• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hughes... A class act

Started by 24, March 04, 2007, 07:16:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Really a great group of kids to watch... No complaining about officials, no mouthing, no disrespect for other players or teams...

HUGHES it was great furn to watch you all the last two weeks...

CONGRATS!!!

herws

We enjoyed playing up there as much as you enjoyed watching. we wanna play 5 games up there next year in the regular season we like it so much :).

Googlymoogly

I guess I'll be the first to say it

WE TOLD YOU SO!

A couple of weeks ago several were trying to make excuses UP FRONT about how unfairly they were going to be treated in Boone County. Ask anyone from Hughes how great they were treated and how hospitable everyone was here. told you so! ;D

herws

I was THE one who said those things and I am still glad I did. I am not saying your efforts were not genuine because nobody can argue they were not, but the issues of past state tourney's and teams did not come into play at all and I think some realized that it is about time to end all of that talk and it happened.

Hughes was taken care of by other teams fans and pretty much lived up there for two weeks and had everything done for them except have their clothes washed and folded. Great job with everything. That was run as good or better than any state tourney we have been to and that is a lot.

Googlymoogly

yeah I know you said it, and it was WRONG

herws

And we are glad you proved it.

Googlymoogly

yeah but we TOLD you so before hand

Fat Money

Sounds like someone's afraid to admit that their preconceived notions of this area and how teams from outside this area would be treated at the tournaments were wrong.
C'mon herws, it's OK. You can do it! You may not admit it, but I think you might feel better on the inside after you do! ;)

Missco

I think that the tournaments the last 2 weeks were very well ran. Hats off to Bergman/Valley Springs/NAC. Herws didn't have preconceived notions that were off base. He was just afraid that the tourney's would be ran like they were the last time Harrison High School was in charge. They were not, they were ran better than most tourney's this week. KUDOS to those two class AAA schools in NCA.

Fat Money

Quote from: Missco on March 04, 2007, 10:07:24 pm
I think that the tournaments the last 2 weeks were very well ran. Hats off to Bergman/Valley Springs/NAC. Herws didn't have preconceived notions that were off base. He was just afraid that the tourney's would be ran like they were the last time Harrison High School was in charge. They were not, they were ran better than most tourney's this week. KUDOS to those two class AAA schools in NCA.
That's not what I got out of the tone of his previous posts concerning this topic, and I know there were others who felt the same way about those posts.
There was nothing wrong with the way the tournament at HHS was run. Most complainers were unhappy because their team didn't win and they took it out on HHS.

Missco

I don't agree. My school was not involved with the tourney at Harrison High. Neither was Hughes. Their were  articles and editorials about that tourney in several newspapers that were negative. It is common to read articles praising a site that hosts a tournament. That is where Herws got some of his info as did I. It is also widely known that the AAA had more complaints about that tourney than any other.

Fat Money

March 04, 2007, 11:38:20 pm #11 Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:47:09 pm by Fat Money
Quote from: Missco on March 04, 2007, 11:28:32 pm
I don't agree. My school was not involved with the tourney at Harrison High. Neither was Hughes. Their were  articles and editorials about that tourney in several newspapers that were negative. It is common to read articles praising a site that hosts a tournament. That is where Herws got some of his info as did I. It is also widely known that the AAA had more complaints about that tourney than any other.
I only know of one negative column written about that tournament. I would be interested to hear from you about any other "articles and editorials about that tourney in several newspapers that were negative."
A lot of people got a lot of misinformation about that tournament, with a lot of the misinformation coming from a column that was written by someone who WASN'T EVEN THERE, which, in essence, makes it reports based on gossip.
I communicated with that writer recently and he still seems bitter about the fact his team didn't win state that year after being hailed as the best team in the state all year. I can understand him being upset because he's probably a great supporter of that team.
Other complaints came from a coach who also brought a great team to Harrison but got beat. His quotes in the Harrison paper after the game were very positive toward the tournament, then he turned around and badmouthed the tournament out the other side of his mouth, complaining how it shouldn't have been held in Harrison, yet his district didn't bother to make a bid on the tourney to help his team out.
A bunch of people who didn't spend one minute at the tournament (or one minute working to get the real facts) formulated bad opinions based on sour grapes by a lot of people who weren't even there.
I probably can't change your opinion about that tournament, but I sure wish you'd try to find the other side of the story.
After all, it takes a mighty thin pancake to have only one side.

Missco

I wasn't referring to that  column(I assume you are talking about Crossett). The people I talked to were at that tournament. Their also were articles in several other newspapers  throughout the state about that tournament.

Fat Money

Quote from: Missco on March 04, 2007, 11:46:03 pm
I wasn't referring to that  column(I assume you are talking about Crossett). The people I talked to were at that tournament. Their also were articles in several other newspapers  throughout the state about that tournament.
Please tell me what other papers. You've got me thinking more and more about this tournament and I'd like to look through their archives.

Drama Mama ™

I had a blast this week watching all the teams give it all they got !  After our local teams went out,  I had no problemo adopting Hughes as "my team" to root for.  I think a lot of us felt that way  ;) We cheered you on the whole game on Saturday !  There were some girls from Marmaduke behind us,  cheering you on also.    Classy coach .....  great bunch of boys ....... and I loved it in the final game when one of the kids on the bench held up a sign that said "thank you".   +1 to Hughes for representing your school in such a positive way.  Not only were they a class act on the court , but off as well.  Congrats to you all and good luck at Hot Springs.  I have heard that several people from NCA will be making that trip to HS to root for your boys . . . . . .  Now if that's not earning some respect,  I don't know what else is  ;)

herws

March 05, 2007, 09:00:07 am #15 Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:02:02 am by herws
With all this talk of runnign a bad or good tourney, it was proven on BOTH sides of the fence that one can be run well with no negatives. THERE WILL BE AN EDITORIAL THROUGHOUT PAPERS IN THIS STATE BUT IT WILL BE ONE OF PRAISE, NOT DISAPPOINTMENT.

You guys talked the talk on here to me and said you would walk the walk, and I said I would call it accordingly, and I did, I received calls from coaches and administrators and fans from our school who just raved about being welcomed and our sign at the end of the game was a small token of appreciation that we have for you guys and we appreciate it you "adopting" us.

And fridaynight fan, all of this info I have is second hand. Does that offend you that I wrote it? I am sorry I lived 9 hours from Harrison, I know I let you down by not showing up. Am I wrong about anything I posted? I don't think so. I don't care if my info is 2nd or 9th hand, if I type it, you better know its on time.

Bleachermom

Quote from: Drama Mama on March 05, 2007, 08:46:51 am
I had a blast this week watching all the teams give it all they got !  After our local teams went out,  I had no problemo adopting Hughes as "my team" to root for.  I think a lot of us felt that way  ;) We cheered you on the whole game on Saturday !  There were some girls from Marmaduke behind us,  cheering you on also.    Classy coach .....  great bunch of boys ....... and I loved it in the final game when one of the kids on the bench held up a sign that said "thank you".   +1 to Hughes for representing your school in such a positive way.  Not only were they a class act on the court , but off as well.  Congrats to you all and good luck at Hot Springs.  I have heard that several people from NCA will be making that trip to HS to root for your boys . . . . . .  Now if that's not earning some respect,  I don't know what else is  ;)

Good for you and your family/friends, Drama Mama. When HA played Hughes in the first round, it made me sad that so few Hughes fans were able to make the trip to Harrison. That team deserves to be supported and supported loudly. I spoke with Michael Darnell after the game to tell him that he played an absolutely awesome game against HA. He is a very modest, gracious young man. We had to leave after our girls were eliminated on Wednesday, but we would have loved to stay to watch more basketball and cheer for Hughes and for Riverview (which is in Conference 2 with HA). We hope to be in Hot Springs to see them play. We may have to be neutral there. Typically, we cheer first for the teams in our conference once we are eliminated and then for the team that beat us....but Riverview and Hughes coaches and players both have our greatest respect.

herws

There will be a good Hughes following in the Summitt on Saturday night.

And I will be there to show Fridaynight Fan how good "FAN" I am.

Mark Few's pupil

I think you folks from Hughes are being too nice.  These Harrison folks get on here and start slamming you guys and it comes off to a neutral observer that it is sour grapes.  Hughes won every game and there were no issues with the tournament, besides the facility not being very good.  This thread is supposed to be about Hughes being a class act, let's talk about that.

herws

I have already had the discussion with them before the tourney.

This was their chance to prove people wrong and they did. But that also involved Hughes comign up there and playign ball and not act a fool or cry about calls and our fans, the few who were there, had to do the same. With that kind of effort on both ends, this thing was successful and hopefully the occurrences of past state tourneys up there don't have to be an issue again and the people up there won't be chastised for it.

AAAspectator

Outcoached? how the heck can a guy coach when he gets stuck 2 minutes into the 1st quarter? The refs were against Shiloh.

arkansashooper

any truth to the coach at hughes leaving to go be a ga/student assistant at harding and getting his master's? 

just heard this, and with most of the talent graduating, thought that it was interesting.   ???

Fat Money

Quote from: Mark Few's pupil on March 05, 2007, 10:31:49 am
I think you folks from Hughes are being too nice.  These Harrison folks get on here and start slamming you guys and it comes off to a neutral observer that it is sour grapes.  Hughes won every game and there were no issues with the tournament, besides the facility not being very good.  This thread is supposed to be about Hughes being a class act, let's talk about that.
I think it's admirable that the posters from Hughes are opting to compliment everything but themselves, MFP. That says a lot about what kind of people they are. Sounds to me like you want to do a little more axe grinding on the subject.
I don't know about the facility not being very good - both the gym at Bergman and Northark were better facilities than the tournament I was at in Paragould.

herws

Quote from: fridaynightfan on March 05, 2007, 11:45:30 am
Quote from: herws on March 05, 2007, 09:00:07 am
And fridaynight fan, all of this info I have is second hand. Does that offend you that I wrote it? I am sorry I lived 9 hours from Harrison, I know I let you down by not showing up. Am I wrong about anything I posted? I don't think so. I don't care if my info is 2nd or 9th hand, if I type it, you better know its on time.

You spread false negative information about this area before any of the tournaments ever began. You were wrong.

You stated for us to look you up at the regional in Bergman. You weren't at the Regional.

You stated several negative things about Shiloh including that they were outcoached.  You weren't at the State Tournament but at least you admitted you were posting from 2nd hand information, basically someone Else's opinion. Have you actually watched Hughes play a basketball game this year?
Nobody spread false anything. People who were there in the past and I know personally from Crossett, Monticello, and Osceola all had similar stories. BUT LIKE YOU SAID, come up there and find out, and we did. We liked it. get over yourself. I have done nothing but praise your corner.

I live nine hours away from harrison. I have my own business, I am sorry my schedule did not allow me to come uo there. Didn't know you wanted my autograph.

I have seen Hughes a couple of times, I live 5 hours from there. But as the son of a former Blue Devil coach, I know more about Hughes basketball than anybody you talk too except my father. being a coaches son, I know coaches all over this state, I am friends with several. Being a former college basketball player, i am friends now with college coaches and my own and friedns with players I played against that are now in the profession. I know basketball and enjoy talking about it. I am also on here to have fun and throw playful jabs but I will give my opinion in a second, and it will be straight forward, Like it or not, that is also my personality. DON'T YOU EVER QUESTION ME ABOUT BEING A HUGHES FAN. I grew up in the house of the man who IS HUGHES basketball.

If you want to meet me that bad, I will be in Hot Springs, You can't miss me. 6'7 250 ilbs and dimples. I will be there to have a good time and I encourage you to come meet me.

herws

And like I said, my second hand is better than most people's first. Rarely am I wrong.

Yep same descrip, tried to lose a few pounds to disguise myself so you wouldn't hurt me when I showed in bergman, but my diet failed, that's the real reason I didn't show up.  Hey just ask anybody from Hughes where the best white boy to ever play there is and they will lead you to my direction. It will be good to meet you Mr. Vining, I really respect your father.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: fridaynightfan on March 05, 2007, 04:29:18 pm
"Seen Hughes a couple of times", so that just further verifies you as a strict carrier of 2nd hand information. No one questioned you as to whether or not you are a Hughes fan but you spend a lot of time talking as if you were there at the games 1st hand and have more knowledge than the people who were actually there.

Considering who his sources are, I'd say he probably gets more information than many who are actually in attendance.

herws

March 05, 2007, 04:48:20 pm #26 Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:52:34 pm by herws
AND, I live 5 hours away, and I am not wrong very many times, if at all on what I am talking about. Hey Vining, do you want me to pick out my outfit so you will know what I am wearing?

herws

Still not wrong and still could give a rat's a--.

Missco

Dang, I can' believe anybody is trying to say Herws doesn't know what goes on at games involving Hughes. Heck, he knows what goes on at most games. He is going to call things like they are.

herws

No, Missco, all my Hughes info is "BIASED" and I am not a good fan because I can't get a plane from Hattiesburg to Harrison. And my info is second hand, even though it comes from coaches on both the high school and college  level. But again I ask my question, is anything I say wrong?.................crickets.

playa_11

March 05, 2007, 09:44:36 pm #30 Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:58:12 pm by playa_11

herws

Quote from: playa_11 on March 05, 2007, 09:44:36 pm
http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=61178.150
Ring a bell Hewrs? lol.
O every bit of it. Meant every word too, I have been trying to be humble to not jinx my boys and I will continue to be that way until after the game.

Chief_Osceola™

In Lamar's defense, even though they lost early, they are very well coached.  Their coach was my junior high coach.  They could be a regular in the state tournament in the future, much like their girls used to be.

herws

Man those girls teams were freakin awesome. I mean as far back as the 80's.

Chief_Osceola™

Herws, does your dad know their former coach - Coach Ramsey?  He was a good one.

billball

I need to go so I can see your dimples, so you're 6'7? Best of luck blue devils.

herws

Quote from: Nolefan_11 on March 05, 2007, 09:54:35 pm
Herws, does your dad know their former coach - Coach Ramsey?  He was a good one.
Yes he does and yes he was one of the best.

Missco

Coach Ramsey had a lot of good teams during the 80.'sand 90.'s. Lamar played in a lot of state tourney's Gosnell played in and I was always impressed with the Lamar girls.

herws

Hughes played in some as well. It was always, Lamar, Star City, and Atkins who had good girls teams back in the day.

Mark Few's pupil

Quote from: Fat Money on March 05, 2007, 01:57:11 pm
I think it's admirable that the posters from Hughes are opting to compliment everything but themselves, MFP. That says a lot about what kind of people they are. Sounds to me like you want to do a little more axe grinding on the subject.
I don't know about the facility not being very good - both the gym at Bergman and Northark were better facilities than the tournament I was at in Paragould.

I don't have any axe grinding to do, just calling it like it is.

You are exactly right about the facilities.  I heard that GCT and BK weren't even close to state quality.  I love Danville gym (2A) but it just isn't big enough and it is miserable for fans.  Clinton (1A) was the only gym up to snuff and it hosted the smallest classification.  I think the AAA needs to up its requirements.  I have real worries about the Hot Springs facility.  I just don't think it is big enough and I would hate for people to drive for 3+ hours and not even be able to get in.

Bleachermom

Quote from: Mark Few's pupil on March 06, 2007, 07:59:30 am

You are exactly right about the facilities.  I heard that GCT and BK weren't even close to state quality. 

Bald Knob was asked to host the tournament approximately one week before it started because of the tornado damage in Dumas which had been selected for the tournament. I've not seen Bald Knob's gym, but it is brand new. Was the gym too small, or were there organizational problems due to the last minute change of site?

Missco

If the AAA increased the seating requirement number then they would have trouble finding hosts. Unless they could talk a few colleges into hosting the tourney's. Most states use college facilities. However, most state activities association's doesn't take all the money thus the colleges don't mind hosting the events. The easiest solution would be go to a regional/sectional type format. Then bring the final four of each class to Alltel. This would solve all problems. The AAA also needs to cut the number of basketball classes to 4.

Fat Money

Quote from: Missco on March 06, 2007, 11:33:10 am
Most states use college facilities. However, most state activities association's doesn't take all the money thus the colleges don't mind hosting the events.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think that's the root of the entire problem.

bluedevilsboy06

These are young men that have been playing with heart courage and the will of a champion these are the strengths that hughes have

Missco

March 06, 2007, 12:32:20 pm #44 Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:34:31 pm by Missco
I have several ideas written down that would enhance the way the state basketball tourney's are done. Regional and sectional games played at a neutral site close to the school's playing does wonders in Missouri. The final four in each class is played at the U of M. It's a neat set-up. TN also has a better set-up the final 8 in each of the 3 classes are sent to MTSU for the championship. The girls tourney is one week and the boys the next. It is in the central part of the state. TN also plays regional and sectional games. Thus teams are never more than 1.5 hour's from home except for the finals where the fartherest school is only about 3 hours away. Mississippi also does it this way with the state tournament being held in Jackson for all classes both boys and girls. Arkansas used to do this where all the games were at Barton. This was in the 60.'s and 70.'s. They could do the same thing now at Altel. They could do the girls one week at the Summit and the boys at Altel.

Missco

Part of the problem is for basketball Arkansas only needs 4 classifications. Maybe 5 at the most but that would be stretching it. The AAA has to realize that football needs one set up and all other sports another.

dukebbfan

Quote from: Mark Few's pupil on March 06, 2007, 07:59:30 am
Quote from: Fat Money on March 05, 2007, 01:57:11 pm

I don't have any axe grinding to do, just calling it like it is.

You are exactly right about the facilities.  I heard that GCT and BK weren't even close to state quality.  I love Danville gym (2A) but it just isn't big enough and it is miserable for fans.  Clinton (1A) was the only gym up to snuff and it hosted the smallest classification.  I think the AAA needs to up its requirements.  I have real worries about the Hot Springs facility.  I just don't think it is big enough and I would hate for people to drive for 3+ hours and not even be able to get in.

I take offense at your statement about "Harrison people getting on here and slamming everyone".  I'm a Harrison person and frankly this whole discussion was started by the people from Hughes about having to come to North Arkansas to play because of the "race card."

The facilities at NAC were just fine.  The facility held quite enough people, often times during the 28 games played, there were many empty seats.  Apparently, not all of the teams had their "fan base"!!

So as for getting on the Harrison folks, you need to go back and read the previous posts as to how this whole thing got started!!!  Us Harrison folks were might nice, just ask HERWS!!

dukebbfan

Quote from: Fat Money on March 06, 2007, 12:20:01 pm
Quote from: Missco on March 06, 2007, 11:33:10 am
Most states use college facilities. However, most state activities association's doesn't take all the money thus the colleges don't mind hosting the events.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think that's the root of the entire problem.

Just for the record, could someone please tell me what the AAA uses all of their money collected for??  They pay an executive director, I'm sure he's paid quite well.  Besides that, do board members receive compensation??  Of all the gate receipts for regional and state tournaments, what does that money go to pay for at the AAA?  How would a person find out how much money was collected during regional and state tournaments??  Just be curious to see a budget for this agency...I think the good people of AR would be surprised!!

Missco

Basically the AAA lists how much money is taken in at the gate of each regional,state, and state tournament final. They also list how much money is taken in at each football play-off game. All of this money minus official pay and milage goes to the AAA. I have no idea where all the money goes. I have heard that the money they have in the bank in enormous. They do have several salaries that they have on staff. It is listed in their bulletin all of the staff members. They pay 6 or 7 of these people pretty well. That is where a lot of the money goes. I am sure the board members receive millage and other perks. It is the fans that get more upset with the AAA than the schools.

Fat Money

I'm assuming at state tournaments the officials are paid out of gate receipts. Is that right?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas