• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about the 5A

Started by WoodenBat, May 02, 2017, 06:17:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenBat

Not sure how they are doing each conference...but I see the East is doing a district tournament...are all 5A conferences doing this as well where the first round winners secure a berth to the state tournament?

WoolyBear

Each Conference did a District Tournament, winning the first round game also guaranteed you a spot in the State Tournament.

Remaining Games for Seeding

5A Central

3 LRCA  vs 2 Pulaski Academy
4 Beebe vs 1 Sylvan Hills

5A East

5 Batesville vs 1 Wynne
3 Nettleton vs  2 GCT

5A South

4 White Hall vs 1 Magnolia
3 Lakeside   vs 2 Watson Chapel

5A West

2E Vilonia vs 1W Harrison
2W Farmington vs Winner of 1E Greenbrier/W4  Clarksville

OB11

So are the teams listed above the state tournament field? Everyone else is done for the season correct?

WoolyBear

Greenbrier and Clarksville play today...Other than that everyone else is in and now playing for seeding.

Titan Spirit

will the winners and losers of second round games play to determine 1-4 seeds at state?

sevenof400

That has been the case in other sports and should be true here too. 

Your conference tournament is being used to ID the four seeds so the winners of the semi final are playing for the 1-2 seeds while the losers of the semi final are playing for the 3-4 seeds.

WoolyBear

Quote from: Titan Spirit on May 02, 2017, 11:25:00 am
will the winners and losers of second round games play to determine 1-4 seeds at state?

Correct...Winners will play in the District Championship for the 1 and 2 seed, Losers will play to determine the 3 and 4 seed.

The Central plays tonight at Sylvan Hills.

LRCA vs PA at 5:00...Beebe vs SH at 7:30.

Chief_Osceola™

The 5A West really screwed this up.  Instead of seeding teams 1-8 like every other conference, they did it in halves like the basketball tournament.  This meant that Farmington and Maumelle, both top 10 teams in 5A, had to play each other, while Harrison and Morrilton, who both have losing records, were in a position where one of them would make the state tournament.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 02, 2017, 02:09:33 pm
The 5A West really screwed this up.  Instead of seeding teams 1-8 like every other conference, they did it in halves like the basketball tournament.  This meant that Farmington and Maumelle, both top 10 teams in 5A, had to play each other, while Harrison and Morrilton, who both have losing records, were in a position where one of them would make the state tournament.

Looking at Max Preps, Harrison swept Farmington beating the Gregg kid twice I believe. So, shouldn't the top 10 Maumelle have been able to handle Farm with ease since the sub .500 Goblins could?

Neers34

5A East

1.GCT
2.Batesville
3.Wynne
4.Nettleton

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 02, 2017, 09:43:03 pm
Looking at Max Preps, Harrison swept Farmington beating the Gregg kid twice I believe. So, shouldn't the top 10 Maumelle have been able to handle Farm with ease since the sub .500 Goblins could?

No, he threw the first game and shut them down. When he came out they scored the majority of their runs. He didn't throw the 2nd game. I give Harrison credit - they won the 2 games they had to win. It must be nice getting to play Alma (who swept Harrison by the way) and Clarksville. No team that loses 25-0 to Clinton should be playing in a 5A state tournament.

ZoneBuster

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 02, 2017, 11:00:04 pm
No, he threw the first game and shut them down. When he came out they scored the majority of their runs. He didn't throw the 2nd game. I give Harrison credit - they won the 2 games they had to win. It must be nice getting to play Alma (who swept Harrison by the way) and Clarksville. No team that loses 25-0 to Clinton should be playing in a 5A state tournament.

Check your facts, Harrison scored 4 off Gregg in the first game (hardly shutting them down) and he came in the 6th of the second game to get the L.

Let's be real, Harrison has the best coaching staff in the state. No other staff in the conference would sniff the playoffs with the glorified JV team they had this year. I can't remember the last time they weren't in the playoffs.

eight

So when and where are the West semifinal games?

Judge Fudge

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 02, 2017, 11:00:04 pm

I guess when they start counting non-conference games towards your conference record then you would have a point. Bottom line, they had the best record in their conference (had tie breaker over Farmington), because they won the games they needed to win. If you should be mad at anyone, other than the people who thought blended conferences were a good idea, it should be Alma. If they take care of their business against clarksville then Farmington is the 1 and you aren't on here complaining about feeling cheated because you guys couldn't beat the level of team you need to be able to beat to advance in a state tournament anyways. Go win your side of the conference and then you get to play Clarksville. Pretty simple.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 03, 2017, 06:38:19 am
Check your facts, Harrison scored 4 off Gregg in the first game (hardly shutting them down) and he came in the 6th of the second game to get the L.

Let's be real, Harrison has the best coaching staff in the state. No other staff in the conference would sniff the playoffs with the glorified JV team they had this year. I can't remember the last time they weren't in the playoffs.

It was 7-4 the first game going into inning 7. He shut them down well enough to leave the game with a comfortable lead. I was told he didn't throw game 2. As for the coaching staff comment, that's debatable, but if we're being honest they backed into a playoff spot. As I said, I give them full credit for beating a real good Farmington team twice, but even still it took an Alma loss to Clarksville (somebody PLEASE explain how this happened) for Harrison to get the most favorable draw in the tournament.

Hey, I begrudge no one - it is what it is and we should've handled our business. I'm just salty at how it played out. And if I'm being really honest, my main problem is and always has been with the AAA setting up the meaningless blended conferences. Our guys played 14 games this year that meant absolutely nothing.

Chin Music

The first issue is the blended conferences.  Horrible idea.

The second issue is the 5A West tournament format.  Breaking it up like that just increases the chance that two good teams play early.  The other conferences seeding 1-8 have turned out how they likely would have with a traditional double round robin.

The 5A West is always deep in baseball so a really good team gets left out every year.

Chief_Osceola™

May 03, 2017, 09:46:45 am #16 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:48:26 am by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: Judge Fudge on May 03, 2017, 07:51:54 am
I guess when they start counting non-conference games towards your conference record then you would have a point.

That kind of is my point - the blended conference games mean nothing, which in and of itself is stupid.  Think about that for a second and how ridiculous it is.

QuoteBottom line, they had the best record in their conference (had tie breaker over Farmington), because they won the games they needed to win.

...which I've given them credit for, twice.

QuoteIf you should be mad at anyone, other than the people who thought blended conferences were a good idea, it should be Alma.

Yeah I'd love for someone to get on here and explain how that happened.

QuoteIf they take care of their business against clarksville then Farmington is the 1 and you aren't on here complaining about feeling cheated because you guys couldn't beat the level of team you need to be able to beat to advance in a state tournament anyways. /Go win your side of the conference and then you get to play Clarksville. Pretty simple.

I don't feel cheated - we should have won certain games and we didn't.  That's on us.  I'm addressing the bigger issue of the stupidity of 2 things - the way the conference tournament was done in the 5A West, and the stupidity of the AAA in creating blended conferences that are meaningless.  Harrison just happened to be the one team to receive the benefit of the format this year, and good for them.  I hope they do well in the state tournament.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Chin Music on May 03, 2017, 09:30:52 am
The first issue is the blended conferences.  Horrible idea.

The second issue is the 5A West tournament format.  Breaking it up like that just increases the chance that two good teams play early.  The other conferences seeding 1-8 have turned out how they likely would have with a traditional double round robin.

The 5A West is always deep in baseball so a really good team gets left out every year.

Exactly.

theflash10

Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 03, 2017, 06:38:19 am

17 straight years to the state tournament. They lost a lot on the roster this year but like it's been said won when it counted.

sidelinefan

So for the East
GCT
Batesville
Wynne
Nettleton

Central
1 & 2 Syl Hills vs PA
3&4 between LRCA vs Beebe

South
???????
Magnolia
Watson Chapel
White Hall
Lakeside
NO CLUE on order

West
???? Still have several games left
GB vs Clarks
Vilonia
Farmington
Harrison
Lots of games left so don't know order yet

Judge Fudge

...which I've given them credit for, twice.
While also taking a jab at them for losing a non conference game and stating that they didn't deserve to be in?  ???

Yeah I'd love for someone to get on here and explain how that happened.

I am not sure that they can explain it. Short on pitching maybe?

I don't feel cheated - we should have won certain games and we didn't.  That's on us.  I'm addressing the bigger issue of the stupidity of 2 things - the way the conference tournament was done in the 5A West, and the stupidity of the AAA in creating blended conferences that are meaningless.  Harrison just happened to be the one team to receive the benefit of the format this year, and good for them.  I hope they do well in the state tournament.
[/quote]

I think we can all agree that the blended conferences were a dumb idea, and the way they set it up for the district tournament was not well thought out either. That's pretty obvious.

And I'm not here to point fingers, or call anyone out by any means, but shouldn't Maumelle, with guys like Quiggins and McCullough, who is a d1 signee, be able to beat out vilonia for the 2 seed? Vilonia is a solid team, no doubt, and they can swing the bats, but with arms like that you should be able to get the 2 seed IMO.

Chief_Osceola™

3 things:

1. Learn the quote function. I don't say that trying to be snarky; it helps distinguish who says what.
2. It was a jab - maybe in poor taste but I'm not wrong. Again, they won the important games and set themselves up for a good draw in the tournament.
3. Maumelle and Vilonia split. Quiggins was on the mound both times. Connor was not a starting pitcher this spring. He was Maumelle's closer.

Judge Fudge

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 03, 2017, 08:49:22 pm
3 things:

1. Learn the quote function. I don't say that trying to be snarky; it helps distinguish who says what.
2. It was a jab - maybe in poor taste but I'm not wrong. Again, they won the important games and set themselves up for a good draw in the tournament.
3. Maumelle and Vilonia split. Quiggins was on the mound both times. Connor was not a starting pitcher this spring. He was Maumelle's closer.

1. I will do that
2. Atleast we agree
3. Even more the reason to think they should be able to win the 2 seed. Being able to combo those two in the conference games that matter would give them an edge over just about everybody except maybe greenbrier? And that's when Milligan is healthy.

Chief_Osceola™

May 03, 2017, 09:10:42 pm #23 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:39:35 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Eh, our problem against Greenbrier and Vilonia wasn't pitching. Some defensive miscues and inability to get timely hits sunk us those 2 games. And to add to that, we only got to play Greenbrier once, but it counted as 2 games.

Edit: I can't spell.

Judge Fudge

That makes no sense whatsoever

WoodenBat

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 03, 2017, 09:10:42 pm
Eh, our problem against Greenbrier and Vilonia wasn't pitching. Some defensive miscues and inability to get timely hits dunk is those 2 games. And to add to that, we only got to play Greenbrier once, but it counted as 2 games.

why counted as 2 games?

Chief_Osceola™

We were originally set to play twice, but our 'away' game against PA got moved so that we could play at Dickey Stephens. After that neither team had a good date to make it up. Sucks, but getting to play in that stadium was probably pretty cool for the kids.

Judge Fudge

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 03, 2017, 09:38:28 pm
We were originally set to play twice, but our 'away' game against PA got moved so that we could play at Dickey Stephens. After that neither team had a good date to make it up. Sucks, but getting to play in that stadium was probably pretty cool for the kids.

It seems like AAA would make you find a date to play it regardless. Harrison was forced to play double headers at both Greenwood and Alma due to rain (Presumably).

Chief_Osceola™

I think something similar happened with 2 teams in our conference in soccer. Heck, it may have been Maumelle there too. I guess if both teams are agreeable to the arrangement then that's how it is.

Another reason this blended conference nonsense needs to go yesterday.

Chief_Osceola™

Anyway, I'm over it. This thread has been cathartic.

2fe

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 03, 2017, 09:46:45 am
and the stupidity of the AAA in creating blended conferences that are meaningless

AAA gets heats for tons of stuff(some well-deserved) but this isn't on them.  School admins across the state came up with this, voted it in,  and need to wear it.  AAA was dealt a crappy hand and forced to play it.

Chief_Osceola™

AAA is the governing body for high school athletics right? Then they are ultimately responsible.

ricepig

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 04, 2017, 07:47:48 am
AAA is the governing body for high school athletics right? Then they are ultimately responsible.

The AAA is made up of it's member schools, so the schools get the responsibility.

WoolyBear

Quote from: sidelinefan on May 03, 2017, 03:27:27 pm
So for the East
GCT
Batesville
Wynne
Nettleton

Central
1 & 2 Syl Hills vs PA
3&4 between LRCA vs Beebe

South
???????
Magnolia
Watson Chapel
White Hall
Lakeside
NO CLUE on order

West
???? Still have several games left
GB vs Clarks
Vilonia
Farmington
Harrison
Lots of games left so don't know order yet

The East is correct

Central plays Friday at 5:00 and 7:30.

Beebe vs LRCA for 3 and 4

PA vs SH for 1 and 2

South

Winners play for 1 and 2, Losers for 3 and 4. Not sure when.

White Hall vs Magnolia

Lakeside vs Chapel

West

Farmington vs Greenbrier

Vilonia vs Harrison

sidelinefan

Maumelle and Greenbrier made an agreement to only play one game and count it as 2 games between the head coaches. Had nothing to do with AAA or ADs.

sidelinefan

Quote from: WoolyBear on May 04, 2017, 08:29:24 am
The East is correct

Central plays Friday at 5:00 and 7:30.

Beebe vs LRCA for 3 and 4

PA vs SH for 1 and 2

South

White Hall vs Magnolia

Lakeside vs Chapel

West

Farmington vs Greenbrier

Vilonia vs Harrison

Thank you

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2017, 08:01:02 am
The AAA is made up of it's member schools, so the schools get the responsibility.

It's not called the member school handbook.  It's called the AAA handbook.  The AAA ultimately has the final say in what happens with its member schools.

Out of curiosity, because I seriously don't know - who did the initial proposal for blended conferences?

Chin Music

Previously the blended conferences were 6A/7A.  This cycle they switched to 6A/5A. 

5A was perfectly fine.  It was geographically correct and each conference had great rivalries.

LRCA played Maumelle early in the season in a blended conference game.  Maumelle did not pitch Quiggins or McCollough because they played Morrilton in a "non conference" game later in the week.  LRCA won both easily using their best pitchers. 

The complaints on this setup are not hindsight.  Many complained well before the season ever started.

ricepig

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 04, 2017, 11:05:01 am
It's not called the member school handbook.  It's called the AAA handbook.  The AAA ultimately has the final say in what happens with its member schools.

Out of curiosity, because I seriously don't know - who did the initial proposal for blended conferences?

Who do you think the AAA is? It's made up of the member schools, these schools vote on the directors, the proposals, and hire the staff to run the AAA. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2017, 11:47:19 am
Who do you think the AAA is? It's made up of the member schools, these schools vote on the directors, the proposals, and hire the staff to run the AAA. 

The Arkansas Activities Association.  They even have their own office in North Little Rock.

Here's an analogy - the AAA is like Congress.  It is the whole of many parts.  This blended conference decision is like any other legislation that is passed these days - it probably has good intentions, but is in reality a terrible idea.  The AD or AD's and administrators that proposed this should be hung in effigy and then exiled somewhere so they can think about what a bad decision this was, much like many of our elected representatives and senators.  They should be held accountable.  However, when bad legislation is passed, the individuals don't catch flack; Congress does.  The same applies with AD's/administrators and the AAA.  Like ChinMusic said - the system in place was perfectly fine; why did it have to be messed up by trying to fix something that wasn't even a problem?

ricepig

May 04, 2017, 12:20:27 pm #40 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:37:08 pm by ricepig
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 04, 2017, 12:10:26 pm
The Arkansas Activities Association.  They even have their own office in North Little Rock.

Here's an analogy - the AAA is like Congress.  It is the whole of many parts.  This blended conference decision is like any other legislation that is passed these days - it probably has good intentions, but is in reality a terrible idea.  The AD or AD's and administrators that proposed this should be hung in effigy and then exiled somewhere so they can think about what a bad decision this was, much like many of our elected representatives and senators.  They should be held accountable.  However, when bad legislation is passed, the individuals don't catch flack; Congress does.  The same applies with AD's/administrators and the AAA.  Like ChinMusic said - the system in place was perfectly fine; why did it have to be messed up by trying to fix something that wasn't even a problem?

Travel wasn't a problem?? So, if travel didn't effect you, then it wasn't a problem, I understand, now.

The blended conferences passed 94-40.
http://www.couriernews.com/view/full_story/25580185/article-AAA-passes-conference-realignment

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2017, 12:20:27 pm
Travel wasn't a problem?? So, if travel didn't effect you, then it wasn't a problem, I understand, now.

http://www.couriernews.com/view/full_story/25580185/article-AAA-passes-conference-realignment

No, as a Maumelle resident the travel didn't bother me. I would've gladly made the trips west and north for games that actually mean something rather than play meaningless 'conference' games in my backyard.

Nomad1324

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2017, 12:20:27 pm

I figure the new classifications will pass by a similar margin if formally proposed. It would do a lot of what the "combined" tried to do, all while preserving a lot of natural rivalries.

ricepig

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 04, 2017, 12:54:59 pm
No, as a Maumelle resident the travel didn't bother me. I would've gladly made the trips west and north for games that actually mean something rather than play meaningless 'conference' games in my backyard.

Well, I guess you're not the parent of a student from Siloam Springs or Mt. Home and routinely make 4hrs trips to play a game?

Chief_Osceola™

I just said I'm a Maumelle resident. Our road trips would be Alma, Farmington, and Harrison. So, two that are 3 hours, and one that is 2.5 hours. No, I don't mind making those trips. 'Routinely' is subjective.

sevenof400

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 04, 2017, 11:05:01 am

It smells of Mountain Home...

sevenof400

Quote from: 2fe on May 03, 2017, 11:49:28 pm
AAA gets heats for tons of stuff(some well-deserved) but this isn't on them.  School admins across the state came up with this, voted it in,  and need to wear it.  AAA was dealt a crappy hand and forced to play it.

You do know that AAA representatives are either the superintendent (or their designated choice) from each school district? 

AAA was NOT dealt the crappy hand - they made it crappy on their own. 

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2017, 02:07:47 pm
You do know that AAA representatives are either the superintendent (or their designated choice) from each school district? 

AAA was NOT dealt the crappy hand - they made it crappy on their own.

The AAA, member schools, voted 94-40 in favor it. It looks like the schools made their own crap.

sevenof400

Quote from: ricepig on May 04, 2017, 02:39:28 pm
The AAA, member schools, voted 94-40 in favor it. It looks like the schools made their own crap.

You're ascribing the actions of the representatives to the member schools and then, absolving the representatives of any responsibility.

The member schools did not vote on this issue. 
The representative of the member schools did.
There is a significant difference here and an expression of the majority of the representatives is NOT necessarily an expression of the member schools. 

ricepig

May 04, 2017, 05:09:37 pm #49 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:14:47 pm by ricepig
Quote from: sevenof400 on May 04, 2017, 04:22:38 pm
You're ascribing the actions of the representatives to the member schools and then, absolving the representatives of any responsibility.
a
The member schools did not vote on this issue. 
The representative of the member schools did.
There is a significant difference here and an expression of the majority of the representatives is NOT necessarily an expression of the member schools.

Your AD/Super/etc voted Vilonia's position on this proposal, just as they did in the Activity District last month. If you have a problem with how your representative voted for your school, then that is your school's problem, not the AAA's. There are only 20 members on the board of the AAA. The blended proposal was voted on at the annual meeting in August of 2014. It passed 94-40.

http://www.areawidenews.com/story/2109512.html

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas