• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Houston Astros

Started by RATTLER43, July 15, 2017, 11:25:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RATTLER43

Are there any other Astros fans on here?

My Cowboys, Lakers, Razorbacks, etc have been quite successful.   But my Astros............

I started following them in the early 70s.  Dierker, Cedeno, Watson, Wilson, etc.

I got to watch many games in the dome.  Got to see Nolan Ryan and J.R. Richard pitch along with Niekro, Bannister, Forsch, Lemongello for the home team.  Seaver, Carlton, Perry, Niekro, Sutton (for both) among others pitch against. 

Bench, Stargell, Morgan, Concepcion, Schmidt, Rose, Brock, Murphy, Winfield, Dawson among others bat in the dome.   Saw many including Gene Tenace trying to hit the roof during BP.  I thought it was so cool.

Got to see the Ryan-Scott Astros then the Biggio-Bagwell killer Bs.  Finally, Clemens and Johnson led teams.

Enough reminiscing about those days when the Astros were occasionally good. They are absolutely on fire now and I am getting to enjoy being a fan of the oftentimes doormat of the league.  love Altuve, Correa, Springer, Keuchal, and the rest.

So, again, any Astros fans on this board?

beach bum

Cubs fan... We stink again haha. I like the thread though! Who else do people call their team though? I miss the Astros in the NL Central sometime. I think they fit now in that AL West just fine now though. The Texas rivalry all the time now with the Rangers.

RATTLER43

Maybe.  But you got the title last year!

I hated the idea of going to the AL originally.  I guess winning solved it for me.   And I do enjoy the rivalry with the Rangers.   

Mostly Cardinals fans in here.  Just checking for fans of Astros or others.   

LRRandy

I hated the Astros!!  ;D

Big Red Machine here. I grew up 50 miles from Riverfront stadium so I went to many games. Rose, Bench, Morgan, Perez, Foster, Griffey , Concepcion were who I cut my teeth on as a child. The Astros always played the Reds hard. Cruz, Bergman, Ashby, Cedeno, Andujar, Richard, Scott, Ryan had some great teams.

I moved to Arkansas  in '88. Married my Razorback bride in '92. We went to Houston for a long weekend in '94 to watch the Reds v Astros. As we walked in the dome the guy taking tickets said to my wife " he looks like a kid in a candy store". I was so excited to be seeing my beloved Reds and especially in the dome that I had always seen on TV and wanted to visit. The city of Houston was electric because the Rockets had just won the NBA championship. We had a blast.

beach bum

Quote from: LRRandy on July 15, 2017, 04:51:19 pm
I hated the Astros!!  ;D

Big Red Machine here. I grew up 50 miles from Riverfront stadium so I went to many games. Rose, Bench, Morgan, Perez, Foster, Griffey , Concepcion were who I cut my teeth on as a child. The Astros always played the Reds hard. Cruz, Bergman, Ashby, Cedeno, Andujar, Richard, Scott, Ryan had some great teams.

I moved to Arkansas  in '88. Married my Razorback bride in '92. We went to Houston for a long weekend in '94 to watch the Reds v Astros. As we walked in the dome the guy taking tickets said to my wife " he looks like a kid in a candy store". I was so excited to be seeing my beloved Reds and especially in the dome that I had always seen on TV and wanted to visit. The city of Houston was electric because the Rockets had just won the NBA championship. We had a blast.

Cincy is quietly a GREAT sports town. They love their Reds and even when the Bengals stink they show up. Also, most don't but I follow soccer and their team Cincinnati FC is not even an MLS team but their following is so good they will probably become MLS soon. One of their games at Nippert was on ESPN a month ago and sold out. I hope they become MLS soon with a following like that in Cincy.

beach bum

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 15, 2017, 03:46:42 pm
Maybe.  But you got the title last year!

I hated the idea of going to the AL originally.  I guess winning solved it for me.   And I do enjoy the rivalry with the Rangers.   

Mostly Cardinals fans in here.  Just checking for fans of Astros or others.

Oh yes Arkansas is Cards country. I am up in NWA and you are starting to see more and more Royals fans pop up especially with the AA Naturals in Springdale. But still the Cards rule. I notice even Cards fans outnumber Rangers fans even in southern Arkansas. Braves fans seem to be another popular one when they used to play them on TBS in this area in the 90's when they were rolling. The Braves have been so bad lately though.

RATTLER43

Quote from: LRRandy on July 15, 2017, 04:51:19 pm
I hated the Astros!!  ;D

I went to some Reds games during the late 70s, early 80s, but especially the strike season.  Dome was packed.  And as you said, it was electric.   I got a number of autographs but was more excited about Andujar's than any. 

I hated the Reds but still believe that that lineup was the best ever.  Rose, Morgan, Griffey, Bench, Foster, Perez, Concepcion, Geronimo was so tough.  With more pitching they could have been the greatest team ever.  Hated yet respected their greatness.

I've also attended a Mets game in mid 70s when Astros were absolutely terrible.  About 3000 fans as announced attendance.  By the 16th inning we could only count about 20 of us in the dome.  But it was still a blast.

beach bum

RATTLER43

Came close twice......but no cigar.   White Sox in series and even RJ couldn't pitch us past the Padres.

bleudog

July 15, 2017, 06:20:37 pm #9 Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:21:07 pm by bleudog
Geaux 'Streauxs!

Went to the Dome in '69.  Took my son back in '99 when he was about the same age I was then.

These went the wrong way, but were classics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_National_League_Championship_Series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_National_League_Championship_Series

I remember watching one of Ryan's no hitters on the Saturday Game of the Week.  Terry Puhl made a great catch in right field to save a hit.   https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/HOU/HOU198109260.shtml

RATTLER43

Yes!   I always thought those NL championship series vs. Mets and Phillies are still the best I've seen.

Puhl was a fine player.

Who started on the mound in that 69 game?   

WPWells

The Cardinals are my #1 sports team. I love them even more than I love the Razorbacks. That said, I think the Astros win the World Series this year.

bleudog

July 15, 2017, 09:20:06 pm #12 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:28:30 pm by bleudog
Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 15, 2017, 08:22:01 pm
Yes!   I always thought those NL championship series vs. Mets and Phillies are still the best I've seen.

Puhl was a fine player.

Who started on the mound in that 69 game?   

I'm afraid I don't remember a lot of details of that Astrodome trip since I was less than 10 years old.  I do remember it was against the Dodgers and one never forgets coming out of one of those grandstand tunnels and seeing a major league field for the first time.

RATTLER43

Agreed.  Was awesome for sure for me as well.   

bleudog

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/HOU/1969-roster.shtml

I was a Joe Morgan fan because of the elbow flap.  Got to see the Toy Cannon.

LRRandy

July 16, 2017, 07:31:21 am #15 Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:33:02 am by LRRandy
Quote from: bleudog on July 15, 2017, 09:20:06 pm
I'm afraid I don't remember a lot of details of that Astrodome trip since I was less than 10 years old.  I do remember it was against the Dodgers and one never forgets coming out of of those grandstand tunnels and seeing a major league field for the first time.
that is exactly right. I can still remember that second grade field trip in 1973. Day game against the SF Giants at Riverfront stadium. Seeing all those colors of the different levels of seats, the scoreboard and how big it was compared to my small child self. I don't remember much from 1973. But I remember those sights from that day.

RATTLER43

July 17, 2017, 12:14:59 pm #16 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:24:57 am by RATTLER43
Loved Joe Morgan as a player!   Got to see him play for Cinci, Houston the second time, and for Philadelphia.  But weirdly enough, my earliest memories of the dome were with Elvis Presley and Disney on Parade.   Astros came shortly thereafter for me.

Here is a youtube vid.  It is not mine but I must have been seated within 100 feet of these folks.   

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: beach bum on July 15, 2017, 05:29:46 pm
Braves fans seem to be another popular one when they used to play them on TBS

Every day.  I grew up a Braves fan because of this, even though they were terrible through most of the 80's.  Dale Murphy is my favorite player of all time.

I'm also a Red Sox fan by proxy.  My son's favorite player is Dustin Pedroia, so as he became interested in the Sox I started watching more and more of their games. 

dc24

Mariners fan here, so not so high on the Astros haha! But they are a machine.

Started with Griffey and then Ichiro was my second favorite player.

RATTLER43

Loved Dale Murphy.

My oldest brother took me to a Red Sox vs Royals game.  Got to watch Yaz, Brett, Rice, Boggs, Evans play.  Yaz knocked in the winning run.  KC fans cheered like crazy.   Yaz' final series of career in KC.

RATTLER43

Randy Johnson, Junior, A-Rod, Ichiro......lots of greats.

bleudog

July 17, 2017, 05:30:17 pm #21 Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:20:22 pm by bleudog
Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 17, 2017, 04:43:58 pm
Loved Dale Murphy.

My oldest brother took me to a Red Sox vs Royals game.  Got to watch Yaz, Brett, Rice, Boggs, Evans play.  Yaz knocked in the winning run.  KC fans cheered like crazy.   Yaz' final series of career in KC.

Went to a couple of Oakland vs KC games in 1972 as a pre-teen.  Ended up staying in the same hotel as the A's and was in autograph Heaven.

Catfish Hunter
Reggie Jackson
Vida Blue (my Dad took me back for the second game to see Blue pitch)
Rollie Fingers
Sal Bando
Bert Campaneris
Dave Duncan
Joe Rudi
Blue Moon Odom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Oakland_Athletics_season

That was the first of the three-peat.

About the only Royal I can remember was Lou Piniella.  The games were played in the downtown stadium.  They moved to Kauffman Stadium the next year.

LRRandy

July 17, 2017, 06:55:27 pm #22 Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:38:26 pm by LRRandy
Great thread. By the names of players I'm seeing you guys post we seem to be about the same age (52) for sure the same era. Time demands and distance from Cincy has caused my familiarity with the team and thus my level of fandome to wain. I loved following the Red's growing up but even as the Red's were winning the '90 World Series I was preoccupied with a beautiful blonde Arkansan that I was dating ( celebrate 26 years tomorrow) and didn't watch every inning of that World Series like I should have.

Random memory.
During batting practice we would sneak down to the edge of the third base dugout to try and get autographs from the opposing team. The Padres were in town and I got Oscar Gamble to sign. I remember their young shortstop has his first name on the back of his jersey instead of his last name. Ozzie.

Thanks for the posts. It's been fun walking down memory lane to a great part of my youth.

RATTLER43

Yes, that Oakland team was incredible.   Great memories indeed.

Yep.  I'm 52 as well.    Loving the discussion myself.   

RATTLER43

July 17, 2017, 08:30:10 pm #24 Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:20:49 am by RATTLER43
Quote from: bleudog on July 17, 2017, 05:30:17 pm
Went to a couple of Oakland vs KC games in 1972 as a pre-teen.  Ended up staying in the same hotel as the A's and was in autograph Heaven.

Catfish Hunter
Reggie Jackson
Vida Blue (my Dad took me back for the second game to see Blue pitch)
Rollie Fingers
Sal Bando
Bert Campaneris
Dave Duncan
Joe Rudi
Blue Moon Odom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Oakland_Athletics_season

That was the first of the three-peat.

About the only Royal I can remember was Lou Piniella.  The games were played in the downtown stadium.  They moved to Kauffman Stadium the next year.

Speaking of autographs, I've got some nice ones but remember being excited to get Stretch Suba's and Mike Fischlin's.     Bullpen catcher and short term utility infielder.  Can't replace childhood excitement.   

Ozzie Smith!   Truly great autograph if you were able to get it.

RATTLER43

Quote from: dc24 on July 17, 2017, 04:40:37 pm
Mariners fan here, so not so high on the Astros haha! But they are a machine.

Started with Griffey and then Ichiro was my second favorite player.

My machine ran into a buzz saw last night.  Great game.

dc24

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 18, 2017, 09:19:45 am
My machine ran into a buzz saw last night.  Great game.

Yeah, that was a great game, I'm happy with one win, I'd be ecstatic with a win in one of the next two for the series.

RATTLER43

I am more concerned with mounting injuries.  Correa hurting again along with all the pitchers.   I really think it is the biggest obstacle that faces this group this season.

bleudog

RATTLER43

Hoping he remains healthy the rest of the way.

dc24

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 18, 2017, 12:23:23 pm
I am more concerned with mounting injuries.  Correa hurting again along with all the pitchers.   I really think it is the biggest obstacle that faces this group this season.

Big blow with losing Correa, but if there's a team that can overcome it, it would be Houston. I think Keuchel is key to them because he's their "ace" and it seems like to go through the playoffs you need at least one shutdown guy along with a strong bullpen. Houston's other starters are good, but McCullars is the closest thing to an ace and I don't think he's quite there yet.

All that said though, you're really grasping for straws trying to find a real "weakness." If they aren't fully healthy though, that can definitely change things.

bleudog

RATTLER43

Big weekend for longtime Astros fans. Bagwell joins Biggio in HOF.   

bleudog

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 30, 2017, 11:30:46 am
Big weekend for longtime Astros fans. Bagwell joins Biggio in HOF.   

Love what they did in front of the stadium.  There are statues of both.  They are 90 feet apart. 

Longfellow

Last day of my vacation in Houston and we're going to the Rays/Astros game tonight. First ever big league ball game

bleudog

August 01, 2017, 02:20:55 pm #35 Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:23:24 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Longfellow on August 01, 2017, 09:44:49 am
Last day of my vacation in Houston and we're going to the Rays/Astros game tonight. First ever big league ball game

Have a big time.  (That is if you'll accept well wishes from a Dragon fan)

thebigshot

Astros will get beat in the post-seasons. Yankees will win the world series this year against the LA Dodgers in game 7.

RATTLER43

Quote from: Longfellow on August 01, 2017, 09:44:49 am

Hope you had a blast!

Longfellow

Been so busy with work that I haven't been on here in a few days. The game was great!! The Astros lost, but I saw Evan Longoria hit for the cycle, and there were 4 or 5 highlight reel catches. We took the stadium tour and watched BP as well. Overall great experience at my first pro baseball game

RATTLER43

That's awesome!   So glad you got to do it and hope it is the first of many. 

Your post made me remember my first MLB game.  Was in the Astrodome.  Just wow. Great memories. 

BigLion10

Looks their pitching just got a lot better they aquired Justin Verlander from the Tigers

RATTLER43

I'm glad they took a chance. Now to get Correa and McCullers back.....

bleudog

Quote from: BigLion10 on September 01, 2017, 07:42:29 am
Looks their pitching just got a lot better they aquired Justin Verlander from the Tigers

Heard that this morning.  Do you know it this is a rent-a-few-months deal or something that might last awhile?

bleudog

October 05, 2017, 06:21:36 pm #43 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:23:14 pm by bleudog
ALTUVE with three home runs thru seven in the first game with the Bo Sox.

'stros up 8-2 after seven.

bleudog

October 05, 2017, 06:44:02 pm #44 Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 05:11:04 pm by bleudog
Boston 2
Houston 8

Final

HOUSTON leads series 1-0

RATTLER43

bleudog

8-1 'stros at the seventh inning stretch of game 2 vs Boston.

bleudog

Boston 2
Houston 8

Final

HOUSTON leads series 2-0

RATTLER43

Loving it but taking it one game at a time. 

bleudog

'Stros just need to win the next one 8-2 too.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas