• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 5A South Conference Tournament info

Started by sevenof400, April 21, 2017, 10:14:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

April 21, 2017, 10:14:38 pm Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:53:35 pm by sevenof400
Just to get this started, and so we can have a bracket here, please post any info you can on the 5A South conference tournament. 
It starts on Monday May 1st and continues on Wednesday, May 3rd and Thursday. May 4th.
Hosted by Hope High School.

Girls:

Game 1:
S1: DeQueen
Bye

Game 2:
S4: White Hall 1
S5: Hot Springs 3
Monday, May 1st, 5:00 pm

Game 3:
S3: Hope
Bye

Game 4:
S2: HS Lakeside
Bye

--- Game 5 ---
                              Winner (Game 1): S1: DeQueen 6
                              Winner (Game 2): S5: Hot Springs 0
                              Thursday, May 4th, 5:00 pm

--- Game 6 ---
                              Winner (Game 3): S3: Hope 1
                              Winner (Game 4): S2: HS Lakeside 4
                              Thursday, May 4th, 1:00 pm

--- Game 7:
                                                                 Winner (Game 5): S1: DeQueen 3
                                                                 Winner of (Game 6): S2: HS Lakeside 2
                                                                 Friday, May 5th, 5:00 pm

Winner (Game 7 / #1 5A South seed): S1: DeQueen  
                                                                              Loser (Game 7 / #2 5A South seed):  S2: HS Lakeside

--- Game 8:
                                                                 Loser (Game 5): S5: Hot Springs 0
                                                                 Loser (Game 6): S3: Hope  1
                                                                 Friday, May 5th, 1:00 pm

Winner (Game 8 / #3 5A South seed):S3: Hope 
                                                                              Loser (Game 8 / #4 5A South seed):S5: Hot Springs

Boys:

Game 1:
S1: Hot Springs
Bye

Game 2:
S4: Hope 2
S5: White Hall 1
Monday, May 1st, 7:00 pm

Game 3:
S3: DeQueen
Bye

Game 4:
S2: HS Lakeside
Bye

--- Game 5 ---
                              Winner (Game 1): S1: Hot Springs 2(3)
                              Winner (Game 2): S4: Hope 2(1)
                              Thursday, May 4th, 7:00 pm

--- Game 6 ---
                              Winner (Game 3): S3: DeQueen 0
                              Winner (Game 4): S2: HS Lakeside 1
                              Thursday, May 4th, 3:00 pm

--- Game 7:
                                                                 Winner (Game 5): S1: Hot Springs 4
                                                                 Winner of (Game 6): S2: HS Lakeside 1
                                                                 Friday, May 5th, 7:00 pm

Winner (Game 7 / #1 5A South seed): S1: Hot Springs  
                                                                              Loser (Game 7 / #2 5A South seed):  S2: HS Lakeside

--- Game 8:
                                                                 Loser (Game 5): S4: Hope 1
                                                                 Loser (Game 6): S3: DeQueen 5
                                                                 Friday, May 5th, 3:00 pm

Winner (Game 8 / #3 5A South seed):S3: DeQueen
                                                                              Loser (Game 8 / #4 5A South seed):S4: Hope

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Boys Seeds 5A South

1) Hot Springs
2) Lakeside
3) De Queen
4) Hope
5) White Hall

sevenof400

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

5A South Girls Seeding

1) De Queen
2) Lakeside
3) Hope
4) White Hall
5) Hot Springs

sevenof400

Gingerman10

April 27, 2017, 01:29:33 pm #5 Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:24:51 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: Coach Sturdivant, HS on April 27, 2017, 08:49:53 am
Boys Seeds 5A South

1) Hot Springs
2) Lakeside
3) De Queen
4) Hope
5) White Hall

Do you mind explaining how Hope is the 4 seed and White Hall is the 5 seed? The whole realignment has me confused in the first place, and although they will play each other either way i just wanted to be clear on the seeding.

sevenof400

April 27, 2017, 02:29:58 pm #6 Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:37:43 pm by sevenof400
Gingerman10,

Sorry for the edit, but I fixed the quote on your question to make it stand out a bit more. 

To answer your question, this is part of the problem in playing in different combined classification districts.  White Hall played in CCD5 - apart from the rest of the 5A South which played in CCD6.

In looking at the entirety of White Hall's season, White Hall did not play Hot Springs or DeQueen if MaxPreps is correct...

White Hall split two games with Hope and lost their only game with HS Lakeside.

It is a lack of direct competition within the conference that makes seeding next to impossible.  Obviously, I cannot speak to what was (or was not) considered at the seeding meeting, but from afar, I think there is a general consensus that Hot Springs, Lakeside and DeQueen were going to be 1/2/3.  I can't see a justification that would make White Hall be rated higher than Hope and one other team so they would receive a first round bye.

With respect to the two head to head games between Hope and White Hall,
Hope 0 @ White Hall 2
White Hall 0 @ Hope 4

Hope has a more tiebreaker points (3 for their win versus 2 for White Hall in their win) which could be the sole basis on which Hope was placed ahead of White Hall. 

As you note, whether a team was the 4 or 5 seed made no difference in this situation.

Please do not take these comments as criticism of any program - I am only trying to illustrate the impossibly bad situation AAA has placed many sports in when they expect a seeding meeting to determine conference seeds. 

Gingerman10

chaoslord

May 01, 2017, 05:32:41 pm #8 Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:36:46 pm by chaoslord
White Hall vs Hot Springs, both teams only brought black jerseys. Guess there was some confusion as to who would be wearing white or something. White Hall wearing red pinnies.

Edit: Hot Springs player collects the ball around the 35 yard line, dribbles down the wing and into the penalty area unchallenged, puts it away. 1-0 lead for Hot Springs, 16:47 left in first half.

Looked away for a second and #12 for Hot Springs has found the net again. 2-0, 10:40 left in the first half.

White Hall penalty kick scored and it's 2-1 with 28:44 remaining in the second half.

With 13:30 remaining in the game, I believe Hot Springs #12 completed a hat trick. 3-1.

chaoslord

Boys game, Hope vs White Hall. Got back outside and its 1-1. White Hall coach talking to the referee, must have been something he felt was controversial.

As I'm typing this, Hope scores from way out, looped over the keeper. 2-1, 20 minutes to go in first half

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

5A South Conference moved back a day to Thursday/Friday due to possibility of bad weather tomorrow.

All times stay the same, just the dates moved back to Thursday May 4 and Friday May 5.

The Hope-WH final boys soccer last night was 2-1 win for Hope, so they will play Hot Springs Thursday at 7.

Hot Springs girls defeat WH girls 3-1 to move on to play DeQueen Thursday at 5.

Texcards

I'm confused, how can WH girls lose to Hot Springs Monday and still play Lakeside Thursday? I thought that WH played and defeated Hope 4-1 Monday.

sevenof400

Quote from: Texcards on May 03, 2017, 07:54:26 am
I'm confused, how can WH girls lose to Hot Springs Monday and still play Lakeside Thursday? I thought that WH played and defeated Hope 4-1 Monday.

It's a result of an interruption in the time / space continuum.....or a copy/paste error on my part........should be correct now though...Thanks for catching that. 

JamesLeigh

sevenof400

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Boys: Hot Springs 2(3),Hope 2(1).
Lakeside wins in SFTM over DeQueen also.

Tomorrow will be Hot Springs vs. Lakeside for the 1/2 seed, Hope vs. DeQueen for the 3/4 seed.

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

5/4/17
VG: DQ 6, HS 0

The Lady Trojans will play Hope today at 1PM to determine the 3/4 seed.

JamesLeigh

Hope girls 1, Hot Springs 0

Hope gets 3 seed, Hot Springs 4.

sevenof400

VHSCoach2

Boys:

Hot Springs 4-1 over Lakeside

De Queen 5-1 over Hope

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas