• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The cultural aspect(s) of soccer - a discussion

Started by pitchperfect, May 13, 2017, 10:20:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pitchperfect

May 13, 2017, 10:20:46 am Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:40:46 pm by sevenof400
Looks like CAC got exposed. Their schedule was not up to par this year and it appears they were ill prepared for a team of Warren's caliber. I think it also demonstrates that the club kids have nothing on the Hispanic way of developing young soccer players.Get a ball on their feet as early as possible teach them great technical skills, get out of the way and let them play. 

sevenof400

May 13, 2017, 10:38:41 am #1 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:41:07 pm by sevenof400
The Hispanic way?  As if that is an organized method?

This made me laugh I must say... Now to be fair, there is a lot to say for letting kids play and getting out of the way but it certainly isn't the only way. 

AirWarren

May 13, 2017, 11:21:25 am #2 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:41:16 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: sevenof400 on May 13, 2017, 10:38:41 am
The Hispanic way?  As if that is an organized method?

This made me laugh I must say... Now to be fair, there is a lot to say for letting kids play and getting out of the way but it certainly isn't the only way. 

What's the Hispanic way? Haha

If only the "club kids" could master soccer like the "black ways" of basketball and "white ways" of tennis.

Mijally2

May 13, 2017, 11:45:27 am #3 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:41:25 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: AirWarren on May 13, 2017, 11:21:25 am
What's the Hispanic way? Haha

If only the "club kids" could master soccer like the "black ways" of basketball and "white ways" of tennis.
There is no correlation between race and a team sport. Soccer, like all sports, is color blind if you practice enough.

pitchperfect

May 13, 2017, 12:51:50 pm #4 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:41:35 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: Mijally2 on May 13, 2017, 11:45:27 am
There is no correlation between race and a team sport. Soccer, like all sports, is color blind if you practice enough.

That was my point. The hispanic kids are not good because their parents are spending a fortune on their training and driving them to Timbuktu on the weekends to find decent competition. They are good because they started kicking a balll around as tykes and were taught foot skills by fathers, brothers uncles and others in their community. They are good because they don't need fancy facilities and a regional premiere league to play. Nothing racist about the comment.

sevenof400

May 13, 2017, 01:24:14 pm #5 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:41:44 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: Mijally2 on May 13, 2017, 11:45:27 am

I do think there is something culturally though. 

Ladyfan

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 13, 2017, 01:24:14 pm

Agree and let's stop assuming all of the CAC players are club players. They aren't. 6 of 18 do play club...so the majority don't. CAC is a good team. Beat many other good teams this season and did play a lot of weak teams.

If you want to see if there are factors others speak of, play against an all club team such as Catholic High. See how that goes for you.

CAC played their JV team this year (again, all club players) and won.

sevenof400

A note to all in this thread - please forgive the edit from me that appears in each entry, but in order to move this discussion to a thread of its own I had to split these posts from the state tournament thread in which it started.

Please, let's carry on with this....

Mijally2

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 13, 2017, 01:24:14 pm
I agree because all cultures prioritize with athletes and practice the sports they enjoy the most.

JFSM

I don't believe there is a "hispanic way" to grow kids in soccer but i do believe the hispanic culture is taken over soccer in Arkansas showing to be the dominate force

Lets Go 5

Quote from: JFSM on May 13, 2017, 04:07:56 pm
I don't believe there is a "hispanic way" to grow kids in soccer but i do believe the hispanic culture is taken over soccer in Arkansas showing to be the dominate force

With boys your 100% right. But not so much with the girls. The girls are growing I think more because of club players.

Rocket23

Many of them don't grow up playing baseball, basketball, football and splitting their time among sports.  They play soccer and it is part of their culture, but they aren't good just because they are Hispanic.

Every Sunday a huge group of Hispanics meet at Henderson in Little Rock.  They cook, socialize and play soccer all day.  Soccer is their sport.  They do that in places all over Arkansas.  I am sure there is a place like that in Hot Springs for instance.  When I lived up in NWA, they would gather in Rogers for a big day of soccer and socialization. 

But they aren't good just because they are Hispanics.  Evidently, the girls don't grow up with the emphasis on soccer the boys have because I have several all Hispanic girls teams that aren't good.

Today was the first time I have watched a real good high school boys soccer match when LRCA played Hot Springs.  It was great watching both teams, but the best team won today.  The skill of passing, ball handling, leg strength and the overall game was very enjoyable to watch.  #7 for Hot Springs was fun to watch. 

pitchperfect

If not for the growing influence of the Hispanic kids on Arkansas HS soccer, this state would be even further behind the surrounding states in soccer. I love watching teams like Warren and Dardanelle play. They are skilled and have a better tactical understanding of the game than most teams in the state. It is true that the Hispanic girls do not play the game in the same numbers as the boys. A cultural thing that is unfortunate. Looks like a great match in the finals. Good luck to both the Sand Iguanas and the Lumber Jose's.

sssuperpantherfan2

VHSCoach2

hogbert

Erik is a player for sure, but in fairness, if you just saw today's game you wouldn't necessarily know it. We man marked him, which I would suggest everyone do, and then handled the rest of their offense with 3 defenders. Don't believe our goalie made a save in the first have, but had several in the second. Not saying HS didn't get off shots, or that they didn't deserve to win...they did. Just saying the plan for #7 was executed. BTW, they man marked our goal scoring striker as well, and their defense overall is pretty salty. Good game imo.

Rocket23

I agree.  Great game and the two big scorers were shut down.  But even more impressive that he got off the shots he did in both halves and tightly as he was covered.  He had two near misses wide left in first half and a couple over the goal into a stiff win with hardly any room.  He has such a quick kick and needs very little room.  Like a gun shooting.

LRCA is losing  four or so seniors, couple of which were heart and soul of offense, but had a core group of freshmen that started including the goalie who was incredible today.

AirWarren

I love seeing soccer on the rise in Arkansas.

Warren has seemed to embrace it big time. And it's paying off. 5th year of the program and already playing for a title. I think it's just awesome.

beach bum

May 14, 2017, 10:10:00 am #19 Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:14:11 am by beach bum
Quote from: AirWarren on May 13, 2017, 11:36:34 pm
I love seeing soccer on the rise in Arkansas.

Warren has seemed to embrace it big time. And it's paying off. 5th year of the program and already playing for a title. I think it's just awesome.

I think this exemplifies everything. I don't think soccer in Arkansas is race or ethnicity as much as it is winning culture in a community.... Warren has that. It's all about the winning culture in a town more than anything. Many of the same programs that are solid elsewhere are starting to peck up the ladder in soccer as well it seems the more teams that join the show in the sport.

sevenof400

A few subjects I'd like to discuss in this thread include (but are not limited to):

• The growth and now what appears to be a decline of club soccer in this state having an effect on some portion of the high school soccer scene.
  • The continued rise of soccer within an expanding number of Hispanic communities giving more Hispanic male youths the opportunity to play and at an improving level as time has elapsed.
  • A failure(?) or at least a willful ignoring of soccer opportunities for Hispanic females.  I believe this has (at least) some cultural origins.
  • Schools failing to recognize, prioritize and value soccer as part of their sports programs.

I don't have too much time today but I'll try to add more on each of these later as I can.  But much as many of us did when discussing the private v public issue over on the football thread, let's look at issues identified in that same manner. 

More to follow...

futbolsoccer

May 14, 2017, 11:59:31 am #21 Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 12:05:39 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: sevenof400 on May 14, 2017, 10:21:39 am
  • A failure(?) or at least a willful ignoring of soccer opportunities for Hispanic females.  I believe this has (at least) some cultural origins.
  • Schools failing to recognize, prioritize and value soccer as part of their sports programs.

issue with female Hispanic players is "Cultural"
I coach club soccer and I have 4-6 Hispanic girls on my team, I been trying to bring more girls to the game talking to their parents and explain how it works, the girls want it to play, but parent wont give up a day of work or church to take girls to practices or games, and many other told me that soccer "futbol" is for boys.
I'm a Hispanic coach and is very sad for me to see this going on with the girls who want to play soccer.

don't matter the color or race, you can be become a great player, why Hispanics boys are a step ahead?
they don't play other sports but soccer, many other kids, play 2-3 sports and don't have enough time spend in one specific sport and be one of the best.

in our "CULTURE"  we play soccer because is the cheapest sport in our countries just need a ball and goals.

middle school will be the time to start with soccer just like we with football, basketball and volleyball.

sssuperpantherfan2

I agree!^^^ Anyone can be good at soccer with dedication, help from friends and family support is invaluable to the process. As a Siloam parent my kid has been playing for 10 yrs of club and Rec ball, she has core group that has moved up with her that benefits the HS program. 

Go Postal

A great and dedicated soccer coach is always a plus.  Harrison for example, going for the girl's 6th Championship, the school's 12th trophy in the 15 years that our program has been around.

4real

Quote from: futbolsoccer on May 14, 2017, 11:59:31 am

issue with female Hispanic players is "Cultural"
I coach club soccer and I have 4-6 Hispanic girls on my team, I been trying to bring more girls to the game talking to their parents and explain how it works, the girls want it to play, but parent wont give up a day of work or church to take girls to practices or games, and many other told me that soccer "futbol" is for boys.
I'm a Hispanic coach and is very sad for me to see this going on with the girls who want to play soccer.

don't matter the color or race, you can be become a great player, why Hispanics boys are a step ahead?
they don't play other sports but soccer, many other kids, play 2-3 sports and don't have enough time spend in one specific sport and be one of the best.

in our "CULTURE"  we play soccer because is the cheapest sport in our countries just need a ball and goals.

middle school will be the time to start with soccer just like we with football, basketball and volleyball.

There are a number of Hispanic females that would love to do what the boys do in futbol.  However, parents, especially mothers at home, often want them home helping out.  I've seen these girls that want to play sports, but are not allowed to.  Not all, but it is significant.

ARSOCCER2017

Quote from: 4real on May 15, 2017, 11:02:40 am
There are a number of Hispanic females that would love to do what the boys do in futbol.  However, parents, especially mothers at home, often want them home helping out.  I've seen these girls that want to play sports, but are not allowed to.  Not all, but it is significant.

I would also back this up. CenterPoint is a 2nd year program and completely starting from scratch. The girls have never been worked with before the last two years. They started the boys program about 5 years ago and the guy they brought in to start the program basically did not want to work with the girls. There is also no club or rec team in the town. Closest is Hot Springs or Arkadelphia and parents aren't going to drive them to these places to play soccer in the fall. The girls at Centerpoint start running and minor drill work after football season but nothing major from may to December.

RazorDad

Just to add some facts to the discussion, here are the numbers for HS boys who played club (classic) soccer this past fall:

7A Boys

LR Catholic       33
Rogers Heritage   15
Rogers            13
Bentonville       12
Conway            10
FS Northside      10
LR Central        10
Springdale        10
Har-Ber            6
FS Southside       5
Bryant             4
Van Buren          2

6A Boys

Russellville      11
Benton             2
Siloam Springs     2
Greenwood          1
LR Hall            1
Jonesboro          1

5A Boys

Maumelle           9
LR Christian       4
Pulaski Academy    4
Valley View        3
Nettleton          3
Lakeside           2

4A Boys

Dardanelle         5
CAC                4
Heber Springs      2
Green Forrest      1
Lighthouse         1
Prairie Grove      1

Ladyfan

May 15, 2017, 02:15:23 pm #27 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:18:38 pm by Ladyfan
Where did you get this info? Is this 10-12 only or 9th also? CAC's number doesn't seem to include 2 9th graders who played varsity and played club in the fall.

RazorDad

The numbers are as good as the managers who entered and maintained the information. As with anything human-based, there is a margin of error. These numbers also don't take into account late regustrations, transfers, etc.

Badger

Quote from: RazorDad on May 15, 2017, 02:09:47 pm
Just to add some facts to the discussion, here are the numbers for HS boys who played club (classic) soccer this past fall:

7A Boys

LR Catholic       33
Rogers Heritage   15
Rogers            13
Bentonville       12
Conway            10
FS Northside      10
LR Central        10
Springdale        10
Har-Ber            6
FS Southside       5
Bryant             4
Van Buren          2

6A Boys

Russellville      11
Benton             2
Siloam Springs     2
Greenwood          1
LR Hall            1
Jonesboro          1

5A Boys

Maumelle           9
LR Christian       4
Pulaski Academy    4
Valley View        3
Nettleton          3
Lakeside           2

4A Boys

Dardanelle         5
CAC                4
Heber Springs      2
Green Forrest      1
Lighthouse         1
Prairie Grove      1

To quote POTUS, "Wrong."

Ladyfan

Quote from: RazorDad on May 15, 2017, 02:23:26 pm
The numbers are as good as the managers who entered and maintained the information. As with anything human-based, there is a margin of error. These numbers also don't take into account late regustrations, transfers, etc.

Of course, and that tells me exactly where you got this information. 

Buck183

JFSM

May 15, 2017, 06:30:05 pm #32 Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:33:48 pm by JFSM
Quote from: RazorDad on May 15, 2017, 02:09:47 pm

7A Boys

LR Catholic       33
Rogers Heritage   15
Rogers            13
Bentonville       12
Conway            10
FS Northside      10
LR Central        10
Springdale        10
Har-Ber            6
FS Southside       5
Bryant             4
Van Buren          2

6A Boys

Russellville      11
Benton             2
Siloam Springs     2
Greenwood          1
LR Hall            1
Jonesboro          1

5A Boys

Maumelle           9
LR Christian       4
Pulaski Academy    4
Valley View        3
Nettleton          3
Lakeside           2

4A Boys

Dardanelle         5
CAC                4
Heber Springs      2
Green Forrest      1
Lighthouse         1
Prairie Grove      1
where did you get this info ? Lighthouse actually had 5 that played classic and heber had 3/4

Go Postal

Are those numbers just for Arkansas clubs? Some athletes play club in surrounding States.

Sir Alex

Quote from: Go Postal on May 16, 2017, 12:16:52 pm
Are those numbers just for Arkansas clubs? Some athletes play club in surrounding States.

Those numbers are not correct.  They are leaving out this kids that play in the men's leagues which is probably the best preparation they could have to play at the next level. May be tough to get a college coach out there but if I were one, that would be one of the first places I would look.  Just my opinion.

SportsDad

I have not seen all the boys finalist teams play, but I am familiar with Warren, Dardanelle, DeQueen, and Hot Springs.... all of these teams are largely made up of Hispanic players... interesting that these teams are the ones in the Finals of 4A and 5A...

It would be interesting to know about the 6A and 7A Finalists and the racial make up of those teams...

I personally don't care if the kids are Martians ... if they can play soccer, they can play soccer. But, since this thread is simply a discussion, it makes for interesting reading.

Visable

CAC did not get exposed.  Trust me, CAC complained all year about our schedule.  They changed it this year, CAC played all the weaker teams in the regular season. CAC hated it.
CAC begged to play some real teams.   CAC had PA schedule, but rescheduling make up games for both teams did not allow this game to happen.  Catholic was scheduled.   CAC has played the Catholic Varsity team every year, tied them last year.  Actually out played them and should have won.  When the schedule got closer to the Catholic game, CAC realized it was the JV which ticked off most of the team.   The JV gave us all we wanted, because they know how to actually play soccer.  CAC beat them, but it gave them a game that was sorely needed.

The Warren game was a fluke.   Two (Bad Luck Goals occurred within about 3 minutes of each other).   One was a high kicked ball that was not even a shot.  Took a crazy bounce and went over the goalie's head.   The other one happened when CAC went to clear the ball and it hit the back of a player, bounced back 20 yards into the net.   Other than that, it was a one goal game.

Play that game again and probably a different outcome.  At least a one goal game.  CAC pounded and pounded the shots at Warren, especially in the 2nd half.   Warren had a great goalie.  But after getting the lead, they packed the box.   I have two photo's that I took that shows all 11 Warren players in front of the goal.  Crazy.

Credit to Warren.  But I'm a little tired of some of the Opinions about this being a one sided game or that CAC was Outclassed as one crazy poster put it.   It was simply a game on a horrible field that had some of those crazy bounces that can occur on a bad field.  These crazy bounces easily could have went CAC's direction.

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: Visable on May 16, 2017, 05:56:29 pm
CAC did not get exposed.  Trust me, CAC complained all year about our schedule.  They changed it this year, CAC played all the weaker teams in the regular season. CAC hated it.
CAC begged to play some real teams.   CAC had PA schedule, but rescheduling make up games for both teams did not allow this game to happen.  Catholic was scheduled.   CAC has played the Catholic Varsity team every year, tied them last year.  Actually out played them and should have won.  When the schedule got closer to the Catholic game, CAC realized it was the JV which ticked off most of the team.   The JV gave us all we wanted, because they know how to actually play soccer.  CAC beat them, but it gave them a game that was sorely needed.

The Warren game was a fluke.   Two (Bad Luck Goals occurred within about 3 minutes of each other).   One was a high kicked ball that was not even a shot.  Took a crazy bounce and went over the goalie's head.   The other one happened when CAC went to clear the ball and it hit the back of a player, bounced back 20 yards into the net.   Other than that, it was a one goal game.

Play that game again and probably a different outcome.  At least a one goal game.  CAC pounded and pounded the shots at Warren, especially in the 2nd half.   Warren had a great goalie.  But after getting the lead, they packed the box.   I have two photo's that I took that shows all 11 Warren players in front of the goal.  Crazy.

Credit to Warren.  But I'm a little tired of some of the Opinions about this being a one sided game or that CAC was Outclassed as one crazy poster put it.   It was simply a game on a horrible field that had some of those crazy bounces that can occur on a bad field.  These crazy bounces easily could have went CAC's direction.

I don't mean this to be rude but sometimes you have to take a loss and move on. Both teams played on the same field so no excuses there. If mistakes were made by CAC and Warren didn't make mistakes then that sounds good on their part. Also, when up 4-0 and preserving a 4-0 blowout lead there's no need to push up the field and try to score more, so dropping back and defending makes sense doesn't it? That's basic.

Badger

May 16, 2017, 06:09:48 pm #38 Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:11:34 pm by Badger
Quote from: Visable on May 16, 2017, 05:56:29 pm

So, you were the guy in the stands smoking crack?  I recall that was the game CAC played an 8-2-0 formation or as it is colloquially referred, "Park the Bus".

Visable

Quote from: ArkansasSportsFan on May 16, 2017, 06:05:22 pm

I don't mean this to be rude but sometimes you have to take a loss and move on. Both teams played on the same field so no excuses there. If mistakes were made by CAC and Warren didn't make mistakes then that sounds good on their part. Also, when up 4-0 and preserving a 4-0 blowout lead there's no need to push up the field and try to score more, so dropping back and defending makes sense doesn't it? That's basic.

Been watching this sport forever.  I was there.  No excuses were made.   I gave Warren credit.
I said that I'm simply tired of too many people posting uneducated opinions about a Game that wasn't true.
Most of the people that are reporting scores, etc.  Need to report facts,  not unbiased opinions.
One particular poster was reporting untrue Opinions, not Facts.

I'm moving on from this game.  But I will respond if there are untrue Facts.

I will be at U.S. Regionals again next month in North Carolina, where real soccer occurs.
This state is so far behind on Soccer, it's sad.   Arkansas teams really struggle at Regional competitions.
It's just really hard to compete against States that have so many quality programs, such as Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and so on.

The point on stacking the box was this.  "That does not make the team with the lead a superior team"
Give a little credit for a group of Seniors that never quit attacking

Visable

Quote from: Badger on May 16, 2017, 06:09:48 pm
So, you were the guy in the stands smoking crack?  I recall that was the game CAC played an 8-2-0 formation or as it is colloquially referred, "Park the Bus".

Stick to the topic.  You are out of line and I have no Idea what you are talking about.

ClarksvilleFutbol

May 16, 2017, 06:58:50 pm #41 Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:40:33 am by ClarksvilleFutbol

Badger

Quote from: Visable on May 16, 2017, 06:21:13 pm
Stick to the topic.  You are out of line and I have no Idea what you are talking about.

Clearly.

MDXPHD

What do you mean the shot that floated over the keepers head took a crazy bounce? The player hit it from 40 yards out, it floated over the keepers head, and didn't bounce. The other goal that you're referring to happened when CAC keeper tried to clear it by coming out of the box, but the  Warren player was too quick and pressured the ball. The keeper kicked it but was  too late, as the Warren player had already closed in and the ball bounced off the Warren  player and into the net. You can say what you want, but Warren jumped on them early and CAC was never in the game. Had some good tries in the second half, but didn't find the net. Im not spouting a biased opinion. CAC wasn't close to the level of Warren on Friday. The score shows that.

FYI, this is a message board. Not everyone who criticizes cac or says how much better Warren was is "out of line."

MDXPHD

Honestly, you're probably lucky Warren changed to defensive mode and tried to just preserve the victory. You certainly weren't slowing down their offense.

Badger

Quote from: Visable on May 16, 2017, 06:18:52 pm
Been watching this sport forever.  I was there.  No excuses were made.   I gave Warren credit.
I said that I'm simply tired of too many people posting uneducated opinions about a Game that wasn't true.
Most of the people that are reporting scores, etc.  Need to report facts,  not unbiased opinions.
One particular poster was reporting untrue Opinions, not Facts.

I'm moving on from this game.  But I will respond if there are untrue Facts.

I will be at U.S. Regionals again next month in North Carolina, where real soccer occurs.
This state is so far behind on Soccer, it's sad.   Arkansas teams really struggle at Regional competitions.
It's just really hard to compete against States that have so many quality programs, such as Texas, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and so on.

The point on stacking the box was this.  "That does not make the team with the lead a superior team"
Give a little credit for a group of Seniors that never quit attacking

I may be wrong, but unless you for sure are planning to go to Regionals as a spectator, you're getting ahead of yourself.  The State Cup has yet to be played for U19.  I believe a couple NWA teams might put up a good fight.

Ladyfan

Quote from: JFSM on May 15, 2017, 06:30:05 pm
where did you get this info ? Lighthouse actually had 5 that played classic and heber had 3/4

This data was likely pulled from ASSA registration info by someone who has access to it. When gotsoccer accounts are created for the players as part of their state registration, their school can be entered. Of course, as previously mentioned, it is only as good as the info provided. If a parent/player/manager chooses not to put the school info in or update old info, you have inconsistencies between what we may know to be accurate and what this data shows.

JFSM

Quote from: Sir Alex on May 16, 2017, 05:38:10 pm
Those numbers are not correct.  They are leaving out this kids that play in the men's leagues which is probably the best preparation they could have to play at the next level. May be tough to get a college coach out there but if I were one, that would be one of the first places I would look.  Just my opinion.
yes many great high school players play in men's league

Lets Go 5

Quote from: Badger on May 16, 2017, 09:40:47 pm
I may be wrong, but unless you for sure are planning to go to Regionals as a spectator, you're getting ahead of yourself.  The State Cup has yet to be played for U19.  I believe a couple NWA teams might put up a good fight.

My daughter and her team are one of the teams headed to Regionals. He is correct and they are next month?
Practice starts Monday after the state championships.

WillC

Quote from: SportsDad on May 16, 2017, 05:52:01 pm
I have not seen all the boys finalist teams play, but I am familiar with Warren, Dardanelle, DeQueen, and Hot Springs.... all of these teams are largely made up of Hispanic players... interesting that these teams are the ones in the Finals of 4A and 5A...

It would be interesting to know about the 6A and 7A Finalists and the racial make up of those teams...

I personally don't care if the kids are Martians ... if they can play soccer, they can play soccer. But, since this thread is simply a discussion, it makes for interesting reading.

In thw 7A game, I believe 21 out of 22 starters are Hispanic (Har-Ber's left back is white). 6A, Siloam has a majority-Hispanic team, and I have not seen Mountain Home. Buy and large, most of the 7A West is Hispanic.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas