• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Hate to say it but I think we are the worst team in the SEC and it ain't even close. All I heard was what a genius Morris is as an offensive mind. What I saw wasn't better than what we had. Horrible play calling and no guts. Neither QB can make a decision.

Absolutely sick right now. I can handle a loss but I am sick and tired of giving dang games away.

Romeo

You gotta love the message boards after a loss, especially Hogville.

beach bum

If some of these class of 2019 and 2020 guys were smart they would decommit now and run away as fast as they can....

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on September 08, 2018, 10:23:15 pm
If some of these class of 2019 and 2020 guys were smart they would decommit now and run away as fast as they can....
If things don't get better, some will flip

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on September 08, 2018, 10:30:08 pm
If things don't get better, some will flip

My comment may anger some, but I want to see our local high school kids succeed at the next level even if that means going somewhere besides Fayetteville to do what's best for them at the next level.

bulldoghistorian

sportsguy80

September 08, 2018, 10:47:31 pm #406 Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:54:25 pm by sportsguy80
We're really about to see what this team and coaching staff are made of. How will we handle this loss? North Texas won't have any sympathy and appears a much better team than Colorado St.

bdubyab60

Look I didn't expect an instant turn around. I figured between 4-6 wins.

Some horrible and conservative play calling cost us this game. Again poor decisions by our QBs, poor throws and wrong reads. One can't even make the decision to throw the ball.

Defense played solid for 3 quarters. Then started playing soft and making mistakes.

I hate giving games away.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on September 08, 2018, 10:32:50 pm

My comment may anger some, but I want to see our local high school kids succeed at the next level even if that means going somewhere besides Fayetteville to do what's best for them at the next level.
We need the best we can get to turn this thing around

gameoflife

So here's a good explanation of why we lost.
"We were better than that team, hands down.  They know that, we know that.  But we lost the game.  We beat ourselves today. Colorado State sis not beat us.  We beat ourselves."  Cole Kelley.

"We thought we had it finished and wrapped up, but Colorado State came out and made the plays,  It's a horrible loss." T.J. Hammonds.

"We felt the longer we let them hang around and the more momentum they picked up, the more confidence they got, so I give them credit,"  Chad Morris.

So first the better team yesterday won.  Good teams don't beat themselves.  I'm pretty sure Colorado feels it earned that victory by outplaying the Hogs through 4 quarters.  Finish, is one of Morris's watch words. The 4th quarter, which is part of the game, was a disaster for Arkansas.  Thinking you had it wrapped up is what's been wrong with the Hogs for a while now.  Nobody gives you nothing, you have to earn it all in this game.  A special note, teaching moment.  At the goal line do not hit a running back in the back and drive him towards the end zone.

As for letting them hang around. Well, we had poor playing calling and the decision to get away from the running game late was a coaching error. As coaches you are supposed to steer the ship and keep the pedal to the metal, you know in the left lane kind of thing.  BTW you didn't give them credit, they earned it.

Valleysports

September 09, 2018, 07:11:43 pm #410 Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:34:23 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: beach bum on September 08, 2018, 10:23:15 pm

Other SEC Schools have full 2019 rosters filled with 4 and 5 star commits. Where are Arkansas 3 stars going to go?  The reality is that a turnaround at Arkansas will take time, a lot of time (years), and a lot of upgrade recruiting.  Arkansas hired Morris to rebuild this program, all Fans can do is wait and see.  Besides that,  it is early in the season....           

bigworm

Im disappointed by this loss, but like Marcus Elliot said...tgese are the same players that werent very good last year under a new not mastered system. Should we ever lose to colo st? No! But the same kids that let their foot off the pedal over the last couple years are the same kids playin now. Im certain the coaches take 100 percent pf the blame but at the emd of the day the players have to play.

nuttinbuthogs

It was a really bad loss and hi-lighted our lack of talent and I'm afraid a not so good coaching staff judging from some of the game decisions.  North Texas is scary.  They destroyed SMU, Morris' former team.  If we lose to NT what changes are there to win another game. Tulsa played Texas to one score, North Texas bested SMU, Vandy and Ole Miss are 2-0.  If we lose to NT we will be 1-5 when we get to Ole Miss.  I think its is very doubtful that we wind up with anything resembling a winning season without some near miracle turnaround.   

bleudog

nuttinbuthogs

So NT and Tulsa they think we will win.  I'd say NT is iffy right now.

GettingStarted

I hope the staff and team are having a good evaluation of what needs to be done to turn us around.  North Texas and Tulsa could be the only wins if we don't get on tract.  Maybe no more wins if we don't. 

gameoflife

Our new head coach has a real task ahead.  Unproven head coach at the collegiate level has to find a way to turn this around before the roof collapses.

beach bum

Quote from: gameoflife on September 10, 2018, 03:58:57 pm
Our new head coach has a real task ahead. Unproven head coach at the collegiate level has to find a way to turn this around before the roof collapses.

Oh he is proven at the collegiate level, well maybe in the wrong way but.... 14-22 at a non power 5 and that somehow landed him an SEC job.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on September 10, 2018, 04:41:41 pm

Oh he is proven at the collegiate level, well maybe in the wrong way but.... 14-22 at a non power 5 and that somehow landed him an SEC job.
Sure were some shaky decisions made and not just the 4th down.

gameoflife

Think back about how the hiring took place.  We seemed to wait a long time to get busy on an active hire, we passed up or could not land coaches with more experience and better records, we hired an AD that seemed to coordinate with the Texas coach we hired.  The guy on our staff with the most experience is the DC. 
All this doesn't mean Morris may not pan out, but it did not seem to be a well thought out hire.  A program that was in the ditch on the side of the road needed a big time name that would instantly add power to recruiting.  Honestly BB had a better track record and we fired him.

bigworm

The old heads are convinced we have to have a solid in road to texas recruits to have success. Old heads made the hire. Morris was that in road. I guess time will tell. This season is gonna be terrible. But maybe in the next 20 years we wilp compete for the west again. 😂🤣😭

cuckoobird

Morris may pan out so this isn't really directed toward him. The administration and big time boosters have made so many poor decisions in the past decade it makes me wonder about their knowledge of anything

AirWarren

September 11, 2018, 11:22:14 am #422 Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:24:52 am by AirWarren
Quote from: cuckoobird on September 11, 2018, 11:02:35 am
Morris may pan out so this isn't really directed toward him. The administration and big time boosters have made so many poor decisions in the past decade it makes me wonder about their knowledge of anything

Let's add seats to an already empty stadium.

Oh I forgot. "Demand".

gameoflife

Take a look at SMU and you see the direction we are headed.  I think Morris was 13-22 in 3 seasons.  What type talent did he bring to a Texas school.  Right now SMU doesn't look so good after losing to North Texas 23-46.  Was that with 3 years of Texas boys?   I don't care where the players come from as long as they come.  How many big name players jumped up to beg for a scholarship after we hired Coach Morris?

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on September 11, 2018, 02:49:46 pm
Take a look at SMU and you see the direction we are headed.  I think Morris was 13-22 in 3 seasons.  What type talent did he bring to a Texas school.  Right now SMU doesn't look so good after losing to North Texas 23-46.  Was that with 3 years of Texas boys?   I don't care where the players come from as long as they come.  How many big name players jumped up to beg for a scholarship after we hired Coach Morris?

No offense. But it's smu. Look what it took to get Baylor where they are. A crook.

Smu never recovered from the death penalty.

cuckoobird

SMU has a much higher admission standard as well ever since the death penalty

RZback

Think they are as high as Vandy?  I don't think we beat them if we played them last Saturday.  Wonder how SMU entrance standards compare with say Stanford?   The problem is players, you have to find a way to get the good ones. Ones better than who you play because if you look at the coaches in the SEC we ain't there at the top.

Trojanbird

Right now I would say that we are the worst team in the SEC!  Hard to say that, but Kentucky and Vandy, the former door mats have surpassed us.  We are the door mat and will be for the next couple of years!  Bad hires, arrogant attitudes, money, bonuses for loosing and the good ole boy attitude did us in!  How many of us would love to have Nutt back at this point?  We have to give Morris and his staff a fair opportunity to build his program.  At least he is getting some 4 stars committed where as before it was 2s with a 3 now and then and sometimes a 4.  If we are only winning 3 SEC games after 3 years then we should consider someone else.  However for some reason I think that this guy will turn the program around!

gameoflife

I'm hopeful but doubtful.  I just didn't understand the hire to begin with.  3 years as a head college coach and one winning year.  I don't think that says enough to hire him as the HC at a SEC school.  I look at where SMU is now and it doesn't look like they were left in a good place.  I don't blame Morris for grabbing  multi-million dollar job but I think at this point he is overpaid. I may have to eat my words in 3-4 years but if so, fine.  I wasn't hoping for a multi year rebuild with just a few wins a year against really poor teams.  If he really is getting 4 star guys it will show up pretty quickly.

cuckoobird

Kirby smart never had a head gig he's doing pretty good. Gus only had one year at AState, he's doing pretty good.

AirWarren

Quote from: cuckoobird on September 11, 2018, 10:49:08 pm
Kirby smart never had a head gig he's doing pretty good. Gus only had one year at AState, he's doing pretty good.

Look at where Kirby is coaching and look where Gus is coaching. The heart of top notch recruiting grounds. Plus they have real tradition.

Fayetteville is no man's land and has 1964 tradition.

RZback

Look at the record.  Secret to a good finish is a good start.  Things right now are now getting off to a good start.  In a couple of days maybe we see that last week was just a bad day.  The first 3 games were set up to get big, easy wins.

bulldoghistorian

Both Bruce and Bazz are picking us to lose Saturday.

Trojanbird

Fayetteville is a very recruitable area, I don't buy the crap that no one wants to go there!  It is going to be the largest populated part of this state!  Walmart,Tyson, Hunt as well as others.  I just don't understand why people say that no one wants to go there!  We have to have coaches that can coach as well as SELL Fayetteville/Walmart,Tyson and others to recruits.
We all thought that biellma was the answer,  not only did he not win, he left us with NO players for the SEC!  Maybe 1or2 but they are overwhelmed!

AirWarren

Quote from: Trojanbird on September 13, 2018, 02:21:57 am
Fayetteville is a very recruitable area, I don't buy the crap that no one wants to go there!  It is going to be the largest populated part of this state!  Walmart,Tyson, Hunt as well as others.  I just don't understand why people say that no one wants to go there!  We have to have coaches that can coach as well as SELL Fayetteville/Walmart,Tyson and others to recruits.
We all thought that biellma was the answer,  not only did he not win, he left us with NO players for the SEC!  Maybe 1or2 but they are overwhelmed!

An 18 year old kid doesn't give a crap about Tyson and Walmart.

Mulerider4Life

Why does it matter that Walmart or Hunt or Tyson is up there?

AirWarren

Trojanbird

Quote from: AirWarren on September 13, 2018, 09:34:55 am
NOTHING.
Yes it does.  It's called big business/money.  Being able to help, the ones that want it, start a career.  The job market is definitely in that area of the state.  I can assure you that there are more opportunities in NW Arkansas than there will ever be in Warren.

AirWarren

September 13, 2018, 09:48:27 am #438 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:50:49 am by AirWarren
Quote from: Trojanbird on September 13, 2018, 09:44:39 am
Yes it does.  It's called big business/money.  Being able to help, the ones that want it, start a career.  The job market is definitely in that area of the state.  I can assure you that there are more opportunities in NW Arkansas than there will ever be in Warren.

How is that correlating to the topic at hand? Football and competing in the SEC?

Blue chips care about winning. Not fayettechill shirts, chacos, and canoes. Or close to Harrison. We will never be UGA, BAMA, ETC of the SEC.

Valleysports

September 13, 2018, 12:16:08 pm #439 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:13:59 pm by Valleysports
Recruit & Development

bdubyab60

A non P5 being picked by 8 on the road at an SEC school. If we had won last week it wouldn't bother me near as much.

I've read a lot of talk about they haven't played anyone. But they won those games easily and we have kind of struggled even in the win at points.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 13, 2018, 03:39:30 pm
A non P5 being picked by 8 on the road at an SEC school. If we had won last week it wouldn't bother me near as much.

I've read a lot of talk about they haven't played anyone. But they won those games easily and we have kind of struggled even in the win at points.

This senior class has lost leads and games 6 times in their careers in Arkansas. I believe that is what I heard on the radio today.

It's time to weed out the weak and push forward. He has a job in front of him. Let him get his kids in and then we need to worry.

As far as everyone picking NorthTexas, just win. Picks and predictions are about as impressive as global warming to me.

gameoflife

September 13, 2018, 04:55:15 pm #442 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:21:14 pm by gameoflife
Fayetteville is a nice little town.  Its a nice college town.  It's not a football SEC power town.  Football players want to go where they know they will win.  No stud wants to go struggle for 2-3 years before they start winning.  Yeah, lots of Arkansas kids want to go to Arkansas but to win we need kids from lots of other state, Texas, Florida and the like.  Those 4 and 5 stars kids aren't putting UA very high on their list if they have other offers.  To know that we are now favored to lose at home by 8 to a non P5 is a real problem.

bleudog

September 13, 2018, 06:28:58 pm #443 Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:31:17 pm by bleudog

Quote from: AirWarren on September 13, 2018, 09:48:27 am
How is that correlating to the topic at hand? Football and competing in the SEC?

Blue chips care about winning. Not fayettechill shirts, chacos, and canoes. Or close to Harrison. We will never be UGA, BAMA, ETC of the SEC.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/fayettevillecityarkansas/IPE120217

bdubyab60

Quote from: AirWarren on September 13, 2018, 03:45:04 pm
This senior class has lost leads and games 6 times in their careers in Arkansas. I believe that is what I heard on the radio today.

It's time to weed out the weak and push forward. He has a job in front of him. Let him get his kids in and then we need to worry.

As far as everyone picking NorthTexas, just win. Picks and predictions are about as impressive as global warming to me.
I know it's gonna take time. I'd rather get beat though than blow games. It just feels different losing that way.

My main gripe right now is this is supposed to be hammerdown and then some of the offensive calls last week were far from that imo.

gameoflife

So my question is:  Is Chad Morris going down to Texas for the high school game on Friday? 

bigworm

If kids will go to starkville they will go to fayetteville. Winnin cures lots of problems.

gameoflife

Well how many times has the SEC title wound up in Starkville?

cuckoobird

He should go watch his kid play. It's the right thing to do as a father, it's UNCOUNTED recruiting trips to see players, and there is nothing he can do Friday night to make them win Saturday

bigworm

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas