• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Paragould Head Football Job

Started by OB11, January 19, 2016, 10:54:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nuttinbuthogs

Does seem that people tend to believe the spread is a cure all so it's no wonder you didn't see it right away.

Footballguru16

The thing about Paragould is that the spread won't be the answer because thats what they've been doing. The answer in Ram country has to be getting kids to play football.

bigchief72455

Quote from: Footballguru16 on January 24, 2016, 07:16:33 pm
The thing about Paragould is that the spread won't be the answer because thats what they've been doing. The answer in Ram country has to be getting kids to play football.
True. It is hard to get excited about mediocre seasons. They need some form of turn around. Maybe some new ideas from a new coach will solve it. If they start winning more then more kids may show an interest. Some times you need a band wagon effect.

Pat Swilling

If facilities are what yall say they are PHS may bring in the next big up and comer?

bigchief72455

Quote from: Pat Swilling on January 25, 2016, 08:21:21 am
If facilities are what yall say they are PHS may bring in the next big up and comer?
They have great facilities. They have a nice field also.

OB11

Quote from: bigchief72455 on January 25, 2016, 09:10:14 am

I would put their facilities up against any schools in this area for sure, maybe the rest of the state.  The field just got new turf either this year or last year.  They have a great set up there. 

bigchief72455

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 25, 2016, 10:12:54 am

I would put their facilities up against any schools in this area for sure, maybe the rest of the state.  The field just got new turf either this year or last year.  They have a great set up there.
Better than the old Harmon Field. lol. Great memories there though.

OB11

Quote from: bigchief72455 on January 25, 2016, 12:31:37 pm

I think my backyard would have been better to play on than Harmon. lol

ricepig

Quote from: bigchief72455 on January 25, 2016, 12:31:37 pm

I've got two splits on my chin from Harmon field in 1975.

hurricane 09

Quote from: FD4 on January 21, 2016, 04:08:35 pm
Wynne had a set of seasons after "The General" left following the 06 season.  Coach Shempert took over and for some strange reason the diamond T was just not the same.  The defense was.  Enter Chris Hill with a new plan and that modern method of offense.  Instant success.  Went from worst to first pretty quick so to speak.

No reason a younger, motivated, enthusiastic and steward of the game could not come in and get the thing ripping right out of the gate.  Sort of like what coach Gary Moody has done over there in Gosnell.  If the guy taking the job can sell his brand of oats to the guys playing the game, get them to buy in and believe in what they are capable of, it would work.  It has to be the right man for the job though.  He has to be a proven winner with superior knowledge of the game.  I know there has to be some level of talent up there.  I wish them well and hope the administration gets the right guy, and gets out of his way and lets him do his thing.

Chris Hill was not a young coach when he took over at Wynne. True, he had a plan, but that plan was based on a number of years of experience. Also, I would not call his coaching style enthusiastic. He coaches his kids hard. Real hard. Are Paragould players ready to be coached hard, or would they all quit?

Chief-Chickasaw

Personally I think Paragould could line up in the I and play 3 yards and a cloud of dust and ball control and have success.  I haven't seen the team speed to match up in the spread but they have big strong kids who could push the line and control the ball.  There is no quick fix when kids don't want to play.  Blytheville has a lot of the same issues with kids just not wanting to play.  I think you pick a coach that you like and can relate to the kids.  He needs to focus on the JR high team and getting success and numbers there and build up from there.  From what I've seen at Paragould they have the enough to be a 3 or 4 seed team regularly.  I think people jump on the spread and think it cures everything but you have to have team speed to be good.  If I were to coach Paragould I would line up with two tight ends and get the boys fired up to smash the man in front of you.  I think that is a Paragould attitude I think the kids would respond to that and they already play with that attitude in Basketball, do the little things and be physical. That's just my thoughts.

Footballrulz

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on January 26, 2016, 08:55:41 am
Personally I think Paragould could line up in the I and play 3 yards and a cloud of dust and ball control and have success.  I haven't seen the team speed to match up in the spread but they have big strong kids who could push the line and control the ball.  There is no quick fix when kids don't want to play.  Blytheville has a lot of the same issues with kids just not wanting to play.  I think you pick a coach that you like and can relate to the kids.  He needs to focus on the JR high team and getting success and numbers there and build up from there.  From what I've seen at Paragould they have the enough to be a 3 or 4 seed team regularly.  I think people jump on the spread and think it cures everything but you have to have team speed to be good.  If I were to coach Paragould I would line up with two tight ends and get the boys fired up to smash the man in front of you.  I think that is a Paragould attitude I think the kids would respond to that and they already play with that attitude in Basketball, do the little things and be physical. That's just my thoughts.

I agree, that attitude is already there, just not in football.  Gonna take someone making kids believe in them.  Definitely can be done. 

OB11

Has anyone heard names of applicants?  Wondering if they will leave this open for a while or close it soon.

ricepig

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 26, 2016, 10:42:55 am
Has anyone heard names of applicants?  Wondering if they will leave this open for a while or close it soon.

So, how many JPS Jr high coaches have applied???

MountieForLife

I've got two splits on my chin from Harmon field in 1975.
BEST memory of Harmon Field was JR year ('92) when we found out we got to play at U of A instead!!

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 12:28:06 pm

Have not heard of any.  Would not be surprised at all if one or two do.  I think one of JHS's high school coaches would be a great fit.  But I don't know if he has any interest in it. 

ricepig

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 26, 2016, 12:46:48 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 26, 2016, 12:28:06 pm

Have not heard of any.  Would not be surprised at all if one or two do.  I think one of JHS's high school coaches would be a great fit.  But I don't know if he has any interest in it.

Yeah, I had heard one had thrown his name in some high school jobs in the area in the past, figured he might here.

FD4

I have not heard of any from our grape vine here in Wynne either, but I do believe Paragould has made a call or two.

Pat Swilling

Okieback

How big is the staff , will the new coach get to bring at least a few of his own guys?
Weight room?
Weight lifting classes?
How's the non conference schedule?
What's the town like?
Who's the ad, do all the sports and "band" get along ( can't believe is just typed that) lol

I'm just asking cause these are all question a coach considering applying would want to know right away.

ricepig

Quote from: Okieback on February 01, 2016, 11:00:18 pm
How big is the staff , will the new coach get to bring at least a few of his own guys?
Weight room?
Weight lifting classes?
What's the town like?
Who's the ad, do all the sports and "band" get along ( can't believe is just typed that) lol

I'm just asking cause these are all question a coach considering applying would want to know right away.

I'm pretty sure those applying know the details.

footballguy34

Anyone know any names of applicants??

GotInfo?

Pat Swilling

Pat Swilling

I looked on there school Web page.  the former HC made a very good salary.  With salary and obviously great facilities I would think they would be able to attract a good applicant.

GotInfo?

Having not won in a long time curbs it. 

Pat Swilling

I know.  I feel they will hire a smaller school guy with success that is looking for a pay raise and get on bigger stage.

Okieback

Not always

Things always seem different outside looking in.

Okieback

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2016, 11:04:55 pm
Weight room?
Weight lifting classes?
What's the town like?

I'm pretty sure those applying know the details.

They might know now after interviewing, but things change when a new hire is about to be made

Lionheart88

Weight room?
Weight lifting classes?
What's the town like?

A few?  He'll probably be lucky to get one or two.  Paragould can't just fire existing teachers because they aren't the new coach's guy.  That's not how it works in high school.  They really shouldn't be bringing guys in just because the new HC vouches for them either.  Might be tough to explain to the parents why you hired a less-qualified applicant just because he's buddies with the new football coach.  I have a feeling teaching comes first in Paragould.

UncleRico

Missco

Other than LR Fair it might be the toughest place to win and worse job in 5A. The right person could turn it around but would need total control and be given the proper resources.

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on February 03, 2016, 11:56:54 pm
Other than LR Fair it might be the toughest place to win and worse job in 5A. The right person could turn it around but would need total control and be given the proper resources.

Wow, that's a pretty low blow. It definitely has it's challenges, but I don't think it's that level.

Pat Swilling

new guy has got to be a good salesman and find something they can be successful at.

Missco

It probably is more attractive to some people. Everyone is different. In the 5A east I am sure some would say its a better job than Bly. or FC, but it wouldn't be to me. The same goes for the LR schools. One also could put it higher than maybe Mills.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Missco on February 04, 2016, 09:23:29 am
It probably is more attractive to some people. Everyone is different. In the 5A east I am sure some would say its a better job than Bly. or FC, but it wouldn't be to me. The same goes for the LR schools. One also could put it higher than maybe Mills.
I don't think it's a bad job.  The main problem is getting kids motivated to play.  If the kids play the community will support it there.  Things could turn around quickly there.

Missco

True, but I have heard that for the last 40 years. Just saying.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on February 04, 2016, 09:29:50 am
I don't think it's a bad job.  The main problem is getting kids motivated to play.  If the kids play the community will support it there.  Things could turn around quickly there.

So why has no coach been able to get it done?   

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on February 07, 2016, 05:28:47 pm
Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on February 04, 2016, 09:29:50 am

So why has no coach been able to get it done?   
If I had that answer I would be coach.  I don't think they are a State Champion contender but a 3 or 4 seed contender they have the parts now.  They need better numbers.  Paragould is a basketball school how many of their star basketball players play football? In a 5A school you really need all your athletes to play multiple sports. It makes the Blytheville job way harder.  Some of our best athletes just play basketball which I think is dumb.  Not a lot of scholarships going to 6-1 power forwards and centers but our kids think they will be the one. We have a kid right now playing the 4 who is 6-0 215 who would be a college football player if he just played but he thinks he is gonna play basketball in college. Hard to get over that mindset.

Qhcaoc

I have heard this job has been filled. Any truth to that?

Missco

OB11

Not sure if it means much, but the job is still posted on the school's website and the AAA website. I don't imagine they want to drag this out much longer before naming a coach though.

bvillehawg

The border war is on because the front runner might sneaking back across

Pat Swilling

This may have already been discussed bud does the PHS HFC teach?

OB11

Quote from: Pat Swilling on February 09, 2016, 02:25:21 pm

I don't believe the one that was there did.  But the job posting on the school and AAA website was advertised as Head Football Coach/ Secondary Teacher.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on February 10, 2016, 09:52:54 am

I don't believe the one that was there did.  But the job posting on the school and AAA website was advertised as Head Football Coach/ Secondary Teacher.
that means their d-backs have been weak.

OB11

Quote from: Oldman on February 10, 2016, 01:24:23 pm
Quote from: OliverBoy11 on February 10, 2016, 09:52:54 am

that means their d-backs have been weak.

It took me a lot longer than I'd care to admit to figure out what you were saying. Haha!

hurricane 09

Quote from: bvillehawg on February 08, 2016, 01:31:11 pm
The border war is on because the front runner might sneaking back across

What does this mean?

olemissjacket99

Pat Swilling

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas