• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suggested PA non-conference schedule

Started by MDXPHD, December 09, 2015, 07:54:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fullbacktrap75

Can someone tell me what the middle school admissions requirement is?

Fullbacktrap75

I have a grandson in 4th grade just wondering?

MDXPHD

Fullbacktrap75

Good lineman lol. Never mind I called and asked said grades 1-12 all take a form of test but those aren't the only factors they consider. From my understanding they take in a certain amount of kids even though they fall a little short on the test is what they said. Told them he lived in Conway but wanted to play sports was told in the 4 th grade he would be fine and by the time he got into upper levels he would be ok according to AAA rules.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 14, 2015, 09:35:14 am
Good lineman lol. Never mind I called and asked said grades 1-12 all take a form of test but those aren't the only factors they consider. From my understanding they take in a certain amount of kids even though they fall a little short on the test is what they said. Told them he lived in Conway but wanted to play sports was told in the 4 th grade he would be fine and by the time he got into upper levels he would be ok according to AAA rules.

He qualifies!

AirWarren

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 14, 2015, 08:35:43 am
Quote from: PA Dad on December 13, 2015, 11:48:04 pm
Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 13, 2015, 10:29:00 pm
Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 13, 2015, 07:16:03 pm
PA would be fine against any team in the state. Nothing against them but they are in one of the biggest areas in the state. Numbers aren't an issue, because 50 quality players can beat 100 average players any day of the week. Not going as far as saying its recruiting but any kid in that entire city can go there so they basically have their choice of 7A players. Nothing against them but it's just facts and if my kid lived in little Rock they for sure wouldn't go to one of those public schools there.
You're right. Any kid can go there as long as they pay the annual tuition and fees to do so.

As a parent with a kid at PA, you're wrong.  Not any kid whose parents can afford the tuition can get into PA.  You have to meet the admission criteria, which are pretty rigorous.  PA is first and foremost an academic school.  Even the best football player in the state can't get in unless he can meet the admission criteria.

And, if you care to look at some of my prior posts, the great majority of PA players have been at PA since grade school.  It's not a case of good players transferring in in high school.

For some odd reason, I believe he would certainly meet the admission criteria lol.

He would.

Cruz Williams had issues with getting eligible for college and I believe he transferred to several different places from academic problems once out of PA. He was a fantastic WR at PA.

PA Dad

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 14, 2015, 12:42:52 am
I guess the best way to put this is draw me a district line and then tell me how many kids are in that area. My kids went to a private school in louisianna, and everyone can say what they want about requirements, but I've seen those requirements to get in bent a little. Which no doubt PA is the exception to that lol. It is what it is thousands of kids in an area will go where the success is at. If you put warren, Monticello, star city , Hamburg together there still isn't the numbers around that PA has. I may be wrong, but let me guess very hard admissions process? Well let me ask what the admissions process is for elementary, and middle school kids. The school my kids went to attended 5&6th grade games and brought them in young so they could be basically grandfathered into the school without passing those admissions test and allowing the high school program to tell the governing athletic body these kids have been here for years. While the high level entry test kept the mass majority of kids they didn't want out and the school still has high level academics, but now have several top level players they have been bringing along. This may not be how they do it but any successful private school in most states do it this way. Once again it is what it is and if my kids lived in little rock PA is where they would go.

My daughter started at PA in the third grade.  I can't give you the specifics, but I know she had to take a standardized test and submit a writing sample even in the third grade.  But, I can't tell you what the requirements are now - that was long ago.

PA Dad

PA would be fine against any team in the state. Nothing against them but they are in one of the biggest areas in the state. Numbers aren't an issue, because 50 quality players can beat 100 average players any day of the week. Not going as far as saying its recruiting but any kid in that entire city can go there so they basically have their choice of 7A players. Nothing against them but it's just facts and if my kid lived in little Rock they for sure wouldn't go to one of those public schools there.
You're right. Any kid can go there as long as they pay the annual tuition and fees to do so.

As a parent with a kid at PA, you're wrong.  Not any kid whose parents can afford the tuition can get into PA.  You have to meet the admission criteria, which are pretty rigorous.  PA is first and foremost an academic school.  Even the best football player in the state can't get in unless he can meet the admission criteria.

And, if you care to look at some of my prior posts, the great majority of PA players have been at PA since grade school.  It's not a case of good players transferring in in high school.

For some odd reason, I believe he would certainly meet the admission criteria lol.

He would have to meet the same requirements anyone else would have to.  I can remember a couple of good football players who were not allowed to play because their grades fell too low.

bigchief72455

Pocahontas would like an opportunity to play.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 14, 2015, 11:02:39 am

He would have to meet the same requirements anyone else would have to.  I can remember a couple of good football players who were not allowed to play because their grades fell too low.

The burden of proof is on you ;D

JustGoForIt114

I was one of those that attended since grade school - a long time ago. I agree with you PA Dad, and I apologize for not clearly making my point. There are admission/academic requirements that have to be met - once those are met, there are still a lot of other things that have to happen in order to be admitted. The post I was responding to made it seem as if any good football player could go there because PA "recruits" which is false. My bad PA dad! Go Bruins

JustGoForIt114

Quote from: the voice on December 14, 2015, 06:55:43 am
Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 13, 2015, 10:36:24 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 08:48:45 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on December 09, 2015, 08:43:19 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 07:54:49 pm
Sorry guys, I realized that I am not as busy that I thought I would be this month. Lucky for all of you, I won't be taking a true break!

Here are some of my suggestions for PA to beef up their non-conference schedule.

Ozark JV, obviously. Hope, because they still believe they are the best team in 5A. Finally, some random out of state school that has traditionally been a power, but is about to hit a couple of down years.

Here's another idea: keep all the talk about Kelley and being classless off this thread. Every thread is getting derailed by it. We all know how you feel.

I know PA Dad.. I let you down because you looked forward to me leaving for a couple of months. I apologize for getting your hopes up!
s

Glad to have you back although you weren't gone long enough!

I'd love to see PA play GW.  I'm not sure about PB - they were dang good this year, maybe best in the state. No way do I want to take on Ozark JV.

Even PA has it's limits..I understand.

PB was very good, but GW was about the same. 28-21 final and both teams played a good game. I think either one would be good for PA, the opponent, and the state. Let's lobby for it and get it done. (I have no pull with any team whatsoever, so...you'll have to be the one lobbying)
PA played Greenwood 4 years in a row before they moved to 6A. The record between the two teams was an even 2-2. These games used to draw huge crowds, IMO they have one of the best atmospheres to play at in the state. MDXPHD who is your favorite team in the state - or who do you pull for on Friday's? Maybe PA can play them! I wish PA would play Fayetteville, but it's not as easy as it seems. You can't just lobby for it and get it done. FHS has way more to lose than PA does. A school with 2,000 kids grades 9-12 compared to PA with 350 kids 9-12. Wouldn't look too great on FHS's part if they lost this game. I'm just willing to bet that you wouldn't be satisfied if PA played your hypothetical non-conference schedule and won all of the games. There would be another excuse of how/why it happened.

Playing teams years ago doesn't mean it would be the same. A few years back Morrilton scrimmaged Fayetteville. Before that had a home and away series with PA , after the 2013 meeting Morrilton holds a 2-1 lead in the series. As for excuses as to why you beat them, you are making argument to prove most posters point. If you were to beat Fayetteville and pine bluff like you sorta say , it shows you need to play different competition than 5a, sure teams can play extremely well and win a game they shouldn't. Greenwood is closer in talent to you and definitely has the coaching advantage in most people's opinion.

This makes zero sense. Can we agree that GW is one of the best teams in the state regardless of classification? Can we both agree PA vs GW record is tied 2-2? Then we can probably agree that GW does not have a coaching advantage, I would be willing to say neither team has a coaching advantage because they are both extremely well coached teams.
You can't just call the AD from any school you want and schedule a game with them. It doesn't work that way. At the very minimum, both parties would have to agree - which I'm saying most "bigger/better/stronger/awesome/amazing" teams would not agree to play PA. I PROMISE PA would not turn down an invitation to play any team in the state. PA has played 7A teams in regular season games even when they were in 4A. What more do you want? Maybe PA had to go to Texas to play a "bigger" team because none of the schools here would agree to do so. Who knows? But for anyone to say that Highland Park was a "once-dominant" team is ridiculous.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 14, 2015, 11:33:33 am
Quote from: PA Dad on December 14, 2015, 11:02:39 am

The burden of proof is on you ;D

Naw, my head hurts from beating it against the wall.  I'll just tell it like it is and anyone who wants to believe something different, with NO proof, is welcome to do so.

the voice

December 14, 2015, 09:46:38 pm #63 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:54:19 pm by the voice
Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 14, 2015, 07:42:12 pm
Quote from: the voice on December 14, 2015, 06:55:43 am
Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 13, 2015, 10:36:24 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 08:48:45 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on December 09, 2015, 08:43:19 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 09, 2015, 07:54:49 pm
Sorry guys, I realized that I am not as busy that I thought I would be this month. Lucky for all of you, I won't be taking a true break!

Here are some of my suggestions for PA to beef up their non-conference schedule.

Ozark JV, obviously. Hope, because they still believe they are the best team in 5A. Finally, some random out of state school that has traditionally been a power, but is about to hit a couple of down years.

Here's another idea: keep all the talk about Kelley and being classless off this thread. Every thread is getting derailed by it. We all know how you feel.

I know PA Dad.. I let you down because you looked forward to me leaving for a couple of months. I apologize for getting your hopes up!
s

Glad to have you back although you weren't gone long enough!

I'd love to see PA play GW.  I'm not sure about PB - they were dang good this year, maybe best in the state. No way do I want to take on Ozark JV.

Even PA has it's limits..I understand.

PB was very good, but GW was about the same. 28-21 final and both teams played a good game. I think either one would be good for PA, the opponent, and the state. Let's lobby for it and get it done. (I have no pull with any team whatsoever, so...you'll have to be the one lobbying)
PA played Greenwood 4 years in a row before they moved to 6A. The record between the two teams was an even 2-2. These games used to draw huge crowds, IMO they have one of the best atmospheres to play at in the state. MDXPHD who is your favorite team in the state - or who do you pull for on Friday's? Maybe PA can play them! I wish PA would play Fayetteville, but it's not as easy as it seems. You can't just lobby for it and get it done. FHS has way more to lose than PA does. A school with 2,000 kids grades 9-12 compared to PA with 350 kids 9-12. Wouldn't look too great on FHS's part if they lost this game. I'm just willing to bet that you wouldn't be satisfied if PA played your hypothetical non-conference schedule and won all of the games. There would be another excuse of how/why it happened.

Playing teams years ago doesn't mean it would be the same. A few years back Morrilton scrimmaged Fayetteville. Before that had a home and away series with PA , after the 2013 meeting Morrilton holds a 2-1 lead in the series. As for excuses as to why you beat them, you are making argument to prove most posters point. If you were to beat Fayetteville and pine bluff like you sorta say , it shows you need to play different competition than 5a, sure teams can play extremely well and win a game they shouldn't. Greenwood is closer in talent to you and definitely has the coaching advantage in most people's opinion.

This makes zero sense. Can we agree that GW is one of the best teams in the state regardless of classification? Can we both agree PA vs GW record is tied 2-2? Then we can probably agree that GW does not have a coaching advantage, I would be willing to say neither team has a coaching advantage because they are both extremely well coached teams.
You can't just call the AD from any school you want and schedule a game with them. It doesn't work that way. At the very minimum, both parties would have to agree - which I'm saying most "bigger/better/stronger/awesome/amazing" teams would not agree to play PA. I PROMISE PA would not turn down an invitation to play any team in the state. PA has played 7A teams in regular season games even when they were in 4A. What more do you want? Maybe PA had to go to Texas to play a "bigger" team because none of the schools here would agree to do so. Who knows? But for anyone to say that Highland Park was a "once-dominant" team is ridiculous.

Makes zero sense to a certain few pa supporters. Do a poll , ask who would want Rick jones or KK , you'll be surprised.  Jones  a very classy guy and I'm pretty sure has won more titles as well. He runs a class program and has the respect of people. I don't think it'd be close in who folks would rather lead their program.

Also you ever thought no one wants to play a guy who wants to rub it in by mercy ruling you if at all possible? Teams lose every week it's nothing new , to get beaten by 35 or more for giving a team a game when it didn't have to , and have them beat by 35 when they didn't have to? Yeah not surprised, he's had problems for years getting games.

I know full well how scheduling works at the high schools. There are many things to consider. If you're so confident in playing anyone anytime then petition the AAA big shot , get a petition to move up to 7a , I'm not saying you can't or won't win , but if you beat them down , or if you can then why you brag about being dominant against the 5a ? Put your money where your mouth is. Shiloh petitioned to play up a few years ago and declined to again. I think some PA supporters are quite content staying put where they are. There'd be little love lost if you guys did move up , sure some have giving you a good game and a few have beaten you guys, but all this recurring debate over recruiting and blah blah , I don't think they recruit as much l think people choose to go there. But it doesn't matter , I don't think they cheat , l think they are able to attract because of their success many of the top players in their area. You have better players you're gonna win. You guys have dominated, props to you , congrats , so try the next level , why not 

Fullbacktrap75

PA Dad when I hear about PA and a few others I hear about great kids, community , and parents. That's the draw to the school and who wouldn't want their kids to go to a place like that I know i did. But the fact is PA has won 5 state championships in 12 years or close to that. Your coach seems like a great coach, but after seeing PA play there is for sure no lack of athletes. I will always do right by my kids first and foremost. But after watching my sons team destroy public school after public school I couldn't help but feel terrible for many of those kids I would look around having more fans then the home team most nights. Going to smaller towns that was full of kids that really had nothing, and coaches who had what they had. I just really felt bad because we had the best that money could buy in terms of facilities, and trainers. The draw of any kid in a bigger town even though we were classified in a smaller division. Like I stated earlier finding athletes when they are young was a very common practice. You can't blame the kids at PA they are just playing their tails off but most schools who face them football is all they have, which is sad but the truth. Can anyone tell me if the powers that be in the AAA have kids in private school?

PA Dad

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 14, 2015, 10:07:28 pm
PA Dad when I hear about PA and a few others I hear about great kids, community , and parents. That's the draw to the school and who wouldn't want their kids to go to a place like that I know i did. But the fact is PA has won 5 state championships in 12 years or close to that. Your coach seems like a great coach, but after seeing PA play there is for sure no lack of athletes. I will always do right by my kids first and foremost. But after watching my sons team destroy public school after public school I couldn't help but feel terrible for many of those kids I would look around having more fans then the home team most nights. Going to smaller towns that was full of kids that really had nothing, and coaches who had what they had. I just really felt bad because we had the best that money could buy in terms of facilities, and trainers. The draw of any kid in a bigger town even though we were classified in a smaller division. Like I stated earlier finding athletes when they are young was a very common practice. You can't blame the kids at PA they are just playing their tails off but most schools who face them football is all they have, which is sad but the truth. Can anyone tell me if the powers that be in the AAA have kids in private school?

Good post.  I've admitted many times that kids at private schools have many advantages over kids at public schools.  I think Intelligentcia has explained those advantages best.  And, I've also felt sorry for some of PA's opponents although I doubt that the opponents want to hear that.

It's not much fun to watch mercy rule games.  I really wish PA would move up.  But, that assumes that Kelley stays.  There are rumors that he is leaving.  If he does, I think PA will be competitive but not dominant.  If he leaves, I think PA will be fine in 5A.

the voice

Agree!! Who wouldn't want to go. And yes there's the cost and the criteria to go , it's not easy. That's what makes it special. No need to recruit, they line up to go. And those schools in the rural areas that put together a championship team once a decade or longer , have their chance, and face a team that was not the luck of the draw or where they lived but although nothing illegal about it , the rural town gets smashed and mercy ruled by a school that's winning their third fourth or fifth title in a row.

As I've said before l don't have the correct answer. And I've probably let some of the posters get under my skin , to most pa posters I apologize, but some of this just gets old hearing the boasting all the time. Not all do it, there are some good pa posters

the voice

Good post.  I've admitted many times that kids at private schools have many advantages over kids at public schools.  I think Intelligentcia has explained those advantages best.  And, I've also felt sorry for some of PA's opponents although I doubt that the opponents want to hear that.

It's not much fun to watch mercy rule games.  I really wish PA would move up.  But, that assumes that Kelley stays.  There are rumors that he is leaving.  If he does, I think PA will be competitive but not dominant.  If he leaves, I think PA will be fine in 5A.
[/quote]

Yes you have and he did give a good summary of them. I also think that somethings are overblown towards recruiting as well. I do again agree that you have been fair and respectful in your posts also.

Fullbacktrap75

I don't think that I would say recruiting to any extent, but more or less not bound to district lines as most schools are.

farfromgroovins

All this for naught because it all goes in cycles. For the immediate future, PA will be tough but somewhere down the road they won't be who they once were. We've all seen it before. Those championship banners will hang forever but it is no guarantee another one will be added.

PA Pressbox

Sorry, haven't been on here in a while so just now reading this.  To answer your last question, yes, I know of at least one high level AAA Executive (no, not the director) who has a child who graduated, last year, from a private school in LR/NLR (no, not PA). 

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Fullbacktrap75 on December 14, 2015, 11:23:08 pm
I don't think that I would say recruiting to any extent, but more or less not bound to district lines as most schools are.

No school in the Little Rock Metro (LRSD and PCSSD) is bound by district lines, due to the desegregation laws and school choice. 

Lionheart88

Complete Biased PoV

Hadn't been on in a while. No body cares about NLR, they are like the forgotten step-child, HAHAHA.  Is NLR included in the school choice?  There are kids in Little Rock who go to NLR...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas