• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Hurricane Classic Dates Jan 2-4

Started by ricepig, December 07, 2013, 03:00:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

The Hurricane Classic has been rescheduled for Jan 2-4.

ricepig

Thursday's games:

Brookland/Clarksville @ 5:00
Cedar Ridge/GET @ 6:30
Jonesboro/Osceola @ 8:00

MDXPHD

Do you have a bracket? Or could you tell me the times for Friday and Saturday games?

tacomeat

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 02, 2014, 07:51:25 am
Do you have a bracket? Or could you tell me the times for Friday and Saturday games?

It's on the Jonesboro public schools website.

ricepig

Here is Friday's schedule

L2 vs L1 @ 5:00
W1 vs L3 @ 6:30
W3 vs W2 @ 8:00

Sat
L4 vs L6 @ 2:00
L5 vs W4 @ 3:30
W6 vs W5 @ 5:000

NEA Razorback olfan

ricepig

Earlier results from today, Clarksville over Brookland, Cedar Ridge over GET, and JHS leads Osceola at half, 34-22.

ricepig

bdubyab60

What day would Jonesboro play CR. To me that seems to be the best matchup. EPC is in hot Springs playing Im looking for something a little closer.

ricepig

January 02, 2014, 09:33:30 pm #9 Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:57:27 pm by ricepig
Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 02, 2014, 09:29:00 pm
What day would Jonesboro play CR. To me that seems to be the best matchup. EPC is in hot Springs playing Im looking for something a little closer.

Tomorrow night at 8, JHS defeated Osceola 65-46.

bdubyab60

Thanks Ricepig ill probably check that one out.

woods

ricepig

bdubyab60

Cedar Ridge is a darn good ball team. Jonesboro has their hands full. I don't think either team wins by more than 10 unless it turns in to a free throw fest.

Jonesboro will probably be the best all around team CR plays this year.

tacomeat

Not a huge field for this tourney, but very strong. I'd think the winner should be in the overall Top 5 for sure.
Also, had to work late; any Radio??

ricepig

Quote from: tacomeat on January 03, 2014, 07:48:06 pm
Not a huge field for this tourney, but very strong. I'd think the winner should be in the overall Top 5 for sure.

95.9 in Jonesboro should have the JHS games.

tacomeat

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2014, 08:01:17 pm
Quote from: tacomeat on January 03, 2014, 07:48:06 pm

95.9 in Jonesboro should have the JHS games.

Thanks a ton. Listening now!!

neds

ricepig

JHS leads Cedar Ridge 38-23 at the half.

ricepig

neds

Pressure or speed of the game or both?

ricepig

January 03, 2014, 09:36:44 pm #21 Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:51:13 pm by ricepig
JHS wins 62-29, just too good.  Finals tomorrow against Clarksville at 5.

Clarksville defeated Osceola 76-60 tonight.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 03, 2014, 12:02:43 am
Cedar Ridge is a darn good ball team. Jonesboro has their hands full. I don't think either team wins by more than 10 unless it turns in to a free throw fest.

Oops, this didn't turn out as you thought. CR is a good 2A school, but ran in to too much talent tonight.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2014, 09:49:43 pm

Oops, this didn't turn out as you thought. CR is a good 2A school, but ran in to too much talent tonight.
thats the way bball goes. Thought CR would put up a fight. Glad I had other things come up and didn't get to see. Jonesboro seems to be the real deal.

I don't know much about the 6A but seems to be Jtown might be the favorite.

Bearcatparent

JHS is deffinately more talented as a team but Cedar Ridge got no love from the refs for sure. Call touch fouls close to the end on Cedar Ridge and let the JHS hack and reach pretty much all night. Not that it would have changed the outcome of the game by any means but you would like to see the refs be more consistant than that. Maybe Mr. Williams was there to watch. I think Cedar Ridge has a sure enough shot at the 2A no question they are the team to beat at this time.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 03, 2014, 09:58:32 pm

thats the way bball goes. Thought CR would pNp a fight. Glad I had other things come up and didn't get to see. Jonesboro seems to be the real deal.

Should be the favorite with Parkview, but losing their big man 3 weeks ago really hurt the Canes. And I agree anyone can get hot and blow you out. JHS played NLR in the finals of the Rumble, got run out of the gym in the first half as NLR hit 8/8 threes and was 20/26 all in the first half.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2014, 10:07:25 pm

thats the way bball goes. Thought CR would pNp a fight. Glad I had other things come up and didn't get to see. Jonesboro seems to be the real deal.

Should be the favorite with Parkview, but losing their big man 3 weeks ago really hurt the Canes. And I agree anyone can get hot and blow you out. JHS played NLR in the finals of the Rumble, got run out of the gym in the first half as NLR hit 8/8 threes and was 20/26 all in the first half.
NLR is like an NBA team this year aren't they. And that is lighting it up from behind the arc. Only defense is to keep pace or tackle the shooters lol

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 03, 2014, 10:19:39 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2014, 10:07:25 pm

NLR is like an NBA team this year aren't they. And that is lighting it up from behind the arc. Only defense is to keep pace or tackle the shooters lol

Yep, lots of talent, KJ Hill didn't even play, was still playing football. However, Episcopal Collegiate pushed them to the end in a game, and PV beat them by 10ish the next night in a tournament.

bdubyab60

When you got all that talent you got to get em to play together. If not things just don't seem to work out if you can't.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 03, 2014, 10:39:15 pm
When you got all that talent you got to get em to play together. If not things just don't seem to work out if you can't.

They do a pretty good job of it, Kevaughn Allen is probably the best of them and he never forces the action, he's going to be really good.

bdubyab60

Yeah I hear the Allen kid can play. Wished Monk would have stayed closer. Just fun to watch players like that

bdubyab60

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 04, 2014, 05:32:14 pm
Any scores from tonight

20-19 JHS at the half, ugly, ugly game. Longest shot made has been some free throws, haha.

Brookland hit a buzzer beater to defeat Cedar Ridge, 49-47.

ricepig

bdubyab60

Weird how when 2 good teams get together the games sometimes are ugly.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2014, 05:44:05 pm
Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 04, 2014, 05:32:14 pm
Any scores from tonight

20-19 JHS at the half, ugly, ugly game. Longest shot made has been some free throws, haha.

Brookland hit a buzzer beater to defeat Cedar Ridge, 49-47.
Did Reaves play tonight

bdog32

Reaves did not play. Parents said no breaks just bad sprain. Should be good to go soon. Played a very good brookland team tough without him

ricepig

Jonesboro won 47-44. I don't think JHS made a 3, if so, only one. They had to be 0/15 or so, Clarksville made about 2/15 or so. Whatever it was, it was an ugly game to watch, there were missed put backs, short 5 footers, even a layup.

Jonesboro will have to get better in the paint, or shoot 50% from outside to compete with the good teams in the conference. They may have hit the wall a little as this was game 8 in the last 15 days.

FD4

Must have been a different crew calling the game than the JHS CR game. Worst case of home gym no calls I have ever seen. If that one ref had one good eye he would be a Cyclops.

ricepig

Quote from: FD4 on January 04, 2014, 09:12:20 pm
Must have been a different crew calling the game than the JHS CR game. Worst case of home gym no calls I have ever seen. If that one ref had one good eye he would be a Cyclops.

Your team lose?

Bearcatparent

Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2014, 09:26:22 pm

Your team lose?
His team would not have had to lose to feel that way. If your team played you would feel that way. I would say the officiating was questionable at best for most of the weekend. Some of the NO CALLS in the JHS Cedar Ridge game where called in others and some of the calls in the Clarksville JHS game were not called in others. There were calls in every game that made me shake my head and I watched all the games all three days. It would just be nice for the officials to atleast be consistant from qtr to qtr or atleast game to game. Guess the players will just have to learn to adapt to the officiating. Seems like this new Hand Check rule is throwing off alot of the officials. Oh well, it has been this way for several years here in NEA so I doubt it changes. Good luck on the rest of the year to all the teams and coaches that participated.

ricepig

Quote from: Bearcatparent on January 04, 2014, 11:44:44 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 04, 2014, 09:26:22 pm

Your team lose?
His team would not have had to lose to feel that way. If your team played you would feel that way. I would say the officiating was questionable at best for most of the weekend. Some of the NO CALLS in the JHS Cedar Ridge game where called in others and some of the calls in the Clarksville JHS game were not called in others. There were calls in every game that made me shake my head and I watched all the games all three days. It would just be nice for the officials to atleast be consistant from qtr to qtr or atleast game to game. Guess the players will just have to learn to adapt to the officiating. Seems like this new Hand Check rule is throwing off alot of the officials. Oh well, it has been this way for several years here in NEA so I doubt it changes. Good luck on the rest of the year to all the teams and coaches that participated.

The officiating was weak on both ends, and I agree, very inconsistent. Clarksville had 3 fouls early in the 4th qt and was having to foul to put Jonesboro in the 1 and 1. I agree, these guys were NEA officials, we usually get different crews from our conference. They are used 10 athletes on the court at once.

Bearcatparent

I have seen some of these same officials at 5A and 6A games this year so are you saying these guys don't do any of your JHS games during the year? If not I would like to know which ones you all have so I can come and see them. The athleticism of the players should not change the way the game is called unless I missed something in the rules for that difference. The calls should be based on position of the players, timing of that position, and things like that. Maybe the athleticism changes that a little but not a lot. Brookland played in the Beebe tourney the week after Christmas and had officials that supposedly called games in Little Rock in the upper classes and D1 and they were at times just as inconsistent and bad as the guys at the Hurricane Classic. It would just be nice to see the athletes get to play and decide the games instead of the officials trying to play themselves into the game. Sometimes I think it would be best to go back to a 2 man crew so they couldn't use the my area excuse. Oh well, again good luck to all the teams and hopefully the officiating doesn't cost anyone their season.

AT

If Clarksville is only losing to Jonesboro by 3 then that makes me a little more scared for Alma's game against them Friday.

ricepig

Quote from: Bearcatparent on January 05, 2014, 02:31:47 pm
I have seen some of these same officials at 5A and 6A games this year so are you saying these guys don't do any of your JHS games during the year? If not I would like to know which ones you all have so I can come and see them. The athleticism of the players should not change the way the game is called unless I missed something in the rules for that difference. The calls should be based on position of the players, timing of that position, and things like that. Maybe the athleticism changes that a little but not a lot. Brookland played in the Beebe tourney the week after Christmas and had officials that supposedly called games in Little Rock in the upper classes and D1 and they were at times just as inconsistent and bad as the guys at the Hurricane Classic. It would just be nice to see the athletes get to play and decide the games instead of the officials trying to play themselves into the game. Sometimes I think it would be best to go back to a 2 man crew so they couldn't use the my area excuse. Oh well, again good luck to all the teams and hopefully the officiating doesn't cost anyone their season.
You haven't watched any 5A or 6A conference games, they, or at least the 6A games are made by a conference assignor(sp). Its true that the home team schedules the officials for non-conference games, usually also through an assignor. Some guys are used to the action between Jonesboro and NLR, and some are better suited for Walnut Ridge and Sloan-Hendrix.

As far as some team being affected by officiating, it happens every year.

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 05, 2014, 04:58:50 pm
If Clarksville is only losing to Jonesboro by 3 then that makes me a little more scared for Alma's game against them Friday.

Clarksville has some size and of course the Lee's. Jonesboro's guards weren't bothered by the Lee's, but with not much inside presence, Clarksville hurt them some. I bet neither team shot 25%, so it was hard to know how good either team was.

AT

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2014, 05:05:35 pm

Clarksville has some size and of course the Lee's. Jonesboro's guards weren't bothered by the Lee's, but with not much inside presence, Clarksville hurt them some. I bet neither team shot 25%, so it was hard to know how good either team was.

Alma doesn't have a lot of size either. Have one physical postman who rebounds extremely well, though. One of the Lees hurt us from behind the arc last year and the other one hurt us by driving to the middle and hitting runners.

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 05, 2014, 05:43:35 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2014, 05:05:35 pm

Alma doesn't have a lot of size either. Have one physical postman who rebounds extremely well, though. One of the Lees hurt us from behind the arc last year and the other one hurt us by driving to the middle and hitting runners.

They'll still do that, haha. JHS lost it's inside presence to a knee injury a couple of weeks ago, they pulled a 280Lb DT from the football team for help, hopefully the other guy will be back in Feb some time.

Bearcatparent

Quote from: ricepig on January 05, 2014, 05:02:10 pm
Quote from: Bearcatparent on January 05, 2014, 02:31:47 pm
You haven't watched any 5A or 6A conference games, they, or at least the 6A games are made by a conference assignor(sp). Its true that the home team schedules the officials for non-conference games, usually also through an assignor. Some guys are used to the action between Jonesboro and NLR, and some are better suited for Walnut Ridge and Sloan-Hendrix.

As far as some team being affected by officiating, it happens every year.
Agreed I haven't seen any this year (as they have not started yet) but what I meant was in years past. I believe officials for all conference games are assigned by a classification assignor. I believe Mr. Williams is the Dist 3 assignor for some classifications. Several officials call games in many different classifications. I just wish they had more evaluators and some of the inconsistency may be reduced. I know there used to be an evaluator in the Paragould area but I believe he mainly did 5A and up. I agree there are differences in the speed of the athlete in some of the games but I still say the calling should be the same for either. The response time of the official may vary but there are times when they anticipate things that don't happen and so on. And you are correct, a school is affected every year. Hopefully it will not be yours or mine.

MDXPHD

That must be the reason CR lost by 30 huh? Keep playing the smaller schools, that's where you belong and that's where you will be successful.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas