• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Astros

Started by RATTLER43, July 15, 2017, 11:25:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

November 06, 2017, 06:48:01 pm #100 Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:10:58 pm by bleudog
This ran in the Houston paper:

RATTLER43

Altuve, Springer win silver slugger at their respective positions.

RATTLER43

RATTLER43

Altuve has been named the Player of the Year by the Sporting News and Baseball America, has won the AL Hank Aaron Award and two MLBPA Players Choice Awards for the Major League Player of the Year and the AL Most Outstanding Player. He also took home his fourth consecutive Silver Slugger Award.
Altuve, who made his fifth All-Star team, won his third career and second consecutive batting title after leading the Major Leagues with a .346 batting average. He also led the AL in hits (204) and became the first player in Major League history to be the outright leader in hits in his league in four consecutive seasons. World Series champion.   American League MVP.

Quite a season and quite a player.

bleudog

You gotta love it. I wonder how many execs wouldn't have given Altuve a shot because he doesn't fit the "metric."

RATTLER43

True.  He is truly amazing.  Read an article that said at age 27 only Aaron, Cobb, and Rose had more hits. 

RATTLER43

Not Astros news, but MLB discussion:  where is Chipper Jones on your all-time list of 3rd basemen?

I've got
Schmidt
Robinson
Brett
Chipper
Mathews
Boggs
Beltre

Top three in any order for me.

bleudog

George Springer is the first player in MLB HISTORY with a leadoff homer on opening day in back-to-back seasons.

Hopefully just one of many Springer Dingers this season.

RATTLER43

bleudog

Mulerider4Life

Anti-Major league baseball fan here. haha. Just Kidding. I like to go to a game in person every once in a while. Cool to see a big league ballpark.

RATTLER43

beach bum

bleudog

RATTLER43

RATTLER43

What is your take on game 1 and Sale vs. Verlander?

Analysis and Prediction

RATTLER43

Hoping we get to Sale.  Picking Astros in 6.

bleudog

October 13, 2018, 07:55:05 pm #117 Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:00:20 pm by bleudog
Stros play well on the road.  Would be nice to get at least one of the first group where it's cold.  Verlander is a hoss.

Good start.  It's 2-0 good guys in the bottom of the second.

bleudog

Stros haiving a great top of the ninth.  Up 7-2 with one out and a runner on second.

RATTLER43

Hope Cole follows JV's gritty game with his own great game.

bleudog

That's been the pattern. Hopefully it continues.

RATTLER43

They just plain outplayed us....

bleudog

Quote from: RATTLER43 on October 19, 2018, 07:30:53 am
They just plain outplayed us....

Yep.  But 100+ wins and a final four appearance is a lot better than it has been some years.

RATTLER43

Agreed. And a little more focus when we return next year should be fine.  I still think we are the better team..... just not in this series.  Errors, bad judgement on basepaths, could not throw strikes at times, etc.  They just outplayed us.  They, on the other hand, seemed intensely focused as evidenced by plays by Andrew B. and Mookie B. that reminded me of plays we made on our run last year.   So, here is to a great year and hopefully back on top next year!

WPWells

I don't like the Red Sox one bit, and even though I'm a diehard fan of the Birds, I have some affinity to the Stros; however, if the Red Sox had to win that series, I'm glad it was on the back of Benny Baseball.

bleudog

Quote from: WPWells on October 19, 2018, 02:20:53 pm
I don't like the Red Sox one bit, and even though I'm a diehard fan of the Birds, I have some affinity to the Stros; however, if the Red Sox had to win that series, I'm glad it was on the back of Benny Baseball.

He went all or nothing on the last play of game four and it worked out well for his team.

RATTLER43

Hoping for another October celebration!

bleudog

RATTLER43

It is all opinion and such, but if they could win another title, I believe it puts them in the discussion of greatest teams ever.

I know the Ruth/Gehrig Yankees, Dimaggio yanks, Mantle, Berra, Ford yanks belong and dominated for decades.
Orioles of the 60s and 70s with Brooks and Frank Robinson plus the incredible pitching with Palmer leading the way. (Grich is way overlooked).
Big Red Machine Bench, Rose, Morgan, Perez, Foster ... and Oakland Mr. October, Catfish, Rollie, Blue Moon, Vida, Holtzman, Lindblad, Rudi, Tenace, Sal, Campy, Scrap Iron, Angel, and Jesus (gotta love the names/nicknames) ... of the 70s with greats all over the field.
Yanks with the dynasty and Braves Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, and Chipper of the 90s/00s.
among so many other great teams of the past.

Verlander, Cole, Grienke staff plus Altuve, Bregman, Springer.  Sprinkle in Alvarez, Correa, and Brantley and it has the chance for all-time greatness.

bleudog

Quote from: RATTLER43 on October 02, 2019, 11:16:01 am
It is all opinion and such, but if they could win another title, I believe it puts them in the discussion of greatest teams ever.

I know the Ruth/Gehrig Yankees, Dimaggio yanks, Mantle, Berra, Ford yanks belong and dominated for decades.
Orioles of the 60s and 70s with Brooks and Frank Robinson plus the incredible pitching with Palmer leading the way. (Grich is way overlooked).
Big Red Machine Bench, Rose, Morgan, Perez, Foster ... and Oakland Mr. October, Catfish, Rollie, Blue Moon, Vida, Holtzman, Lindblad, Rudi, Tenace, Sal, Campy, Scrap Iron, Angel, and Jesus (gotta love the names/nicknames) ... of the 70s with greats all over the field.
Yanks with the dynasty and Braves Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, and Chipper of the 90s/00s.
among so many other great teams of the past.

Verlander, Cole, Grienke staff plus Altuve, Bregman, Springer.  Sprinkle in Alvarez, Correa, and Brantley and it has the chance for all-time greatness.

My family ended up staying in the same hotel the '72 A's were staying in when they were in KC to play the Royals.  I was in pre-teen autograph Heaven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Oakland_Athletics_season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Oakland_Athletics_season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Oakland_Athletics_season

RATTLER43

Wow!  Autograph Heaven is right.  That team was loaded. 

I was an Astros fan attending games with Dierker and Cedeno being my favorites in the early then mid-70s.  As the years went by, I realized that most of my autographs included the likes of Stretch Suba, Mike Fischlin, Joaquin Andujar, Mark Lemongello, Bo McLaughlin, Hoggy Hermann, and the like.  But, they were gracious to wait for all 5 of us seeking autographs (of the maybe 3,000 total fans in the 'dome.) and they were free!! 

bleudog

Quote from: RATTLER43 on October 02, 2019, 02:01:24 pm
Wow!  Autograph Heaven is right.  That team was loaded. 

I was an Astros fan attending games with Dierker and Cedeno being my favorites in the early then mid-70s.  As the years went by, I realized that most of my autographs included the likes of Stretch Suba, Mike Fischlin, Joaquin Andujar, Mark Lemongello, Bo McLaughlin, Hoggy Hermann, and the like.  But, they were gracious to wait for all 5 of us seeking autographs (of the maybe 3,000 total fans in the 'dome.) and they were free!! 

From my 'Dome trip before I hit double digits in age. (note the price  :o )

I made another trip about 30 years later to make sure my then 10 year old son saw a game in the 'Dome before the 'stros move downtown.  We got Lima to autograph a cap for him that day.

RATTLER43

Love it.  Good stuff. 

RATTLER43

Verlander -  awesome!
Cole - incredible!
Grienke - throwing strikes and getting bombed ...   

RATTLER43

Our bats have cooled off.   Rays pitching is on fire right now.

Hope Cole has something in the tank.  We look vulnerable.

Rays look good.  Must give them credit.

bleudog

Nine more wins. But one of those has to be tonight.

RATTLER43

I like your way of thinking. I actually think if we win the series, we are right back in the driver's seat. (It's tomorrow night, btw.)  I think Grienke will be much better going forward in the playoffs and our studs will be back to normal rest.   

Need to string some hits together to help Cole.   The relief group was effective yesterday.  Just got to JV early and we couldn't drive in runs.

bleudog

October 09, 2019, 10:22:56 am #137 Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:41:59 am by bleudog
Quote from: RATTLER43 on October 09, 2019, 10:01:37 am
I like your way of thinking. I actually think if we win the series, we are right back in the driver's seat. (It's tomorrow night, btw.)  I think Grienke will be much better going forward in the playoffs and our studs will be back to normal rest.   

Need to string some hits together to help Cole.   The relief group was effective yesterday.  Just got to JV early and we couldn't drive in runs.

Well dang, I got my days mixed up.  Those two other #5s thru me off.  ;D

Still need nine wins with the next game a suitcase game.

RATTLER43

The excitement of a game 5 ...

Yep.  9 big ones.

bleudog

Bring on the Yankees.

Eight wins to go.

RATTLER43

Yes!   Cole was dealing again. 

RATTLER43

Astros postseason play is limited when talking historically; yet, historically amazing games have been played:
Dodgers/Astros in strike season
Phillies/Astros was best I had seen at that point
Mets/Astros topped it
Astros/Cardinals   that Pujols hit is still going......
Astros/Yankees 2017
Astros/Dodgers  Games 2 and 5 may the best ever!!
Astros/Yankees again   (last night, Correa made thee key plays to make it look like it could go 7 now and join the previous great series)

Time for Cole to go to work and Astros hitters to come alive with men on base.

bleudog

October 14, 2019, 06:44:09 pm #142 Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:56:45 pm by bleudog
Quote from: RATTLER43 on October 14, 2019, 08:17:45 am
Astros postseason play is limited when talking historically; yet, historically amazing games have been played:
Dodgers/Astros in strike season
Phillies/Astros was best I had seen at that point
Mets/Astros topped it
Astros/Cardinals   that Pujols hit is still going......
Astros/Yankees 2017
Astros/Dodgers  Games 2 and 5 may the best ever!!
Astros/Yankees again   (last night, Correa made thee key plays to make it look like it could go 7 now and join the previous great series)

Time for Cole to go to work and Astros hitters to come alive with men on base.

Great list.  +1

Those Phillies and Mets series were epic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_National_League_Championship_Series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_National_League_Championship_Series

Don't forget:  https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2012/4/24/2971026/astros-history-18-inning-2005-nlds-game-against-the-atlanta-braves  (I found the Chris Burke SGA bobblehead in a flea market a few years ago)

RATTLER43

Yes sir.  Nice addition. 

bleudog

Five more to go.

Hopefully JV has a World Series invitation in his pocket on the plane trip back to Houston.

RATTLER43

Agreed. 

Nice to see Greinke pitch well against that formidable lineup last night.  Relievers were so good.  Astros home runs won it, but all those Yankee errors were a big surprise and a help to the cause to put it away.

JacketFan

Altuve walks it off, 2-run homer to win it in the 9th to send the Astros to the World Series

bleudog

AAAALLLLLLLTTTTTUUUUVVVVEEEE!!!!!

The 'streauxs are geauxin' to the WORLD SERIES!

Four wins to go.

RATTLER43

Ryan, Mays, Biggio, and Altuve are my all time favorites with Altuve moving up the ranks quickly!!  What a team, series, game, Play, and player!

beach bum

Nothing better than seeing the Yankees and Cardinals lose... Way to go Astros.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas