECS won state last year...

Cedar Ridge won 2A the last 2 years. The clock was running in the state final last year over an undefeated team.  But, that was last year. The year before they beat EPC in the finals.  EPC was led by Malik Monk and also had ASU signees Jamaar Sturdivant.

Eagle20

No one is talking about Jessieville but they returned virtually everybody and have two athletic move-ins.  3a-5 will be tough again.

TheGovernor

Yes Jessiville will be good this year. They always get some move ins and they had a decent team last year

cdelaney

Quote from: Eagle20 on September 24, 2014, 07:10:23 pm
So I thought their coach went to Benton and that at least one of the returning starters also is at Benton, plus the seniors they lost. Who will take up the slack from those losses, or maybe I am wrong about the Benton thing.

cdelaney

I know Cedar Ridge's success last two years, and sounds like they will be competitive in 3A. Harding was down a lot last year- will they be better by being more experienced, or new players? And I don't know Marianna's team. I don't think they made state tourney last year, or at least didn't last long if they did. What do they have coming back? Did they play any good 3A teams last year.
Either way, should be a great Regional if 2 and 5 continue to be paired up.

Eagle20

Coach Hogue from Baptist went to Harmony Grove.  They had two or three starters back and had a couple of kids move in from out of state.  Heard they were going to be very solid.  They will play a different style of basketball without the big boys.

bobcats

Is the best conference the top teams or the best top to bottom.  The bottom in the 2 and 5 are really bad, but they do have some really good teams at the top. Outside of the top 3 or 4 in the 5, the rest are really, really bad.  Other conferences may be better 1-8 or 9.

TheGovernor

Don't know of any really bad teams in 3a-2 and 3a-5 other than Perryville and bald knob that I can think of.

bobcats

Quote from: TheGovernor on September 26, 2014, 04:16:08 pm
Don't know of any really bad teams in 3a-2 and 3a-5 other than Perryville and bald knob that I can think of.

Let's see,  Bismarck, Glen Rose and Perryville.

TheGovernor

So your saying 3a-5 is not strong top to bottom. Good point I would agree

bobcats

Governor, is Marianna now called Lee County?

TheGovernor

I assume so. The should be a salty 3a team.. not sure on the name Lee County I might need to research that but that sounds right

bobcats

Quote from: TheGovernor on September 26, 2014, 07:55:25 pm
I assume so. The should be a salty 3a team.. not sure on the name Lee County I might need to research that but that sounds right

I was looking on the AAA website checking out the conference alignments and that is how they listed them.  I know other schools have done the same thing.  Gone to a county wide school district but retain the main school name for athletics.

TheGovernor

Bet that is them then. They have talent. Saw them play heber springs last year and they had loads of athletes that were sophomores

North Face

Marianna is not the same as Lee County.

TheGovernor

Northface.. I did research and Lee County is in fact Marianna. The state came in and had to take over due to many problems but they are in fact the same

cdelaney

Quote from: bobcats on September 26, 2014, 05:03:33 pm
Quote from: TheGovernor on September 26, 2014, 04:16:08 pm

Let's see,  Bismarck, Glen Rose and Perryville.
I don't know Bismarck since they are new to conference. GR and Perryville were pretty bad last year and I don't see much hope for them improving. Jessieville was very young but improved as the season progressed, so I think they will win more conference games. I don't know of any 3A conferences that have more than 3-4 decent teams most years. I think you have to evaluate them by how they do in regionals and state. 5 stacks up pretty well past 2 years and probably will again this year. With addition of CR and I guess Marianna/Lee the 2 will be improved. They were bad last year.

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: Eagle20 on September 26, 2014, 11:15:07 am
Coach Hogue from Baptist went to Harmony Grove.  They had two or three starters back and had a couple of kids move in from out of state.  Heard they were going to be very solid.  They will play a different style of basketball without the big boys.
Jeff Hogue is the BHG Boy's basketball coach?

HorseFeathers

September 29, 2014, 10:35:44 pm #27 Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:39:48 pm by HF
Quote from: WildcatGrandpa13 on September 29, 2014, 09:39:36 pm
Quote from: Eagle20 on September 26, 2014, 11:15:07 am
Jeff Hogue is the BHG Boy's basketball coach?

Yep....was hired back in May after the former coach took the same position at Benton. And apparently took a few players with him as well...or so rumor has it.

beaverfan

I don't know Bismarck since they are new to conference. GR and Perryville were pretty bad last year and I don't see much hope for them improving. Jessieville was very young but improved as the season progressed, so I think they will win more conference games. I don't know of any 3A conferences that have more than 3-4 decent teams most years. I think you have to evaluate them by how they do in regionals and state. 5 stacks up pretty well past 2 years and probably will again this year. With addition of CR and I guess Marianna/Lee the 2 will be improved. They were bad last year.
[/quote]

GR was pretty bad last year? Didn't they beat Jessieville last year? I'm not saying they were great, but you can't say Jessieville impressed you and GR was bad if GR beat Jessieville. Traditionally, they have been awful. But last year was a little better - I think they won 12 games. I do think 5 is the best conference in the state - boys and girls.

cdelaney

Quote from: beaverfan on September 30, 2014, 09:32:39 pm

GR was pretty bad last year? Didn't they beat Jessieville last year? I'm not saying they were great, but you can't say Jessieville impressed you and GR was bad if GR beat Jessieville. Traditionally, they have been awful. But last year was a little better - I think they won 12 games. I do think 5 is the best conference in the state - boys and girls.
[/quote]Just basing it on what I saw last year when both teams played ECS home and away, and how they both looked  in conference tourney. Jessieville made more progress, were a young team and seemed to respond to coaching through the year. I just think they will be improved this year and win more games, and didn't really see that progress in GR. Maybe they will prove me wrong- I have been wrong plenty of times before!

beaverfan

Jessieville and GR were pretty even last year I thought. (They both won in the district tournament)
I think Jessieville was young and I'm not sure about GR. My point was GR was a lot better last year than they have traditionally been. Jessieville will be the better team this year I believe.  Either way - 5 is the best in 3A 😃

WildcatGrandpa13

Quote from: beaverfan on October 01, 2014, 10:53:10 am
Jessieville and GR were pretty even last year I thought. (They both won in the district tournament)
I think Jessieville was young and I'm not sure about GR. My point was GR was a lot better last year than they have traditionally been. Jessieville will be the better team this year I believe.  Either way - 5 is the best in 3A 😃
Not trying to knock anything you are saying, but GR was not that good last year. Maybe better than they traditionally are, but still nothing to brag home about. And it didn't help that they had a couple kids on their team with tempers

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas