• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which 5A team will surprise the most this season?

Started by jvallas_13, May 03, 2017, 12:08:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2017, 06:15:42 pm
They started a lot of Sophomores late in the season after a number of players were kicked off of the team and still made it to the semifinals of the 5A State playoffs so they won't be as young as you might think.

Oh, I wasn't aware they played that many.  Didn't know they had that many kicked off their team.

zebrafan

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on July 02, 2017, 07:04:48 pm
Oh, I wasn't aware they played that many.  Didn't know they had that many kicked off their team.
Thought there was only 2?

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: zebrafan on July 02, 2017, 10:50:48 pm

I'm beginning to think GuvHog sometimes speaks before he knows for sure.  I talked to those friends of friends that everybody has and they didn't know about alot of sophomore starting last year.  I also heard again that several coaches are not returning from the staff that made the semi final. 

GuvHog

Quote from: zebrafan on July 02, 2017, 10:50:48 pm

There were several that weren't officially kicked off, but were suspended for the season from the team. A number of 9th graders moved up after their season ended and a few started in the playoffs. As I stated before, I haven't heard anything about the coaches but that doesn't mean what you stated isn't true, It just means I don't know.

zebrafan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 03, 2017, 12:26:17 pm
There were several that weren't officially kicked off, but were suspended for the season from the team. A number of 9th graders moved up after their season ended and a few started in the playoffs. As I stated before, I haven't heard anything about the coaches but that doesn't mean what you stated isn't true, It just means I don't know.
Okay wasnt sure on that, I was aware they played some to be 10th graders late in the season/playoffs.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: GuvHog on July 03, 2017, 12:26:17 pm

GovHog, I'm really confused.  Starters suspended for the year? Playing 9th graders in the playoffs?  Do you know who these kids are or what positions they were starting at?  I'm hearing a different story but maybe my sources are just plain wrong.  If this is true then Watson Chapel should be able to make a strong run in the conference and more importantly in the playoffs again.  Is a championship possible with the crew coming back?

GuvHog

July 04, 2017, 02:07:37 pm #56 Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:59:16 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on July 04, 2017, 09:53:20 am
GovHog, I'm really confused.  Starters suspended for the year? Playing 9th graders in the playoffs?  Do you know who these kids are or what positions they were starting at?  I'm hearing a different story but maybe my sources are just plain wrong.  If this is true then Watson Chapel should be able to make a strong run in the conference and more importantly in the playoffs again.  Is a championship possible with the crew coming back?

I do know that 2 of the offensive lineman that started in the playoffs were 9th graders. One of them is Toliver Hunt, a 6'2' 285 LB Guard. Their Center will be Zach Bramlett a 5'11" 270 lb Sophomore. Both Tackles are Seniors and the Right guard is a Junior.

I won't predict a 5A South title for the cats because they are likely starting a new QB this year and the defensive secondary has some youngsters back there. They are also switching to the 4-3 on defense.

I did find out that Dutton parted ways with his defensive coaches after the season. The defense gave up too many yards and points last year and Dutton wasn't happy about it.

Absolut

Did Dutton go of the defensive coordinator? Last year was his first year and he ran a 3-4 defense. I liked the 3-4 scheme however he ran a pure 3-4 formation that left some small linebackers exposed.

GettingStarted

Quote from: GuvHog on July 04, 2017, 02:07:37 pm

I did find out that Dutton parted ways with his defensive coaches after the season. The defense gave up too many yards and points last year and Dutton wasn't happy about it.

I don't think they parted ways with any hard feelings and the defense helped get the Cats to the semi finals.  As a matter of fact the defense did have a few rough games, Wynne for sure, but for most of the season the WC defense held Wildcat opponents to fewer total points than those opponents were averaging per game.  I know the coaches that left all think very highly of Coach Dutton.

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on July 05, 2017, 11:12:11 am
Did Dutton go of the defensive coordinator? Last year was his first year and he ran a 3-4 defense. I liked the 3-4 scheme however he ran a pure 3-4 formation that left some small linebackers exposed.

Yes he did let the DC go. He just hired Sam Womble as the new DC. That guy coached some of WC's best defenses so that's a huge hire.

zebrafan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 06, 2017, 01:01:09 pm
Yes he did let the DC go. He just hired Sam Womble as the new DC. That guy coached some of WC's best defenses so that's a huge hire.
Has he been coaching the Jr.High overall the past years?

GuvHog

Quote from: zebrafan on July 06, 2017, 02:23:17 pm

I don't know but I'll check and see.

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: Absolut on July 05, 2017, 11:12:11 am

They ran a 3-3 last year.

footballfan-tastic

July 06, 2017, 05:25:44 pm #63 Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 05:27:57 pm by footballfan-tastic

GuvHog

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on July 06, 2017, 05:24:08 pm
They ran a 3-3 last year.

The 3-4 was their base defense but they did switch to a 3-3-5 against the more pass happy teams.

footballfan-tastic

Yes he did let the DC go.

A little checking and a few calls later. This is not true at all.  Nor did he "Part Company" with his defensive coaches. Some coaches left of their own choice to do other things. 

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: GuvHog on July 06, 2017, 07:20:49 pm
The 3-4 was their base defense but they did switch to a 3-3-5 against the more pass happy teams.

The Wildcats were a 3-3 stack 3-5-3 defense.  You can call it several things 3-3-5 if you must, but a 3-4 it was not.  They would have shown a variety of fronts and coverage looks to help keep offenses honest. 

GettingStarted

Yes he did let the DC go.

GuvHog.  You may want to recheck your sources.  None of the defensive staff from the 2016 season were "let go" by coach Dutton. All left on very good terms and in fact were encouraged to stay if they wanted. Great football situation but other things played a part in their leaving.  Again, nothing to do with Coach Dutton, super guy.    The defense was a 3-3 stack.  Plain and simple, but it did have more than one look. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on July 06, 2017, 10:00:51 pm
The Wildcats were a 3-3 stack 3-5-3 defense.  You can call it several things 3-3-5 if you must, but a 3-4 it was not.  They would have shown a variety of fronts and coverage looks to help keep offenses honest. 

When we played last year it seem like they ran 3-5-3 but it seemed like in a effort to confuse us it confused them! It was early in the season so maybe the executed better toward the end. To be honest it seemed they were having personnel issues not sure who or what type of player to put in. At times they didn't have one kid over 200 lbs on defense!

Iknewthemwhen

I'm pretty sure the DC had emergency surgery in the first week or two of the season.

elvis26

8) I believe the nettleton raiders will surprise some top teams this year!!!!!!!!!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: GettingStarted on July 07, 2017, 03:44:36 pm

GuvHog.  You may want to recheck your sources.  None of the defensive staff from the 2016 season were "let go" by coach Dutton. All left on very good terms and in fact were encouraged to stay if they wanted. Great football situation but other things played a part in their leaving.  Again, nothing to do with Coach Dutton, super guy.    The defense was a 3-3 stack.  Plain and simple, but it did have more than one look. 

Got it. We'll just say they left on their own and leave it at that.

GuvHog

Quote from: zebrafan on July 06, 2017, 02:23:17 pm

Yes he was the Junior High head coach. He served as DC on the Senior High staff before being named the Jr. High head coach.

Absolut

What years did womble serve as DC for senior high? I don't remember him.

zebrafan

Quote from: GuvHog on July 08, 2017, 11:08:13 pm
Yes he was the Junior High head coach. He served as DC on the Senior High staff before being named the Jr. High head coach.
Ok I was thinking that, thanks!

GettingStarted

Quote from: GuvHog on July 08, 2017, 11:05:00 pm
Got it. We'll just say they left on their own and leave it at that.

Lets just say the truth of the matter is that they left on their own.  Your way of phrasing things seems to leave a stain on the truth. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on July 08, 2017, 11:39:18 pm
What years did womble serve as DC for senior high? I don't remember him.

He was the DC under coach Sheldon for a while. Coached some of the best defenses in that era. He's a stocky ball headed fellow.

GuvHog

Quote from: GettingStarted on July 09, 2017, 09:38:42 am
Lets just say the truth of the matter is that they left on their own.   

That's what I said in the post you quoted.

Absolut

Ok I remember now. Hopefully he can put in a great scheme. If our lines develop WC will be alright.

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on July 10, 2017, 10:21:16 am
Ok I remember now. Hopefully he can put in a great scheme. If our lines develop WC will be alright.

The defensive front 7 should be okay but they will be a bit young in the secondary.

By the way, I've heard that Jakobi Jackson will play this year but possibly at another position. The coaches are very high on Curry at QB.

Absolut

It all comes down to the offensive line and defensive line. I don't care about the skill positions. If WC can put together a competitive o line and d line we'll be good.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Absolut on July 10, 2017, 01:42:49 pm
It all comes down to the offensive line and defensive line. I don't care about the skill positions. If WC can put together a competitive o line and d line we'll be good.

Sounds like Maumelle.  If we're good up front, we'll be good this season.

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on July 10, 2017, 01:42:49 pm

Agreed. One thing Watson Chapel has plenty of is speed and quickness. Having good lines will allow them to take advantage of those things.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2017, 03:34:46 pm
Agreed. One thing Watson Chapel has plenty of is speed and quickness. Having good lines will allow them to take advantage of those things.

Thing is you haven't had a real strong OL in years. But I agree WC has enough people at the skill positions to be competitive.

GuvHog

Quote from: zebradynasty on July 10, 2017, 03:40:22 pm
Thing is you haven't had a real strong OL in years. But I agree WC has enough people at the skill positions to be competitive.

WC had some strong lines on both sides of the ball during the early part of Sheldon's tenure but they haven't been as strong up front since dropping down to the 5A South.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2017, 10:12:35 am
That's what I said in the post you quoted.

Funny stuff.  I think I can clear it up.  Guv, GS means that when you said "we'll just say" you are implying that its not really true, you are "just saying" to please the other person but you don't mean it.  I think he took offense to that.  It's why he said, lets just say, the truth is.  He was pointing out what the truth really is as opposed to just saying it when you didn't mean it.   You know.

zebradynasty

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2017, 03:47:31 pm
WC had some strong lines on both sides of the ball during the early part of Sheldon's tenure but they haven't been as strong up front since dropping down to the 5A South.

I agree.

GuvHog

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on July 10, 2017, 03:53:16 pm
Funny stuff.  I think I can clear it up.  Guv, GS means that when you said "we'll just say" you are implying that its not really true, you are "just saying" to please the other person but you don't mean it.  I think he took offense to that.  It's why he said, lets just say, the truth is.  He was pointing out what the truth really is as opposed to just saying it when you didn't mean it.   You know.

I didn't mean it that way. It was a way of saying I'll go with his explanation and believe that what he says is true.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: GuvHog on July 10, 2017, 05:00:20 pm
I didn't mean it that way. It was a way of saying I'll go with his explanation and believe that what he says is true.

Hey, happy to help.  Some folks get a little touchy if they think they are slighted.

Hoghead2

July 13, 2017, 03:03:15 am #89 Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:24:03 am by Hoghead2
Hope, every 2 years the Bobcats come out of no where with teams no one has a clue about. Players show up and bam things happen like in 2013 and 2015. We'll see what happens..... The info is it won't be pretty in Hope this year. As the boys at the Paper Mill in Ashdown say....."When Hope is good, they're very good. When Hope is bad, they're very very bad !!!!" The Cats have skill guys. They don't have LINEMEN !!!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JessieP on May 15, 2017, 02:54:49 pm
The new strength and conditioning coach is last years Razorbacks S & C coach.
Ben Herbert is coaching at Batesville now? ;D

GettingStarted

Congrats to Watson Chapel on the year, outright conference championship and undefeated conference.  Good luck next year on the move to the Central conference.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas