• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tips for Basketball Coaches-All Levels

Started by SCHawg, November 02, 2017, 01:24:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SCHawg

I've seen recently a lot of basketball coaches that don't really have a clue what they are doing.  Here are some tips:

1. Focus on player development(skills) not plays.  I see a lot of coaches that just work on learning plays instead of developing players.  Don't need more than just a few plays.  Kids will be able to react and play without overthinking.  Coaches this isn't football, your plays aren't that great. 

2.  Do ball handling, shooting, passing drills EVERY practice!  There is a reason most times the kids that can do the ball handling drills the best are usually the best players...Make the drills tough(one hand only layups, one hand passes, two ball dribbling drills etc...

3.  Work on man to man defense way more than zone.

4.  Play lots of 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 side to side if possible.  Throw in some 1 on 1 also

5.  Scrimmage every day.  It's fun for the kids and should be for the Coach

Neckred

TheGovernor

Another tip in becoming a successful coach would be to make sure your Players can actually play and have talent. It isn't about X's and O's it's about Jill's and Joes... player development is an awesome concept but there has to be a little talent in order to have success also. It's comical watching parents gripe about their kids not playing when their kid isn't able to chew gum and walk at the same time

beach bum

November 02, 2017, 08:51:11 pm #3 Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:19:42 pm by beach bum
I totally agree with your post.... And this is the EXACT opposite of what I see too much now.... Step one should be treating your players like the are a human being too, and not just some object in the way of getting what you want as a coach. The coach is there for the kids AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Teach them what they are doing incorrectly instead of just some belitting comment I see a lot. Luckily, I played for a great coach. And below I will add on my thoughts on each of your numbers...

1. I could not agree more with your #1. Basketball is an instinctual game and is not football like you posted. Running plays over and over and over and over until the cows comes home will not put the ball in the basket like a kid who can make plays on the fly and can shoot and handle the rock on offense and make those instinctual moves in tight spaces. I have seen some kids be pretty good in a practice/drill setting and then just can not put it together at all in a game setting AND then vice versa too obviously where a kid is just ok in a practice setting and then becomes pretty good when the lights are on and the ball is tipped off.

2. Your #2 is explained in what I said above... And I know you know as much as I do even your post players should feel comfortable with the ball in their hand making passes and decisions dribbling.

3. Being good at man to man will lead you to be good at zone when you want to switch up and go zone. Defense is all effort to me and your fitness level as well. Kids must be fit to play at their peak. How can kids go hard when they haven't put in the conditioning. I wasn't the fastest kid back in the day, but as the game went along my superior conditioning took over. I sure seemed faster as the other players became tired and I didn't...

4. Playing 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 will help kids be confident with the ball in their hand as stated above how important that is to be a great player

5.And to add, sometimes do not micromanage the scrimmage, and this will let kids learn to play through their mistakes. Then afterwards go over what needs improvement. Don't nick pick everything while the scrimmage is going on. Let the scrimmage flow. And how do you expect kids to go the extra mile for you if they aren't enjoying what they do. They may just be kids, but they see right through an insincere person. Just like in employment I'll go the extra mile for a boss I love which I have now. Sorry, a boss I can tell does not view me as more than a number in their way of what they want I will not go out of the way for. It works the same way with coaches.

*** Top notch post however on your part

Backboard Shattered

Incoming pro tips!
1. Hire a Legendairy Coach
2. Play a great style
3. Big Motors
4. Parents most of the time are idiots
5. Have a great gym
6. Work hard in summers
7. Do what your told
83. Become Legendairy

Head Lion

I have been coaching kids for years here at Manila. Goal 1. develop hard work ethic through development of fundamentals. 2. Learn how to work TOGETHER (adults could learn from this as well). Tell our kids everyday, I don't want to teach you a play, but how to play. I could write a thesis on it, but basically comes back to these principles.

Bigleague

Well.  I've never coached a day in my life.   But I would think talent is all you need.    Look at guy Perkins

no mascot

Backboard that's the best post you've ever made!

SackAttack

Quote from: Bigleague on November 02, 2017, 09:26:08 pm
Well.  I've never coached a day in my life.   But I would think talent is all you need.    Look at guy Perkins
me either bigleager! I always wanted to be a coach but making good grades and college got in the way of that. You too can win 10 championships if you have enough talent.

Neckred

only a fool would think that
W

Neckred

Quote from: beach bum on November 02, 2017, 08:51:11 pm
I totally agree with your post.... And this is the EXACT opposite of what I see too much now.... Step one should be treating your players like the are a human being too, and not just some object in the way of getting what you want as a coach. The coach is there for the kids AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Teach them what they are doing incorrectly instead of just some belitting comment I see a lot. Luckily, I played for a great coach. And below I will add on my thoughts on each of your numbers...

1. I could not agree more with your #1. Basketball is an instinctual game and is not football like you posted. Running plays over and over and over and over until the cows comes home will not put the ball in the basket like a kid who can make plays on the fly and can shoot and handle the rock on offense and make those instinctual moves in tight spaces. I have seen some kids be pretty good in a practice/drill setting and then just can not put it together at all in a game setting AND then vice versa too obviously where a kid is just ok in a practice setting and then becomes pretty good when the lights are on and the ball is tipped off.

2. Your #2 is explained in what I said above... And I know you know as much as I do even your post players should feel comfortable with the ball in their hand making passes and decisions dribbling.

3. Being good at man to man will lead you to be good at zone when you want to switch up and go zone. Defense is all effort to me and your fitness level as well. Kids must be fit to play at their peak. How can kids go hard when they haven't put in the conditioning. I wasn't the fastest kid back in the day, but as the game went along my superior conditioning took over. I sure seemed faster as the other players became tired and I didn't...

4. Playing 2 on 2 and 3 on 3 will help kids be confident with the ball in their hand as stated above how important that is to be a great player

5.And to add, sometimes do not micromanage the scrimmage, and this will let kids learn to play through their mistakes. Then afterwards go over what needs improvement. Don't nick pick everything while the scrimmage is going on. Let the scrimmage flow. And how do you expect kids to go the extra mile for you if they aren't enjoying what they do. They may just be kids, but they see right through an insincere person. Just like in employment I'll go the extra mile for a boss I love which I have now. Sorry, a boss I can tell does not view me as more than a number in their way of what they want I will not go out of the way for. It works the same way with coaches.

*** Top notch post however on your part
spot on man

Backboard Shattered

Another ProTip!
1. 21 the game that forces you to get better!  No fouls or walks
2. Horse the game that makes you worse
3. Encouraging aggressive behavior absolute plus
4. Your coach isn't always right unless you hired a legend aka like the Boss

TheGovernor

November 03, 2017, 07:28:27 am #12 Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:30:21 am by TheGovernor
Another Pro Tip:
1. Get a parent from the stands to be your assitant like the Hoosiers in case you get thrown out the Dad can coach the team.
2. Have your team get really good at distracting the opposing coach during key moments of the game.
3. Wear a full blown suit to every game. Tired of seeing some coaches wear sweatpants! Legends wear nice suits, unless your bill belichick.
4. Teach the Ricky Bobby if your not first your last concept. That way your team doesn't get complacent like the razorbacks.
5. If you have good players you can focus on good plays for them. If you have bad players please work on passing dribbling and shooting like the first poster said.
6. If your team really sucks you have two options either A. Shoot as quick as you can and maybe you will score or B. Try to stall the game and keep it close.
7. Create your own identity through trick plays or unorthodox methods of playing the game.
8. Focus on dunking in every practice. If you can't slam it in the hole your won't sell many tickets. If you don't have dunkers you must have a great halftime show

SCHawg

Quote from: TheGovernor on November 03, 2017, 07:28:27 am
Another Pro Tip:
1. Get a parent from the stands to be your assitant like the Hoosiers in case you get thrown out the Dad can coach the team.
2. Have your team get really good at distracting the opposing coach during key moments of the game.
3. Wear a full blown suit to every game. Tired of seeing some coaches wear sweatpants! Legends wear nice suits, unless your bill belichick.
4. Teach the Ricky Bobby if your not first your last concept. That way your team doesn't get complacent like the razorbacks.
5. If you have good players you can focus on good plays for them. If you have bad players please work on passing dribbling and shooting like the first poster said.
6. If your team really sucks you have two options either A. Shoot as quick as you can and maybe you will score or B. Try to stall the game and keep it close.
7. Create your own identity through trick plays or unorthodox methods of playing the game.
8. Focus on dunking in every practice. If you can't slam it in the hole your won't sell many tickets. If you don't have dunkers you must have a great halftime show
No.6 is very true

CoolBreeze

Everybody needs work on fundamentals like dribbling, passing, and catching passes. Even good players. For big guys inside, that last skill may be the most important of the three.

When I was back at Bedrock High, out best player couldn't have dribbled the ball down the court without having it stolen to save his life, but he was a hoss inside and he had a turnaround jumper that was deadly up to 15 feet.

One of the weaknesses of the coaching that I got was that too little attention was paid to teaching the inside game. Kids were expected to know that instinctively. That approach worked for the extraordinary player who had a gift, like the one I mentioned above, but not for the role player.

I learned more about playing inside from my son's 7th-grade coach than I ever did as a player.

SackAttack

Sincere question here----- how many of you guys have ever coached a game in your life? Second question----- how many of you actually think that what you think is actually easy to implement. Third question----- why haven't all the coaches who have devoted their entire lives to coaching ever thought of these simple things you all espouse. As i sit here waiting for them to unload this load of logs I was pondering these things!

SCHawg

Quote from: SackAttack on November 03, 2017, 01:26:03 pm
Sincere question here----- how many of you guys have ever coached a game in your life? Second question----- how many of you actually think that what you think is actually easy to implement. Third question----- why haven't all the coaches who have devoted their entire lives to coaching ever thought of these simple things you all espouse. As i sit here waiting for them to unload this load of logs I was pondering these things!
Well I've coached a lot.  It's pretty simple but most coaches don't do these things because a lot of coaches have huge egos and are just not very smart.  A lot(not all) go into coaching because it's an easy major and they like sports.  Unfortunately you have some who don't like kids.

Neckred

Quote from: SCHawg on November 03, 2017, 01:38:37 pm
Well I've coached a lot.  It's pretty simple but most coaches don't do these things because a lot of coaches have huge egos and are just not very smart.  A lot(not all) go into coaching because it's an easy major and they like sports.  Unfortunately you have some who don't like kids.
Yep....

Jimbo Morphis

Watch an old replay of Duke beating UNLV for the championship and you'll see how wrong that is.

sevenof400

Quote from: Oldman on November 03, 2017, 02:19:05 pm
Watch an old replay of Duke beating UNLV for the championship and you'll see how wrong that is.

Though it did not hurt Duke's cause to have the greatest college basketball player of all time.....

SCHawg

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 03, 2017, 02:40:01 pm
Though it did not hurt Duke's cause to have the greatest college basketball player of all time.....
They had Pistol Pete?

sevenof400

SackAttack

Just curious here. What level and where? Years experience? Success? Your coaching peers might not like you calling them mostly dumb! Thought it was a fraternity!

Neckred

Quote from: SackAttack on November 03, 2017, 02:48:33 pm
Just curious here. What level and where? Years experience? Success? Your coaching peers might not like you calling them mostly dumb! Thought it was a fraternity!
A fraternity lol that's part of the problem.  They see others obsessed with plays and they do it too.....Skill development people.  Forgot all the plays!

SCHawg

Another way to tell if a guy is a good coach is if his own kids can play.  If they can't you might be in trouble.  Unless they have something wrong mentally or physically. 

beach bum

Quote from: SackAttack on November 03, 2017, 01:26:03 pm

Because most of them their downfall is their ego....

beach bum

Quote from: SCHawg on November 03, 2017, 02:42:58 pm
They had Pistol Pete?

Haha... He was literally dribbling circles around people in his day.

Hitman Warrior23

I see some good points to this topic but at the end of the day the coach has to have a system in place to cater to the team.  So every year they may have to have different objectives. Gotta coach to what you got. And that takes allot of time.
I can only speak of my personal opinions and experiences, my kiddos are in the gym using their personal time to polish up on the ball handling, defence and shooting. It starts with good communication with the coach as a parent. Then I take my butt to the gym and help the coach be successful with my child.

CoolBreeze

I've run across a few who genuinely seem to enjoy inflicting pain via unnecessary sprints and/or particular calisthenics to excess.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: SCHawg on November 03, 2017, 02:42:58 pm
They had Pistol Pete?
The most self-focused college basketball player of all time.

By the way, he played Kentucky every year while at LSU and to the best of my recollection never failed to score 50 or more. But how many times did his team beat the Wildcats with him in the lineup? Zilch. Zero. Nada.

Of course, had he played in the era of the 3-point shot, he'd have averaged at least 60 points per game.

SackAttack

Nobody has answered my original question! How many of you guys are real coaches? Im truly curious. Pee Wee, Daddy ball, and summer league does not count

Moonshiner

November 03, 2017, 11:35:15 pm #31 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 03:40:54 am by Moonshiner
Quote from: SCHawg on November 03, 2017, 03:08:26 pm
Another way to tell if a guy is a good coach is if his own kids can play.  If they can't you might be in trouble.  Unless they have something wrong mentally or physically.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever read.  I've seen coaches with two kids.  One is college material, the other...not so much.  You're credibility as a "coach" goes down with each post.  It sounds like you had a bad experience with your high school coach because you're that one guy that can't remember the set.  I suspect you've never lost a Peewee summer league game.

beach bum

November 03, 2017, 11:57:21 pm #32 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:12:04 am by beach bum
Quote from: SackAttack on November 03, 2017, 10:13:02 pm
Nobody has answered my original question! How many of you guys are real coaches? Im truly curious. Pee Wee, Daddy ball, and summer league does not count

By using your logic then how should Trump have ever become president then? He never had any real political experience.... Do you get how the basis of your argument on this topic sounds? I don't mean that statement politically, but merely as a comparison to get you to see what it is you're even saying. So none of us should ever comment or have an opinion on something that isn't our career? I am asking as a serious question. Most of the people on this post are trying to have a serious conversation about what they see works and you are just deflecting. It sounds like you may have a close friend or relative in the profession of coaching and may be taking things a little too personal on this topic. The basis of your argument has no merit...

Hitman Warrior23

Quote from: beach bum on November 03, 2017, 11:57:21 pm
By using your logic then how should Trump have ever become president then? He never had any real political experience.... Do you get how the basis of your argument on this topic sounds? I don't mean that statement politically, but merely as a comparison to get you to see what it is you're even saying. So none of us should ever comment or have an opinion on something that isn't our career? I am asking as a serious question. Most of the people on this post are trying to have a serious conversation about what they see works and you are just deflecting. It sounds like you may have a close friend or relative in the profession of coaching and may be taking things a little too personal on this topic. The basis of your argument has no merit...
Agreed!

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Hitman Warrior23 on November 04, 2017, 12:15:32 pm
Agreed!

The American people where seriously tired of professional political corrupt politicians who sold out America , like paying Iran billions, selling our uranium to Russia, and forcing the Liberal agenda down our throats. I thank God everyday that Killary is not POTUS.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on November 04, 2017, 12:39:27 pm
The American people where seriously tired of professional political corrupt politicians who sold out America , like paying Iran billions, selling our uranium to Russia, and forcing the Liberal agenda down our throats. I thank God everyday that Killary is not POTUS.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch. The topic is coaches.

NEA Razorback olfan

November 04, 2017, 12:56:41 pm #36 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:59:17 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 04, 2017, 12:42:55 pm
Meanwhile, back at the ranch. The topic is coaches.
u

Yes sir, from coaches that I have talked to a successful program starts at the middle school level.
The fundamentals at an early age along with an understanding it is a progression. From year to year the players will improve, how much depends on how many hours and how bad they want to raise their playing level. Going to games and being a gym rat elevates their understanding and skills.
Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. Middle school coaches should focus on dribbling, shooting, passing , and a general understanding of the rules of the game.
Without these fundamentals running plays is useless.

SackAttack

Quote from: beach bum on November 03, 2017, 11:57:21 pm
Thanks for answering my question! You've never coached a game but yet you have expertise in the matter. No sir you have an opinion. never operated on a cancer patient! never arrested anybody. never taught anybody quantum physics. never drove a combine! so you see its only opinions and yes they are mostly correct when you sit in the bleachers but much harder to implement in reality. I guess my disgust is in the way the original post was worded! I have many friends in the coaching business and I appreciate the job they do and did coaching my kids whether i agree with their methods or not. kudos to the coaches for I realize what a tough gig it must be!

CoolBreeze

Quote from: SackAttack on November 04, 2017, 01:18:51 pm
Thanks for answering my question! You've never coached a game but yet you have expertise in the matter. No sir you have an opinion. never operated on a cancer patient! never arrested anybody. never taught anybody quantum physics. never drove a combine! so you see its only opinions and yes they are mostly correct when you sit in the bleachers but much harder to implement in reality. I guess my disgust is in the way the original post was worded! I have many friends in the coaching business and I appreciate the job they do and did coaching my kids whether i agree with their methods or not. kudos to the coaches for I realize what a tough gig it must be!
You're right about it being a tough job. Some years ago, a freiend of mine had to drop out of coaching, despite considerable success, due to all the pressure. It was affecting his relationship with his family. He decided they were more important than winning basketball games.

TheGovernor

Everyone is a coach but not everyone wants to coach.

HorseFeathers

SackAttack

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 04, 2017, 01:25:46 pm
You're right about it being a tough job. Some years ago, a freiend of mine had to drop out of coaching, despite considerable success, due to all the pressure. It was affecting his relationship with his family. He decided they were more important than winning basketball games.
+1 Thank you Breeze! Again I just didn't like the way the original post was worded I guess. Pomposity times a 1000. I don't think anybody has all the answers. Some do better than others much like life but one thing is for certain it must be an incredibly hard job with others constantly critiquing  and second guessing your every move and motive. Big league said it best the common denominator is a talent base within which to work. I saw one of the best coaches in the area put a junior high team on the floor several years ago that was totally helpless. Im sure they didn't win a game . If you didn't know better and you just casually walked in the gym to watch a game you'd think the guy was a total moron. So you'd base an opinion on something at first glance that you know nothing about and that has no base! Talk basketball all you want but give the profession a little respect that it deserves!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SackAttack on November 04, 2017, 02:38:24 pm
+1 Thank you Breeze! Again I just didn't like the way the original post was worded I guess. Pomposity times a 1000. I don't think anybody has all the answers. Some do better than others much like life but one thing is for certain it must be an incredibly hard job with others constantly critiquing  and second guessing your every move and motive. Big league said it best the common denominator is a talent base within which to work. I saw one of the best coaches in the area put a junior high team on the floor several years ago that was totally helpless. Im sure they didn't win a game . If you didn't know better and you just casually walked in the gym to watch a game you'd think the guy was a total moron. So you'd base an opinion on something at first glance that you know nothing about and that has no base! Talk basketball all you want but give the profession a little respect that it deserves!

So does talent make the coach or does the coacb make the talent?

Moonshiner

Moonshiner

Quote from: SackAttack on November 04, 2017, 02:38:24 pm

Wow.  +1000

SackAttack

Quote from: Moonshiner on November 04, 2017, 03:05:53 pm
Wow.  +1000
HUH? Really!! Just kidding. 9/10 of what i post on here is tongue in cheek! But I think this is spot on. Glad someone agrees

Hitman Warrior23

November 04, 2017, 09:07:42 pm #46 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 10:10:29 pm by Hitman Warrior23
All I know is there are good coaches and bad coaches just like every job in life.   The original post had some good ideas (I've coached way over a 1000 games from little league to winning several small national titles ) I just decided to work for myself out of college instead of coaching (own my own insurance agency). Problem is  guess you have to have street cred to comment on this topic.   Fundamentals is key.  But no one and I mean NO ONE should ever complain about your kiddos ability to play on the coach,  get your butt up and either A learn the game and work with them or B hire a trainer or both.   The coach is responsible for the TEAM doing the best practices he can do.  But I promise you the good players are training outside of practices I PROMISE. School Coaches can only do so much.  But at the end of the day their are posts that I feel are attacking anyone's opinion (this is a forum). Either way it is what it is.  The original post had good points anyone that disagrees is goofy but  at the same time.  High School coaches have allot to work on on just game prep.  I Run training sessions 3 days a week just ball handling, shooting, and defence and it tough very tough to get all that in 2 hours.  Couldn't imagine putting allot of game planning in it.  Just my two cents

Hitman Warrior23

zebra73

You can not break players from playing other sports. Although the coach tells you stay in shape. Basketball is enjoyable,but you have to set limits on the shape thing. Basketball or general sports??

SCHawg

Quote from: SackAttack on November 03, 2017, 10:13:02 pm
Ha.  There are a lot of summer ball coaches out there way better than school coaches and vise versa.  Another tip is blast music during practice.  That goes for any sport. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas