• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mile relay

Started by Gray lizard, April 18, 2018, 10:03:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

When I was in JR high we had a pretty good mile relay team.  The high school was having a track meet.  This was at Dardanelle.  Back then they had a cinder track with 7 lanes.  There were six teams at the meet.  So our Jr high coach decided to put us in the mile relay race with the high school teams. To our surprise we won the race.  Man I was on cloud 9 walking around with my chest stuck out until one of high school boys shoved me into a locker and locked me in it.  He said "that ought to get you down off your high horse".

MICHAELSPAPPY

Hope you didn't have claustrophobia. Must have had a pretty salty jr hi relay team, though.

Gray lizard

Yea I had to stay in there till the guy whose locker it was showed up with the combination to get out.  Due to the mile being the last event they had to call the guy back as he had already went home.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Sounds a little strange saying "mile" relay these days, doesn't it? But that was THE event back then. Last event of the day, often with the meet riding on the result.

RATTLER43

Still is.   When the announcer called out the standings Friday it was Danville 145, Magazine 145.  Our anchor came from behind to beat them and the District title!

Sportshawk

Quote from: RATTLER43 on April 18, 2018, 05:23:18 pm
Still is.   When the announcer called out the standings Friday it was Danville 145, Magazine 145.  Our anchor came from behind to beat them and the District title!
it is no coincidence that most times, the best overall teams have the best mile/4x400 relays.  My old coach always said his first order of business was to establish a strong mile relay unit then go from there.

RATTLER43

May 10, 2018, 11:55:30 am #6 Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:59:53 am by RATTLER43
Agreed.  ...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas