• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Transfer Rule

Started by beach bum, January 18, 2018, 12:52:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

Rumor is the NCAA is finally about to break down and allow student athletes to transfer one time without having to sit out. This will be across the board in all sports. I like this because in today's world coaches move here and there at the drop off a hat or they get fired and tossed aside in a heart beat. A key point brought up and I agree is this will help programs in that middle ground area of programs when kids from top echelon programs transfer to get more playing time and also create more parity in the long run.

beach bum

Also, scholarships are only promised on a year to year basis unlike back in the old days getting that 4 year scholarship. If the school has the right to cut ties with you on a year to year basis the player should be allowed that luxury once in their college playing career. I don't really see any negatives from this. It's 2018 after all....

thebigman3

Finally! I wish this rule would've been made long ago.. maybe now more athletes will transfer to Arkansas..

beach bum

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 18, 2018, 01:11:11 pm
Finally! I wish this rule would've been made long ago.. maybe now more athletes will transfer to Arkansas..

I agree, I think this rule will benefit schools exactly at the level of what Arkansas is as a program the most. I think it will take about 5 or 6 years to see the full impact if this rule goes through. Basketball is going to be the sport where one or two transfers one a season could vault a team from middle of the pack to conference contender in one year. That will be the sport it impacts the most I feel. Football it will be all about the quarterback position that gets all the headlines and publicity when they transfer.

bdubyab60

Reports out that it has been tabled until 2019

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 18, 2018, 07:21:06 pm
Reports out that it has been tabled until 2019

Does that mean this won't go into effect until after the 2019 academic year? As in like 18 months from now? I don't want to wait that long to see this lol....

Trojanbird

Quote from: beach bum on January 18, 2018, 12:57:59 pm
Also, scholarships are only promised on a year to year basis unlike back in the old days getting that 4 year scholarship. If the school has the right to cut ties with you on a year to year basis the player should be allowed that luxury once in their college playing career. I don't really see any negatives from this. It's 2018 after all....
Keep in mind that there are kids that will leave/transfer from here as well!

Trojanbird

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 18, 2018, 01:11:11 pm
Possibly if we can go find them.  Why didn't they just come here in the first place?

thebigman3

Quote from: Trojanbird on January 18, 2018, 10:11:55 pm
Possibly if we can go find them.  Why didn't they just come here in the first place?
You make good points, and I thought about that after I posted it. But I was more thinking of kids who go to smaller colleges and come up here. We seem to have luck with those guys weather it be Juco or smaller D1.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I would not be in favor of this at all.

*The worst year in college would have to be the freshman year.  A lot of people would transfer after that, especially if they have a junior in front of them and are going to have to sit another year.

* Also, coaches may start walking on eggshells worrying that if you coach a kid too hard, he can transfer anywhere he wants with no penalty.

* G5 schools may end up being a minor league system, especially in basketball.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on January 18, 2018, 07:25:04 pm
Does that mean this won't go into effect until after the 2019 academic year? As in like 18 months from now? I don't want to wait that long to see this lol....
Means they will revisit this next year. Jay Bilas seems to think it was all for show and to get a feel for what folks were thinking. Also said in his opinion it would never happen.

dc24

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on January 19, 2018, 03:53:29 pm

*The worst year in college would have to be the freshman year.  A lot of people would transfer after that, especially if they have a junior in front of them and are going to have to sit another year.

* Also, coaches may start walking on eggshells worrying that if you coach a kid too hard, he can transfer anywhere he wants with no penalty.

Bingo.

beach bum

January 20, 2018, 01:38:47 pm #12 Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:40:18 pm by beach bum

Who cares.... That rule is not meant for the coaches. Its meant for the players. If scholarships are technically only a year by year basis then the player should have the right to leave once without penalty. Coaches already have too much power. It's time to give the athletes who are the ones making the school money more power. Let's put people like you and me in helmets and pads and the product becomes pretty crummy real quick and no one would watch. It's the quality of the athletes that brings in money.  What if in the workforce we had stupid rules saying you get some kind of penalty when you change a job for a better opportunity for yourself on an individual level. This is 2018 and to pretend that the NCAA and individual schools are not corporate entities with the money they bring in is just laughable. Second, let's not kid ourselves because we know football and basketball is already a free minor league for professional teams anyway.

bdubyab60

I want to say I read somewhere that the SEC is 4 year scholarships.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on January 20, 2018, 01:38:47 pm
Who cares.... That rule is not meant for the coaches. Its meant for the players. If scholarships are technically only a year by year basis then the player should have the right to leave once without penalty. Coaches already have too much power. It's time to give the athletes who are the ones making the school money more power. Let's put people like you and me in helmets and pads and the product becomes pretty crummy real quick and no one would watch. It's the quality of the athletes that brings in money.  What if in the workforce we had stupid rules saying you get some kind of penalty when you change a job for a better opportunity for yourself on an individual level. This is 2018 and to pretend that the NCAA and individual schools are not corporate entities with the money they bring in is just laughable. Second, let's not kid ourselves because we know football and basketball is already a free minor league for professional teams anyway.

Non-compete clause's must be an unknown to you?

OB11

I agree that this rule has the potential to turn the G5 into a minor league system. Some kid with potential goes to an Ark St., Toledo, UCF, etc. lights it up his freshman year then he's on to a P5 school contributing the next year.

Jacketman65

If this goes through, it looks to me like there will be college coaches recruiting another colleges players!  I don't think that will go over very well.

Longfellow

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 30, 2018, 10:27:13 am
If this goes through, it looks to me like there will be college coaches recruiting another colleges players!  I don't think that will go over very well.
I'm sure they'll put rules in place to prevent this at least somewhat

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas