• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

End of game call

Started by sevenof400, December 05, 2017, 07:05:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

December 05, 2017, 07:05:27 pm Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:10:38 pm by sevenof400
Saw a referee make a very good call at the end of a JH game yesterday.

Home team leads by 3 with 0.8 seconds left in clock.  Visitor ball inbounding from the space between visitor bench and scorers table.

Visiting team throws ball to player in corner, outside three point line.  Ball is caught near waist and toward the sideline. 
Player catching ball turns, shoots and drains a three.
Basket is waived off by trail official (he had the clock in this play).
Literally no way the player could get this shot off in time unless it was a much quicker release.
Trail official had a good (unobstructed) view of play and clock in same line of sight.

arreferee

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 05, 2017, 07:05:27 pm
Saw a referee make a very good call at the end of a JH game yesterday.

Home team leads by 3 with 0.8 seconds left in clock.  Visitor ball inbounding from the space between visitor bench and scorers table.

Visiting team throws ball to player in corner, outside three point line.  Ball is caught near waist and toward the sideline. 
Player catching ball turns, shoots and drains a three.
Basket is waived off by trail official (he had the clock in this play).
Literally no way the player could get this shot off in time unless it was a much quicker release.
Trail official had a good (unobstructed) view of play and clock in same line of sight.

I have a feeling there were at least a few folks at that game (cheering for the visiting team) who thought this was the worst call they had ever seen.  :D

sevenof400

Quote from: arreferee on December 06, 2017, 08:40:49 am
I have a feeling there were at least a few folks at that game (cheering for the visiting team) who thought this was the worst call they had ever seen.  :D

Oh, absolutely. 

I was trying to recall - isn't there a HS rule that says something to the effect of the only acceptable shot from an inbounds play when there is 0.7 seconds would have to be a tip - or is that a college rule? 

Rulesman

Close. 0.3 seconds or less must be a tip to count. Possible to get one off with 0.7 as in your scenario, but with the catch and turn, HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

southarkdaddy

It it the officials job to judge the time on the clock vs the shot release?  I kind of thought his job was to listen for the horn and judge where the ball is. 

Rulesman

Quote from: southarkdaddy on December 06, 2017, 10:00:15 am
It it the officials job to judge the time on the clock vs the shot release?  I kind of thought his job was to listen for the horn and judge where the ball is. 
Yep. That's PART of the job when the clock displays tenths. Ever try listening for a horn in a packed gym?

southarkdaddy

Quote from: Rulesman on December 06, 2017, 11:00:15 am
Yep. That's PART of the job when the clock displays tenths. Ever try listening for a horn in a packed gym?

No but it's easy when you're watching it on tv with instant replay

arreferee

South 45

By any chance was it the Morrilton vs. Vilonia Jr. high boys game earlier this week???

sevenof400

Quote from: South 45 on December 07, 2017, 04:35:34 pm
By any chance was it the Morrilton vs. Vilonia Jr. high boys game earlier this week???

Yes, it was, South 45.

South 45

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 07, 2017, 06:32:34 pm
Yes, it was, South 45.
I wasn't there so I don't have an opinion but that call has been the talk of the town the last few days.

sevenof400

Quote from: South 45 on December 07, 2017, 07:49:18 pm
I wasn't there so I don't have an opinion but that call has been the talk of the town the last few days.

I can fully understand why Morrilton fans would be displeased (to put it mildly) with that call because it really was an excellent catch and shoot by the player.  I believe the player was Pinion and when he gets his stroke going, he can light it up from three.  He will be fun to watch over the next few years. 

South 45

I'm watching him make them fall right now.  ;D

bluegrassboy75

Question, is there a red light that is behind the backboard at that gym?

sevenof400

Unfortunately, there is not a light on the backboard at Vilonia in the main gym Bluegrassboy75.   There are clocks on both ends of the gym though - which is not a substitute for the lights but not does help a bit with seeing end of period/game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas