• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week 1 Games

Started by BisonFan1, August 13, 2017, 08:48:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BisonFan1

Hey everyone.  I know we are still a couple of weeks out, but I thought I would see what everyone's thoughts were going into their week 1 games.  It's always good to get the season off to a good start.  I'll get us started. 

Lonoke @ Carlisle

AAAA member Lonoke will make the short drive down Highway 70 to face the Bison.  This is the second year for the two teams to play after not playing for many years.  Last year's game was a tight match, up until the 3rd quarter when Lonoke eventually pulled away.  I am not really sure what all the Jackrabbits have back.  I know their numbers are in the low 50s so they will definitely have an advantage over Carlisle (22 players) in that area. 

FWIW, Hootens doesn't have them ranked very high for their conference or, overall, in the state.  Also, they are playing under a new head coach and have changed their offensive/defensive schemes, so there are a lot of unknowns with them.  I look for the Bison to use their physical 'ground-and-pound' offense to control the clock and, hopefully, keep their defense off the field.  I think the biggest question will be fatigue.  Last year, we simply ran out of gas.  We don't do that this year, I think we have a decent shot at taking this one.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Carlisle by 4.   

beach bum

August 13, 2017, 08:53:57 pm #1 Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:06:32 pm by beach bum
I like the thread..... I think Carlise has a shot in that game as well. If the Bison are fielding a good team this year they can certainly beat a Lonoke team that seems to be on a downward trajectory in the last few years. Good luck to the Bison. I'll give my two cents for week 1 for the two teams in 2A up near the NW Arkansas area I am somewhat familiar with in a post below.

beach bum

August 13, 2017, 09:02:27 pm #2 Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:20:56 pm by beach bum
Berryville @ Decatur- Even though Berryville is a bottom of the barrel 4A program Decatur will be in a battle they just aren't capable of winning. Berryville got a new coach, and the previous coach was using a run heavy offense and I am fairly certain the new coach will be using more of a spread passing game. Decatur should be a good opponent to test the wrinkles out in a new offense for the Berryville Bobcats..... I'll go Berryville 42 Decatur 6

Mountainburg @ Cedarville- I anticipate this being one of the more tightly contested games in 2A week one. Not saying it will be 2 juggernauts whatsoever. Just stating that I think the score will be close and Mountainburg has become quite a steady decent little program in the last few years. Mountainburg will be replacing a lot, but fairly certain they return their RB so they may go to a run heavy offense. My prediction is based off Mountainburg taking a small dip. They might just prove me wrong and keep exceeding expectations yet another year. Week 1 is always a weird one getting adjusted to a new style of play after senior departures from the season before especially in smaller classifications with limited roster numbers. The game featuring these 2 rivals usually goes back and forth through the years, but again I expect this to be a close game and quite a low scoring affair with these programs knowing each other so well......I'll go Cedarville 20 Mountainburg 14

beach bum

I am sure I am missing a few other good ones, but some other games in 2A that jump out as ones for certain teams to make a statement or be good and competitive games are as followed..... Earle vs. Helena West Helena, Danville vs. Conway Christian, Lavaca vs. Gentry, Des Arc vs. Bald Knob, Camden HG vs. Smackover, and Rison vs. Fordyce

BisonFan1

Quote from: beach bum on August 13, 2017, 09:12:34 pm
I am sure I am missing a few other good ones, but some other games in 2A that jump out as ones for certain teams to make a statement or be good and competitive games are as followed..... Earle vs. Helena West Helena, Danville vs. Conway Christian, Lavaca vs. Gentry, Des Arc vs. Bald Knob, Camden HG vs. Smackover, and Rison vs. Fordyce

I am really looking forward to Des Arc vs. Bald Knob game.  That should be a good one.  I think that Danville/Conway Christian will be great one to see, as well. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas