• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Come With An Apology and Life Update

Started by AT, April 30, 2017, 07:00:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

Hey Fearless, I'm still alive and well and I have been checking in on Fearless Friday when I can, but not doing what I should be doing, which is keeping the Fearless Friday world updated on Track and Field.

First off, this message says, in short, I've been a bit busy and haven't had the time to update the lists per usual. I apologize as I should have managed my time better towards this, but I didn't.

I have accepted a teaching position at Charleston beginning next school year. As a few of you know, I started my math teaching career 2 years ago at Johnson County Westside. It was not a coaching position, but I was happy to learn that JC-Westside had had years of success in track and field under Coach Bruce Dunlap, especially the girls program. Being a track and cross country enthusiast, I was all too happy to volunteer and help Coach Dunlap with the track and field and XC program at Westside. What I've learned from Coach D these past two years has been invaluable. How to deal with the personalities, the other things a coach has to keep organized and in order that does not include the sport itself, and the many technicalities in track and field and cross country that I did not know that Coach D shared.

I can't overstate how humbling it is when a two time state winning championship coach in track and field let's someone he didn't know from Joe off the street help with his T&F program. Coach Dunlap is a big advocate for the sport that I believe we need more of. I believe Coach Dunlap to be the best field events coach in small school track and field. I'm biased and I don't care to admit it, but it's true. I have seen him coach kids who didn't know what pole vault even meant to All-Conference and state placers in pole vault. I've seen him use triple jump, long jump, and high jump drills that amazed me on how they progressed athletes. I am also very grateful to Coach Bryan (both of them) for helping me out and talking to me like a peer at every track meet. I believe these two to be some of the best small school coaches, too.

We've enjoyed a lot of success in track and field and cross country the past two years. Our boys program made some big strides and the girls program kept rolling with two conference track titles and a 4th place finish at last year's state meet. We'll see how this year's meet goes on Tuesday. Our junior boys won a very surprising and exciting district title this year, also.

So yes, coaching, running conference meets, testing, AP proctoring, new teaching position transitions, and other personal life changes have made it very difficult to update these lists.

As I won't be coaching at Charleston, I should have some more free time to manage this forum more, but this year I'm going to go ahead and just let you guys update on your own.

Thanks for all the attention you've given this forum the past few years.

RATTLER43

First off- congratulations on your new position!
Next- no need for any apology; but we do appreciate all your work. 
I saw the great strides in the men's program.
Thank you for the kind words.   
Here is a Dunlap story for you:  we were at Southside for state meet in 2011.  I was with one of my daughters at discus (she won; yes, I am still beaming).  My freshmen daughter is at triple jump.  We had her steps down before I left for discus.   Somehow she lost her steps and was down to final jump in prelims.  David Peach from Union Christian helped her and she landed a jump good enough to get to the finals.  Coach Dunlap gave her some advice which improved her jump.  Then again for her second jump.  He told her one more thing for her final jump causing her to hit perfectly and move into third place!  That's who he is.  Great ambassador for our sport.  You have been one as well.   Keep up the great work and good luck in Chucktown.

beach bum

Great school district to land at.... I hope nothing, but the best at your new adventure!

Brian G

April 30, 2017, 08:26:09 pm #3 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:20:24 pm by B.G.
Glad to hear your career is plugging along.  My guess is you find a way to "help" with track at CHS.

:)

ricepig

AT

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Will do, rice.  ;D

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on May 01, 2017, 02:57:27 pm
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Will do, rice.  ;D

I knew you would appreciate the kind word, seriously, congrats and keep up the good work.

sevenof400

Let me add my congratulations here as well and sincere wishes for success  in your new role.  You have been missed around these parts as we are getting to the fun time of the year. 

Good luck, AT!

MHSGrad

Just like an Alma alum.. making excuses! :)

Lions84

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas