• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 CFB season

Started by LRRandy, July 27, 2017, 02:09:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Fall practice is cranking up. Hooray!!! I really look forward to the season. I also look forward to the friendly (most times) back and forth with you guys over our disagreements.

So. Playoff teams. What 4 ya got? It is an exercise in guesswork I know but might as well kill some time. Will there be surprises or the usual suspects?

My four. tOhio State. Wisconsin. Penn St. Oklahoma St.

beach bum

Auburn, Washington, Ohio State, and Miami.....

jbtiger73

Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, and U$C gets in I believe. I know Bama and Florida State play in the first game of the season. But I believe both of those teams after a loss, can run the table the rest of the way and still have the strength of schedule to get in. Penn State, Wisconsin and LSU are probably other dark horse candidates to get in

beach bum

Teams also in the mix. I am fairly sure the teams that make it will be one of the four I listed above or the other nine teams I listed here.... Alabama, Penn State, Michigan, USC, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Oklahoma, LSU

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on July 27, 2017, 02:44:03 pm
Auburn, Washington, Ohio State, and Miami.....
those 4 would make for an interesting season. I was joking about the B1G flavor in my 4. What I hope and what I think are different. I really think it will be tOhio State, Florida State, Oklahoma St, Washington.

LRRandy

Quote from: jbtiger73 on July 27, 2017, 02:46:46 pm
Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State, and U$C gets in I believe. I know Bama and Florida State play in the first game of the season. But I believe both of those teams after a loss, can run the table the rest of the way and still have the strength of schedule to get in. Penn State, Wisconsin and LSU are probably other dark horse candidates to get in
I agree. Either Bama or FSU could win out after an initial loss and get in.

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on July 27, 2017, 02:49:09 pm
those 4 would make for an interesting season. I was joking about the B1G flavor in my 4. What I hope and what I think are different. I really think it will be tOhio State, Florida State, Oklahoma St, Washington.

A team no one is talking about is Oklahoma State for sure.... They score so many points in that soft Big 12 and their schedule is so favorable that they could be 11-0 going into the OU game and that not be the biggest shocker.

jbtiger73

You're absolutely right about OK State. Especially since they have the Big 12 title game back this year. I'm assuming they're gonna take the top 2 teams to play in in since they're still not playing divisions. But I wonder what will happen if the 2nd team in the conference, is lower ranked than the third ranked team in the college football poll. Wonder what type of mess that would be for the big 12.

VHSCoach2

South Florida will be this year's undefeated Group of 5 team that earns a bid for one of the New Year's 6 bowl games (but not the Playoffs).

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on July 27, 2017, 06:54:30 pm
South Florida will be this year's undefeated Group of 5 team that earns a bid for one of the New Year's 6 bowl games (but not the Playoffs).

That coach that left for Oregon left a ton of talent down in Tampa for Charlie Strong to work with.... I hope USF goes 12-0 and Texas goes 5-7 again.

Longfellow

Alabama DL Da'Shawn Hand arrested for DUI. Big loss for the first quarter of their season opener. Maybe he'll get off lucky and only be suspended for a day of practice or film session

LRRandy

Quote from: Longfellow on July 29, 2017, 09:47:31 am
Alabama DL Da'Shawn Hand arrested for DUI. Big loss for the first quarter of their season opener. Maybe he'll get off lucky and only be suspended for a day of practice or film session
come on, you know they will put the hammer down on this one. It will be a 4 film session suspension.

AirWarren

Ready to see what those hurricanes do this year.

Lumberjackfan1978

Alabama,Ohio State,Florida State, Oklahoma State

beach bum

LRRandy

Clemson at 6 looks high to me. Xichigan at 9 is way too high.

VHSCoach2

Per Brett McMurphy on Twitter:

Nick Saban said Alabama DE Da'Shawn Hand, arrested for DUI, will not be suspended "if he does everything (internally) he's supposed to do"

LRRandy

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on August 03, 2017, 06:59:35 pm
Per Brett McMurphy on Twitter:

Nick Saban said Alabama DE Da'Shawn Hand, arrested for DUI, will not be suspended "if he does everything (internally) he's supposed to do"
I really didn't expect anything less but this is such a joke. "He wasn't driving" is why Saban said the discipline is what it is. No Tuscalucifer, he was too drunk to drive. He cranked the  engine, turned on the lights but was so drunk that before he put it in drive he passed out. Nice image Nick. Stay a champion.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: AirWarren on July 29, 2017, 12:06:17 pm
Ready to see what those hurricanes do this year.

Gonna come watch in Jonesboro this year?

LRRandy

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on August 04, 2017, 11:03:10 am
Gonna come watch in Jonesboro this year?
what an exciting thing for ASU to host a program like the U on campus. Good luck. Enjoy the electricity of the environment.

LRRandy

Wisconsin lost captain senior linebacker Cichy for the year to an ACL. Like Williams at Arkansas, you hate it for the kids having a dream time of their life come to a screeching halt playing the game they excel at due to injury.

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on August 10, 2017, 08:46:32 pm
Wisconsin lost captain senior linebacker Cichy for the year to an ACL. Like Williams at Arkansas, you hate it for the kids having a dream time of their life come to a screeching halt playing the game they excel at due to injury.

That just stinks.... I bet you even think this too competing against them with them being in the Big Ten, but Wisconsin is on the short list of programs that gets the most out of what they have to work with for sure and its hard for anybody to not respect them. Boise State and TCU were in that category until just recently. Throw in some programs like Kansas State & Virginia Tech in there too. All those are pretty impressive having winning seasons year after year at a recruiting/resource disadvantage.

mtindian42

Quote from: LRRandy on August 10, 2017, 08:46:32 pm
hate to hear that...hopefully it all works out for him!

Coach Mac

Memphis Tigers all day mane

Coach Mac

Memphis Tigers all day everyday

beach bum

Quote from: Coach Mac on August 14, 2017, 04:56:21 pm
Memphis Tigers all day everyday

Memphis has actually been pretty impressive the last few seasons....

Redwolves8526

Redwolves8526

Quote from: LRRandy on August 04, 2017, 12:37:28 pm
what an exciting thing for ASU to host a program like the U on campus. Good luck. Enjoy the electricity of the environment.

I can't wait. I don't think we'll have much of a chance, but it is a great thing for ASU nonetheless. I think our best chance at a Power 5 victory is at Nebraska. But it will be incredible to see the atmosphere in Jonesboro with Miami in town. Hopefully it will be exciting past the 1st quarter though lol

VHSCoach2

College football officially returns tomorrow with the Week 0 games.

Oregon State at Colorado State will be the first game to kickoff at 1:30 PM. The nightcap will be (14)Stanford vs. Rice from Sydney, Australia, slated for a 9:00 PM kickoff central time.

In between those two games, Portland State at Brigham Young at 2:00, Hawaii at Massachusetts at 5:00, and (19)South Florida at San Jose State at 6:30.

Not the most exciting slate, but college football is college football.

LRRandy

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on August 25, 2017, 07:20:33 am
College football officially returns tomorrow with the Week 0 games.

Oregon State at Colorado State will be the first game to kickoff at 1:30 PM. The nightcap will be (14)Stanford vs. Rice from Sydney, Australia, slated for a 9:00 PM kickoff central time.

In between those two games, Portland State at Brigham Young at 2:00, Hawaii at Massachusetts at 5:00, and (19)South Florida at San Jose State at 6:30.

Not the most exciting slate, but college football is college football.
totally agree. On both counts. Can't wait for Thursday night

beach bum

Listening to Chip Kelly talk anybody else in my boat thinking he will end up at one of these 3 SEC schools next season depending on who gets fired..... I love doing these theoretical scenarios. They all will be able to throw a huge sum of cash at him to bring him back to the college game. His style and personality is not suited for the NFL, but he is the perfect college coach for his offensive scheme.

Option A: TENNESSEE, He could thrive here within 2 years at this school. He would prefer it here in the East if Butch Jones goes 7-5 which is not that crazy if it were to happen.

Option B: TEXAS A&M, Give him Texas to recruit all the offense he wants. This would stink for Arkansas's future if this was to happen. A 7-5 or even 8-4 season will see Sumlin go. 7-5 for sure.

Option C: ARKANSAS, Only if option A and B were not open along with another school like Notre Dame wanting him if they fired their current coach who has a hot seat after their 4-8 season. Arkansas of these 3 SEC schools would have to pony up some serious cash to have him go to Fayetteville in particular. Sadly, I think the only way Bert is fired is a 5-7 season. 6-6 or 7-5 and his buyout will keep him around. Again, this final scenario has to have a lot of dominos fall into place.

VHSCoach2

#19 South Florida is currently down 16-0 to San Jose State in the first quarter.

Oh, Charlie Strong...

beach bum

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on August 26, 2017, 07:23:08 pm
#19 South Florida is currently down 16-0 to San Jose State in the first quarter.

Oh, Charlie Strong...

I just feel bad for him.... They better keep it under 17 points to give themselves a punchers chance the final 3 quarters. Their QB is so good he can bring them back 2 scores so fast. Anymore than that and I can't see them coming back.

Longfellow

Quote from: beach bum on August 26, 2017, 07:11:49 pm
Listening to Chip Kelly talk anybody else in my boat thinking he will end up at one of these 3 SEC schools next season depending on who gets fired..... I love doing these theoretical scenarios. They all will be able to throw a huge sum of cash at him to bring him back to the college game. His style and personality is not suited for the NFL, but he is the perfect college coach for his offensive scheme.

Option A: TENNESSEE, He could thrive here within 2 years at this school. He would prefer it here in the East if Butch Jones goes 7-5 which is not that crazy if it were to happen.

Option B: TEXAS A&M, Give him Texas to recruit all the offense he wants. This would stink for Arkansas's future if this was to happen. A 7-5 or even 8-4 season will see Sumlin go. 7-5 for sure.

Option C: ARKANSAS, Only if option A and B were not open along with another school like Notre Dame wanting him if they fired their current coach who has a hot seat after their 4-8 season. Arkansas of these 3 SEC schools would have to pony up some serious cash to have him go to Fayetteville in particular. Sadly, I think the only way Bert is fired is a 5-7 season. 6-6 or 7-5 and his buyout will keep him around. Again, this final scenario has to have a lot of dominos fall into place.
Do you really think Notre Dame would fire Chip Kelly's brother to hire him? Arkansas seems much more likely than ND

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on August 27, 2017, 05:22:42 pm
Do you really think Notre Dame would fire Chip Kelly's brother to hire him? Arkansas seems much more likely than ND

How the heck did I not know they were brothers.... That is embarrassing on my part to not know that how much they look alike. You can tell he is itching to get back on the field and coach though.

LRRandy

Quote from: Longfellow on August 27, 2017, 05:22:42 pm
lol. I didn't think they were, but you did make me check google. Salute

LRRandy

Game Day!!!!!!!

Buckeyes and Hogs both open the season tonight. The wait is over. I'm actually going to the Razorback game since my wife wants to go and it may be the last one at War Memorial stadium. I'll follow the Buckeyes on my phone and watch the replay later. Hooray!! Football season is here!!

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on August 31, 2017, 07:45:00 am
Game Day!!!!!!!

Buckeyes and Hogs both open the season tonight. The wait is over. I'm actually going to the Razorback game since my wife wants to go and it may be the last one at War Memorial stadium. I'll follow the Buckeyes on my phone and watch the replay later. Hooray!! Football season is here!!

That is a unique little matchup having the Buckeyes go to Bloomington on the first Thursday of the year....

beach bum

Indiana up by 1 at the beginning of the 3rd quarter

LRRandy

Quote from: beach bum on August 31, 2017, 09:25:10 pm
Indiana up by 1 at the beginning of the 3rd quarter
watching the replay now. Indiana played well. Exposed the youth in the Buckeyes secondary. Pulled away in the third quarter with speed. Good win. Lots to work on though with Oklahoma up next.

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on August 31, 2017, 11:23:34 pm
watching the replay now. Indiana played well. Exposed the youth in the Buckeyes secondary. Pulled away in the third quarter with speed. Good win. Lots to work on though with Oklahoma up next.

That was just a weird game to play week 1 for the Buckeyes.... Indiana was fired up and it showed the first half. It's a 60 minute game and the Buckeyes showed who they were to the Hoosiers eventually.

LRRandy

Lots of games today! Bama or FSU? Xichigan or Florida? Some good games on tap. Enjoy the day.

Longfellow

I'm watching one game today. Louisville and Purdue. That's it

BigLion10

Quote from: Longfellow on September 02, 2017, 09:25:35 am
I'm watching one game today. Louisville and Purdue. That's it
Boilermakers by 28  ;D ;D

LRRandy

Quote from: BigLion10 on September 02, 2017, 09:27:50 am
Boilermakers by 28  ;D ;D
wouldn't that be something.

Regarding the big games. Until proven otherwise Bama has too much on both sides of the ball for FSU. Unless there are turnovers by Bama I say they cover the 7 point spread.
Florida probably wins their game if they don't have to suspend all those players. If however they could pull off the win it would be fun seeing Harbaugh squirm. The meltdown that would ensue from the maize and blue crowd would also be something to see.

Longfellow

LRRandy

VHSCoach2

Florida State QB Deondre Francois is out for the season after tearing his patella tendon in last night's loss to Alabama.

Longfellow

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas