• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NFL Playoffs

Started by VHSCoach2, January 08, 2018, 08:38:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

January 08, 2018, 08:38:39 am Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:40:22 am by VHSCoach2
The Wild Card playoff games have come and gone, each presenting us with a different storyline throughout.

Tennessee 22, Kansas City 21: Kansas City roared to a 21-3 halftime lead, but losing tight end Travis Kelce ended up being the downfall of the Chiefs. That, and neglecting to hand the ball off to Kareem Hunt.  Tennessee's Marcus Mariota became just the second quarterback in NFL history to throw a touchdown pass...to himself (the other: Brad Johnson).  Next up, Tennessee travels to New England with hopes of a major upset of the Patriots.

Atlanta 26, LA Rams 13: Atlanta's stagnant offense reared its head at the beginning of this game.  After the first quarter of the Week 17 game against Carolina, the Falcons relied on Matt Bryant connecting on seven straight field goals (5 against Carolina, 2 against Los Angeles) for their points.  They finally broke the plane in the second quarter in this one.  The Rams would not go away and fought back to 13-10 before halftime, but that's a close as the Rams got.  Matt Bryant connected on two more field goals in the second half, and the Falcons broke the plane again to extend their lead for good.  Next up, the Falcons go to Philadelphia.  The Falcons are just the second 6-seed in NFL playoff history to be favored over a 1-seed (the other: Pittsburgh over Seattle in Super Bowl 40).

Jacksonville 10, Buffalo 3: This was the lowest-scoring Wild Card game in NFL history. A defensive battle with offenses that were nothing to write home about.  Buffalo managed to get to Jacksonville's one yard line late in the second quarter, but only ended up with a field goal. Jacksonville tied it at 3 right before halftime.  Jacksonville's touchdown game on a 4th-and-goal situation in the second half, and sealed the game with a Jalen Ramsey interception off of Buffalo back-up quarterback Nathan Peterman late in the 4th quarter.  Of interesting note: Jacksonville quarterback Blake Bortles ended with more rushing yards (88) than passing (87), and Buffalo back-up quarterback Nathan Peterman took four snaps (one was a fumble, one was intentional grounding, and one was the interception). Next up, Jacksonville travels to Pittsburgh, looking to upset the Steelers just as they did earlier in the season when they intercepted Ben Roethlisberger five times.

New Orleans 31, Carolina 26: The offensive shootout game of the Wild Card round came in the last game.  New Orleans powered out to a 21-9 halftime lead, but the Cam Newton-led Panthers wouldn't go away.  Strangely, Newton appeared to suffer a hit to the head on a sack, but never underwent the concussion testing on the sidelines and was back in on the Panthers' next series.  After his stinger, he brought the Panthers back from the brink to being down 31-26.  After a Saints punt, the Panthers had one last shot for the win, but their last drive was plagued by penalties and sacks, which gave the Saints the win.  Next up, the Saints travel to Minnesota to take on a Vikings team that beat them way back in Week 1.

For next week, my picks are the Falcons, Patriots, Steelers, and Vikings, although I would love to see the Titans and Jaguars pull the upsets on the AFC side of things.

beach bum

I told people weeks ago your Falcons would make the NFC title game with wins over a youthful Rams team and an Eagles team looking for an identity after the Wentz injury. If the Saints can pull an upset I will take the Falcons to win the whole Super Bowl. The Vikings are looking incredible late in the year though with their defense. I think the Falcons or Vikings are winning the Super Bowl.

VHSCoach2

beach bum

I'll be taking the winner of the Saints vs Vikings to beat the Eagles for sure.... How sad for you VHS. I feel for ya.

beach bum

Titans making the Patriots work for it at least early...

MDXPHD

January 14, 2018, 07:45:37 pm #5 Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:47:26 pm by MDXPHD
My Vikings came through with a huge win tonight! They're going for that home field super bowl appearance!

And the jags showed out. I want a keenum vs bortles super bowl!

VHSCoach2

As a Falcons fan, nothing provided me more joy this weekend than seeing the Saints lose on what is already being dubbed as the Minnesota Miracle. SKOL!

MDXPHD

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on January 14, 2018, 08:03:35 pm
As a Falcons fan, nothing provided me more joy this weekend than seeing the Saints lose on what is already being dubbed as the Minnesota Miracle. SKOL!

Minnesota miracle is great! I've also read where it's being called the "whif six." That poor safety will always be remembered for that.

Longfellow

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 15, 2018, 06:49:45 am
Minnesota miracle is great! I've also read where it's being called the "whif six." That poor safety will always be remembered for that.
As well he should. That was one of the worst displays of form tackling ever

RZback

It was a most sad attempt at a tackle.  Should have been an easy play, until he ducked his head and dipped his shoulder and whiff.......  It's the way of a lot of NFL DB's, go low and try to knock them down rather than tackle by locking up an taking them down.  Oh well, that will be remembered for a while.  High school kids ought to watch that clip in training camp.

thebigman3

I'm going to once again count out the jags and eagles and say this years Superbowl you'll see the Vikings to be the first ever team to play in the Super Bowl at home up against the Patriots and the great duo of Tom and Bill.

MDXPHD

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 19, 2018, 10:16:41 am
I'm going to once again count out the jags and eagles and say this years Superbowl you'll see the Vikings to be the first ever team to play in the Super Bowl at home up against the Patriots and the great duo of Tom and Bill.

I hope the Vikings make it and I don't care who else is on the other side!

Longfellow

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 21, 2018, 09:05:07 am
I hope the Vikings make it and I don't care who else is on the other side!
If New England wins, I want the Eagles. If Jacksonville beats us, I want the Vikings to make it

MDXPHD

Quote from: Longfellow on January 21, 2018, 10:57:57 am
If New England wins, I want the Eagles. If Jacksonville beats us, I want the Vikings to make it

I wouldn't want to play the vikes right now either ;D

VHSCoach2

Tony Romo has finally made it to a Conference Championship Game.

Longfellow

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on January 21, 2018, 02:01:40 pm
Hah! Classic

MDXPHD

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on January 21, 2018, 02:01:40 pm

He was a great commentator during the regular season..I hope he doesn't struggle because of the playoffs

Longfellow

Captain Comeback does it again!! Amendola is a stone cold killer in the playoffs.

Side note: anyone hear Romo make all those weird noises?

Trojanbird

Pats we're right on schedule once again
How about Harrison (from the Steelers) down the stretch?   Steelers can go throw up!!

AGAIN!

beach bum

VHSCoach2

The AFC has been represented by the Patriots (10), Broncos (8), or Steelers (8) in 26 out of 52 Super Bowls.

beach bum

Eagles could not have executed any better last night....

AirWarren

And the halftime show was not Kendrick Lamar. Man, much better.

beach bum

I noticed halftime seemed about 10 or so minutes shorter too than most Super Bowls.... I loved that too. The Eagles had a few drives that ate some clock so that was a quick Super Bowl all considering 96 passes were thrown combined.

thebigman3

When the Patriots were on the the opposing goal line at the end of the game with a minute left.. WHY DID BRADY NOT JUST KEEP HITTING THE DUMP PASS TO GRONK?!!? It was open twice and he kept trying to go deep. Then when he finally hit it the got 2 first downs. Just don't understand.

RZback

Quote from: AirWarren on February 05, 2018, 12:14:30 pm
And the halftime show was not Kendrick Lamar. Man, much better.

Who was that guy and what was he yelling?   Super bowl halftimes are traditionally bad if you are over  30.

BigLion10

Looks like Dallas has had enough of Dez, cut him today. I honestly didn't think Jerry had it in him lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas