• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Semi Picks

Started by BigMan15, February 26, 2017, 12:57:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Central AR

Quote from: General Lee on March 04, 2017, 09:54:53 am
That would be 80% homegrown by my math.

He's talking about the team. You're talking about just the starting 5. lol

bbfan89

Quote from: Central AR on March 04, 2017, 09:32:03 am
You want them to make there own private school league? That already exist with SWCA and others. Be lucky SWCA isn't playing in 2A or the 3A because they actually do recruit but they are a prep team.  I hope you were more than kidding. Have you seen the faculties of these bigger schools in Little Rock? Some of the worst in the state. LRCA, Prep, ECS, and PA all are better destinations as far as academics. If a parent has the money and chooses to send their kid to a public school in that area over one of the private schools then I want to talk to them. It's a no brainer if you have the money. Athlete or not, you want your kid at PA or Prep or ECS, etc.

General Lee

Quote from: Central AR on March 04, 2017, 09:58:24 am
He's talking about the team. You're talking about just the starting 5. lol

All I asked about were the starters.

neds

Quote from: Central AR on March 04, 2017, 09:08:05 am
Before 2012 they were terrible? 2009 to 2012 was pretty good. They had Alex Rose his freshman year before he transferred to Harrison. Lacy was great for them and they also dealt with a lot of injuries those years. I think you meant 2008 or 2007 and down.

Their first year to make it into the state tournament was 2012. I think that is when people start the argument of them being good. Jalen and Alex were good players, but they never made it to state.

neds

Quote from: General Lee on March 04, 2017, 09:54:53 am
That would be 80% homegrown by my math.

You make your own point. 80% home grown in Little Rock is like 100% in a small town. I don't know of a single high school in Little Rock who hasn't had transfers on their sports teams, especially basketball. The NLR team that won the state championship had 4 or 5 transfers on it. McClellan won their championship with their starting five all coming from another high school(s).
So, my point is not so much that these schools were recruiting but that kids in the LR area transfer. Good or bad it is just a fact both for public and private.

cdelaney

Quote from: General Lee on March 04, 2017, 10:16:16 am
All I asked about were the starters.
[/quote. I was saying over the past 5-6 yrs its about 85%.What do you think it is in the conference as a whole- public and private?

General Lee

Don't know but it's 100% at Riverside

RedWolf275

I think if they all pay the 15k out of their own pockets and they are there from elementary on then I have no problem. I'm not sure that's the case but maybe it is.

neds

I'm excited for all four teams. They've worked hard to get to this position.

Central AR

March 04, 2017, 12:50:45 pm #59 Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:52:24 pm by Central AR
Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 04, 2017, 11:57:43 am
I think if they all pay the 15k out of their own pockets and they are there from elementary on then I have no problem. I'm not sure that's the case but maybe it is.

Of course they do. If they were actually paying these kids out of their own pockets, they would have much better rosters. Like I said earlier the only person on the team with an offer is Brasfield. You guys are acting like ECS is a team of world beaters. They do not recruit and it's a shame if Rivetside fans pile on here and make that excuse because they really have no idea what they are talking about. If they recruited they would have a much better team and transfers almost every year. That's not the case. Every player but 1 has been apart of ECS for years.

RedWolf275

Does ECS have scholarships or "financial aid" for people who can't pay the 15k?

Central AR

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 04, 2017, 01:00:02 pm
Does ECS have scholarships or "financial aid" for people who can't pay the 15k?

Every private school has some form of financial aid.

RedWolf275

Ok. That explains some questions I've always wondered about.

BoxNOne

Quote from: RedWolf275 on March 04, 2017, 04:59:11 pm
Ok. That explains some questions I've always wondered about.

LOL! Yes it does.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: bbfan89 on March 03, 2017, 10:19:56 pm
it is absurd to say that ECS and PA and Baptist Prep and virtually every other private school don't pick and choose who they want to fill their rosters with. Everyone has heard about the promises private schools have made to the parents of star players. If you look back over the past 10-15 years you will realize that private schools win a disproportionate amount of state titles. Seemingly every year there are two or three private schools that win state out of the 14 champions. To be fair their are a number of private schools that have taken matters into their own hands by bringing in (notice I did not se the dreaded R word) fresh talent every year. Simply put communities that have ethics find it hard to compete with private schools and cheaters.
Typical "logic" of the anti-private school crowd. In other words, make a bald statement with zero evidence to support it. And then claim that it is irrefutable.

To say that the fact that one or two schools win more than their "fair share" of championships does not establish that they have an unfair advantage. In every state, you will find schools that dominate in one or more sports. This is true whether or not private schools compete with public schools. Often this changes over the long haul. One school rises and the other falls. Some schools have a run of better talent for a period of time. Others may have an exceptional coach.

For one example, how many state championships has Harding Academy won in the last several years where an athlete with the surname of Francis did not play a major part? Also, they lost their football coach before last season. It remains to be seen whether they will regain their previous dominance.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas