• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maumelle open?

Started by JohnBarleycorn, April 21, 2017, 11:06:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnBarleycorn

Heard Farr took job at Russellville.  Any truth?

Look A Here

Really? That seems strange

Chief_Osceola™

April 21, 2017, 03:03:21 pm #2 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:46:10 am by Chief_Osceola™
It is true. I wish Coach Farr the best of luck at Russellville - he'll do a good job over there.  Coach Horton is the interim head coach I think, and will hopefully be the next head coach.  I think he or Coach Thrash would do a good job.

Nevermind the last part - Coach Thrash will be at PA next year. 

Brian G

Look A Here

I thought Farr was a Defensive guy?  Didn't Thrash run the offense at Maumelle?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Look A Here on April 24, 2017, 09:56:16 am
I thought Farr was a Defensive guy?  Didn't Thrash run the offense at Maumelle?

I think Coach Farr handled the O-line.  I'm not sure who handled the playcalling.  I assume it was Coach Thrash, since he is the OC.

RZback

Wow! Leaving a HC position to be OC.  I thought Maumelle was a pretty good place. Must not be as good as I thought.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: RZback on April 24, 2017, 01:15:04 pm
Wow! Leaving a HC position to be OC.  I thought Maumelle was a pretty good place. Must not be as good as I thought.

It is. It's just not always the best fit, just like anywhere else. I wouldn't say the move is a step back or even a lateral move. Russellville is in a higher classification and just won a state title, while Maumelle is in rebuilding mode.

Jimbo Morphis

Mr. Mercer

Believe he forfeited games both years due to ineligible players. I know they forfeited at least all their conferences games this year. I don't think the players will miss him and he won't miss Maumelle

RZback

We are talking about Farr?  He's leaving Maumelle for Russellville?  He is giving up a HC for OC?  He had to forfeit games at MHS for playing ineligible players. Yes Russellville won a championship but I think they have changed some big pieces of the staff that won it.  Sounds like might be more to story. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: RZback on April 24, 2017, 10:08:01 pm
We are talking about Farr?  He's leaving Maumelle for Russellville?  He is giving up a HC for OC?  He had to forfeit games at MHS for playing ineligible players. Yes Russellville won a championship but I think they have changed some big pieces of the staff that won it.  Sounds like might be more to story. 

There really isn't. It just wasn't the right fit and he found a good spot at a good program. It is what it is.

Redwolves8526

What are the football facilities like at Maumelle?

AirWarren

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 25, 2017, 08:23:24 am
What are the football facilities like at Maumelle?

High school

Chief can back me up on this. It's not the facilities or school in Maumelle. It's the competiton of getting kids to the school when you have to compete with Families in town that send their kids to PA, LRCA, CAC, and the Maumelle charter school.

Look A Here

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on April 24, 2017, 06:44:36 pm
Believe he forfeited games both years due to ineligible players. I know they forfeited at least all their conferences games this year. I don't think the players will miss him and he won't miss Maumelle
Ouch! I'm guessing you dislike him a little.

Redwolves8526

Nice facilities it looks like for sure! If a good coach came in there and was able to hold onto kids from transferring, he'd have a good setup.

RZback

I will say its tough to get kids to stay if they think they get a better deal from a charter school or a private.  To me it seems you are fighting recruiting, since kids can choose to go out of the district to those schools.  Charters ought to have the same 1 up classification as a private?

Look A Here

Quote from: AirWarren on April 25, 2017, 09:02:17 am

High school

Chief can back me up on this. It's not the facilities or school in Maumelle. It's the competiton of getting kids to the school when you have to compete with Families in town that send their kids to PA, LRCA, CAC, and the Maumelle charter school.
Do they have visitor stands? I remember hearing that they didn't have any a few years ago, maybe for a playoff game or something?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Look A Here on April 25, 2017, 10:57:32 am
Do they have visitor stands? I remember hearing that they didn't have any a few years ago, maybe for a playoff game or something?

We do.  They were installed prior to this past season.  And AirWarren is absolutely correct.  Maumelle as a community is outstanding, but the transfers to private and/or charter schools have been a hindrance.  The facilities are excellent.

AirWarren

Quote from: RZback on April 25, 2017, 10:53:05 am
I will say its tough to get kids to stay if they think they get a better deal from a charter school or a private.  To me it seems you are fighting recruiting, since kids can choose to go out of the district to those schools.  Charters ought to have the same 1 up classification as a private?

Charters are no where near what say a PA is.

Warren'a soccer team beat LISA academy 17-0 I think.

Charter schools and athletics have a LONG WAY TO GO.

GuvHog

Quote from: RZback on April 25, 2017, 10:53:05 am

The main reason students transfer from public schools to charter schools is academics. If Public schools don't move to improve in that area, then students will continue to leave for charter schools.

Pat Swilling

Wonder if Nick Evans would consider coming back?

Brian G

Maumelle had a few major basketball players transfer a few years ago.

Guess it balanced a bit.

AirWarren

Quote from: GuvHog on April 26, 2017, 09:03:36 am
The main reason students transfer from public schools to charter schools is academics. If Public schools don't move to improve in that area, then students will continue to leave for charter schools.

You hear that at a school board meeting?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: B.G. on April 26, 2017, 04:33:51 pm
Maumelle had a few major basketball players transfer a few years ago.

Guess it balanced a bit.

???

Do you mean transfer in, or transfer out?

Brian G

GuvHog

Quote from: AirWarren on April 26, 2017, 04:34:50 pm
You hear that at a school board meeting?

No, I don't go to school board meetings but it's as obvious as the nose on one's face that it's true.

AirWarren

Quote from: GuvHog on April 26, 2017, 08:45:20 pm
No, I don't go to school board meetings but it's as obvious as the nose on one's face that it's true.

Do some research on some of the metro area charter schools. No different than sending a kid to LR HALL.

RZback

Well, kids are leaving for some reason!

AirWarren

Quote from: RZback on April 26, 2017, 09:39:21 pm
Well, kids are leaving for some reason!

Kids not being sent to Maumelle has been going on since Maumelle was Oak Grove High school. Well before the inception of charter schools.

GuvHog

Quote from: AirWarren on April 26, 2017, 09:43:13 pm
Kids not being sent to Maumelle has been going on since Maumelle was Oak Grove High school. Well before the inception of charter schools.

The fact that Maumelle is still part of the PCSSD could be a big part of the problem.

AirWarren

Quote from: GuvHog on April 27, 2017, 11:39:09 am
The fact that Maumelle is still part of the PCSSD could be a big part of the problem.

It's probably close to if not 75% of the problem.

Mr. Mercer

Could be.... But the basketball team sure hasn't been affected by that.

Chief_Osceola™

Maumelle is one of the premier basketball programs in Central Arkansas. Football hasn't had that same level of success. Just as kids transfer to Maumelle for basketball, equally as many transfer over to NLR for football.

Look A Here

Chief, it's been a week have any names started popping up for the HC job?  It might be too early I know, but was wondering if you had heard any. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Look A Here on April 28, 2017, 10:29:46 am
Chief, it's been a week have any names started popping up for the HC job?  It might be too early I know, but was wondering if you had heard any. 

Coach Horton is the interim head coach right now.  He has applied.  I haven't really heard much else - there was mention of Coach Evans, who used to be the OC here under Buchan.  I believe his name was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I've heard his name pop up but I don't know if he's applied.  That's about all I know.  We should know more in the next couple of weeks.

I'll leave any personal opinions out of the public forum - I will say that I'd be pleased if Coach Horton gets the job.  I'd be fine if it were Coach Evans too.  Other than that, I won't speculate without knowing who's applied and who will interview.

jvallas_13

Every one around Maumelle wants Horton to get the job. We hope he gets it. Maumelle's future looks bright if they could get some stronger linemen.

FisherOfMen11

Quote from: jvallas_13 on May 03, 2017, 12:00:44 pm
Every one around Maumelle wants Horton to get the job. We hope he gets it. Maumelle's future looks bright if they could get some stronger linemen.

And faster recievers, someone that can throw the ball, and kids who look hesitant to hit, and stronger as a whole not just lineman. The talent level in Maumelle for football has dropped drastically probably because lack of success. If horton or whoever gets it comes in and wins then talent level will rise.

jvallas_13

May 03, 2017, 12:14:13 pm #38 Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:08:23 am by jvallas_13
They have two receivers who will be sophomores next year who both are extremely fast. No real quarterback is in sight.

JohnBarleycorn

Heard a rumor that Brad Bolding is interested

FisherOfMen11

May 03, 2017, 12:39:08 pm #40 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:42:42 pm by FisherOfMen11
Quote from: JohnBarleycorn on May 03, 2017, 12:29:34 pm
Heard a rumor that Brad Bolding is interested

Doubt he would have a shot with is history at NLR and what went on there. Maumelle has been in trouble the last two years with Farr at the helm the last thing they need is a head coach with an already stained rep

As for 2 current freshman who are actually receivers running a 4.4 I would love to see that.

footballfan-tastic

Chief_Osceola™

May 03, 2017, 12:45:53 pm #42 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:48:47 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: jvallas_13 on May 03, 2017, 12:14:13 pm
They have two receivers who will be sophomores next year who both run around a 4.4. No real quarterback is in sight.

The 2 best quarterbacks on campus didn't play last fall.  From what I understand they will both be back next fall.  They both have cannons.  One will be a senior and one will be a junior.  We'll be fine at quarterback if one or both come back.

footballfan-tastic

Are they interviewing yet?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: FisherOfMen11 on May 03, 2017, 12:11:41 pm
And faster recievers, someone that can throw the ball, and kids who look hesitant to hit, and stronger as a whole not just lineman. The talent level in Maumelle for football has dropped drastically probably because lack of success. If horton or whoever gets it comes in and wins then talent level will rise.

Maumelle will never be short on skill position players.  The big concern in offseason was the lack of linemen.  Now that Coach K is in charge, 4 or 5 linemen have returned to offseason.  Trust me, the talent will be there.

footballfan-tastic

What was the difference in the success in 2013, 2014 and previous years and the last two? 

Chief_Osceola™

May 03, 2017, 12:55:47 pm #46 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:57:48 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: footballfan-tastic on May 03, 2017, 12:53:49 pm
What was the difference in the success in 2013, 2014 and previous years and the last two? 

OL play, youth on defense, and inability to consistently throw the football.

footballfan-tastic

So 2 years out of the last 10-12, they had the players to be good?   Sounds like a place to avoid.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on May 03, 2017, 08:47:39 pm
So 2 years out of the last 10-12, they had the players to be good?   Sounds like a place to avoid.

I don't follow. What are you trying to say here? Maumelle hasn't even been a school for 10 years.

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 03, 2017, 08:51:25 pm
I don't follow. What are you trying to say here? Maumelle hasn't even been a school for 10 years.

Another sad case of the uninformed.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas