• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1A 2 South district champions predictions

Started by JimmyChitwood, February 07, 2018, 12:01:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyChitwood

Sr Boys: Concord
Sr Girls: Concord
Jr Boys: South Side
Jr Girls: Rural Special

ballmember

Sr boys Midland\

Sr Girls Concord

Jr Boys West Side

Jr Girls Pangburn

riccoar

Sr Boys: Concord  (there is just not anybody playing close to them)

Sr Girls: Concord  (my gut says Concord, though WSGF has added a significant piece as of today and all 3 matchups were decided by 5 points or less each time)

Jr Boys: WSGF  (watched SSBB and WSGF play at WSGF.  EPIC game that came down to last second shot.  WSGF left too much room in this game by shooting poorly from the FT line.)

JimmyChitwood

I'm at the metropolis of Shirley to watch the Rebels win the girls and my Hornets win in boys. Go Hornets!

JimmyChitwood

JimmyChitwood

We got out coached and out classed tonight.

BannerMountainMan

HorseFeathers

JimmyChitwood

BasketballNeverStops

Rural-54
Bradford-37

I was pretty impressed with Rural's girls this season. They are very athletic, play really hard, and are deadeyes from downtown. Easily the best group they have had in quite a while, finishing 25-3. Both the Sutterfield and Linville girl will be forces in the years to come. As for West Side's boys, they finished 27-1 and will be led by Gentry and Knapp, who will cause a lot of problems for teams inside. They also had a seventh grade squad that finished 18-0.

AuburnTigers98

Quote from: ballmember on February 07, 2018, 03:41:04 pm
Sr boys Midland\

Sr Girls Concord

Jr Boys West Side

Jr Girls Pangburn

I read in the paper this morning that Midland lost to Ridgefield 74-48 on Friday night. Was this just an off night for Midland?

thebigman3

Quote from: AuburnTigers98 on February 11, 2018, 09:46:28 am

I read in the paper this morning that Midland lost to Ridgefield 74-48 on Friday night. Was this just an off night for Midland?
Was this in district or regular season?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: thebigman3 on February 11, 2018, 10:22:53 am
Was this in district or regular season?

They're in different districts.....Heard that Midland is awful on the road, and lights out at home though....Might be like the rest of region 3 seems to be though...up and down

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 11, 2018, 10:26:45 am
They're in different districts.....Heard that Midland is awful on the road, and lights out at home though....Might be like the rest of region 3 seems to be though...up and down
hmm Shirley beat em at home and lost on the road

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 11, 2018, 11:45:15 am
hmm Shirley beat em at home and lost on the road
Midland is athletic but super inconsistent from what I have seen.

Catfish

Quote from: riccoar on February 09, 2018, 06:49:24 am
Sr Boys: Concord  (there is just not anybody playing close to them)

Sr Girls: Concord  (my gut says Concord, though WSGF has added a significant piece as of today and all 3 matchups were decided by 5 points or less each time)

Jr Boys: WSGF  (watched SSBB and WSGF play at WSGF.  EPIC game that came down to last second shot.  WSGF left too much room in this game by shooting poorly from the FT line.)

I agree with this, but I believe it will be RS girls playing in the finals against Concord. RS girls have been pretty good this year, but adding the 9th graders they just got ALOT better.

ballmember

Adding Sutterfield to Rural Special senior girls will make them a lot different.  Don't know many that will have an answer for her.     

Fleaflicker

BannerMountainMan

Timbo and Shirley battle it out, the two teams nobody said

thebigman3

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 15, 2018, 09:59:21 pm
Timbo and Shirley battle it out, the two teams nobody said
No kidding. Gimme shirley though.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: thebigman3 on February 15, 2018, 10:43:59 pm
No kidding. Gimme shirley though.
you better not lost to MVE, because concord is going to come out firing next game trust me

thebigman3

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 15, 2018, 10:48:26 pm
you better not lost to MVE, because concord is going to come out firing next game trust me
No matter the loser wether it be Guy or MVE tmr night which ever team plays Concord will be a tough 1rst round game. But how did Concord lose? Timbo play good defense? They play bad? maybe Concord went into the game thinking "It's Timbo we won't lose" and lost.

Catfish

Quote from: thebigman3 on February 15, 2018, 10:51:32 pm
No matter the loser wether it be Guy or MVE tmr night which ever team plays Concord will be a tough 1rst round game. But how did Concord lose? Timbo play good defense? They play bad? maybe Concord went into the game thinking "It's Timbo we won't lose" and lost.

I think this is a big part of it. When I was a high school athlete I was apart of something very similar. We were the WAY better team but went into the game thinking it was already won. Kids do that. They didn't shot well from what I was told. They will be a extremely hard out first round of region though. I'm pullin for them hard. Go Pirates!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Catfish on February 16, 2018, 10:39:39 am
I think this is a big part of it. When I was a high school athlete I was apart of something very similar. We were the WAY better team but went into the game thinking it was already won. Kids do that. They didn't shot well from what I was told. They will be a extremely hard out first round of region though. I'm pullin for them hard. Go Pirates!
A Concord/Guy first round would be a must see

riccoar

Concord didn't get smug.  Timbo just played better.  Concord is clearly a better team, but Timbo did do a good job of keeping two guys around 24.  But 24 probably had the worst shooting night of the season.  Timbo was in the bonus and missing FT's and Concord kept chipping away.  Had Cornett simply played straight up, they would have won that game.  Once Timbo got the rebound off the one and one they put it in the big kids hands and Concord had to foul cause they wasted time playing keep away.  The big kid for Timbo was the only one making FT's.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: riccoar on February 16, 2018, 11:29:05 am
Concord didn't get smug.  Timbo just played better.  Concord is clearly a better team, but Timbo did do a good job of keeping two guys around 24.  But 24 probably had the worst shooting night of the season.  Timbo was in the bonus and missing FT's and Concord kept chipping away.  Had Cornett simply played straight up, they would have won that game.  Once Timbo got the rebound off the one and one they put it in the big kids hands and Concord had to foul cause they wasted time playing keep away.  The big kid for Timbo was the only one making FT's.
I agree Concord got lucky Timbo was cold for most of the game. And missed FTs put em back in the game, if Timbo made their FTs it's a 20 point game

ZacAttack

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 16, 2018, 11:58:04 am
I agree Concord got lucky Timbo was cold for most of the game. And missed FTs put em back in the game, if Timbo made their FTs it's a 20 point game
I think Timbo took advantage of Concord's poor shooting night.  I believe Concord didn't hit a 3 until the 4th quarter.  And #24 had one of the worst games I've seen him play, probably worse than his game at Westside.  But give Timbo credit; they took advantage and made it happen. 

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: riccoar on February 16, 2018, 11:29:05 am

You sure must know some great coaches, like otherworldly good, if Crommett is so bad in your mind. You hammer on him all the time. I dunno if he dropped 40 on you in his playing days, or maybe he just won't let you in the West Side gym with the keys he has to the place, or maybe you just think he's better looking than you are. I don't really know, but dang, give it a rest. At the worst, he's a top 5 coach in the whole state in class a, don't know literally one person who'd argue that. So, maybe lay off the sauce. Coaching didn't lose that game.

BasketballNeverStops

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on February 16, 2018, 08:21:57 pm
You sure must know some great coaches, like otherworldly good, if Crommett is so bad in your mind. You hammer on him all the time. I dunno if he dropped 40 on you in his playing days, or maybe he just won't let you in the West Side gym with the keys he has to the place, or maybe you just think he's better looking than you are. I don't really know, but dang, give it a rest. At the worst, he's a top 5 coach in the whole state in class a, don't know literally one person who'd argue that. So, maybe lay off the sauce. Coaching didn't lose that game.
Thank you for this Eagle Mommy. Couldn't have said it better myself.

arstatechamp13

If it's Concord vs. Guy 1st round, that sucks. It throws such a monkey wrench in the brackets when good teams lose early. Makes it interesting, but also takes a good team out of the state tournament. Just a crying shame

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: arstatechamp13 on February 17, 2018, 08:37:04 am
If it's Concord vs. Guy 1st round, that sucks. It throws such a monkey wrench in the brackets when good teams lose early. Makes it interesting, but also takes a good team out of the state tournament. Just a crying shame
i guess that's what happens when you lose to Timbo...but yeah

BannerChaser95

Quote from: arstatechamp13 on February 17, 2018, 08:37:04 am
Possibly 2 good teams going home early. County Line gets Dierks at home for the first round of regionals. Also, this Guy/Concord matchup. But I suggest not finishing 3rd in district tournament because there's no excuse to lose to a team you've been beating by 20-30 all season.

riccoar

Quote from: Eagle_Mom_2 on February 16, 2018, 08:21:57 pm
He's not top 5.  I just see no need in using a tactic like that.  It's stupid.  Maybe if you were the underdog hanging onto a lead, but heck, Concord has run away with the league this year.  Like I said, his straight up approach is what got them back in the lead and then he got cute.  I've never heard someone call something that works, and then reversing course, as being genius.

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: riccoar on February 17, 2018, 11:49:27 am
He's not top 5.  I just see no need in using a tactic like that.  It's stupid.  Maybe if you were the underdog hanging onto a lead, but heck, Concord has run away with the league this year.  Like I said, his straight up approach is what got them back in the lead and then he got cute.  I've never heard someone call something that works, and then reversing course, as being genius.

You know what?? You've changed my mind! You're exactly right. If something works at any point throughout a game then you definitely have to do it to finish the game! There's no such thing as doing something different situationally to benefit your team.
It's like you either don't understand or are just ignoring that the flow of the game changes. Maybe he felt his team had exerted all they had in the tank to finally take a lead and didn't want to risk having to go pressure on defense again, didn't want to risk going to overtime...I think we should be a little more worried about issues closer to home rather than throwing stones, Mr Glass House.
Our girls have more than enough issues right now than for us to worry about a state champion winning coach that we haven't beaten in Sr high since I was a size 4.

arstatechamp13

I wasn't making excuses. Definitely shouldn't lose to Timbo if you don't want a bad draw. I'd just hate to see Concord, MVE, or Guy not make the state tournament. And to everyone's comments about Cornett's coaching tactics; lol. 

SackAttack

Quote from: riccoar on February 17, 2018, 11:49:27 am
Not top 5 seriously! There are coaches all over Arkansas calling you an idiot right now! And people like me that play a coach on daytime TV that think idiot may be playing nice! Question— What's you philosophy for defending the post?? How do you approach the high ball screen action? Motion Offense screening actions or spaced floor ISO and how do you teach those actions?? Practice structure offense to defense?? I'm waiting along with many others!!!!

riccoar

Dude, I get it. Your from Concord. You see no evil. At least at Westside we can call a spade a spade when we see it. Concord's star was shooting beyond poorly and still erased a double digit deficit by playing their game. Goes up by 1 and your coach pulls a 180 and calls the playground keep away. One missed one and one and Timbo never looked back. That was a mistake that cost you the game. Facts hurt I get it.

SackAttack

Quote from: riccoar on February 17, 2018, 03:43:40 pm
Dude, I get it. Your from Concord. You see no evil. At least at Westside we can call a spade a spade when we see it. Concord's star was shooting beyond poorly and still erased a double digit deficit by playing their game. Goes up by 1 and your coach pulls a 180 and calls the playground keep away. One missed one and one and Timbo never looked back. That was a mistake that cost you the game. Facts hurt I get it.
Answer my questions and we can part ways otherwise you are just a casual fan with an uninformed opinion!!

BasketballNeverStops

I'm just going to say this... Cornett hasn't coached girls in quite a while, and he just led this Concord team to their second consecutive district title, beating a Rural Special team that has all the pieces to seriously contend for a state title over the next 2-3 years. To be able to do what he's done with the girls program is impressive.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SackAttack on February 17, 2018, 03:19:20 pm
Not top 5 seriously! There are coaches all over Arkansas calling you an idiot right now! And people like me that play a coach on daytime TV that think idiot may be playing nice! Question— What's you philosophy for defending the post?? How do you approach the high ball screen action? Motion Offense screening actions or spaced floor ISO and how do you teach those actions?? Practice structure offense to defense?? I'm waiting along with many others!!!!

I'd do what hutchcraft would do, leave my best shooter on the other end of the court, tell the other guys to let them shoot and get the ball back to the Bird Man as quick as possible

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas