• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rules Good or Bad for HS Football?

Started by Nacho, July 27, 2017, 10:29:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: cuckoobird on July 28, 2017, 02:53:51 pm
Finally Guv is correct

What I saw some officials do to Watson Chapel one Friday night (I believe it was in the late 90's) I will never forget.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on July 28, 2017, 11:39:41 am
^ That's a problem as well. Money isn't good enough for some of the distances traveled and some of the coaches they have to put up with..and fans!!

I bet some of the coaches feel the same way about some of the officials they have to deal with. 

footballfan-tastic

Ever seen a game where the flags against the visiting team outnumber the home team by 2-3 to 1 and the same official seems to be throwing almost all of those flags and he is working the sideline of the home team?

Wonderdog

Officiating is a tough job to say the least. Here is what I notice on any given Friday in football season, or any other athletic season for that matter: Officials are going to make bad calls, they will make good calls as well. Coaches are going to make bad calls, they will also....guess what....make good calls too. I think it comes down to being human. Mistakes will happen. How each side responds determines a lot on the thoughts and feelings when the contest is over.

When an official makes a bad call, how should the coach respond?
When a coach makes a bad call, how should the fans respond?

I bet if you asked the question applicable to the coach/official, they would have similar answers. I think each of them would want a shot at redemption, the chance to make the right call with the next opportunity. I rarely see officials get aggressive with a coach or the fans, but I have seen a number of coaches and fans speak or act aggressively towards officials. That is why there is a shortage, having to deal with that more often than not. Its not about the money if I had to guess.

GuvHog

Quote from: Wonderdog on July 28, 2017, 11:30:48 pm
Officiating is a tough job to say the least. Here is what I notice on any given Friday in football season, or any other athletic season for that matter: Officials are going to make bad calls, they will make good calls as well. Coaches are going to make bad calls, they will also....guess what....make good calls too. I think it comes down to being human. Mistakes will happen. How each side responds determines a lot on the thoughts and feelings when the contest is over.

When an official makes a bad call, how should the coach respond?
When a coach makes a bad call, how should the fans respond?

I bet if you asked the question applicable to the coach/official, they would have similar answers. I think each of them would want a shot at redemption, the chance to make the right call with the next opportunity. I rarely see officials get aggressive with a coach or the fans, but I have seen a number of coaches and fans speak or act aggressively towards officials. That is why there is a shortage, having to deal with that more often than not. Its not about the money if I had to guess.

Officials do make honest mistakes and those I can accept but what those officials did to Watson Chapel that Friday night in the late 90's was not an honest mistake, it was pure unacceptable officiating incompetence. That referee in particular, should have been relieved of his license and should never have been allowed to officiate another game.

gameoflife

Some officials think the game is about them.  That's a fact.  Some allow themselves to be worked by a particular head coach, that's a fact also.  Some guys just show up, do a good job, are easy to work with and stay out of the way of the game.  Those are the good ones.

Big Fan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2017, 08:57:54 am
but what those officials did to Watson Chapel that Friday night in the late 90's was not an honest mistake, it was pure unacceptable officiating incompetence.
It was the correct call, just took a while to get it right.

GuvHog

Quote from: Big Fan on July 29, 2017, 11:04:02 am
It was the correct call, just took a while to get it right.

No it wasn't the correct call, the whole overtime was an officiating disaster.

Big Fan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 29, 2017, 01:11:37 pm
No it wasn't the correct call, the whole overtime was an officiating disaster.
They were your refs

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Big Fan on July 31, 2017, 11:11:25 am
They were your refs

Which means they were most definitely from Pine Bluff, which would explain the incompetence.

Jimbo Morphis

GuvHog

Quote from: Big Fan on July 31, 2017, 11:11:25 am
They were your refs

No, they were from out of town and were assigned the game by the AOA. The AOA decides which crew officiates where.

GuvHog

As far as rule changes go, the AAA needs to switch to college football rules for overtime play.

Big Fan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 31, 2017, 02:26:25 pm
No, they were from out of town and were assigned the game by the AOA. The AOA decides which crew officiates where.
They were on your payroll....you paid them.

GuvHog

Quote from: Big Fan on July 31, 2017, 02:28:26 pm
They were on your payroll....you paid them.

The home team always pays the 0fficials the required amount but they don't choose the officials for the games, the AOA does that.

When a Referee doesn't even know what a Dead Ball Delay of game penalty is, he doesn't need to be a Referee.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: GuvHog on July 31, 2017, 02:50:06 pm
The home team always pays the 0fficials the required amount but they don't choose the officials for the games, the AOA does that.

Was this a playoff game? If so, then yes the refs were assigned. If not, it's up to the conferences to decide if they want refs assigned or not (i.e. the 2-4A has an assignor, I believe the 8-4A does not).

Rulesman

The AAA selects and pays the officials for post-season games only. The home team doesn't have a dog in that hunt.

GuvHog

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on July 31, 2017, 02:55:54 pm
Was this a playoff game? If so, then yes the refs were assigned. If not, it's up to the conferences to decide if they want refs assigned or not (i.e. the 2-4A has an assignor, I believe the 8-4A does not).

It was the last regular season game of the year. The Conference had an assignor.

Big Fan

The home team always pays the 0fficials the required amount
You should have paid them more if you wanted calls made a certain way......

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: GuvHog on July 31, 2017, 02:26:25 pm
Making up stuff again.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: GuvHog on August 02, 2017, 03:03:51 pm
It was the last regular season game of the year. The Conference had an assignor.

Which is it?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas