• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My 2A Top Ten--Week 7

Started by Mike Bonds, October 09, 2017, 02:42:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Bonds

1.  Rison
2.  Mount Ida
3.  Hector
4.  Danville
5.  Earle
6.  Foreman
7.  Conway Christian
8.  Camden Harmony Grove
9.  Bearden
10.  Mountain Pine

Circling the poll:  Hazen, McCrory, Hackett, Des Arc, Mountainburg

Observations:  This is far and away the most exciting classification to me this year (along with 4A)--many teams have a chance to make some noise in this year's 2A playoffs.  While we might think about the top teams scoring big in 2A, the story to me isn't offense in this classification, it's defense.  Rison, Mount Ida, Earle, and Foreman have all given up less than 70 points to their opponents.  A shout-out to Hackett as well, allowing only 39 points through 6 weeks.  Conway Christian slides two spots this week after scraping by on the road against a struggling England squad.  Bearden escapes with a win over a decent Parkers Chapel team in which 14 total points were scored, clipping the Hazen Hornets out of a spot in this week's poll.

Interesting stats:  So far, Foreman has only allowed only 36 points; Mount Ida has allowed only 40.  This week's game in Montgomery County is huge, and the winner is clearly the favorite to win the 2A-7.  With that kind of defense on both sides, I expect a low-scoring game decided by turnovers or special teams.

stuck in between

Foreman's total points allowed is somewhat skewed due to an open date week 2, but six of those 36 points allowed came from a scoop and score given up by their 2nd string offense to Genoa week one so maybe it all comes out in the wash. You are right. should be a good game Foreman has not punted all year and I wouldn't imagine that Ida has much if any so with it possibly turning into a defensive battle I wouldn't be surprised if a break down on punt teams being what wins the game.

mr.gametime

😂😂😂😂😂....im sorry i just cant with mountain pine

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: mr.gametime on October 09, 2017, 04:04:07 pm
😂😂😂😂😂....im sorry i just cant with mountain pine

I hear ya! I think all the teams they have beaten have 3 or 4 wins between them. I understand this guy Mike, is the one who started f.f. but his top 10 credibility is flat out laughable. No way mountain pine can/would beat any of the 5 teams he has listed as circling the poll. A poll with zero teams from the 6 has zero credibility.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on October 09, 2017, 05:14:04 pm
I hear ya! I think all the teams they have beaten have 3 or 4 wins between them. I understand this guy Mike, is the one who started f.f. but his top 10 credibility is flat out laughable. No way mountain pine can/would beat any of the 5 teams he has listed as circling the poll. A poll with zero teams from the 6 has zero credibility.

The teams that Mountain Pine have beaten have 4 wins total.  The teams that Des Arc have beaten have 5 total wins, with 4 of them belonging to an EPC team living off the 2A-6's lesser teams. 

Most of the 2A-6 is really bad this season--the bottom 4 teams have 2 combined wins, and Augusta's out, so the teams that are good are getting an open date that most other teams won't get the benefit of.  Most of the 2A-7 is also bad--the bottom 4 teams there also have 2 combined wins, plus everyone has to play Spring Hill, which adds 2 more victories to the tally.

It's hard to tout the strength of the 2A-6.  Like the 2A-7, it's an extremely top heavy conference. 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

October 10, 2017, 11:35:17 am #5 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 11:45:23 am by pick_DA_EAGLES
Quote from: Mike Bonds on October 10, 2017, 09:27:06 am
The teams that Mountain Pine have beaten have 4 wins total.  The teams that Des Arc have beaten have 5 total wins, with 4 of them belonging to an EPC team living off the 2A-6's lesser teams. 

Most of the 2A-6 is really bad this season--the bottom 4 teams have 2 combined wins, and Augusta's out, so the teams that are good are getting an open date that most other teams won't get the benefit of.  Most of the 2A-7 is also bad--the bottom 4 teams there also have 2 combined wins, plus everyone has to play Spring Hill, which adds 2 more victories to the tally.

It's hard to tout the strength of the 2A-6.  Like the 2A-7, it's an extremely top heavy conference.

Wasn't asking for des arc, but to leave out Mccrory or Hazen is ludicrous. Des Arc still has to play Hazen and p-w. As for the open week Augusta created, we would rather played.

You compare the strength of the 6 and the 7, yet you have 2 teams in the top 6 (which may be deserving) but if you think mountain pine could/would beat Mccrory or Hazen, you may need to go back into hiding.

mr.gametime

They beat cutter morning star 8-7...lol

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: mr.gametime on October 10, 2017, 02:20:47 pm
They beat cutter morning star 8-7...lol

Yea I saw that. M. Pines opponents have 4 wins because they have faced the other not so good teams in their confernce.

HG Hornet

October 10, 2017, 02:50:15 pm #8 Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:53:02 pm by CHG Hornet
Quote from: Mike Bonds on October 09, 2017, 02:42:20 pm
1.  Rison
2.  Mount Ida
3.  Hector
4.  Danville
5.  Earle
6.  Foreman
7.  Conway Christian
8.  Camden Harmony Grove
9.  Bearden
10.  Mountain Pine

Circling the poll:  Hazen, McCrory, Hackett, Des Arc, Mountainburg

Observations:  While we might think about the top teams scoring big in 2A, the story to me isn't offense in this classification, it's defense.  Rison, Mount Ida, Earle, and Foreman have all given up less than 70 points to their opponents. 

True, but they haven't played a high powered team like Prescott either.  Prescott put 41 on us, but otherwise CHG defense has been pretty stingy.  I understand what you're saying, though.   

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: CHG Hornet on October 10, 2017, 02:50:15 pm
True, but they haven't played a high powered team like Prescott either.  Prescott put 41 on us, but otherwise CHG defense has been pretty stingy.  I understand what you're saying, though.
It is true that very few teams in 2A have played the schedule CHG has but, the Hornets have allowed at least 14 points to everyone except Strong.

purplehajj

Hazen and McCrory both would beat mountain pine by 30+ and pretty sure des arc would beat them by two Touchdowns!!

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: purplehajj on October 10, 2017, 04:13:30 pm
Hazen and McCrory both would beat mountain pine by 30+ and pretty sure des arc would beat them by two Touchdowns!!
This Mountain Pine love is really strange. Their best win is against a 1-5 Mineral Springs team that played a couple of mediocre teams kinda close. I honestly believe that every team in the top 10 and most in the top 15 would beat them by 3 or more scores.

HorseFeathers

I think Bonds is trolling y'all.

AA Insider

Regardless of mountain pines schedule so far to be 5-1 after 6 weeks has to count for something after not having a team last year. Do I think they're top 10 worthy, no. It will all play itself out over the next 3 weeks.

Wildcatalumni21

I know it's not gonna happen but we would all kill over if they beat either Foreman or Mt. Ida 😂😂

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Wildcatalumni21 on October 10, 2017, 07:06:03 pm
I know it's not gonna happen but we would all kill over if they beat either Foreman or Mt. Ida 😂😂

If they did that, I would say they would then be top 10 worthy

Risonwildcat212

Quote from: Wildcatalumni21 on October 10, 2017, 07:06:03 pm
The game is played for a reason. Anyone can lose on any given night, to any opponent if not prepared to take said opponent seriously. Do I personally think that is going to happen? No. Would I be surprised if it happened? I'd be lying if i said that I wouldn't be. I do know that, from a personal standpoint, that Rison won a State Title game as a 50 point underdog to a 3 year unbeaten team. So anything's possible.

FilmCrew

I agree that it would be a great accomplishment if they did win......

BUT, this isn't a home grown team that just clawed their way to the top with blood sweat and tears either. This team has been recruited (grown) out of the other schools around the area. This team is much like the Hampton of last year.

bigworm

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 10, 2017, 07:57:38 pm
I agree that it would be a great accomplishment if they did win......

BUT, this isn't a home grown team that just clawed their way to the top with blood sweat and tears either. This team has been recruited (grown) out of the other schools around the area. This team is much like the Hampton of last year.

This is a question. Not being sarcastic I promise. Lord knows I dont want to even think about hampton and their free trailer houses for stud football players. But, why would any good football player want to go to MP?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bigworm on October 10, 2017, 08:22:20 pm
This is a question. Not being sarcastic I promise. Lord knows I dont want to even think about hampton and their free trailer houses for stud football players. But, why would any good football player want to go to MP?

Good at the 2A level has a different definition than good at the 6A level....or even 3A level in some conferences..

bigworm

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 10, 2017, 08:36:01 pm
Good at the 2A level has a different definition than good at the 6A level....or even 3A level in some conferences..

How's that? You mean as a team or as individual player?

FilmCrew

Exactly, If you are a semi good player in a Lake Hamilton football program and see that the starting stud has been in the program since he was 8. You might want to look for an opportunity to go somewhere where you are going to be the stud. Maybe he got into some discipline issues and needed a place to land. Maybe he was promised a nice shoe deal.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: CHG Hornet on October 10, 2017, 02:50:15 pm

Camden Harmony Grove might have played the strongest non-conference schedule in 2A.  The Smackover loss looked like a red flag initially, but it's looking like a better loss as time goes on.  No shame in losing to either Prescott or Glen Rose--they're both top ten teams in a higher classification, and I'm not sure anyone can run with Prescott in 3A other than Junction City, or maybe--maybe--Mayflower or Charleston.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: bigworm on October 10, 2017, 08:22:20 pm

Part of the issue is that it's a school district surrounding a major Arkansas city.  People in Arkansas love moving to the burbs/country just outside of major cities.  If you want to live close to a bigger city where the land is cheap and you don't want your kid to go to a huge school, then small, outlying school districts are where you go.  There are lots of examples of this happening in NWA, but that's not the only place.  Consider places like Vilonia, Greenbrier, Glen Rose, Bauxite, Jonesboro Westside, Brookland, Batesville Southside.  I think we're just seeing the same effect in Garland County, and at this level, even a small number of talented move-ins can make a difference.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bigworm on October 10, 2017, 08:49:39 pm
How's that? You mean as a team or as individual player?

Both kinda...more so on the individual level. Don't get me wrong...plenty of 2a kids that could shine at bigger schools, but let's face it...there are back ups at lake Hamilton, Cabot, or a greenwood that could go start at the surrounding small schools and make an impact because the talent level isn't the same across the board at the smaller schools

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas