• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships (June 7-10)

Started by AT, May 31, 2017, 01:16:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RATTLER43

Agreed.  The freshman from Georgia nailed that big jump on first attempt!  She was impressive.  I thought all along it was dependent upon our hep girls.  I was hoping our vaulters would well exceed and maybe go 1-2-5 or something along those lines.  Yes, I am a dreamer.......

That is one aspect I love about track.  True purity. Totally performance based. 

AT

The First Event of the Heptathlon, the Women's 100 Meter Hurdles, has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

2. Payton Stumbaugh - 13.17
3. Taliyah Brooks - 13.37
8. Leigha Brown - 13.73
DNF. Kelsey Herman

Heptathlon Standings after 1 of 7 Events:
2. Payton Stumbaugh - 1099
3. Taliyah Brooks - 1069
8. Leigha Brown - 1017
DNF. Kelsey Herman

AT

The Second Event of the Heptathlon, the Women's High Jump, has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

3. Taliyah Brooks - 1.75m
4. Leigha Brown - 1.72m
7. Payton Stumbaugh - 1.69m
DNS. Kelsey Herman

Heptathlon Standings after 2 of 7 Events:
2. Taliyah Brooks - 1985
3. Payton Stumbaugh - 1941
6. Leigha Brown - 1896
DNF. Kelsey Herman

beach bum

I love how ESPN U has been broadcasting a ton of this and some other networks too. I love the middle distance races the most. Anywhere from the 800m, 1500m, and 3000m steeplechase. I love it all but those races are just fun to watch materialize.

RATTLER43

Hogs took 4th so they exceeded expectations.  4x400, Mowatt, Pullen each came up big.

AT

June 11, 2017, 01:40:03 pm #55 Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:44:51 pm by Almatrackster
These are all delayed obviously, I'm just going to finish because I try to be a completionist when I can and I couldn't update during the meet.

The Men's High Jump has finished. No Razorbacks competed. Check the spreadsheet to see how the projections changed with 13 events remaining.

AT

The Men's Discus Throw has finished. No Razorbacks competed. Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 12 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 4 x 100 Meter Relay has finished. Here's how the Razorbacks did:

7. Arkansas - 38.82 - 2 POINTS

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 11 events remaining.

AT

The Men's Triple Jump has finished. Here's how the Razorbacks did:

2. Clive Pullen - 16.60m - 8 POINTS

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 10 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 1500 Meter Run has finished. No Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 9 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 3000 Meter Steeplechase has finished. No Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 8 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 110 Meter Hurdles has finished. No Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 7 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 100 Meter Dash has finished. No Razorbacks competed.

Look at the spreadsheet to see how projections changed with 6 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 400 Meter Dash has finished. No Razorbacks competed.

Look at the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 5 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 800 Meter Run has finished. No Razorbacks competed.

Look at the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 4 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 400 Meter Hurdles has finished. Here's how the Razorbacks did:

3. Kemar Mowatt - 48.49 - 6 POINTS (Personal Best)

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 3 events remaining.

AT

The Men's 200 Meter Dash has finished. No Razorbacks competed.

Look at the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed.

AT

The Men's 5000 Meter Run has finished. Here's how the Razorbacks did:

2. Arkansas - 14:35.88 - 8 POINTS

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 1 event remaining.

AT

The Men's 4 x 400 Meter Relay has finished. Here's how the Razorbacks did:

2. Arkansas - 3:01.84 - 8 POINTS (Season Best)

You can now look at the spreadsheet and see the final team scores. Here's the top ten

Top Ten Team Scores - Men
1. Florida - 61.5
2. Texas A&M - 59.5
3. Virginia - 36
4. Arkansas - 33
5. Auburn - 24
6. Georgia - 22.5
7. Tennessee - 20
7. LSU - 20
9. Oregon - 19.5
10. Alabama - 19

First off, let's just look at the top ten. Eight of the top ten teams are SEC. EIGHT. That is ridiculous. Virginia and Oregon being the only ones outside the conference.

Now the race for the team title: As I mentioned before the meet, I thought it would come down to Texas A&M and Florida and it did. There's multiple events where a little thing here and a little thing there for both teams decided it, but here are the two big ones:

In the 400 hurdles, Florida went 1st and 6th while A&M went 8th. Florida was definitely supposed to get more points, but not THAT many more points.

Another big thing was in the 800, A&M's runner had been one of the best late in the season and was projected to finish 3rd, while Florida's runner kind of scrapped his way into the final. Florida's runner finished ahead of A&M's runner and A&M guy finished 7th. Both of those races were unexpected boosts to Florida.

AT

As for the Arkansas men, as Rattler mentioned, truly a great meet compared to expectations. True, I'd like the Razorback men to get back to the NCAA title winning days, but they were supposed to be a fringe top ten team and they were pretty close to getting 3rd (finishing 4th after Virginia had an amazing day in the discus).

Not very many disappointments. Cotton not making the 100 or 200 final was a bit disappointing, but the sprints were so strong this year.

Our 4 x 100 didn't do as well at this meet as I thought they would, but we've kept up our scoring in the sprint relay that is starting to become tradition.

Kemar Mowatt was technically projected to win the 400 hurdles and finished 3rd, but he ran a personal best and school record to finish 3rd. The two people who beat him were just better that day.

Highlights of the meet: Seeing Clive Pullen going out with a bang in 2nd place in the TJ after last year's disappointment. Jack Bruce scoring 2nd in the 5K in a tactical race. The best one for me was the 4 x 400 going absolutely nuts. The 4 x 400 was not even projected to make the finals and they ended up finishing 2nd behind the best 4 x 400 collegiate team of all time. Trajkovski scoring his senior year, even if it was 1 point, was good to see.

A lot of people stepped up this meet.

AT

June 11, 2017, 05:32:34 pm #70 Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:36:36 pm by Almatrackster
The Third Event, the Women's Shot Put, of the Heptathlon has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

3. Leigha Brown - 12.56m
15. Payton Stumbaugh - 11.44m
16. Taliyah Brooks - 11.38m
DNS. Kelsey Herman

Standings after 3 of 7 Events
3. Taliyah Brooks - 2605
4. Leigha Brown - 2594
5. Payton Stumbaugh - 2565
DNF. Kelsey Herman

AT

The Fourth Event, the Women's 200 Meter Dash, of the Heptathlon has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

1. Payton Stumbaugh - 23.93
5. Taliyah Brooks - 24.81
7. Leigha Brown - 24.91
DNS. Kelsey Herman

Standings after 4 of 7 Events
2. Payton Stumbaugh - 3552
3. Taliyah Brooks - 3509
4. Leigha Brown - 3489
DNF. Kelsey Herman

AT

June 11, 2017, 05:40:53 pm #72 Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:54:30 pm by Almatrackster
The Fifth Event, the Women's Long Jump, of the Heptathlon has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

1. Taliyah Brooks - 6.50m (Personal Best)
12. Leigha Brown - 5.75m
19. Payton Stumbaugh - 4.56m
DNS. Kelsey Herman

Standings after 5 of 7 Events
2. Taliyah Brooks - 4516
4. Leigha Brown - 4263
12. Payton Stumbaugh - 3995
DNF. Kelsey Herman

AT

The Sixth Event, the Women's Javelin Throw, of the Heptathlon has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

14. Taliyah Brooks - 35.34m
15. Leigha Brown - 35.33m
F. Payton Stumbaugh
DNS. Kelsey Herman

Standings after 6 of 7 Events
3. Taliyah Brooks - 5094
5. Leigha Brown - 4841
DNF. Payton Stumbaugh
DNF. Kelsey Herman

AT

The Final Event, the Women's 800 Meter Run, of the Heptathlon has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

8. Leigha Brown - 2:17.85
16. Taliyah Brooks - 2:29.32
DNS. Payton Stumbaugh
DNS. Kelsey Herman

Final Heptathlon Standings
3. Taliyah Brooks - 5795 - 6 POINTS
4. Leigha Brown - 5694 - 5 POINTS
DNF. Payton Stumbaugh
DNF. Kelsey Herman

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 14 events remaining.

AT

The Women's High Jump has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 13 events remaining.

AT

The Women's Discus Throw has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 12 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 4 x 100 Meter Relay has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

6. Arkansas - 43.68 - 3 POINTS

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 11 events remaining.

RATTLER43

AT

The Women's Triple Jump has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 10 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 1500 Meter Run has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

2. Nikki Hiltz - 4:13.80 - 8 POINTS

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 9 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 3000 Meter Steeplechase has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections changed with 8 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 100 Meter Hurdles has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 7 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 100 Meter Dash has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 6 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 400 Meter Dash has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

4. Daina Harper - 51.42 - 5 POINTS

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 5 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 800 Meter Run has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 4 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 400 Meter Hurdles has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 3 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 200 Meter Dash has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 2 events remaining.

AT

The Women's 5000 Meter Run has finished. Here's how the Lady Razorbacks did:

22. Taylor Werner - 16:25.25
23. Abby Gray - 16:30.77

Check the spreadsheet to see how projections have changed with 1 event remaining.

AT

The Women's 4 x 400 Meter Relay has finished. No Lady Razorbacks competed.

The final team standings are updated on the spreadsheet.

Top Ten Women Team Scores
1. Oregon
2. Georgia
3. USC
4. Kentucky
5. Florida
6. Arkansas
7. Texas
7. LSU
9. Kansas State
10. Arizona State

AT

June 11, 2017, 10:35:42 pm #90 Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:28:21 pm by Almatrackster
Now to talk about the women. Arkansas's women finished 6th. You can tell Coach Harter has done an amazing job with this program because in a year where they finish top 6, you almost feel disappointed, but they fought hard, just not an optimal meet for the Lady Razorbacks.

We knew it'd be a difficult year after losing Dominique Scott and Taylor Ellis-Watson from the championship squad. It was apparent pretty early that we wouldn't have an ELITE 4 x 4 team like we've had for so many years. That's been such a staple in this program for so long, so I knew it would be a bit of a down year when we didn't have that.

Daina Harper was still a great 400 runner and keeps the tradition of amazing individual Lady Razorback 400 runners going. She had a great season and had a great NCAAs. She almost qualified our 4 x 4 for the finals by herself. Her anchor leg in the prelims was amazing.

I think RATTLER and I both love seeing native Arkansans go out and compete for our Razorbacks and it's been so good to see Jada Baylark burst onto the scene her freshman season. She qualified for NCAAs in the 100 and I didn't even expect her to qualify for regionals, much less nationals. Kiara Parker, the other 100 meter runner, also qualified and improved greatly throughout the year. These two were instrumental in getting our 4 x 100 team qualified for the finals for the first time in over a decade. (Veronica Campbell-Brown years)

In the 1500, Nikki Hiltz really shined. I was sad to see Therese Haiss not have a good semifinal run, but that's just how it goes sometimes. She had a great career here. But Nikki really went out and did amazing. She finished 2nd in the 1500 for some big points for her team.

Our 5K girls didn't have a good national meet, but Taylor Werner really did a great job all throughout the season. I think she might have been struggling with injuries outdoor, but what a great freshman campaign for her. The distance crew is very young and they have a bright future.

Damajahnee Birch in the 400 hurdles is on the verge of breaking out and she didn't quite qualify for the finals, but I see big things from her next year.

Let's go back to the 4 x 100 team. It was great to see this team make the finals with two native Arkansans in Jada Baylark and Payton Stumbaugh. They weren't expected to make it by any means (they were 7th at the SEC meet for Pete's sake) and they make the NCAA finals. Great progression and peaking.

Once again, our pole vaulters shined, especially our Cabot twins. Lexi with the gritty 2nd place finish and Tori with a nice 6th place finish. Desiree got 8th place. They are all sophomores. Lexi battles injuries all year and still finished 2nd. Amazing talent.

Our heptathletes did their best, but we just got unlucky. Rattler can tell you luck is a part of it. Kelsey Herman couldn't finish the first event (100 hurdles) and Payton got injured long jumping or I think all 4 of them score and we move up to 3rd place in the team standings.

A great season really and I am glad I was able to see it all.

We lose Leigha Brown, one of the Fearsome Foursome of the heptathletes. She had a great 5th place showing. We return the other three, Taliyah, Payton, and Kelsey.

We lose Daina Harper and I hope we can find another 400 runner like we usually do.  We return all our young distance runners. We really only lose one distance runner and that's Therese Haiss.

We also should get our stud steeplechase, Devin Clark, back from injury.

Kiara Parker and Jada Baylark should be back to boost our sprint relay crew.

Future is looking bright for the Lady Razorbacks. Cant wait to see the new freshman and the progressions for next year.

RATTLER43

Amen, brother.  Another spot on summary.  Still don't know exactly what happened with Kelsey and Payton with respect to not finishing and injury. Hoping neither is severe. I think we move right back into contention for title next year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas