• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nice way to start the season.

Started by JessieP, March 26, 2018, 09:07:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

It looks like the 2018 5A football season will kick off 8/24 with Batesville traveling to LRCA in a clash of 2 traditionally top 10 teams. This is a nice early season game. So many teams start off with cupcakes or out of state teams. Don't put too much credence into this one, no one plays great in week 1.

PA Dad

That's a great start to the season.  It will give us some idea of the strength of two of the top 10 teams.

Mulerider4Life

JessieP

March 26, 2018, 08:19:26 pm #3 Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:26:44 pm by JessieP
Spring practice hasn't started yet, I guess the veterans (Red Devil Alum, Overdahill, Maynard G.Krebs and a few others) are still hibernating. I was hoping a "slow pitch" like this would have brought out the smart aleck posters, no such luck so I'll do it.

This game will showcase 2 completely different philosophies. A team that pays it's players versus a team that pays the refs.   

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on March 26, 2018, 08:19:26 pm
Spring practice hasn't started yet, I guess the veterans (Red Devil Alum, Overdahill, Maynard G.Krebs and a few others) are still hibernating. I was hoping a "slow pitch" like this would have brought out the smart aleck posters, no such luck so I'll do it.

This game will showcase 2 completely different philosophies. A team that pays it's players versus a team that pays the refs.

I like it!

Overdahill

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: JessieP on March 26, 2018, 09:07:27 am
It looks like the 2018 5A football season will kick off 8/24 with Batesville traveling to LRCA in a clash of 2 traditionally top 10 teams. This is a nice early season game. So many teams start off with cupcakes or out of state teams. Don't put too much credence into this one, no one plays great in week 1.
That's a great opening week game. Makes me glad I'm not wearing pads and a helmet in August.

Overdahill

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on March 28, 2018, 08:59:06 am
That's a great opening week game. Makes me glad I'm not wearing pads and a helmet in August.

You don't miss 2 a days?  ;D

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: JessieP on March 26, 2018, 08:19:26 pm

Which is which?

JessieP

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on March 28, 2018, 11:39:32 am
Which is which?

Just having a little fun with some old FF conspiracy theories. A lot of "less than stable" posters have claimed that schools like PA and LRCA pay players families to have their sons play football. And that Batesville has a long tradition of buying refs.

A little useless trivia for you, the Batesville rumor can easily be explained by some old timer locals. Back in '97 or '98 Batesville was playing Wynne, a rivalry game. Standing on the sidelines was Mark Martin, Bill Davis (two pretty big names in NASCAR) and a young Jeff Gordon. Martin and Davis are Batesville natives. During a timeout one of the side judges shook hands and exchanged pleasantries with the 3 men, he was obviously a big NASCAR fan. Batesville went on to win the game and a rumor was born. Someone showed me a photo on the 3 men at the game and explained "that is how it all began". As far as paying players? well that's true. How do I know this? I read it here of course.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: JessieP on March 28, 2018, 12:21:31 pm
Just having a little fun with some old FF conspiracy theories. A lot of "less than stable" posters have claimed that schools like PA and LRCA pay players families to have their sons play football. And that Batesville has a long tradition of buying refs.

A little useless trivia for you, the Batesville rumor can easily be explained by some old timer locals. Back in '97 or '98 Batesville was playing Wynne, a rivalry game. Standing on the sidelines was Mark Martin, Bill Davis (two pretty big names in NASCAR) and a young Jeff Gordon. Martin and Davis are Batesville natives. During a timeout one of the side judges shook hands and exchanged pleasantries with the 3 men, he was obviously a big NASCAR fan. Batesville went on to win the game and a rumor was born. Someone showed me a photo on the 3 men at the game and explained "that is how it all began". As far as paying players? well that's true. How do I know this? I read it here of course.

Haha yeah I know, just messing around.  One of the threads about PA may even be in the Hall of Fame here.  The one about measuring yard markers with pieces of paper, envelopes full of cash, etc. 

And if you read it here, you know it is 100% true.

Overdahill

BTW, when is the ref fund car wash this year? :D

MDXPHD

Oh the irony of you calling people unstable...

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on March 29, 2018, 11:42:55 am
Oh the irony of you calling people unstable...

I guess I'm now on MDX's insult list. Be warned people, if you don't file in lock-step with his "Bash PA regardless of the topic" edict you too will fall out of favor. Let's see if I can make him like me again? Here goes: "I have no doubt that the private schools pay top dollar to get 7th graders to attend their school. Believing a small school in Arkansas would make such a large capitol investment to win mid-level classification titles makes total sense, it a very healthy way of thinking". Is that good enough or should I wonder if PA's student band is actually professional musicians flown in from NYC?

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on March 29, 2018, 01:18:50 pm
I guess I'm now on MDX's insult list. Be warned people, if you don't file in lock-step with his "Bash PA regardless of the topic" edict you too will fall out of favor. Let's see if I can make him like me again? Here goes: "I have no doubt that the private schools pay top dollar to get 7th graders to attend their school. Believing a small school in Arkansas would make such a large capitol investment to win mid-level classification titles makes total sense, it a very healthy way of thinking". Is that good enough or should I wonder if PA's student band is actually professional musicians flown in from NYC?

And thanks for proving my point. Much appreciated.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas