• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meeting PA for the 1st time...

Started by Go Postal, November 30, 2017, 08:14:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

I was curious of when posters on fearlessfriday first encountered the Bruins or Lady Bruins in any sport.  The people around Central conference have seen them quite a lot, but before live streaming, those of us that don't live in that area don't get to watch them as often.  Where were you and when?  Remember this can be in any sport.

My 1st time for the Bruins was in my son's Freshman year at Harrison during the Semi final game of the 2007 State Soccer Championship.  The Goblins were working towards their 6-peat State trophy and the Bruins won by 1 in a muddy, wet, Noah's Ark deluge on real grass pitch.  I'm not sure when I saw the Lady Bruins, but I see them quite often in the same sport because they usually make it pretty far in the playoffs.

Deuceswild

Mine would have to be soccer as well, Girls soccer Championship game 2014. Our girls were too much for them that year and 2016 but they nudged us out of the Semi's in 2016. Very well coached teams in every sport I'm sure. My daughter actually played against the girls years prior in club soccer so we kind of knew what to expect but they have some athletes in every sport and know how to win. But can also be beat. Soccer is our big rivalry with PA, because both teams are generally in the mix when it matters.

walkingguy72396

The first time they came to Wynne might of been 2006.  That was one heck of a football game.

Even then making a mental error against them cost. 

It seemed to me that the officials were timid in calling the game.  I swear on a 4th down play that receivers foot came down clearly out of bounds.  One of the coaches saw it also.  Just do not see one of the Generals coaches give an official an ear full like that.

Even when you think the QB is in trouble, Kelley has it all drawn up, a receiver with a blocking back ready.

Discipline and being prepared is worth 14 or more points in High School Football.  PA proves that game in and game out.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on November 30, 2017, 09:36:28 am
The first time they came to Wynne might of been 2006.  That was one heck of a football game.

Even then making a mental error against them cost. 

It seemed to me that the officials were timid in calling the game.  I swear on a 4th down play that receivers foot came down clearly out of bounds.  One of the coaches saw it also.  Just do not see one of the Generals coaches give an official an ear full like that.

Even when you think the QB is in trouble, Kelley has it all drawn up, a receiver with a blocking back ready.

Discipline and being prepared is worth 14 or more points in High School Football.  PA proves that game in and game out.

One of the best and most exciting high school games I've seen.

The Future

2006 football state championship was the first time actually seeing them.
Had heard of them some before that but not much.

Haven't seen them in any other sport.

nomorewhining

2001 quarterfinals...."touchdown" Thomas Thrash with his national record 77 TD passes in a season, got shut down and beaten at home by Dollarway.

tmycjy

The first time I ever reamber p.a. Was a friend of mine who had to play them and got killed by them but he played for another school around central Arkansas  and here told me that u have to be really good to knock them off here never said no could not do it but u have to be on top of your game to do it that the first time I reamber them the first time I seen them were highlight from the news around Little Rock and first time I seem them live was 2006 don Campbell last year and wynne  match wits with Pulaski academy we did thing in that game that p.a. Didn't want to do for there game plain sorry thing was Wynne lost 43-42

JessieP

November 30, 2017, 01:18:39 pm #7 Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:21:43 pm by JessieP
My first ever trip to PA was a few years back for the semi's. I was standing in line at the snack bar and PA Dad came over and pushed me down, my wallet fell out. He and Maynard were playing "keep away" with it until I started crying. They kicked me down the hill back over to the visitors side. Actually my first experience was a 180 degree difference then what I expected. The fans were warm and welcoming, everyone was polite and friendly. Very enjoyable experience, excluding the score of course, absolutely nothing like what I expected. I have been to "rich schools" before and found the people proved white trash has nothing to do with money. PA was the Polar opposite of that, really good people there. 

Red Devil Alum

I first went to PA when my child was 3 and we were looking for a school. Never left.

Overdahill

When we moved from Texas I started my son (2nd grade) and daughter (4th grade) at PA for academic purposes figuring the boy would transfer to LR Central in 9th grade to play football. The only Arkansas HS football teams I had any knowledge of from Texas at the time were LR Central and Pine Bluff. Needless to say, after he also got "schooled" in the PA system starting in 5th grade neither he (nor I) had any interest in him transferring to Central in 9th grade. :D  The academics work out well for both kids as they really connected with both coaches and teachers there. It was worth the financial sacrifice. I did miss the Texas high school football playoffs at Texas Stadium every year though :'(

Maynard G Krebs

I was born at Rector Field one very cold December morning.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 30, 2017, 03:46:48 pm
Was it actually Rector Field back then, or just open prairie with feral cattle roaming around?   ;D

Overdahill

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 30, 2017, 03:46:48 pm

I'm going to try walk around this cow pie  ;D

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on November 30, 2017, 05:53:18 pm
Was it actually Rector Field back then, or just open prairie with feral cattle roaming around?   ;D

Vague recollections of some cattle, the family donkey and three wise guys ;)

Kazimierz

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on November 30, 2017, 05:53:18 pm

Oh man.... that field used to be terrible. Strap in boys and girls for some time travel---back to the early 90's.

I remember watching Morgan Keyes play for the Bruins as a 1-3 grader. Morgan was the only player from the 90s that I ever remember becoming a Razorback (And I don't remember him playing fullback that much). PA was okay in those years. We lost a lot.... won a few games. We were more-or-less competitive in the 5AA and 5AAA. Our rival was still CAC but the Beebe game was always big - that was probably the nastiest game of the season (I think it even has it's own FF thread). We seemed to win conference every other year for several years... but never made it past Turkey Day in the playoffs.

When I played at PA 99-02, the field was still mostly hard dirt, rock, and regret. I never played under KK as head coach (he was still OC) but after they won State in 2003, money really started coming in.

Honestly, when I was growing up... we were told that PA was an aspiring Soccer/Volleyball/Baseball/Basketball school. We weren't a football school.

Crazy how times change.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 30, 2017, 06:33:32 pm

+100

Go Postal

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 30, 2017, 06:33:32 pm
So sometime after the flood.

Yellowcake

True story,  and forgive me if I have shared it with you before.  I love HS football. In the 90s and early 2000's, I didn't have kids in school and I went to PA home games for the specific purpose of rooting against them. I was an absolute hater. Those were my first experiences with PA football.

Then came kids and a time to find a school. We researched and concluded PA was the best place for them to go academically. It was painful and I had to eat a lot of crow. I was able to do a 180 once I met people and learned about why the football teams were  winning. It wasn't because of all those things I thought, it was because....here it comes.....they were the hardest working kids I had ever seen in high school football. I learned to respect what they did, not hate it. So that made the transition palatable. I have seen these kids grow up and have been watching them all play football since 5th grade. I love them all and I love their families. And, academically, it was hands down the greatest decision for my kids.

So when opposing teams and fans come in, I can see the hate. And I get it. I really do. I just wish I could transfer my experience to them. Let folks know that all the white noise out there about PA isn't the truth. It's a great place with great people and they play great football.

And now my daughter is a Sophie on the HS basketball team. Never thought I could be passionate about HS basketball, and certainly not girls' hoops. But here I am.....

MDXPHD

Quote from: Yellowcake on November 30, 2017, 09:53:03 pm
True story,  and forgive me if I have shared it with you before.  I love HS football. In the 90s and early 2000's, I didn't have kids in school and I went to PA home games for the specific purpose of rooting against them. I was an absolute hater. Those were my first experiences with PA football.

Then came kids and a time to find a school. We researched and concluded PA was the best place for them to go academically. It was painful and I had to eat a lot of crow. I was able to do a 180 once I met people and learned about why the football teams were  winning. It wasn't because of all those things I thought, it was because....here it comes.....they were the hardest working kids I had ever seen in high school football. I learned to respect what they did, not hate it. So that made the transition palatable. I have seen these kids grow up and have been watching them all play football since 5th grade. I love them all and I love their families. And, academically, it was hands down the greatest decision for my kids.

So when opposing teams and fans come in, I can see the hate. And I get it. I really do. I just wish I could transfer my experience to them. Let folks know that all the white noise out there about PA isn't the truth. It's a great place with great people and they play great football.

And now my daughter is a Sophie on the HS basketball team. Never thought I could be passionate about HS basketball, and certainly not girls' hoops. But here I am.....

See you on the basketball boards! I would like for Batesville and PA girls to play this season.

Deuceswild

I had the same kind of hate when my daughter played but it was no other reason than they were good at what they do. Then came the football side with my son and last year i was a hater til i saw them in the Champ Game. Some seriously well coached kids. Talent comes from ambition of a full squad. This year i joined the bandwagon early and have enjoyed the show. I was grateful we got the opportunity to play them. Our kids don't get that kind of exposure very often but many of them enjoyed it even though it was a loss. It was still memorable. I plan on being there tomorrow too as long as things pan out in the day time. I still think they are very beatable but most teams only get one shot, McMuffins on the other hand, get to fix what they did wrong and give it another shot, 30 other teams would love to be in their McShoes tomorrow night. Should be entertainment at its finest.

PA Bruin Fan

OMG, did someone else say they work hard?  Surely not it's a private school!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on December 01, 2017, 10:40:55 pm
OMG, did someone else say they work hard?  Surely not it's a private school!

No, it is coming from a PA fan.

Nonetheless, nobody argues that they don't work hard. Stop being a child.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 01, 2017, 11:08:41 pm

Childhood was the best time of my life.  Why quit?

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 01, 2017, 11:10:47 pm
Childhood was the best time of my life.  Why quit?

You were a lucky child then!

Well, maybe keep the spirit of the child but mature into an adult in certain situations. That's a better policy maybe.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 01, 2017, 11:11:58 pm
You were a lucky child then!

Well, maybe keep the spirit of the child but mature into an adult in certain situations. That's a better policy maybe.

As a mature adult with yet a childlike spirit, I respectfully suggest you take your own advice😀

MDXPHD

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 02, 2017, 12:00:37 am
As a mature adult with yet a childlike spirit, I respectfully suggest you take your own advice😀

Just because you insert respectfully inside a statement doesnt mean it's respectful!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 02, 2017, 12:00:37 am

N2DEEP

1990 5A-South

Magnet Cove played both PA and CAC. The first time we had heard about private schools and recruiting. PA had brought in Dante Womack for football and Steve Johnson (I think that was his name) in basketball. Dante was an rear and Steve was very respectful.

Womack had run the opening kick back on us, but I remember they were not very big size wise, but played tough. I remember the long snapper mouthing after a touchdown and we mowed him over on the extra point.

Ahh the good old days... :)

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 01, 2017, 11:08:41 pm

Just a little bit of sarcasm.  Calm down

The_Pioneer

A few years ago, a kid delivered a pizza to my house.  I had to give him a tip to leave.  He stuck it inside the brim of his PA cap as he walked to his car.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: The_Pioneer on December 02, 2017, 01:52:42 pm
A few years ago, a kid delivered a pizza to my house.  I had to give him a tip to leave.  He stuck it inside the brim of his PA cap as he walked to his car.

Smart kid😏

Overdahill

Quote from: The_Pioneer on December 02, 2017, 01:52:42 pm

No way you left him a tip ;D

JessieP

Are we starting with the old college jokes? I guess you could apply them to high schools. How do you get a PA grad off your front porch? pay for the pizza.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: N2DEEP on December 02, 2017, 07:57:31 am
1990 5A-South

Magnet Cove played both PA and CAC. The first time we had heard about private schools and recruiting. PA had brought in Dante Womack for football and Steve Johnson (I think that was his name) in basketball. Dante was an rear and Steve was very respectful.

Womack had run the opening kick back on us, but I remember they were not very big size wise, but played tough. I remember the long snapper mouthing after a touchdown and we mowed him over on the extra point.

Ahh the good old days... :)

Was this the game where SR30 sported brown bottom pants?

PA Dad

My daughter started at PA in the third grade in 2005.  The first football game I attended was the GW/PA championship game in 06.  That may  be the best high school game I've ever watched.  I've been hooked ever since.

RazorDad

Several years ago we moved to West Little Rock and, after researching schools in the area, decided the best fit for my son would be either PA or LRCA.

We went to PA for a tour and when we arrived, our tour guide started the tour with a visit to show off how great the football team was. She asked my son, "Do you play football?"  My son answered, "No, I play soccer."  Out tour guide paused and said, "Oh... OK," and proceeded with the tour at a quickened pace.

Needless to say, we ended up at LRCA.  We were later told by a former PA soccer coach that athletes who play football were "discouraged" from playing soccer, so for our son the choice was correct.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: RazorDad on December 03, 2017, 11:35:57 am
Several years ago we moved to West Little Rock and, after researching schools in the area, decided the best fit for my son would be either PA or LRCA.

We went to PA for a tour and when we arrived, our tour guide started the tour with a visit to show off how great the football team was. She asked my son, "Do you play football?"  My son answered, "No, I play soccer."  Out tour guide paused and said, "Oh... OK," and proceeded with the tour at a quickened pace.

Needless to say, we ended up at LRCA.  We were later told by a former PA soccer coach that athletes who play football were "discouraged" from playing soccer, so for our son the choice was correct.

LRCA is a great school and we originally intended on sending our kids there as well.  When we started preschool, LRCA didn't have pre-K-3, while PA did.  So, our plan was one year at PA and then move.  After the first year there was no chance, we loved PA too much.

As for the football team, they practice nearly 45-48 weeks a year.  Even outside of formal practice the boys lift weights together a lot.  It's very hard to be fully committed to PA football and play another sport.  A few play soccer, baseball or basketball, but only a few and it's tough.

I'm happy your happy at LRCA, we have a ton of great friends there. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on December 03, 2017, 03:27:38 pm
LRCA is a great school and we originally intended on sending our kids there as well.  When we started preschool, LRCA didn't have pre-K-3, while PA did.  So, our plan was one year at PA and then move.  After the first year there was no chance, we loved PA too much.

As for the football team, they practice nearly 45-48 weeks a year.  Even outside of formal practice the boys lift weights together a lot.  It's very hard to be fully committed to PA football and play another sport.  A few play soccer, baseball or basketball, but only a few and it's tough.

Well their scholarships only cover football probably so they don't venture out much.

RazorDad

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on December 03, 2017, 03:27:38 pm

It was actually a very agonizing decision as we have lots of friends at PA.  Academically, I consider the two schools a draw. So soccer and band (son is actually a very good musician as well) were the deciding factors.

Grond

Saw Pulaski Academy for the first time in 2014, in the Final versus Wynne at War Memorial.

Have seen video since then, but the next "live" viewing occurred at Nettleton this year.

My oldest son was with me both times, and we both observed that the 2017 PA team looked much bigger than the 2014 PA team.

For some of you PA folks, is the 2017 PA team larger than some of the previous teams?

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 03, 2017, 04:13:52 pm
Well their scholarships only cover football probably so they don't venture out much.
I hope this isn't ruining your Christmas. You seem really bitter this weekend.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: RazorDad on December 03, 2017, 04:23:36 pm
It was actually a very agonizing decision as we have lots of friends at PA.  Academically, I consider the two schools a draw. So soccer and band (son is actually a very good musician as well) were the deciding factors.
Considering those two schools a draw academically puts you in a VERY large minority.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 03, 2017, 06:01:34 pm

While I have respected MDXPHD is the past, it's becoming clear that he is nothing but a bitter, classless troll among the ranks of JesseP. 

Your friend one minute, an idiot the next.

The PA boys one a 5A championship.  I'm not making it out to be anything else that what it is.  However, I'm not standing for someone dressing it down. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on December 03, 2017, 07:07:15 pm
While I have respected MDXPHD is the past, it's becoming clear that he is nothing but a bitter, classless troll among the ranks of JesseP. 

The PA boys one a 5A championship.  I'm not making it out to be anything else that what it is.  However, I'm not standing for someone dressing it down.

If you thing troll has a negative connotation to me, you're way off. In fact, it shouldn't take you long to realize how I feel about privates vs publics. It's not just PA lol.

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 03, 2017, 06:01:34 pm

I'm bored sometimes so I get on here to see if you'll become a fan of mine. It never fails...you always bite.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on December 03, 2017, 07:07:15 pm

You know, the only PA fan I have trouble with is you. I take that as a source of pride, your a bitter little twit. Keep mentioning me troll, It fuels my ego to see how much time you spend thinking about me. Believe me, I know the type. Your a frustrated failed athlete who has nothing else but a group of teenage football players. What a sad life you lead.

BTW, seeing as how you take such pleasure pointing out grammatical/spelling/punctuation errors by beloved respected posters maybe you should take a look at your previous post. "Your friend one minute", "The PA boys one a 5A championship", one? Moron. I would say please don't reference me anymore, I don't you. But we both know that's impossible, I live rent free in your tiny brain.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: JessieP on December 03, 2017, 08:29:28 pm
You know, the only PA fan I have trouble with is you. I take that as a source of pride, your a bitter little twit. Keep mentioning me troll, It fuels my ego to see how much time you spend thinking about me. Believe me, I know the type. Your a frustrated failed athlete who has nothing else but a group of teenage football players. What a sad life you lead.

BTW, seeing as how you take such pleasure pointing out grammatical/spelling/punctuation errors by beloved respected posters maybe you should take a look at your previous post. "Your friend one minute", "The PA boys one a 5A championship", one? Moron. I would say please don't reference me anymore, I don't you. But we both know that's impossible, I live rent free in your tiny brain.

Do you have anything to disprove my points troll, or are you still focused on my loins?

My boy just won 5A!  Move over. 

Maynard G Krebs

I wish cable tv was available in Batesville

MDXPHD

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 03, 2017, 09:03:16 pm
I wish cable tv was available in Batesville

Us normal civilians couldn't afford it if it was!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 03, 2017, 09:07:24 pm
Us normal civilians couldn't afford it if it was!

At least your priorities include internet service

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas