• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wrestling

Started by 1-Adam-12, January 02, 2018, 09:54:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1-Adam-12

January 02, 2018, 09:54:59 pm Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:16:24 pm by VHSCoach2
Ah, 2018, where every day is Rusev Day.  I don't know why but that has really taken off.

So we've already seen a mini-Bullet Club reunion (though WWE forbids the use of that name) when Finn chose Gallows and Anderson for his partners.

What would you like to see happen in '18?  For me, I would like to see Finn have that Universal Championship match he is still owed from back in '16. 

I would also like to see some of the Superstars booked way better than they were in '17 (Finn, Bayley, Sasha Banks, Nakamura, Becky Lynch to name several).

Asuka will claim the Raw Women's Championship some time this year, that is a given.  But will somebody (Paige, maybe) then take it from her?

I would like to see Samoa Joe have a title run.  Or two.  Maybe get both the IC and Universal titles before the year is out.  And let AJ Styles hold the WWE belt for as long as possible. 

And I would love to see Jinder Mahal fade back into the obscurity from whence he came.

What say you?

VHSCoach2

For things coming up soon, I'd like to see Becky Lynch win the first-ever Women's Royal Rumble Match. With the announcement that there will be 30 women in the match, some returnees that I would like to see participate in it are Kaitlyn, Eve Torres, Beth Phoenix, Victoria, Molly Holly, Lita, an Trish Stratus. I believe the most likely of those would be Beth and Kaitlyn.

For the men, as long as Brock Lesnar loses the Universal Championship soon, I'll be alright.

I hope AJ Styles beats CM Punk's 434-day reign with the WWE Championship (not likely).

I hope the Cruiserweights start to mingle more with the heavyweights, as started on Raw on Monday.

Additionally, the first two teams for the Mixed Match Challenge have been named: Alexa Bliss will team with Braun Strowman and Charlotte Flair will team with Bobby Roode.

1-Adam-12

January 03, 2018, 09:38:33 pm #2 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:42:31 pm by 1-Adam-12
I would be good with Becky winning the women's RR.  I will be rooting for Bayley though.

Trish Stratus was one of my favorites back in the day.  I don't know if she would come back for this, but it would be neat.

I have already heard rumors that Kaitlyn is coming back.  I also look for possible main roster debuts from current NXT stars Peyton Royce, Billie Kay, Nikki Cross and possibly Kairi Sane.

I too am a little tired of Lesnar's part-time status.  But Paul Heyman.  Man can he sell.

And so far, I'm 2/2 on predicting who's with who on the Mixed Match Challenge.

They will have to find a replacement for Enzo Amore, due to the fact he caught the flu.  Will they go with another Cruiserweight, or perhaps someone like Heath Slater may get a chance.

VHSCoach2

Just for the comedy, they should replace Enzo Amore with Curt Hawkins and then pair Hawkins with Asuka.

Hawkins' losing streak and Asuka's winning streak on the line in the same match. Which one gives?

VHSCoach2

I just woke up after staying up into the wee hours of the morning to watch Wrestle Kingdom 12 (it started at 1 AM).

My goodness, what a show!  Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho delivered a great 35-minute match.  Admittedly, I don't follow Japanese wrestling that closely and only subscribed to New Japan World for this match, but I'm keeping my subscription and will follow NJPW more closely from now on.

VHSCoach2

Two more teams have been announced for the Mixed Match Challenge:

Sasha Banks and Finn Balor, Lana and Rusev.

1-Adam-12

Makes me 3/4. Got Rusev and Lana right but had Finn with Bayley.

Finn/Sasha will be a good team too however.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on January 03, 2018, 11:20:15 pm
Just for the comedy, they should replace Enzo Amore with Curt Hawkins and then pair Hawkins with Asuka.

Hawkins' losing streak and Asuka's winning streak on the line in the same match. Which one gives?

Hawkins is being considered, but most now think it will be Seth Rollins.

VHSCoach2

And the fifth team for the Mixed Match Challenge is...

Jimmy Uso and Naomi.

VHSCoach2

And the sixth team for the Mixed Match Challenge is...

Nia Jax and Apollo Crews.

One has to believe that Crews is Enzo Amore's replacement.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on January 05, 2018, 03:40:33 pm
And the sixth team for the Mixed Match Challenge is...

Nia Jax and Apollo Crews.

One has to believe that Crews is Enzo Amore's replacement.

Yes, that is Enzo's replacement.  So I'm going to count that as correct for me, as was Naomi and Jimmy. 

5-for-6 halfway home, though I know I'll miss another when Bayley's partner is announced.

VHSCoach2

The seventh team for the Mixed Match Challenge is...

Asuka and The Miz.

VHSCoach2

And the eighth team...

...Alicia Fox and Goldust.

1-Adam-12

January 08, 2018, 09:53:36 pm #13 Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:57:16 pm by 1-Adam-12
Just announced: The winner of a fan vote on Facebook between Samoa Joe, Elias, and Jason Jordan will partner with Bayley in the Mixed Match Challenge.

With all due respect, come on Joe.

Longfellow

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on January 08, 2018, 09:53:36 pm
Just announced: The winner of a fan vote on Facebook between Samoa Joe, Elias, and Jason Jordan will partner with Bayley in the Mixed Match Challenge.

With all due respect, come on Joe.
I was a big fan of Samoa Joe when he was with Impact. It's nice to see him doing well in the WWE

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Longfellow on January 09, 2018, 12:40:02 am
I was a big fan of Samoa Joe when he was with Impact. It’s nice to see him doing well in the WWE

He has become one of my favorites too.

VHSCoach2

The interesting thing about Samoa Joe was that when he was signed to NXT, he was told to never expect to leave NXT for the main roster, as Vince McMahon was not a fan of his.  Then Vince saw his body of work in NXT and obviously changed his mind.

VHSCoach2

And the last Raw team for the Mixed Match has been announced...

Samoa Joe won the fan vote to be Bayley's partner.  However, Joe was injured on Raw last night and will not compete in the MMC.  Instead, Elias will partner up with Bayley.

1-Adam-12

January 09, 2018, 11:16:01 am #18 Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:03:41 pm by 1-Adam-12
Dang.

Elias is pretty capable though. I'm kinda getting used to him. Just wish Bray Wyatt would be put in his place by Matt Hardy and just go away.

Looks like Enzo got hurt too.

VHSCoach2

Smackdown's next team for the Mixed Match Challenge is Natalya and Shinsuke Nakamura.

1-Adam-12

January 09, 2018, 10:50:26 pm #20 Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:54:08 pm by 1-Adam-12
And on SD Live it was announced that Becky Lynch would pair with Sami Zayn.

That leaves Carmella awaiting which New Day member will be voted in.

Oh, and this, from December 13, my predictions for the SD Live teams.

SD Live: Bobby Roode/Charlotte Flair; Sami Zayn/Becky Lynch; Jimmy Uso/Naomi; New Day member/Carmella; Shinsuke/Natalya; Rusev/Lana.

;D

1-Adam-12

The fans have voted Big E as Carmella's partner.

Let the matches begin!

1-Adam-12

Here are the first round matches in the MMC:

Finn/Sasha vs. Shinsuke/Natalya

Miz/Asuka vs. Big E/Carmella

Braun/Alexa vs. Zayn/Lynch

Goldust/Alicia Fox vs. Jimmy Uso/Naomi

Elias/Bayley vs. Rusev/Lana

Crews/Jax vs. Roode/Flair

1-Adam-12

Oh, my.

Multiple reports are saying Paige is going to be forced into retirement. Apparently WWE officials will not clear her for in ring competition.

Terrible news for her and her fan base if this is true.

To review, Paige's injury happened at a house show when Sasha Banks kicked her in the back. It was completely accidental and given Paige's previous medical history she would have been more susceptible.

Not a good day for the WWE.

VHSCoach2

The bracket for the First Round of the Mixed Match Challenge has been released. My picks are bolded

Finn Balor and Sasha Banks vs. Shinsuke Nakamura and Natalya
The Miz and Asuka vs. Big E and Carmella
Braun Strowman and Alexa Bliss vs. Sami Zayn and Becky Lynch
Goldust and Alicia Fox vs. Jimmy Uso and Naomi
Elias and Bayley vs. Rusev and Lana
Apollo Crews and Nia Jax vs. Bobby Roode and Charlotte Flair

My picks for the Quarterfinals:
Finn Balor and Sasha Banks vs. Big E and Carmella
Braun Strowman and Alexa Bliss vs. Jimmy Uso and Naomi
Elias and Bayley vs. Bobby Roode and Charlotte Flair

And for the Semifinals:
Finn Balor and Sasha Banks vs. Braun Strowman and Alexa Bliss
Bobby Roode and Charlotte Flair vs. Sami Zayn and Becky Lynch (voted back into the Tournament by the fans)

And for the finals:
Finn Balor and Sasha Banks vs. Bobby Roode and Charlotte Flair

jbtiger73

I honestly think that the Miz and Auska are going to win it all. They're probably going to capitalize on the The Miz's accolades outside WWE. And Auska's undefeated streak. And possible wrestlemania match.

bleudog

VHSCoach2

Jey Uso was arrested for DWI in Texas following the Smackdown house show on Sunday night.

I guess you could say that Uso got taken to the penitentiary. 

1-Adam-12

I actually knew a little something about one of the jobbers that The Revival took care of Monday on Raw.

The one wearing the leggings is Bayley's fiancé. He's an indie wrestler from Austin and the other guy is his regular tag partner.

Other than the last match and Braun's antics, pretty dull show overall.

1-Adam-12

And we have a new United States Champion!

It's a Glorious time as Bobby Roode wins the tournament over Jinder Mahal.

VHSCoach2

The 25th Anniversary of Raw show was...terrible, and that's putting it nicely.  The highlights were the Austin/McMahons segment, the Jericho/Elias segment, and Elias looking like an absolute star.

Also, if the accusations against Enzo Amore are true (and, honestly, I hope they are not), then goodbye Enzo. Permanently, and not just temporarily like his current suspension.

VHSCoach2

January 23, 2018, 01:10:15 pm #31 Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:23:50 pm by VHSCoach2
And now it has come across the wire that WWE has fired Enzo Amore.

His release, while charges have not been pressed against him, comes as a result of him "withholding legal proceedings" that have been ongoing since the incident in October. If he had told WWE that he was under investigation back then, he would have been suspended long ago. Instead, he represented the company while being under investigation and did not mention a word of it. This is all on Enzo, not WWE.

1-Adam-12

January 23, 2018, 10:41:46 pm #32 Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:51:29 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on January 23, 2018, 10:04:02 am
The 25th Anniversary of Raw show was...terrible, and that's putting it nicely.  The highlights were the Austin/McMahons segment, the Jericho/Elias segment, and Elias looking like an absolute star.

Also, if the accusations against Enzo Amore are true (and, honestly, I hope they are not), then goodbye Enzo. Permanently, and not just temporarily like his current suspension.

Wow, Elias was really put over.  I agree.  I was at a basketball game and missed about the first hour.  Seemed to go downhill very fast after the Miz-Reigns match. Though I really liked it when they brought out the ones who made it what it was.

Trish Stratus still got it.

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on January 23, 2018, 01:10:15 pm
And now it has come across the wire that WWE has fired Enzo Amore.

His release, while charges have not been pressed against him, comes as a result of him "withholding legal proceedings" that have been ongoing since the incident in October. If he had told WWE that he was under investigation back then, he would have been suspended long ago. Instead, he represented the company while being under investigation and did not mention a word of it. This is all on Enzo, not WWE.

Wow.  Enzo, whether or not these allegations are true, just threw away the best gig he ever had.

This means likely yet another Cruiserweight Tournament, plus they'll have to find another storyline for Nia Jax, and also for Big Cass when he returns.

VHSCoach2

The final card for NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia:

1) Kassius Ohno vs. The Velveteen Dream

2) Extreme Rules Match: Adam Cole vs. Aleister Black

3) NXT Tag Team Championship Match: Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly vs. The Authors of Pain

4) NXT Women's Championship Match: Ember Moon vs. Shayne Baszler

5) NXT Championship Match: Andrade "Cien" Almas vs. Johnny Gargano

My predictions:

The Velveteen Dream
Aleister Black
Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly
Shayna Baszler
Andrade "Cien" Almas

Additional predictions: The Authors of Pain move on to the main roster, Tommaso Ciampa returns to cost Gargano the match, and Black vs. Cole will be the match of the entire weekend.

VHSCoach2

The final card for the Royal Rumble:

1) Women's Royal Rumble Match
Naomi, Asuka, Ruby Riott, Natalya, Sasha Banks, Bayley, Mandy Rose, Sonya Deville, Carmella, Tamina, Lana, Liv Morgan, Sarah Logan, Mickie James, Nia Jax, Becky Lynch, Alicia Fox, and Dana Brooke are confirmed.

2) WWE Raw Tag Team Championship Match: Jason Jordan and Seth Rollins vs. The Bar

3) WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship Two-Out-of-Three Falls Match: The Usos vs. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin

4) WWE Championship Handicap Match: AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn

5) WWE Universal Championship Triple Threat Match: Brock Lesnar vs. Braun Strowman vs. Kane

6) Royal Rumble Match
Elias, Randy Orton, Shinsuke Nakamura, John Cena, Finn Balor, Baron Corbin, Matt Hardy, Bray Wyatt, Rusev, Aiden English, Apollo Crews, Titus O'Neil, The Miz, Tye Dillinger, Big E, Kofi Kingston, and Xavier Woods are confirmed.

My predictions:
Becky Lynch
Jason Jordan and Seth Rollins
Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin
AJ Styles
Brock Lesnar
Shinsuke Nakamura

Additional predictions:
12 women to fill the Women's Royal Rumble spots: Trish Stratus, Kelly Kelly, Kaitlyn, Lita, Eve Torres, Torrie Wilson, Jacqueline, Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, Molly Holly, Victoria, and Beth Phoenix

13 men to fill the Royal Rumble spots: Roman Reigns, Bobby Roode, Jinder Mahal, Curt Hawkins, Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel, Mojo Rawley, Zack Ryder, Tyler Breeze, Fandango, Cedric Alexander, Braun Strowman, and Daniel Bryan.

BigLion10

Wish the Women's Rumble was right before the men's instead of first

VHSCoach2

Quote from: BigLion10 on January 26, 2018, 09:58:38 am
Wish the Women's Rumble was right before the men's instead of first

It could be.  I just typed them up in the order that I think they will happen on the show.

VHSCoach2

January 26, 2018, 12:12:38 pm #37 Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:38:19 pm by VHSCoach2
Ah, it appears another match has been added to the Royal Rumble card.

Bobby Roode has issued an open challenge for his United States Championship. The match will happen on the pre-show, so hopefully Roode will still enter the Rumble Match.

Also added to the preshow is a tag team match between Gallows and Anderson and The Revival.

Also, a Six-Man Tag featuring Kalisto, Lince Dorado, and Gran Metalik vs. TJP, Gentleman Jack Gallagher, and Drew Gulak.

1-Adam-12

January 26, 2018, 09:28:47 pm #38 Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:37:30 pm by 1-Adam-12
Roman Reigns has been added to the Men's Royal Rumble.

I have a feeling Heath Slater and Rhyno will be as well.

Don't be surprised to see Kairi Sane and Nikki Cross from NXT in the women's match.

VHSCoach2

Once again, NXT delivers. TakeOver: Philadelphia ranged from good to absolutely fantastic and one match definitely deserves a 5-star rating from Dave Meltzer.

In terms of enjoyment for me:

1) Andrade "Cien" Almas vs. Johnny Gargano (this should get 5 stars from Meltzer)
2) Aleister Black vs. Adam Cole
3) Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly vs. The Authors of Pain
4) The Velveteen Dream vs. Kassius Ohno
5) Ember Moon vs. Shayna Baszler

VHSCoach2

WWE caps off a solid weekend with a very enjoyable Royal Rumble event. In terms of enjoyment for me:

1) Men's Royal Rumble Match
2) Women's Royal Rumble Match
3) The Usos vs. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin
4) AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn
5) Brock Lesnar vs. Braun Strowman vs. Kane
6) Kalisto, Gran Metalik, and Lince Dorado vs. TJP, Gentleman Jack Gallagher, and Drew Gulak
7) The Revival vs. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson
8. The Bar vs. Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan
9) Bobby Roode vs. Mojo Rawley

And, hello, Ronda Rousey!

1-Adam-12

Loved seeing all the Women's Legends that came back.  Michelle McCool came in and cleaned house for a while.

I'm good with the winners of the two Rumbles; was pleasantly surprised by Nakamura's win.  Asuka's I expected.

The one who carried that Women's Rumble was doubtless Sasha Banks.  I think we saw the beginnings of her long-awaited heel turn.  What convinced me was how ruthlessly she tossed Bayley out, though there were signs even before that.

Though Rousey joining up will bring even more attention to the women, I have a bit of a problem with her being handed a title shot at Mania without lifting a finger.  I say make her go through NXT first as Shayna Baszler is doing.

I have a feeling she will go after Charlotte Flair and therefore be on SmackDown or be a free agent like Cena. If she goes to Raw, every other woman from Bayley down will probably be buried.

There was some controversy surrounding Styles vs. KO/Zayn, which I'm sure will be addressed in the coming weeks.

BigLion10

Wow I had no idea I would be seeing Ronda Rousey as a full time wrestler she just signed a WWE contract so the women's division had just took a step up for sure

Longfellow

Quote from: BigLion10 on January 28, 2018, 11:19:08 pm
Wow I had no idea I would be seeing Ronda Rousey as a full time wrestler she just signed a WWE contract so the women's division had just took a step up for sure
She got kicked in the face so hard she had to reevaluate her career choices

BigLion10

Just saw where the Coach Johnathon Coachman has signed a full-time contract and will be joining the Raw announce team starting tonight

VHSCoach2

The Dudley Boyz have been announced for the 2018 Hall of Fame Class. They join Goldberg, who headlines the Class.

VHSCoach2

Dave Meltzer did, indeed, give Andrade "Cien" Almas vs. Johnny Gargano a 5-star rating. It's WWE's first 5-star match since CM Punk vs. John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011.

1-Adam-12

Watched the highlights of that match and indeed it was spectacular. 

NXT just has the main roster beat.  That is all. 

Three of the best matches I've ever seen came from NXT:  Almas/Gargano on this one, Asuka/Ember Moon at Brooklyn 3, and Bayley/Sasha at Brooklyn 1.

1-Adam-12

Elimination Chamber is the next PPV and it is Raw exclusive.

Three matches so far:

Men's Elimination Chamber match for a shot at the Universal Championship:
Elias vs. John Cena vs. Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns vs. The Miz vs. TBA (either Finn Balor, Bray Wyatt, Matt Hardy or Apollo Crews)

First ever Women's Elimination Chamber match for the Raw Women's Championship:
Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Mandy Rose vs. Sonya Deville vs. Mickie James

Asuka vs. Nia Jax (If Nia wins she is added to the Raw Women's Championship match at WrestleMania).

VHSCoach2

Dolph Ziggler, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Baron Corbin, Shinsuke Nakamura.

They are all currently the #1 Contender for the WWE Championship.

Something tells me WWE is not planning on giving us AJ Styles vs. Shinsuke Nakamura one-on-one at WrestleMania.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas