• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A State Track at Harrison

Started by FisherOfMen11, April 28, 2017, 10:40:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FisherOfMen11

What are yalls thoughts on who performs best. Do you think that weird track will cause surprises?

sevenof400

There is no question the track WILL effect the meet.  It did the last time a state meet was held there. 

I still can't believe as nice as the Harrison facilities are, why they choose to build the track as they did. 

OB11

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 28, 2017, 11:44:09 am
There is no question the track WILL effect the meet.  It did the last time a state meet was held there. 

I still can't believe as nice as the Harrison facilities are, why they choose to build the track as they did.

Are you referencing the shape of the track?

FisherOfMen11

I was for sure. The way the ends are laid out it is the long straight, into a tight turn, followed by a short straight, then another tight turn, then the long straight.

OB11

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on April 28, 2017, 01:57:14 pm
I was for sure. The way the ends are laid out it is the long straight, into a tight turn, followed by a short straight, then another tight turn, then the long straight.

I kept looking at that picture and was thinking something didn't look right. Then I finally realized that's what it was. It just looks odd.

sevenof400

Yes - the turns are the issue as they are not constructed to usual track norms.  It significantly effected the shorter relays in 2014 (I think that was the last time the state meet was in Harrison) and was a contributing factor in some disqualifications. 

A state meet really should be run on a track the confirms to the usual norms. 

Recruiter1

Will Harrison still be able to hold the 5A state meet on Tuesday?

sevenof400

I can't speak for what is going on in and around Harrison but with respect to the facility itself, I can tell you it rained cats and dogs in 2014 when the state meet was held there too.  Once an expected amount of time passed to let the try dry, the surface was fine.  The field events were a bit more problematic in that the throws were contested away from the stadium in areas out in the parking lot.  I cannot speak to the footing in the shot / discus areas. 

I think with a few hours of no rain, the facility should be okay to go in most areas EXCEPT the shot / discus - that would likely be the area of most concern. 

Still, Harrison did an excellent job hosting in 2014, so I'm confident they will be ready this year - weather permitting. 

Recruiter1

Thank you for your response. I would hope they would move the meet if there is a possibility of difficult travel to Harrison.  It's better to be safe.

FisherOfMen11

Also heard Harrison is making everyone wear 1/8 inch spikes. Strange since every other meet held there wears 1/4 inch throughout the year.

Marblehog

Why in the world would the AAA allow state to be held there with that track?

sevenof400

Quote from: Marblehog on May 01, 2017, 12:12:49 pm
Why in the world would the AAA allow state to be held there with that track?

Simply stated, all AAA cares about is the money.  That sounds like a brutal simplification but it is unfortunately the truth.  There is also the likelihood no one else bid on the event. 

No matter the reason(s), it's all about the money with AAA.

sevenof400

Here is some good news from Harrison. 
There is a nice breeze blowing today (Monday) and with the sun the throwing pits are drying out quite nicely.  As long as the wind is NOT blowing like this tomorrow, the conditions should be excellent.

Steve Perry 2.11

sevenof400

sevenof400

May 02, 2017, 10:15:56 am #15 Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:17:57 am by sevenof400
...or if that did not work, try this (the link below appears to be one for today's meet.  Not sure if it will be live scoring, but maybe..)

http://ar.milesplit.com/meets/265871/info#.WQiiU_ZViGQ

Steve Perry 2.11

It is listed but doesn't look like they are going to update it.

MHSGrad

VHSCoach2

Here is a Google document with updated results (as far as I can tell anyway):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1OaoUv89T0IYzBWZFdGU3N2XzQ

VHSCoach2

De Queen boys and Sylvan Hills girls are the 2017 State Champions.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas