• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas own Malik Monk

Started by mtindian42, April 04, 2017, 04:03:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mtindian42

Is Going pro... Should be the #1 over all pick in the upcoming NBA draft!

AirWarren

Brian G

Quote from: mtindian42 on April 04, 2017, 04:03:01 pm
Wanna wager?

BigLion10

He will be anywhere from 8-15 depending on who picks where

VHSCoach2

And Kentucky continues to ruin college basketball. Are we really that shocked?

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 04, 2017, 07:28:23 pm
And Kentucky continues to ruin college basketball. Are we really that shocked?

mtindian42

April 05, 2017, 06:17:47 am #7 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:21:22 am by mtindian42
Not sure you can blame only Kentucky for Colloge Basketballs down fall. UK and others is taking advantage of what the (NCAA) is allowing.

Monk said he went to UK because he felt like calipari was truthful with him when others recruiting him were dishonest in there approach!

Monk once told his (pee wee coach) I want to play for Kentucky one day... So at a young age he wanted to play for kentucky.

colloge basketball has become a Bussness decision. UK is big Bussness and Arkansas is small Bussness. Monk being Big time chose big Bussness... Nothing personal just Bussness!

He was to big time for EPC so he moved to bentonville. He was to big time for Arkansas so he went to UK. He did what all us do look to better ourselves in life!

Redwolves8526

I haven't seen him projected lower than #10 in any mock draft. Congratulations to this young man. He wrote an article in the player's tribune that was fantastic. If I can get the link, I will post it on here

Redwolves8526

sevenof400

How one does things matters - perhaps most of all - and that's where Monk failed (mightily). 

4real

Not sure this kid ever did anything "wrong". Look, I hate Kentucky as much as the next hog fan with little man syndrome.  But, the times they are a changin and no longer do kids grow up in school culture that promotes pride and school spirit. How many schools still have decent, fiery pep rallies?  How many still have the ribbon pin ons for game day?  Our hog BB program has been cursed sine Nolan went down and Gary Blair was pushed out. 
If my kid was in his shoes, and that's what the kid wanted to do (make the NBA), then I would agree.  He is better prepared for the NBA now and will make more money than all of us on this board combined.
If Monk had been a white kid that made a 36 on his ACT and decided to go to Harvard instead of the UA... well, I think all of you guys would say that's the smart move

mtindian42

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 05, 2017, 08:34:24 am
How one does things matters - perhaps most of all - and that's where Monk failed (mightily).
what did he do?

mtindian42

This is a guy from Arkansas who has a shot to be and all time nba great! The hate for this (kid) from his own state is pathetic!!!!

Redwolves8526

April 05, 2017, 08:51:07 am #14 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:34:13 am by Redwolves8526
Quote from: mtindian42 on April 05, 2017, 08:44:57 am
what did he do?

He didn't do anything. Hog fans will point to his brother, the way his family moved to NWA, etc. But nothing the young man did was wrong. What did he fail at? Beating Arkansas twice? Made it further than them in the NCAA tournament? Going to be a lottery pick? Is that the stuff you are talking about? If not, please clarify.

He was a freshman, so im sure he made some mistakes. But to say he failed mightily in anything is laughable.

Billie Blue

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 05, 2017, 08:34:01 am
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/malik-monk-nba-goodbye-kentucky-basketball/
Very good article I am not going to knock the kid for not going to the Uof A either he felt that it was best for him and his family to go to Kentucky what would we say about all of the kids we have on our teams that we have from other states

bdubyab60

Well this is JMO so take it as you want.

Malik was never coming to Arkansas, never. It was not because anyone else was lying to them. As soon as Kentucky offered he wanted to commit but folks close to him told him to wait it out. You all saw the hate put on that kid when he announced, now imagine 4 years of that. They liked Calipari more than they liked MA, that's straight from them to me. MA was to old fashioned whatever that means and I was told that when he was a freshman.

There was at least one other move talked about before the move to Bentonville. There was some politics involved in the move as well as them trying to make things better for themselves. There is no single reason it was done. These talks started while he was in junior high.

NWA was trying to use them just as much and they got played back. Folks in Arkansas tried to play a game against folks who were used to it and that didn't work out. Im not saying its right but that's the game that was played and Arkansas lost and folks are mad about it.

Bentonville bent over backwards to get him there and they did. Expecting to get a state title out of the deal and that didn't work out and heres why. If anyone watched them play it was basically give monk the ball and get out of the way. maybe they should have bent over backwards and got someone to go with him. However Bentonville had success they will probably never see again on the basketball court.

Kentucky did the same thing. When have you ever seen KY set up two players more than they did Fox and Monk this year.

At the end of the day Monk is going to the NBA which is where he would have been. No matter the highschool he went to, no matter the college he went to but when two sides try to use each other someone is going to lose. Bentonville, Arkansas and Kentucky all lost on the deal. Lepanto didn't lose they just got left behind but you cant tell that to everyone in that town. 3/4 of them have KY shirts on now because of how people treated the Monks after the decision and when he comes home to visit folks will welcome him with open arms along with the rest of his family.

The Monks played the game and they won. Marcus will more than likely have at least two lottery picks under his wing as an agent after this draft. They will be millionaires and that was the goal the entire time.

So you folks that say there is nothing in Arkansas for them, you are wrong. It may not be much but its an entire town and probably an entire corner of the state that will welcome him back each time he does come back.

mtindian42

Missco

Great post Bdub, you summed it up nicely. I have never understood the mentality of most razorback fans.

Lions84

Redwolves8526

Just didn't make sense for him to go to a non-contender at the time. I know Arkansas had a decent year this year, but before that, what did they have to offer him?

Brian G

Quote from: bdubyab60 on April 05, 2017, 11:32:09 am
Bentonville bent over backwards to get him there and they did.
I agree with most of your post but not this part.

Marcus sought out a place to go.  He picked them.

beach bum

April 05, 2017, 04:21:48 pm #22 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:27:52 pm by beach bum
Quote from: mtindian42 on April 04, 2017, 04:03:01 pm

The number one pick for a guy that plays no defense and does not make his teammates better by rebounding or facilitating? At best this guy makes 1 or 2 All Star teams in his career based upon his ability to score in bunches. That would be his HIGHEST POTENTIAL. He will be a solid NBA player, but not worthy of the top 5 pick let alone the #1 pick.

mtindian42

Who is in high school or Colloge great on defense? I'm a defensive guy all day... The facts are there is no Bruce bowens anymore... Bad as I hate to say it a kid should make his name by offense... That's what people want to see...

No one says I'm going to go watch monk tonight because he is a lock down Defender lol...

It's more like... I'm going to drive 300 miles just because this may be my only chance to ever see him play... Man I hope he dose something unreal... So I can tell everyone I know about it...

NBA owners know the Bussness and defense ain't where it's at anymore... It's all about show stoppers and man can monk put on a show! This guy will be a legend... Mark it down!

They don't call you the next Kobe cause you can play defense lol... They call you the next Kobe cause you can put buts in the seats... That's what it is all about... Ticket sales! Monk will sale a lot of those...

Brian G

Quote from: mtindian42 on April 05, 2017, 05:56:12 pm
They don't call you the next Kobe cause you can play defense lol... They call you the next Kobe cause you can put buts in the seats... That's what it is all about... Ticket sales! Monk will sale a lot of those...
Kobe made 1st team All-Defense 9 times!   Nobody has more.
http://www.landofbasketball.com/awards/all_defensive_teams_player_1st.htm

Monk will be more like J.R. Smith in the NBA.

mtindian42

Quote from: B.G. on April 05, 2017, 06:18:52 pm
Kobe made 1st team All-Defense 9 times!   Nobody has more.
http://www.landofbasketball.com/awards/all_defensive_teams_player_1st.htm

Monk will be more like J.R. Smith in the NBA.
monk can play defense. And defense is not why people paid there hard earned money to see Kobe... The wow factor is! Monk has that...

Brian G

Quote from: mtindian42 on April 05, 2017, 06:38:51 pm
monk can play defense. And defense is not why people paid there hard earned money to see Kobe... The wow factor is! Monk has that...

Has struggled defending at the point of attack and on-ball, one might not be sure how versatile he is as a defender ... Low steal and block rates, as well as surprisingly low rebound rate given his explosive athleticism ...

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/malik-monk

He's one dimensional.  He's a heckuva streak scorer and a heckuva dunker.

He's not higher in the draft because of his other deficiencies as noted by experts.

Longfellow

People may not pay to see defense, but defense is why some of these guys get paid as much as they do. For example, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Lebron, Nic Batum, Derrick Favors, Hassan Whiteside, Rudy Gobert, Mike Conley. All these guys are max contracts or near-max contracts, and all are top 5 defensive players at their position

mtindian42

Quote from: Longfellow on April 05, 2017, 06:55:04 pm
People may not pay to see defense, but defense is why some of these guys get paid as much as they do. For example, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Lebron, Nic Batum, Derrick Favors, Hassan Whiteside, Rudy Gobert, Mike Conley. All these guys are max contracts or near-max contracts, and all are top 5 defensive players at their position
boring. For there efforts how many of these guys have rings? I know for a fact pg 13 don't. Malik is better then all these guys...except Paul George and Leonard.

Lenord is the only one on that list that has a ring.

Longfellow

Quote from: mtindian42 on April 05, 2017, 07:20:56 pm
boring. For there efforts how many of these guys have rings? I know for a fact pg 13 don't. Malik is better then all these guys...except Paul George and Leonard.

These guys are competing at an all-star level in the best basketball league in the world. Monk wasn't even the best player at Kentucky. You know who is? De'Aaron Fox. You know why? He's an a excellent defender

Brian G

April 05, 2017, 07:29:12 pm #30 Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:30:54 pm by B.G.
Quote from: mtindian42 on April 05, 2017, 07:20:56 pm

So now it's rings?  You certainly like to move your standards around.  I only recall a lower classification ring in Monks background as a 9th grader.  Good move backing away from your  statement on his defensive ability.

Look, he's a great player.  Probable lottery pick as well.  But let's be honest he's not known as a complete player.  He's not even the best player on his team in college.  He'll likely have a pretty good NBA career but his kind of player(Shooter only) don't make All-NBA.  How about letting him just get drafted, make a team, have some good years and be satisfied with that?  That's a great achievement.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: beach bum on April 05, 2017, 04:21:48 pm
The number one pick for a guy that plays no defense and does not make his teammates better by rebounding or facilitating? At best this guy makes 1 or 2 All Star teams in his career based upon his ability to score in bunches. That would be his HIGHEST POTENTIAL. He will be a solid NBA player, but not worthy of the top 5 pick let alone the #1 pick.

Russell Westbrook only averaged a little over 1 assist per game in college. Players with talent like him can learn how to facilitate.

beach bum

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 06, 2017, 09:08:58 am
Russell Westbrook only averaged a little over 1 assist per game in college. Players with talent like him can learn how to facilitate.

Russell Westbrook also has the biggest competitive drive in the NBA and does not take a single night off EVER... Former and current players all talk about his drive. Russell is an athletic freak and you would never catch Russell laughing at the end of the bench during a loss like Monk. Its all about numbers to Monk. I am not really the biggest fan of Russell Westbrook, but no one compares to that guys drive he has and everyone has to at least marvel and respect at his will to succeed with basically no one around him anymore. You are born with that drive and Monk does not have that.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: beach bum on April 06, 2017, 12:36:00 pm
Russell Westbrook also has the biggest competitive drive in the NBA and does not take a single night off EVER... Former and current players all talk about his drive. Russell is an athletic freak and you would never catch Russell laughing at the end of the bench during a loss like Monk. Its all about numbers to Monk. I am not really the biggest fan of Russell Westbrook, but no one compares to that guys drive he has and everyone has to at least marvel and respect at his will to succeed with basically no one around him anymore. You are born with that drive and Monk does not have that.

You do not know at age 19 if he has that or not.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on April 06, 2017, 01:41:37 pm
You do not know at age 19 if he has that or not.

Perhaps Monk, and many others like him, could develop it if they cared enough about developing NBA-ready skills instead of being money-hungry, one-and-done'rs.

But, alas...

Redwolves8526

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on April 06, 2017, 02:03:21 pm
Perhaps Monk, and many others like him, could develop it if they cared enough about developing NBA-ready skills instead of being money-hungry, one-and-done'rs.

But, alas...

Kobe Bryant and LeBron James never even played college and have some of the best work ethics this game has ever seen. You can develop NBA skills while in the NBA. It's been proven with multiple players.

mtindian42

Some have compared Malik to Russell Westbrook. Some have compared him to D Wade. Some have compared him to kobe.

Lol! This tells me one thing folks just don't know what this guy is about to do...so there all trying to gusse his style...

love him or hate him. (The hype) is coming!

mtindian42

One and dones  are the new way in Colloge basketball. It his hear to stay unless the NCAA changes it.

You can't blame a kid for taking the money in a world were its all there showed to do...monk did what anyone in his position would do... He just got promoted to the height of his profession...

If your boss came to you and said I'm giving you a 4 million dollor raise... Who on here would say no boss I need to get better first... Lol...

Longfellow

You can't compare him to D-Wade. There is no comparison between them. Wade was the best two way shooting guard in the league for roughly 6 years. Monk has worse defensive metrics than James Harden. Wade's game was built on his slashing and finishing, as well as his post game. Monk is reliant on his jumpshot and has no post game that we've seen. Wade also had the ability to be a leader on his teams. Still waiting on that from Monk as well. No one has ever compared Malik Monk to Dwyane Wade. Not even close

Proud Buckaroo

You are aware that one year of college is not an NCAA regulations? .... It's the NBA rule. This really shows what you know. College kids are able to do one year of college and declare for the draft because that's what the NBA calls for. lol. Comparing Monk to Kobe is asinine. I'm glad you removed us from "your" page and blocked me on Facebook. I couldn't take anymore idiocracy..

Brian G

I'm telling you, the comparison that fits best is J R Smith.

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on April 06, 2017, 07:21:51 pm
You can't compare him to D-Wade. There is no comparison between them. Wade was the best two way shooting guard in the league for roughly 6 years. Monk has worse defensive metrics than James Harden. Wade's game was built on his slashing and finishing, as well as his post game. Monk is reliant on his jumpshot and has no post game that we've seen. Wade also had the ability to be a leader on his teams. Still waiting on that from Monk as well. No one has ever compared Malik Monk to Dwyane Wade. Not even close

Dwyane Wade was really a unique player. He had a mid range game like no other during his prime and obviously got to the line a lot and could finish so well around the basket. He also brought it on the defensive end and had a post game against smaller guys. He dominated without virtually shooting any 3 pointers which would be unheard of in today's game. I really enjoyed watching that title he took the Heat to pre-Lebron.

beach bum

Quote from: B.G. on April 06, 2017, 07:55:24 pm

+1

BrianfromCarlisle

Barford has a much greater upside.  He is a scorer, that can shoot, AND plays tenacious D.  Oh, and isn't going to laugh on the bench while losing.

mtindian42

Quote from: B.G. on April 06, 2017, 07:55:24 pm
jr smith has a ring! Thank you for comparing him to a great!

WPWells

Whoa. Apparently the black hole who almost kept lebron from winning a ring is now considered a great

Longfellow

Quote from: mtindian42 on April 06, 2017, 08:07:53 pm
jr smith has a ring! Thank you for comparing him to a great!
A selfish player with deep range who doesn't know when to shut up and be serious. Pretty good comparison

mtindian42

Quote from: Longfellow on April 06, 2017, 08:12:18 pm
A selfish player with deep range who doesn't know when to shut up and be serious. Pretty good comparison
how many rings you got? What I thought! 0 bow down a kiss jrs feet...

WPWells

Can someone get banned from FF simply from sheer stupidity? Asking for a friend

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: mtindian42 on April 06, 2017, 08:13:50 pm
how many rings you got? What I thought! 0 bow down a kiss jrs feet...

How many did you get being the water boy?

0. Get down on your knees. Obviously that's what you're doing here in this thread.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas