• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greenwood hosts Sheridan

Started by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam, October 22, 2017, 09:43:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Sheridan travels to Greenwood Friday night.  What's your prediction?

Pr8hd

A mercy rule at home, starters out after first series in the 3rd quarter. GW needs to iron out any and all kinks these next 2 weeks.

The Eye of Mordor will be focused on WM at PB. Game of week in 6A.  Loser of that one  is #2 and sets up a potential date for a semi-final match-up in GW the day after Thanksgiving barring any upsets in the second round. Both conferences will have some teams that can upset the apple cart in the opposing brackets in the 2 thru 4 seeds.  My guess is PB gets the edge there since at home. Two good coaches squaring off in that one in Elmore and Bolding.

The Future

I wanna say 45-0 Greenwood. But apparently Jones this year is really cutting down scores in the second half. Might only be 35-0

High Voltage

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 22, 2017, 10:32:14 am
A mercy rule at home, starters out after first series in the 3rd quarter. GW needs to iron out any and all kinks these next 2 weeks.

The Eye of Mordor will be focused on WM at PB. Game of week in 6A.  Loser of that one  is #2 and sets up a potential date for a semi-final match-up in GW the day after Thanksgiving barring any upsets in the second round. Both conferences will have some teams that can upset the apple cart in the opposing brackets in the 2 thru 4 seeds.  My guess is PB gets the edge there since at home. Two good coaches squaring off in that one in Elmore and Bolding.
Elmore's starting QB and RB went down with injuries against Jacksonville. Don't know to what extent.

Pr8hd

Quote from: High Voltage on October 22, 2017, 11:00:06 am
Elmore's starting QB and RB went down with injuries against Jacksonville. Don't know to what extent.

Hate to hear when a kid gets hurt esp. a senior (not sure if that is the case on either). GW has been very lucky to avoid a major injury this year and really most years at least during the season.

<Knock on wood >

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: The Future on October 22, 2017, 10:37:15 am
I wanna say 45-0 Greenwood. But apparently Jones this year is really cutting down scores in the second half. Might only be 35-0

Why do you think that is?   Do you think it will effect us when our boys need to actually play a full 4 quarters?

greenman478

Sheridan pulls off the biggest upset in state history with a win on Friday!!!!!

Just kidding,  Greenwood by 40.

The Future

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 23, 2017, 10:03:10 am
Why do you think that is?   Do you think it will effect us when our boys need to actually play a full 4 quarters?

I really have no clue why. I mean yes Jones has always tried to keep the score under 60, but he would also score as quick as possible and get to 42 points (the mercy rule plus one extra) before he starts to back off. Didn't matter if that final score came in the first half or second. He got there then backed off some. Greenwoods average score a game was in the 40s. This year we have scored over 40 points three times when really we should have in every game. Why the change I don't know. You'd have to ask him.

This year I don't know it seems different. It just looks like once the second half starts and we are ahead then he seems to coast through and play very conservatively with he mindset of we are ahead by 21 so we don't need to score on every possession. Now I'm not saying being up by 21 is bad. But if we punt the ball away and then the opponent scores and kicks the ball back to us, there's no guarantee we will score that possession. Something could happen. What if we throw a pick or fumble it back to them then they score again? Now we are only 7 ahead when we could have been 14 ahead had we scored on that last possession instead of punting. Maybe it's just the way I would coach, but I would feel more comfortable letting off the gas pedal with a 28 or 35 point lead rather than a 17 or 21 game lead.

Eh I don't think it'll affect us if we have to play a full 4 quarters because it's a tight game the whole game with us only up or behind by a score at half. But I do think it'll affect us if we are only up by 17 or 21 at half against West Memphis or Pine Bluff or even Eldorado during the playoffs and then they come out well adjusted and get a couple scores in and suddenly we are up only 7 at the start of the 4th against a great team. A close game batting is not the same as being ahead and coasting and then having them comeback and it rattling you and you lose composure and not know what to do. See Greenwood's games against Camden Fairview 2010 and 2011.

Maybe he's just done away with the have to mercy rule to speed the game up plan. Either way, a mercy rule or a 1 point win is still a win.

jeffslilbro

Did you ever think the offense may be struggling a little?

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: jeffslilbro on October 23, 2017, 03:08:32 pm
Did you ever think the offense may be struggling a little?

I've been saying that for 3 weeks.  The offense seems to struggle a bit to find their rhythm.  Even while struggling, they can score points.   From the start of the game through the end, they just haven't looked like they should over the past few weeks.

Iknewthemwhen

Hard for Sheridan to keep pace in this game.

The Future

Has our offense struggled? Yes. We've always had some games where we struggle. But we have always seeemd to still get to the mercy rule to end the game quicker. Why is this year different.

We have scored 231 points in the first half and only 105 in the second.
So what do we only struggle during the second half? No. We've struggled during every quarter during our 8 games so far. So blaming our lack of scoring in the second half on us struggling is not a valid reason. It's because Jones does what he does and puts in back ups to give them experience. Which I am all for. But he's doing it much earlier as far as what the score is.

Which goes back to my original post. If there was 7 mins left in the third quarter and Greenwood had 28 points, Jones would go down and score to get the mercy rule to end the game quicker. That was always his play. Go back and look at final scores from past seasons. You'll see a bunch of 35s and 42s and 49s because that's what we needed to get to to invoke the mercy rule.
Look at the Northside game, we had 34 points at half. We owned that half. You can't tell me the reason why we scored 0 points in the second half was because we were struggling. We may have a few plays or drives but we were more than capable of scoring at least a field goal to invoke the mercy rule. But we didn't because we were already ahead so why put more points on the board?

We only have had one game where we scored more in the second half than the first. Texarkana. And that was because we needed to or else we'd lose.
That's what I was getting at in my original post. Jones is coaching the same way he has since he came here in 04 but with one exception. Instead of getting to 42 and then calling off the troops, he gets to halftime and if we are ahead then he eases off. Or at least that is what it looks like.
And that is what makes me nervous abit. And that's why I meant what I posted about the score only being 35-0

Here's a breakdown. Opponent- first half points-second half points
Northside- 34 0
Southside- 42 7
Alma- 34-20
Texarkana- 13-25
Eldorado- 31-21
Siloam- 28-10
Russellville- 28-10
Benton- 21-12

The Future

Quick edit.
When I say we've struggled in all quarters of our games this year I meant there's been times we've struggled in the first, second, third, and fourth quarters. Not that we have struggled in every quarter of every game.

Valleysports

Ignore this post - I just need to save this quote for the future reference.

EXPECTATIONS OF PLAYERS - Ricky Don Jones

We will keep our priorities in order.

A. God, B. Family, C. Academics, D. Football, E. Everything else

We will do it hard, do it right, or do it again.

We will put the team first.

We will do our best in everything we do.

We will be good role models.

We will treat everyone with respect.

We will not be negatively influenced by peer pressure.

We will never compromise what is right.

We will help each other get better.

We will have the courage and conviction to stand up for what is right.

jeffslilbro

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

October 24, 2017, 08:47:57 am #15 Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:49:53 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam
Quote from: The Future on October 23, 2017, 04:04:29 pm
Has our offense struggled? Yes. We've always had some games where we struggle. But we have always seeemd to still get to the mercy rule to end the game quicker. Why is this year different.

So what do we only struggle during the second half? No. We've struggled during every quarter during our 8 games so far. So blaming our lack of scoring in the second half on us struggling is not a valid reason. It's because Jones does what he does and puts in back ups to give them experience. Which I am all for. But he's doing it much earlier as far as what the score is.

Which goes back to my original post. If there was 7 mins left in the third quarter and Greenwood had 28 points, Jones would go down and score to get the mercy rule to end the game quicker. That was always his play. Go back and look at final scores from past seasons. You'll see a bunch of 35s and 42s and 49s because that's what we needed to get to to invoke the mercy rule.
Look at the Northside game, we had 34 points at half. We owned that half. You can't tell me the reason why we scored 0 points in the second half was because we were struggling. We may have a few plays or drives but we were more than capable of scoring at least a field goal to invoke the mercy rule. But we didn't because we were already ahead so why put more points on the board?

We only have had one game where we scored more in the second half than the first. Texarkana. And that was because we needed to or else we'd lose.
That's what I was getting at in my original post. Jones is coaching the same way he has since he came here in 04 but with one exception. Instead of getting to 42 and then calling off the troops, he gets to halftime and if we are ahead then he eases off. Or at least that is what it looks like.
And that is what makes me nervous abit. And that's why I meant what I posted about the score only being 35-0

Northside- 34 0
Southside- 42 7
Alma- 34-20
Texarkana- 13-25
Eldorado- 31-21
Siloam- 28-10
Russellville- 28-10
Benton- 21-12

I'm not sure if you're ranting in my direction or not.  If you are, then you're misunderstanding my points as well. :)   I'll make this comparison.  When you see a basketball team who's fundamental approach to the game is 40 minutes of heck (so to say).  It's fast paced, up and down.  And then you see the team, at the end of the game, slow it down to protect their lead.....more times than not, it hurts them.  It gives the other team the advantage.  And the reason is is that the "40 minutes of heck" team is used to playing a certain way, and when they have to adjust their playing style, i.e. tempo, then it tends to cause problems.     Now, Greenwood is an up tempo offense.  And when we slow things down (don't' pass as much as normal) I believe it hinders our effectiveness.  We are still able to score, just not in the manner that we are all used to seeing.  Maybe he's doing this for a reason (If you know Jones, he always has a very good reason for what he does).  Maybe it's like that jockey that knows his horse has the burst of speed to take out any opponent, but he holds the reigns back, just to "rev the engine" if you will.  Maybe Jones is doing this so that the teams, (WM, PB) who we will most likely face in the playoffs, will watch our game film and think they have us figured out.  Then we "unleash the hounds" (pun intended) on them.   Who knows.  But it's perplexing, but interesting to ponder.

The Future

Wasn't ranting towards anything lol. Just responding lol.
I understood your point from the previous post. And the one above this one makes sense too.

It also details further what you were meaning. And I agree.
It was what I was explaining too.

We get up ahead and then back off. But we've been 35 points ahead so even if we start to stutter or lose effectiveness because we have slowed down or if the opponent comes storming back, we are enough ahead to where we can still win.
If we are only up by 21 and we start to slow the tempo, the opponent isn't too far behind to make a comeback. This year Jones is slowing the pace just a bit sooner it seems

I trust Jones knows what's best for the team. Much better than I for sure.
And I'll trust him to get the win no matter the score.

I stick with my original prediction of 35-0.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: The Future on October 24, 2017, 08:59:20 am
Wasn't ranting towards anything lol. Just responding lol.
I understood your point from the previous post. And the one above this one makes sense too.

It also details further what you were meaning. And I agree.
It was what I was explaining too.

We get up ahead and then back off. But we've been 35 points ahead so even if we start to stutter or lose effectiveness because we have slowed down or if the opponent comes storming back, we are enough ahead to where we can still win.
If we are only up by 21 and we start to slow the tempo, the opponent isn't too far behind to make a comeback. This year Jones is slowing the pace just a bit sooner it seems

I trust Jones knows what's best for the team. Much better than I for sure.
And I'll trust him to get the win no matter the score.

I stick with my original prediction of 35-0.

I'll take that score.  Maybe Jones knows what he has (or doesn't have) next year and is just trying to get more game reps for the back-ups.  Who knows.  I'm glad we have a fairly easy two weeks ahead.  Watching PB, ED, Russ, and WM.  They all have a pretty tough 2 weeks coming up.

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Valleysports on October 23, 2017, 05:29:55 pm

Not taking the bait Tool!

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

October 26, 2017, 10:18:15 am #19 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:19:47 am by DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam
Quote from: Valleysports on October 23, 2017, 05:29:55 pm

It's interesting that you hardly ever post on the Valley threads but you troll the Greenwood threads.   Were you rejected by a Greenwood girl?  Are you a closet Greenwood fan?  Did you get cut from one of the Greenwood sports programs?  Were you abandoned as a child?  You either have attention issues or anger issues........or maybe both! 

And you always make your insults towards the players.  Talking about their classlessness or lack of respect.  Are you an adult?  Seriously.  Take your shots at those of us who are on this board and can defend ourselves, not at teenagers or coaches.   Do you troll the elementary schools around you picking fights?  Geez.  Maybe you play pickleball cause you can dominate the 4th graders on your block. Go back down to your mommies basement and eat another hot pocket.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 22, 2017, 10:32:14 am

+1

bulldogger15

Quote from: The Future on October 23, 2017, 04:04:29 pm

Northside- 34 0
Southside- 42 7
Alma- 34-20
Texarkana- 13-25
Eldorado- 31-21
Siloam- 28-10
Russellville- 28-10
Benton- 21-12
+1

Pr8hd

Not going to this one, mailing it in. Going to the Razorback basketball game instead. Figure exposition basketball might be better. Plus got to find some positive Razorback related thing to root for, since the football team has fallen off the mark of relevancy.

Hopefully, will hook up with Coach Nabes, my former teammate and classmate. So, not drinking the blue kool aid tonight.  Got some heavy drinking the next 4 weeks hopefully though once the playoffs start... 8)

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 27, 2017, 02:51:10 pm
Not going to this one, mailing it in. Going to the Razorback basketball game instead. Figure exposition basketball might be better. Plus got to find some positive Razorback related thing to root for, since the football team has fallen off the mark of relevancy.

Hopefully, will hook up with Coach Nabes, my former teammate and classmate. So, not drinking the blue kool aid tonight.  Got some heavy drinking the next 4 weeks hopefully though once the playoffs start... 8)

Senior Night in GW.  Gonna be a cold one.   

Safe travels and keep your cup of blue kool-aid handy!

Pr8hd

Quote from: DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam on October 27, 2017, 02:54:27 pm
Senior Night in GW.  Gonna be a cold one.   

Safe travels and keep your cup of blue kool-aid handy!

Bulldogs are usually the one sports constant I can count on for a 'W' in my sports weekend of the teams I root for.

My son's little league soccer team is pretty salty too, I guess.

Other than those 2, all bets are off on who I want to win in a weekend.

I'll listen in at the Razorback game to TT, Kev and the Bald Barber to keep abreast of things.

"Stay (warm and) thirsty my friends."

TTofGreenwood

HUGE SHOUTOUT to the Sheridan fans last night. 0-8. 3 hour drive. .01% chance of winning. And the folks braved the elements to come watch their kids. Jackets played hard, just ran into a buzzsaw with ALL its teeth on the blade.
    Dogs are pretty good.

bulldogger15

Quote from: TTofGreenwood on October 28, 2017, 09:39:50 am
HUGE SHOUTOUT to the Sheridan fans last night. 0-8. 3 hour drive. .01% chance of winning. And the folks braved the elements to come watch their kids. Jackets played hard, just ran into a buzzsaw with ALL its teeth on the blade.
    Dogs are pretty good.
+1

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas